Home

Computer switching status

jorus5

I was playing against the computer on moderate, and was in the endgame/mopping up phase, expecting it to resign at any time. However, instead of resigning, it changed it's status towards me to neutral, told me to do the same, and demanded tribute! Does this happen to anyone else? I found it bizarre. Also, does anyone know why the value for Bothan Spynet seems to change as the game goes on? I've seen it as high as 4500 nova and as low as 900. Thanks.

Jorus5

Never had that happen -- but I play 2-on-2 most of the time, and lock teams, so I don't think it can.

Lock teams should prevent it from doing that (even 1-on-1), if you don't want it to do so. Otherwise, just keep attacking it -- it can't force you to be neutral toward it.

If you think you've got the computer whipped, and it won't resign, Bothan Spynet is usually cheap by then (< 1000 Nova) and can help you find that sneaky last few workers, town center, and troop center, that the computer scuttled off and built on the far side of the map from its base, when it saw it was being hammered. It's useful then, but not really much before that in the game. Too expensive.

If you beat the computer to tech 3 really fast and get a fortress up or if you play starting at tech 3 or tech 4 the Bothan Spynet is really cheap right at the beginning. Even if it's 1000 nova, if you have 1000 nova you should buy it. I think it's invaluable. Think about it... you can see where all of his units are and you can see everything he sees.

I've had the computer change status and demand tribute too. If you do what it asks in my experience it will ally with you. Also, I don't know if this is a function of the level or opponents I play against, but it always seems to be the same tribute: 500 of each commodity. That's pretty cheap if you have the funds available. It's better to have an ally to trade with and hold your flank, especially early in the game and they will probably pay the tribute back eventually if you ask (thanks again Chessack ;) ) . I've tried to initiate the change, switched to neutral and sent 500 of each, but it doesn't seem to work that way.

Don't forget, if you are still bloodthirsty you can always change them back to an enemy at the end and finish them off.

That's why I tend to play 2-on-2 with locked teams. I like having an ally. It's good for trading, for protecting a flank -- and it's also fun, in my opinion, to help defend him when he's under attack. I will often send a worker and a few mechs over to help defend him. The worker will slowly build stuff... a mech factory, maybe, a turret or two, a shield generator. Eventually I can protect my ally quite well, and while the enemy forces are wasting their time against our cooperative defenses (which, relatively speaking, don't cost me all that much), I can prepare a knock-out blow with a massive invasion force.

• 4 weeks later...
Originally posted by Artorius

If you beat the computer to tech 3 really fast and get a fortress up or if you play starting at tech 3 or tech 4 the Bothan Spynet is really cheap right at the beginning. Even if it's 1000 nova, if you have 1000 nova you should buy it. I think it's invaluable. Think about it... you can see where all of his units are and you can see everything he sees.

I've had the computer change status and demand tribute too. If you do what it asks in my experience it will ally with you. Also, I don't know if this is a function of the level or opponents I play against, but it always seems to be the same tribute: 500 of each commodity. That's pretty cheap if you have the funds available. It's better to have an ally to trade with and hold your flank, especially early in the game and they will probably pay the tribute back eventually if you ask (thanks again Chessack ;) ) . I've tried to initiate the change, switched to neutral and sent 500 of each, but it doesn't seem to work that way.

Don't forget, if you are still bloodthirsty you can always change them back to an enemy at the end and finish them off.

I hate it when I have the computer switch to nuetral with me. But you are right, if you do as they ask, then you will ge it back later. BUT even when you are enutral to them, they attack you if you try to use hovercrafts to trade at the space port! I hate that and it makes me mad, so I usually end up just sitch to enemy and destroying them

:dtrooper:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived