Home

Help with fighting the Destroyer Droids

markos

Rebels and Wookies are my favorite sides to play. Although the Rebels have Airspeeders it seems that nothing I try works against the Destroyer Droid. When I had played the other day in a 3v3 rm all three of the players on the opposing team were playing the Trade Federation.

Assault Mechs, gernade troopers, and fighters the book says but, it seems that none of these work too well. I have tried the mounted troopers too with no luck. The losses I seem to suffer against a army of DD's sometimes is huge.

Anyone know any good combos for defeating them????

:x-wing:

Any help would be appreciated...................

Mech destroyers are my tactic against them. Air speeders are good at it to. Assault Mechs blow them to bits (as they do with anything). But you need them in mass to be effective. 10 DD will slaughter one assault mech.

If you are wooks stick with mech destroyers, if you are Rebels go with Air Speeders and destroyers!

Air power works quite well against them. They can't fire back, so you have all the time in the world to take 'em out. Bombers and figthers en masse do a nice job.

Grenadiers and assult mechs will work, but you need a lot of them. Put them inside the radius of a shield generator, to take away the shield advantage of the droidekas, and you'll be fine.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, not many good TF players will leave HDD alone without support here are some common combos and their counters for armies with a max of 20 units

Combo 1 (TF): 8 HDD, 4 AA mobiles, 6 MD, 2 AM.

Counter 1a (Gung): 3 famba shield gens, 14 MD, 3 jedi nights (turn three of the HDD, keeping your masters under your shield).

Counter 1b (Reb): 20 air speeders. Take out AA, rest is dead.

Counter 1c (Empire): 8 DarkStorm, 3 AM, 9 MD.

Counter 1d (naboo): boy, can't think of a cheap counter. Naboo units are so expensive.

Counter 1e (Wookies): 10 MD, 5 artil, 5 berserkers.

Well, that's usually what I use :0

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Fighting Destroyer Droids

Generally infantry won't be very effective unless you outnumber the DD significantly.

Grenade troopers have trouble targeting targets that move. Grenade troopers have range issues also. Computer controlled grenade troopers can both retreat and fire at the same time, a technique my fingers have not mastered.

Fighters might work as DD cannot fire back. Fighters can be expensive to develop and usually have long build times.

Assualt mechs are both expensive to build and research. They cause massive damage, particularly v. infantry, buildings and terrain. They are one of the handful of units that can take down castles, err fortresses. From a cost-benefit analysis I don't think they are the best solution to DD masses.

Bombers might work, they have trouble with moving targets but the DD at least cannot shoot back, this being a relevant difference from grenade troopers.

Mech Destroyers are the best counter for DDs or AATs. Their bonuses v. Mechs are strong enough to be worth building regardless of exactly which upgrades are on a race's tech tree.

As a general rule of thumb, if an opponent is trying to overrun your position with a single weapon system (ie DD), the exact counter for that weapon system (Mech Destroyer) is usually the most cost effective resistance. In many games the ultimate winner is the one who manages resources the most effectively.

:atat:

• 2 weeks later...

I can do the thing the comp dose with greand troopers Thing is you hace to control them all the time you jsut wairt for the antmtions of them pulling the string to fire and bonud them abck the adnes already in the air by the time you isssue the command. The comp can jsut do it with like 10 sperate ones at a time. Im not sure what range issue you speak Of casue Greadne trooper outranges a HDD.

If he brings up his DD in line and they stay fraily close to that formation greande troopers are the best conuter. As the spalsh takes them out whole sale if they cluster. they need some edge in numbers but not a big one 1 on 1 they will always lose but when used in groups their power of clusted mechs is god like. A few AM as abckup are good to.

If they spread out alot MD are the best they can take a HDD one on one which is what a running battles with spread out units tends to become.

Fighters unless used in HUGE numbers are not going to take them out before they can run to AA bombers might work but still HDD might be fast enough to escape.

Gungans are the best race to conuter them Since all their units get sheilds.

Jedi can also be effctive if only as a way to spread out the DD and keep fire away from your conuter units. THey can take alot of hits its almost like they have weakness against jedi but I somewho dought it.

I can do the thing the comp dose with greand troopers Thing is you hace to control them all the time you jsut wairt for the antmtions of them pulling the string to fire and bonud them abck the adnes already in the air by the time you isssue the command. The comp can jsut do it with like 10 sperate ones at a time. Im not sure what range issue you speak Of casue Greadne trooper outranges a HDD.

If he brings up his DD in line and they stay fraily close to that formation greande troopers are the best conuter. As the spalsh takes them out whole sale if they cluster. they need some edge in numbers but not a big one 1 on 1 they will always lose but when used in groups their power of clusted mechs is god like. A few AM as abckup are good to.

If they spread out alot MD are the best they can take a HDD one on one which is what a running battles with spread out units tends to become.

Fighters unless used in HUGE numbers are not going to take them out before they can run to AA bombers might work but still HDD might be fast enough to escape.

Gungans are the best race to conuter them Since all their units get sheilds.

Jedi can also be effctive if only as a way to spread out the DD and keep fire away from your conuter units. THey can take alot of hits its almost like they have weakness against jedi but I somewho dought it.

• 2 weeks later...

I usually use 2 sometimes 3 air cruisers against them they blast those DD back into space dust. Those things are expensive indeed but only AA units can fire back and the cruiser outranges almost every unit and it doesn't have a minimal range and can fire on air targets as well. Just make sure the DD aren't in your base couse else you can start rebuilding that part of your base. Jedi starfighters might also work but I haven't tried it yet.

Other than the "bomb them back to the stone age" strategy and using air cruisers which just plain aren't condusive to life, I find that the cheapest way to deal with them is to use a 2:2:1 ratio of artillery to mech destroyers to strike mechs... if you play as the GE like I do, substitude dark troopers for the strike mechs.

Hope I helped... Thanks for Playing... Peace Out...

Originally posted by Kryllith

It works, but intelligent players will have AA troops/artillery and fighters accompanying their HHDs...

Kryllith

Use 2 aircruisers, have them near your base and have your base protected by AA turrets, as you always should

Archived