Home

Help on video cards...please

MustangMatt302

My computer is at maximum right now, except for the internet speed and the video card. I went to Best Buy today and wrote down their video card in-store stock.

1) VisionTek GeForce4 MX 420 ($119.99)

256-bit

VGA & TV-Out/Input

350 MHz RAMDAC

250 MHz Core Clock

166 MHz Memory Clock

64 MB

2) ATI Radeon 8500 ($299.99)

128 MB

TV-Out/Input

3) VisionTek Xtasy GeForce4 Ti 4600 ($399.99)

128 MB

10.4 GB/sec

TV-Out/Input

650 MHz Memory Clock

350 MHz GPU

1.23 trillion operations/sec

136 triangles/sec

256-bit

300 MHz Core Clock

I need to buy the BEST video card out there (with TV-Out/In). I want JK2 to perform nothing less than perfect. Any help, suggestions, opinion, etc... would be gladly accepted.

:jango::fett2::dmaul3:

I think you can forget the Geforce 4 MX. The other two cards you mention are damn fine. Personally i'd rather get a geforce than a Radeon but the GF4 TI is a lot of money. If you don't want to spend that much money you might see some GF3 cards going cheap now the GF4 are out. I recently managed to pick up a GF3 Ti 200 for a decent price.

Just because it says Geforce doesn't mean it's great. For example, a Geforce 4 MX is about on the same par as a low-end standard Geforce 3. Stay away from anything that says MX. There's a reason why it's cheap! Given the fact that the Geforce 4 Ti is so expensive I would probably either go with the Radeon or a nice Geforce 3 card. If you've got the money to burn, get the Geforce 4 Ti. It'll play ANYTHING with the best video options enabled. I wouldn't mind upgrading my video card as well (I have a Voodoo 5 with 64 megs of memory), but I don't have the cash. So in my situation, those are the choices I'd make.

p.s. Why do you want TV out so badly?

Originally posted by UseDaAgression

Whats wrong with the MX?

the MX is about the same as a geforce 2 ti

and the best card out there is the geforce 4 ti 4600, but as stated previously if you dont have the cash, go for the 8500, or a geforce 3 ti 500

but ATI is a canadian company so you prolly dont wanna go with them :)

Originally posted by Nickeleye

Just because it says Geforce doesn't mean it's great. For example, a Geforce 4 MX is about on the same par as a low-end standard Geforce 3. Stay away from anything that says MX. There's a reason why it's cheap! Given the fact that the Geforce 4 Ti is so expensive I would probably either go with the Radeon or a nice Geforce 3 card. If you've got the money to burn, get the Geforce 4 Ti. It'll play ANYTHING with the best video options enabled. I wouldn't mind upgrading my video card as well (I have a Voodoo 5 with 64 megs of memory), but I don't have the cash. So in my situation, those are the choices I'd make.

p.s. Why do you want TV out so badly?

the 4 mx is about the same as a 2 ti, not 3

If price isn't an obstacle, then go with the GeForce4. Keep in mind that you are paying a premium for the top of the line GPU.

I'd encourage you to visit http://www.pricewatch.com

You can find the video ards and sort by best price.

A personal favorite is http://www.newegg.com They are well-regarded. I bought about $400 worth of equipment from them last week.

I need to buy the BEST video card out there (with TV-Out/In). I want JK2 to perform nothing less than perfect. Any help, suggestions, opinion, etc... would be gladly accepted.

:jango::fett2::dmaul3:

the best of the best is the GF4 Ti 4600.

i'd perfer the asus but if they dont have it i'd get that one. if u can afford it that is.

i have an tnt2/duron 1 gig. i wonder how well/bad it'll run jkii. q3 seems to run fine at 1024x768. hopefully jkii won't be much more demanding...

btw, i'd get a radeon 8500 if i had lots of cash.

i just bough my system and had to go with the tnt2 cause of lack of funds, only cost me 55$ canadian though. (thats like 35$ american)

Archived