Home

The AT-AT debate... should they fire air units?

Compa_Mighty

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest DarthMaulUK

AT-AT walkers should be the most feared unit in the game and I totally agree on this. They could in the movies and it should be their advantage over other mechs from other civs.

I DON'T think other Mechs from other civs should have this ability!

DMUK

I'm thinking that when I usually play games with people, the games don't really go on for a long enough time to actually aquire AT-ATs. I usually rush people and win by the time I just get to t3.

So if the AT-ATs are going to have anti-air, thats awesome but are people going to really use them, probably not. In the rarest cases that I do go into t4, and I'm playing someone whos the Galatic Empire, they will HARDLY ever make AT-ATs. On the other hand, this is great news for those who play DM(Death Match), this is a great new chance to lessen the amount of army you need for anti-air support. Well have fun and I hope to see you all on the Zone.

_HaZe

Originally posted by DarthMaulUK

AT-AT walkers should be the most feared unit in the game and I totally agree on this. They could in the movies and it should be their advantage over other mechs from other civs.

I DON'T think other Mechs from other civs should have this ability!

DMUK

I agree with you. PH34R T3H EMPIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest DarthMaulUK

Not everyone likes to finish games inside 20 minutes. This, i feel is the sort of thing that will kill this game.

And when its dead, all the experts will move onto something else.

its such a shame games can be over so fast.

DMUK

I do not have a problem with them having AA capability. However, You should have to research this ability and it shouldn't be too cheap. I don't think you should decrease other attributes, just make the tech expensive to research or increase the cost to build the AT-AT. Personially, I think the Bonus the Heavy Assault mech for the rebels should have is speed. It should move alot faster than it does, but NOT have AA capability.

ya they should definetely make its air targetting upgrade expensive...it should cost alot of ore, why? all things anti air (except troopers i think) cost some amount of ore. hehe make it like be as expensive as a monument perhaps, and give it like an invulnerability vs. troop center units. mwahahha that would be so cool!!!

Im with DMUK on this. Finishing the game off in 20 mins isn't any way to play an enjoyable game. It turns into a race, which becomes all too predictible and dull. I'm gonna go back to doing what I did in AoC and that was to play no rush until tech 4. Gives people breathing room to build an army and defence.

As for At-Ats being able to hit air units, I'm all for it. Personally I find the Galactic Empire the least effective civ. I even prefer the Naboo! Let the new At-At give them the tyranical status they deserve. :D

Originally posted by Clefo

There's a little thing called Balance y'all seem to forget about.. If the AT-ATs can fire at Air Units they should get a reduction elsewhere

I completely agree here. Balance is all-important in making a game be playable. If AT-ATs have their own built-in AA capability, then they should cost more, or count as double units, or something equally penalizing. Else, you can just build a bunch of AT-ATs and automatically win the game -- where's the fun in that?

Guest DarthMaulUK

I don't think it would be right to deprive the Empire of it's strongest unit. There's plenty of counters for AT-AT's. As for the cost, we don't know if it will cost more or less at this stage.

Personally, each civ should be stronger in miltary areas..alot stronger. I think the Gungans should have a better shield with a greater radius and that you would HAVE to enter the shield to shoot at the Gungans, for example. Things like this.

Either way, it would make for a more entertaining game. Yes, balance is good, but in the wonderful world of Star Wars, balance is not always possible.

DMUK

Its true that every so often I like to have long games with big battle and having to manage my economy while making troops so on and so forth. But, games that go on along time just sometimes get boring while the same things happen over and over again. The opponent maybe one whom is not so good and then there goes 1 hour 30 mins out of your personal playing time. I see what you are saying DMUK, but not all games have to be long. There are pros and cons to long and short games. I just prefer the shorter ones. ;)

_HaZe

Yea, give the civs a few small bonus' like darth maul UK said.

TF -

5% + speed to mechs

No bounty hunters and anti-jedi bonus for droidekas

Gungans -

Increased gungan shield size

Gungan can build underwater monuments?

Naboo -

Jedi regenerate health

Rebels -

Increased bomber range

Empire -

Light anti-air attack for at-ats

or

increased fire rate

Wookies -

Technology that allows wookie troops to only count 1/2 a pop. slot

Then maybe change a few extra stuff for balance.

How do like that idea?

Sithcloak

Personally. I think that AT-ATs should be able to fire at aircraft, However I think that it should be a percentage of the time. Like 10% of the oppurtunities for shots should actually work to represent the aircraft travelling through the AT-AT's limited vertical firing arc. Lets be honest, an AT-AT can not tilt it's head up at a 45 degree andgle to target fighters and bombers in the atmosphere, but it's logical to assume that if the aircraft were performing a strafing/bombing run against the AT-AT, the aircraft would probably fly through the AT-AT's firing arc at some time.

So yes, it should be able to shoot aircraft, but not all the time. Maybe it can shoot Speeders all the time, seeings how they are repulsorlift vehicles and not true "aircraft", therefore limiting their ceiling (max altitude).

As far as "unbalancing" the game, you and I both know that this is going to be an upgrade, not a standard, on AT-ATs. Which will probably be the last available upgrade, which means someone will have to spend alot of nova to fully upgrade an AT-AT before it even became athreat to your air units. Not to mention, last time I checked, the units which "own" the AT-AT are not air units (The exception being the Rebel's speeders) i.e. Jedi, Mech destroyers, mounted troops. This upgrade wouldn't help an AT-AT stay alive any longer anyways. And even the exception, the snow speeders, are shielded and they totally obliterated AT-ATs, so you honestly think the AT-AT could shoot down 3... 2... even 1 shielded Speeder before the speeder killed it? I think you overestimate their chances!

Very good points. My personal opinion is that people at LA are proffesionals and know what they're doing. They wouldn't do anything to wreck balance in tha game.

I think AT-AT's shooting air units is something NECESSARY to the game. You can prove it by playing The Battle of Hoth in the Vader campaign. Lose all your AA troopers, and a single airspeeder will kill your AT-AT's, including Veers.

Besides every civ will get a boost, there's no reason to think that the Empire will be overpowered.

I think AT-ATs should have a melee attack form. Right now a group of mounted troops can fell an AT-AT if they get too close, but that shouldn't be the case as the risk of getting stepped on should be too great.

They should also be able to step over buildings and troops that are in the way and smash down trees. Walls should hold them up though.

They should also be able to shoot at air.

However this would require a game balance adjustment. They should be more expensive and the upgrades to do all that should be very expensive. Furthermore airspeeders should get a special attack against them and Jedi and pummels should do more damage to them. Maybe their lasers should be a little less powerful against buildings.

Still... five or ten of them will win the game for the empire.

Originally posted by Artorius

I think AT-ATs should have a melee attack form. Right now a group of mounted troops can fell an AT-AT if they get too close, but that shouldn't be the case as the risk of getting stepped on should be too great.

They should also be able to step over buildings and troops that are in the way and smash down trees. Walls should hold them up though.

They should also be able to shoot at air.

However this would require a game balance adjustment. They should be more expensive and the upgrades to do all that should be very expensive. Furthermore airspeeders should get a special attack against them and Jedi and pummels should do more damage to them. Maybe their lasers should be a little less powerful against buildings.

Still... five or ten of them will win the game for the empire.

Now, that's overpowering them!

they should be a unique unit, IMO. maybe the one at the mech factory could be like the prototype, and the one in the fortress can be really powerful and stuff....but cost about as much as a monument, or about 3/4 the cost of a monument.

Archived