Home

Will JK2 run on a Voodoo 5?

[xeno]DarkStar

Yeah... I'm trying to get it for the single player... Haven't even bothered running MP yet...

Playing around with r_gamma has yielded some results, though the problem is I have to exit the game and reset it to use it. Oh well.

-Chicanery

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chicanery-

I just got done testing this on my machine. To get the default gamma, change the three variables so they read as follows:

seta r_ext_gamma_control "1"

seta r_ignorehwgamma "1"

seta r_gamma "1"

"1" is the default gamma setting for the game, but if you need it higher, try using 1.2 or some decimal. It seems to be in very fine increments.

Another thing-- if you want to do it mid game, bring down the console by hitting shift+tilde, then type:

r_gamma "whatever"

After that, typing the command "vid_restart" will reload your current map with the new display variables.

-ds

I just installed a v5 5500 into my wife's machine (a p3 450), and only allowed it to load the newest drivers 1.08.04 for win98

I was prepared to do the wickedgl tweak, but there is no need. It runs just fine...I see sky, am getting 33fps or so...pretty smooth considering.... Once in a while, when just spawning, it'll pause and freeze for a couple of seconds...but then it runs just fine.

I dont know why I didnt need the wickedgl drivers...except that perhaps I'm only running win98 not SE, I didnt load ANY 3dfx drivers until I loaded the 1.08.04.

has anyone else gotten their v5 running w/o the wickedgl drivers?

one question: do you think the wickedgl drivers would help my fps? Like I said, I'm getting 33fps, down to 25fps or so with one other user in the game...resolution is 640 x 480.. ??

thank you

RW

Hey guys i got RTCW to run on my voodoo 5500 pci card. Go to http://www.3dfx.com and dl the user made drivers ppl have made drivers for XP. And theres another way to do that wicked gl fix u dont have rename anything just copy these files to the dir _ISREG32.dll , ogl_hres.dll and opengl32.dll That will fix JO and anything else. I use drivers ppl made and my games run fine. Hope this helps u guys out.

My system specs:

1.3ghz amd anthlon

256k ram

Windows XP

40 gig HD

not really sure on the rest its a prebuilt HP pavilion model # 7935

Hi I notice everyone is worried about the sky textures but the question I have is which drivers are people using?

Also if you don't use the Whicked version of the update and just input the open gl files can you change the screen resolutions?

Thanks

Voodoo5500

well, I followed the step described above, and i couldnt get the wickedgl fix to work for Voodoo 3 2000. i know it hasn't worked because i do not get the "press C to continue" message on load up. :(

does anyone know how to get it working with Voodoo3? or what might i be doing wrong?

PLEASE HELP!

wickedGL DOES WORK!!! previously i had changed th JediOutcast.exe to quake3.exe, but that's the wrong .exe.

jk2mp.exe and jk2sp.exe need to be changed to quake3.exe each...

now i get skies and even the old scroll text in the start of single player - however, it's VERY blurry, but the menu screens and the save games are sorted! :D

Does anyone know how to sharpen the famous scrolling text, or focus it, at the start of singleplay?

instead of altering the games exe's u can add JK II into wicked gls game list, simply open its cfg (cant remeber its name) and under the line for hitman (if you want it in alphabetical order) add:

"Jedi Knight II SP",jk2sp.exe, opengl32.dll

"Jedi Knight II MP",jk2mp.exe, opengl32.dll

and amazing, its in the wickedgl data base, anyway, i think the lines read like that, just copy the structure of everything else (dont have WGL handy at the mo so this was all off the top of my head)

Originally posted by Rebel736

Hey guys i got RTCW to run on my voodoo 5500 pci card. Go to http://www.3dfx.com and dl the user made drivers ppl have made drivers for XP.

they rnt user made, they are made by the people that used to work for 3dfx, but because 3dfx was closed down they cant use that name, hence x3dfx, and thats the reason for them being so stable

I'm running Win98SE, x3dfx 1.08.04 , WickedGL drivers. I've renamed the .exes and what not, and I can get into the game. But as soon as I get to the menu in the it totally locks up. Any idea if there is a setting that needs to be changed elsewhere? This is my #6 at the Outcast LAN that's going on right now! Five computers at the LAN is such an odd numma.

HELP!!!!!

Guest Darth Massacator

That solution using the WickedGL drivers on JKII were right on the mark! I use the drivers for Tribes 2 and never bothered to think it'd work on other Q3-based engines. I had similiar problems that others have posted, such as lack of cutscenes, poor fps (granted I was somewhat expecting it being I'm using a V5500 agp), etc.

At any rate, if anyone needs reassurance on using the Wicked GL drivers, my stats are (all drivers updated):

PIII 700mhz

SB Live

V5500 AGP

Latest 4-in-1 Via Drivers

512 ram

Win '98

USR Ext. 5686 modem

Edit: Forgot to mention I have turbo turned off in my CMOS.

And if you still have doubt, I used the same tip on MOHAA and the game finally bloody rocks!! I can view cutscenes, and the option menus aren't a garbled mess.

Well, No luck here. I did everything that was suggested here and no change.

Downloaded WickedGL, change the cfg settings, pointed to the JKII directory and installed. Checked to make sure open32gl.dll file is in the proper directory(even copied into every directory. But NOTHING. Still blank screen on startup, and lockups on loading games.

I've got a temporary workaround from another thread, so I can still play the game. But this fix didn't do anything for me?

Athlon 1gHz

Voodoo 5

256 kRAM

Fortissimo II Sound

Any ideas?

Slim,

ok...i have a V5 and tried using the Wicked GL trick....renaming the exes and what not.....when i try to start the game....the glsetup command window comes up then I get a popup dialog that says error. anyone know what the problem is?

just want to say thanks to everyone who contributed to this wee voodoo faq. bought the game a couple of days ago and was quite upset to see what looked like the scrolling text through milk bottle bottoms :p hopefully once ive downed wicked and got ma x3dfx drivers i should be sorted :) and to think i nearly returned it

Guys, I am not sure if you heard about this or not but there has been a GlideXP Project in the works since last year when Windows XP was released.

http://nat.mine.nu:81/3dfx/glidexp/

The recommended setup is to install the original 3dfx Windows 2000 Drivers WHQL from http://www.voodoofiles.com, download GlideXP (it only comes with glide2x.dll and glide3x.dll) and copy and paste these files into your Windows\System32 directory.

That's all there is to do, all your games will work with no problems. I run MoHAA and it works fine. Obviously it has some tears but maybe it is just my setup. You tweakers can probably make them disappear and if you do, give me a shout! :)

Archived