[xeno]DarkStar

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmhh.....I have one of the slowest systems here.....:) I've got:

Celeron 400

128 MB RAM

Voodoo 5

After downloading and installing WickedGL, I can see the scrolling text (as crisp as you please) and the cutscenes. I can also see the sky. The game runs excellently, even at 1024 x 768, although I'm thinking of cutting a few options down. Anyway, thanks for posting all the information. This has really helped!

it shoulfd i have voodoo3 and use wicked know it runs good i even turned up settings, i run on 500mhz,128 ram and game run fine, i not sure what all these people are complaining so much about, yes game not perfect but its good. put in wicked gl in search a=then find one that supports quake 3 and follow directions.

Hi all,

I've got a:

Voodoo5 5500 using the 1.04.01 drivers (http://www.x3dfx.da.ru/)

Athlon 1200/266

Win 98se

Only tried the demo so far, with the standard 3dfx ogl drivers the game run ok but no intro movie, with WickedGL it runs flawless flash.gif. Great graphics! i love the shadows, but the stormtroopers look like dorks nerd.gif.

The renaming routine is not necessary (as already pointed out by some), just copy opengl32.dll from the Metabyte/Wickedgl directory to the GameData directory.

At the x3dfx forums (http://pub43.ezboard.com/fx3dfxfrm2) they also suggest Voodoo5 users to add two lines to the config file (jk2config.cfg):

seta r_ext_fxt1 "1"

seta r_ext_texture_compression_fxt1 "1"

As far as I understand this makes the game use a compressed texture format (fxt1) best suited for Voodoo5's, but the game run fine also without these lines for me. If you have graphic trouble you might wanna try it.

boldred.gif Fafner

VOODOO 5 5500, AMD athlon 1700+, windows XP pro edition

thats what im running

i cannot for the life of me figure out how to get jk2 running

im not sure if i need to update the drivers or update directx

anyone running a similar setup know how to fix this problem?

i downloaded wickedgl, tried copying the dlls to the folder...didnt work

tried editing the cfg of wickedgl, added the lines of code...the program wouldnt start

tried changing the name of the exe and all that mess...didnt work

NOTHING IS WORKING!!! ARGH?!?!!

the only thing i can think of the driver

what driver are you guys using?

i think im just using the drive that windows supplied because i couldnt find another driver that worked...

ive been reading the boards and checking all over the net...i cant seem to get my v5 workin ARGH!!!!!!

please help...

• 2 weeks later...

Heres what to do step by step !

First go to (http://www.voodoofiles.com) go to the 3rd party drivers and download the Amigamerlin 2.1 or the dozer 1.1 for xp these drivers are the best in all the web, you can also use the original tools for the voodoo 5 5000. Try to read the readme file before install the drivers :c3po:

Next step look in the drivers package for the wickedgl forder thats cointans the full version, included in dozer or amigamerlin drivers . Take the wickedgl file and rename the file to opengl32.dll.

Put this file in the lucasart gamedata folder. Now you are all set for kick some buts!

Im in a PIII , Voodoo5 5000 agp, 384 rams of memory

all works fine!!!

AMD K6-2 450MHZ

64MB PC100 RAM

Voodoo3 2000 PCI

ESS PCI Audiodrive (onboard sound)

Windows 98SE

Using the WickedGL drivers solves all my problems but one. THE OPENING CRAWL! It is incredibley blurry and unreadable, as stated before. I would give anything to see it properly! if anyone has any suggestions on how to fix this, please post!

• 2 weeks later...

I've read everyones post's about low f.p.s's and slow level loading times and after trying all the tips found on the board this is how I solved my low f.p.s problem:

Spec:

Windows 2000 service pack 2

Amd Athlon 1.33ghz

20gb Seagate

nvidia Riva TNT2 64 32mb

First check you are doing this:

-running directx8.1

-disabled your virus scanner

I first tried game with my Voodoo3 3000 which was very slowwww.

Swopped it for my nvidia riva tnt2 but this fix might work with the voodoo if i can be bothered swopping them again.

So....in the game under console I read that JO was using a voodoo 3 gl driver when I was running with my nvidia riva tnt so I installed the latest DetonatorXP ( for win2k ) driver but it was still slooowww as heck. So i searched for the gl driver "opengl32.dll" and found it in c:\windows\system\opengl32.dll then I just moved it out of there into somewhere safe in case it didnt work and hey presto! all problems solved! the game is now super smooth with loading times of levels around 20 seconds, and quick loads of 10secs. :D

This worked for me anyway I cant guarantee it workin anywhere else but try it and see, just check what Gl drivers ure video card is using make sure they are upto date and are not clashing with other vid drivers.

Im gonna try the fix with my voodoo so i'll update 2morrow.

• 3 weeks later...

:confused::mad:

Celeron 700

VooDoo 5 5500 PCI

192MB RAM

Windows XP Pro

I've tried the WickedGL fix...NOPE...WickedGL wouldn't even load. I've tried using dozer 1.1 ...NOPE...the game started, but with a black screen...and then locked up the computer...and really screwed up the voodoo....had to un-install tehn re-install the voodoo to fix it...

Any advice???

Hi at all,

....I'm quite new in this forum, but, first of all, I have to say thanks at all you for having found out how to run JO with our common video cards... :)

....There are a cup of days that I'm surfing around the web looking for the best drivers for my voodoo5 5500 that can not only be suitable for JO, but for other games too (...I've a brother who likes Flight Sim....:D )

...so, after a big format, now I'm trying the different drivers, from Dozer 1.1 to Amigamerlin 2.1, followed by the Undergrounds and x3dfx 1.08...

...I have to say that my configuration is the following:

PIII 800 133Mhz

512Mb ram 133Mhz

Voodoo5 5500 AGP

SB Live! 5.1

Monitor Philips 107T

Windows XP Home Edition

...now, I'm experiencing the following problems:

* JO is pretty playable in 640x480 mode, but when I try to switch to 800x600 or better 1024x768, all freeze up and I gotta reboot for an error caused by the 3dfxvs.dll, which is a file coming with the drivers...

* with other games I'm having serious problems of graphics...there are black horizontal lines appearing in the video or the images are flashing....and sometimes the desktop appears with lighted colours...

...so, my question is...with the previous configuration, which is the better driver combination?

...thanks for all, and sorry If I was a little (...but just a little :D ) verbose...

...bye...

Nick :) :)

• 3 weeks later...

ummmm... I'm having the same problem as you guys, and I have a Voodoo 4500 pci, and I have tried wickedGL, is there some specific way to set it up? I'm still havng the same problems. every other quake III engine game I have works better than perfect, and that stuff about 3dfx being out of buisness doesn't justify not having the game compatible with it. It worked with you guys, and one of you had a voodoo 4 and signed up to say thank you for the tip. please help! this is a $40 game, and I like my accelerator.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I just found this thread and wanted to try it myself with my VooDoo 3 3000 card. I checked out their site and it is no longer up and running. Does anybody know where to find a copy of this software? I checked http://www.versiontracker.com, http://www.fileplanet.com, http://www.google.com, and http://www.download.com. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all.

Thank you very much. Those drivers made a hugh difference. I was only getting about 20-25 fps and the game would crash after finishing the first leve. Now I am getting about 40-45fps and the game runs beautifully.

PIII 1.1ghz 256mb Ram 40gb HD VooDoo 3 3000 PCI WinME

Archived