Home

Mara Jade or Jan Ors voice?

CorranHornjr

I don't know if anyone actually downloaded the mp3 file of the NRI transmittion, but I did. The voice of Jan sounded alot like the girl who did mara Jade in Mystery of the Sith. Just without the edge in her voice. Kyle also sounded kinda...not as cool. He sounded like a guy who wants to be this tough guy...

but he still sounded cool I guess.

i am with you that jan's voice is the same as mara jade's from mots. but i like kyle's new voice. he sounds like what he is, a mercenary. in mots he sounded like a jedi master (which he was in mots). in jedi knight he sounded a little more like a rebel pilot or a smuggler than a mercenary. i know a smuggler and mercenary don't have much difference, but i think a smuggler is less hard as a mercernary. anyways, that's my 2 cents, wait i need to make a phone call make that 1 cent

Just out of curiosity, did any of you notice the voice of the Imperial officer in the comms transmission you hear in the mp3 file? It sounds like the voice of the guy who did the briefings in the Tie Fighter Collector's Edition CD.

Btw, just a bit of trivia for people in the UK: the voice of the briefing officer in the Tie Fighter Collector's Edition was provided by Guy Siner. If any of you remember that old comedy series "Allo, Allo" on BBC 1 in the 80's/90's set in France during WWII, Guy Siner played Lt. Gruber, the somewhat camp Nazi officer who was very fond of his "little tank".

Originally posted by RichyBoy

Btw, just a bit of trivia for people in the UK: the voice of the briefing officer in the Tie Fighter Collector's Edition was provided by Guy Siner. If any of you remember that old comedy series "Allo, Allo" on BBC 1 in the 80's/90's set in France during WWII, Guy Siner played Lt. Gruber, the somewhat camp Nazi officer who was very fond of his "little tank".

What?!? :eek: Really? :eyeraise: Well slap me round the head with a wet kipper. :eek:

As for Kyle's voice...it's a bit more like the one who originally did his voice in Dark Forces...sort of deeper and more gravelly...if you take my meaning, sir. :c3po:

As for Jan...hmmm...I'm not sure if she sounds like Mara from MotS. Besides...didn't they say they got an all new cast for the voices? :eyeraise: (except for Lando, of course)

The one doing Mon Mothma pretty much has her spot on, I reckon.

BTW, welcome to the forums, eastcoast2895. Hope you're enjoying your stay. Here... *hands over a chocolate Jedi Medallion* There you go. ;)

Originally posted by StormHammer

What?!? :eek: Really? :eyeraise: Well slap me round the head with a wet kipper. :eek:

As for Kyle's voice...it's a bit more like the one who originally did his voice in Dark Forces...sort of deeper and more gravelly...if you take my meaning, sir. :c3po:

As for Jan...hmmm...I'm not sure if she sounds like Mara from MotS. Besides...didn't they say they got an all new cast for the voices? :eyeraise: (except for Lando, of course)

The one doing Mon Mothma pretty much has her spot on, I reckon.

BTW, welcome to the forums, eastcoast2895. Hope you're enjoying your stay. Here... *hands over a chocolate Jedi Medallion* There you go. ;)

Hey I am Jealous, I didn't get a chocolate Medallion when I joined :p Anyways I believe thats EastCoast2895's Second Medallion hehe.

Originally posted by Jedimaster74

Hey I am Jealous, I didn't get a chocolate Medallion when I joined :p Anyways I believe thats EastCoast2895's Second Medallion hehe.

Hey *RichyBoy's brow furrows as he strains to remember the events of the past few weeks* neither did I :( !

i've been waiting for this day since i found this forum, but i got another chocolate medallion? could you possibly tell me where.... by the way can i eat it or is it just for decoration, but since i apparently have two, maybe one to eat one to look at.

and to zek, you think kyle sounded energetic and yound in mots. out of all the voices i've heard (jk, mots, jkII, yep beat me now, i haven't been able to play dark forces) mots is the worst, but i always thought it fit the bill of the aging kyle katarn who took the role of jedi master. maybe its just me, but i can't remember a time when kyle sounded young in mots, maybe i forgot because there was so little kyle talking in mots

Oh yes, that splendid old chap(sorry, I'm trying eagerly to be Alec Guinness these days, but my Finnish accent limits it way too much) :rolleyes: ). I only saw the series after I had already played Tie Fighter, but when I went it through again, I also found the connection between them; I think LEC made the right choice when hiring Guy originally to do voiceover, because of his excellent British accent and "Allo, Allo" showed that he suited terrifically to the role of an officer, even though it was, like you said, "campy" and MUCH less formal than what he did in the game. :D

lol - cheers Stormy ;) .

Originally posted by Lord_FinnSon

Oh yes, that splendid old chap(sorry, I'm trying eagerly to be Alec Guinness these days, but my Finnish accent limits it way too much) ). I only saw the series after I had already played Tie Fighter, but when I went it through again, I also found the connection between them; I think LEC made the right choice when hiring Guy originally to do voiceover, because of his excellent British accent and "Allo, Allo" showed that he suited terrifically to the role of an officer, even though it was, like you said, "campy" and MUCH less formal than what he did in the game.

Yeah, he was good. His voice had that clipped edge to it that was very... Imperial. The only problem was that when I found out it was him, I kept waiting for someone to mention "Ze fallen Madonna wiz ze big boobies" :D !

Actually, I've been playing through some of those old SW games a lot recently. The only thing that grates slightly when playing those old games (apart from the ancient graphics :D ) is the way that all the actors pronouce the second "c" in Coruscant. I guess George must have altered it's pronouciation for Episode I.

It seems strange though, that nothing Lucasarts has made makes me feel as completely immersed in the SW universe as I felt when I played Tie Fighter (apart from the DF/JK series ;) ).

Even X-Wing Alliance didn't feel quite the same, apart from the end where you fly into the heart of a fully 3D textured Death Star II! Hopefully JK2 will reawaken all those feelings. I haven't been this excited about a game since - well, ever really :D !

I like the voices.

Mon Motha is dead on right.

The Imperial Officer also sounds good too, just like from the movies.

Jan Ors DOES sound like Mara Jade from MotS if you ask me. Though she doesn't sound anything like the one from JK1 which I thought was pretty good.

I like the new Katarn voice too. He sound more... sinister. Like a bad guy, except... good.

-Caster

While some of you have seen episodes of this series and we are still on the subject, I would like to bring up a common issue, which can be heard when an English speaking actor has to play a German: he pronounces the words just like he would normally do and only brings along accent, which is quite often exaggerated as well. Real German would have problems with some words(if he/she really would speak in English with a French Cafe owner during WWII :rolleyes: ) and he/she probably even threw there some words of his/her native language to place "holes". We Finnish, for example, pronounce words just like they are written, so our English may easily sound very clumsy, but like my English teacher used to say, most important thing from our non-English speaking Europeans point of view is that others understand what we are trying to say, not how well we pronounce each words.

Now, back to actual topic again, I think Jan sounded first a little bit like Angela Harry, who played her in JK, but then when she goes on, her voice starts to remind me of Mara. What is even more weird though, is that this new actor behind Kyle sounds a little bit like the one doing Lando's voice in Galactic Battlegrounds and that guy seriously went overboard time to time. I wonder what happens, when he and REAL Lando meet up finally? ;)

Well it seems that it isn't mara jades voice from Mots according to JR2000Z. Thanks for the info. But it does sound alot like it. Mon Mothma does sound alot like the original actress. Though a little to british to me..

Kyle says...

"pros like us out on blue milk runs like this..."

"I hate it when you say troubling.."

Those lines just don't sit well...though he does sound more and more like the one from JK..now that I listen to it. It is growing on me. But those lines sound alot like an "I'm the stud of this game" type line....or an Arnold S one liner from his action movies...

We will just have to see how the script turns out...But all i care about is just playing the game really..but i like it when the whole game makes me feel like I am more into the game.

And the guy in the transmittion does sound like the Tie Fighter guy...

If people are wondering, you can look all this up on the Internet Movie Database (IMDB):

http://www.imdb.com (great site btw)

The guy who did the voice of Kyle in MotS did a lot of other voices for games and cartoons (for example he did the voice of Tuxedo Mask in Sailor Moon, and the voice of Spider-Man in the rather good game that was out on just about every system), and was in Elite Force as well.

That reminds me, the people who posted reviews of JK2 at Amazon.com are pretty sad... 99.9999% of them haven't even played the game and they gave it five stars. ; p They should have a rule where you can't post a "review" until the game is released.... sigh

Like it's been said, the actors are all new, so it isn't the same Kyle.

He does sound a bit macho, but that fits perfectly with the plot. He doesn't want to be a quiet Jedi. It was stated somewhere (I think by Brett Tosti) that Kyle now thinks of himself as a Han Solo sort of character. He and Mon Mothma never really got along, and his intensified attitude vents itself on her. So like I said, he's supposed to be a bit cocky.

Personally, I'm not disappointed at all with the new voices. I would've liked Jan's original voice, but if you listen to the recording you'll see that she's more sarcastic in this one, and the new voice fits that. Kyle sounds like he's put on a couple of years, but he hasn't lost a bit of steam.

And in less than a week, we'll all be seeing that he is at the top of his game (no pun intended), now more than ever.

I LOVE Kyle's new voice. It sounds like the old Kyle from Dark Forces, only older (which is good, ofcourse) also, he sounded alot more like a mercenary, instead of a Jedi (which is also good). In Jedi Knight the actor was just plain BAD (sorry, just IMO), and his voice didn't really convey any sense of caution, or thought, it was too "up beat" if you know what I mean. The Kyle in MotS (as stated above) sounded like a Jedi Master, and too entegetic... But this new Kyle is right on the money... Same as the old Kyle, and the FIRST Kyle, from Dark forces... Some of the dialouge Kyle had was alittle strange... But I think I'll get used to it.

As for the other speaking... Some of the things Jan said sounded alittle dry, and without emotion, but ofcourse, it's kind of hard to tell on such a small clip. I also agree with the above posters, that Jan sounded very, very similar to Mara in MotS... As for the rest... Mon Mothma sounds fine. The Imperial officer also sounds very good.

Overall... It sounds like there will be some good voice acting this time around, harkening back to the Old Dark Forces days aswell :). I actually had flashbacks of Kyle saying: "An imperial Stormtrooper that can take out a Rebel base that quickly? I should've kept working for the Empire..." While I was listening to Kyle :).

Originally posted by Brick

LOL... One of my favorate Dark Forces lines! It's a classic Kyle line.

I didn't think there was anything at all wrong about anything he said in the mp3. Like I said before, it fits his current status.

Agreed.

i cant wait to have a whole game full of dialogue like that...it will be sweet...btw, anyone know if LA is goign to release mp3s of the musical scores (as they did in force commander / GB) that was fun having the imp rage mix playing in the cd...heh..

Archived