Linux Server howto

madrebel

Originally posted by gimli_aa

Just bumpin this.

What Linux your runnin

What options you have

How you installed it

What specs your box has =)

When I try to start my server. It stops after is has found the ravengames broadcast site.. maps and all that stuff seems to load fine, the server.cfg file seems to load without any problems..

Just get a hitch error... and i dont know why =)

thanx

add +map ffa_bespin or whichever map you wish to start with. Without that in the path the server doesnt know which map to load even if its in your mpdefault.cfg or server.cfg.

my server specs are

p3 500 128megs rammy t1 line SuSE 7.2 = 17 player ffa

p2 450 512megs rammy t1 line SuSE 7.2 = 17 player cty

p3 500 384 megs rammy 1.1 meg sdsl Debian 2.4.18 = 11 player sabers only ffa

ive never seen more than 63% utilization on the cpu for any of these machines with like 1% memory usage. I hate SuSE but im forced to run it at work =( debian is muy bueno.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by madrebel

add +map ffa_bespin or whichever map you wish to start with. Without that in the path the server doesnt know which map to load even if its in your mpdefault.cfg or server.cfg.

That's strange. His setup was working perfectly, he just didn't know what it was supposed to look like. I don't have +map in my command line and it loads the map from the server.cfg just fine. I guess we're just lucky. ;)

Originally posted by ZeroGravitySE

Whats the command for running the server in the background?

Add a '&' to the end of your command

e.g.

./jk2ded +exec server.cfg &

Once you do this, it will run the server and set you at a blank line beneath the initilization text as normal. Then, hit enter and it should bring you back to the command line.

Do a ps -ax and you should see the server humming along.

matt

OK

can anyone come up with a solution for my problem..

I got the linux server up and running OK. I set a password on the server when it was running as a duel server so only myself and my friends could play. I have changed my cfg back to running an FFA server however g_needpass 1 is still set!

It makes no difference if I specify set g_needpass 0 in the cfg file it simply will not change back. When i try and change g_needpass at the system console or with rcon it reports that g_needpass is read only and cannot be changed.

Now just wtf is up with that? I noticed that the linux server seems to load some sort of file into the virtual machine at startup. Does this have anything to do with the prob?

Cheers

Cen

Someone posted on another thread that this binary has a memory leak and a possible exploit like the 1.29 Q3 release. Anyone experience anything? So far my machine has been up and running fine for the past 4 days.

Dual p3 800 512MB Ram 100mb fiber optic line

Red Hat 7.2 = 8 player ffa

Originally posted by Cenuij

OK

can anyone come up with a solution for my problem..

I got the linux server up and running OK. I set a password on the server when it was running as a duel server so only myself and my friends could play. I have changed my cfg back to running an FFA server however g_needpass 1 is still set!

It makes no difference if I specify set g_needpass 0 in the cfg file it simply will not change back. When i try and change g_needpass at the system console or with rcon it reports that g_needpass is read only and cannot be changed.

Cen

what you need to do is add this to the server.cfg:

seta g_password ""

-or- type this into the remote console

seta g_password none

-or- via rcon (without rcon pass set)

/rcon rconpass seta g_password none

-or- via rcon (with rcon pass set)

/set rconpassword rconpass

/rcon seta g_password none

You need to use the word 'none' in the console and rcon because the "" are removed and if you type /rcon seta g_password "" it'll just think you're asking what the password is. ;)

Good thread, needs a bump, aaaand, I've got a problem.

Trying to run a Linux ded server on BSD. I've followed the install instrauctiona dna made some changes to config files etc after having a read here. I also noticed someone else a few pages down saying they had probs with BSD because of the emu installation but unfortunately, what the exact problems were he didn't say.

The hassle I've got is that after I enter the command line nothing happens. Nothing at all. No errors, no server, no nothing. Cursor drops down to the next line, and then nada.

As fas as I can see, the setup, install and config is all fine, so all I can think of are possibly permission problems on files or directories, maybe the server doesn't like being run from my user's home directory (I have root on the server, but it's not mine, so I don't like creating directories under /usr/local/games etc willy nilly) or maybe something to do with BSD.

I have the server in /home/dorkyboy/jk2 which I have set as a+x as are all the files in that directory including the base dir and any files in there. I've also tried chowning everything to root and chrgp to wheel because my Tribes 2 server didn't want to run before I did that, but it hasn't helped at all.

My config file follows:

<snip>

// Server Config

seta sv_hostname "AE Bubberdome Jedi Stylin'"

set g_motd "COMRADE BUBBER PITIES THE LAZY IMPERIALIST!"

rconPassword "password"

set sv_pure 1

set sv_maxclients 8

set g_inactivity 0

sv_maxRate 10000

set g_allowvote 1

set timelimit 20

set capturelimit 20

set g_autoMapCycle 1

map ffa_bespin

</snip>

So, anyone got any clues?

Just regular stuff..

./jk2ded +exec server.cfg + map ffa_bespin as suggested at the top of the thread.

I'm also talking to the guy who owns the machine..he's been trying to run a server as well apparently and is getting exactly the same result. He suspects it's to do with the BSD/Linux Emulation?

I am running a server on a FreeBSD 4.5 box and it works fine. I had to change the elf to linux as mentioned above. Other than that it works fine. However I am using the default config, I changed everything to what I needed but I haven't added anything extra yet. I am running on a pIII 500 with 384 megs of ram, I am going to buy two more 256 meg sticks this weekend. (been wanting to do that for a while, running MySQL and Apache, sshd, etc so I need more memory anyway). However, instead of using screen (which is a good idea) I did "nohup <server commands> &" then hit enter and typed "bg 1" to send it to the background (I was logged in remotely when I did it).

I have a question though, I am using a dynamic IP. So does that mean I should make my startup script restart the server if the IP changes, or is it aware of such changes? (I get the feeling from watching it start up that the answer is no, it is not aware of ip changes) I already have a cron job that telnets into my router and pulls my public IP and notifies my dynamicDNS service if it is different from the last time it ran, i can just add it to that if I have to.

Ogmios

:duel:

I believe you are correct that the server doesn't recognize an ip change. That could make for quite a mess. Hopefully, it doesn't change too often. I'm guessing that it changes when the router goes down (power outage) or your isp takes a dump. That's the boat I'm in at home. I get a new ip about once every month or two. Thankfully, my server is on a dedicated line with it's own ip address. ;)

OK.. I was looking here for help with the "Sys_Error: Couldn't load mpdefault.cfg" error... but didn't see a solution... then I found the solution. So, for anyone else's reference:

If I try to start jk2 from some other directory (like my home dir) I get that error. But, if I cd to the game dir first it starts up just fine. Hope that helps some peeps.

OK... now for my other problem: How might I start my server running in the background in such a way that I can then log out and it'll still be running?

My server is hidden in some deep dark corner and has no keyboard or monitor, so all I use is telnet. I've tried ending the command with '&' but still, if I log out of telnet, it takes the server down with it.

Any help? please? pretty please? pretty pretty please with Kandy on top?

Oh yeah, if it matters much:

Celeron 733

160 MB RAM (shush!)

SuSe 7.3 on the 2.2.19 kernel (UT webadmin didn't like 2.4 kernel)

T1

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Originally posted by KandyFLip

OK.. I was looking here for help with the "Sys_Error: Couldn't load mpdefault.cfg" error... but didn't see a solution... then I found the solution. So, for anyone else's reference:

If I try to start jk2 from some other directory (like my home dir) I get that error. But, if I cd to the game dir first it starts up just fine. Hope that helps some peeps.

OK... now for my other problem: How might I start my server running in the background in such a way that I can then log out and it'll still be running?

My server is hidden in some deep dark corner and has no keyboard or monitor, so all I use is telnet. I've tried ending the command with '&' but still, if I log out of telnet, it takes the server down with it.

Any help? please? pretty please? pretty pretty please with Kandy on top?

Oh yeah, if it matters much:

Celeron 733

160 MB RAM (shush!)

SuSe 7.3 on the 2.2.19 kernel (UT webadmin didn't like 2.4 kernel)

T1

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Use screen. It is a fantastic utility that will let you reattach to the server session and is more friendly than using &

For example, all you have to do to start the server inside screen is:

screen -S jedi ./jk2ded <your server arguments>

The screen will blank, and the server starts up. At this point:

press ctrl+a, then press the d key by it's self. You should see a line that says

[screen detached]

The server is still running though. You can logout safely at this point.

Now, to get back into your running server, all you have to do is log into your box as the user who is running the jk2ded process (that you screen'd)

and type:

screen -r jedi

You should now be in your server. Do the same (ctrl+a, then d) to get back out.

Hope this helps.

Anyone try to have multiple servers on one box? I'm going to attempt to run 5 on a p4 2.2 with 1 gig of ram. They are all ladder duel servers so there will only be 2 people per server...

Think it's possible? also could I screen all five servers? Would this be easier on a windows box?

Personally, I don't think it would be easier on a win box....but I'm a linux admin. ;) I have 2 servers running on a tbird 900 with 512mb of ram without any problem. One server is 20 max the other is 24 max. I would think that 5, 2 player servers would be cake on a p4 2.2/1gig. Yes, I would screen them all and have them all setup to auto-restart (script). I'd title all the screens too...but I'm just anal about organization. ;)

KandyFLip,

I used nohup '<sever command>' &. Then when I hit enter it would stop the process so I did bg <job number>, you can type 'jobs' at the command line and it will show you the job number, most likely it will be 1. Note that the sever commands are in single quotes.

Hope this helps.

Ogmios

Alright, I'm about to pull my hair out trying to get this to work correctly. :eek: Here's my configuration:

Mandrake 8.2 (Intel)

eth1 - internet interface

eth0 - LAN interface

iptables (MonMotha firewall script)

Now, my problem is that I can't seem to get my server to show up on a master list at all. I am running different services over my external interface and am able to access them via the internet from many locations, so my firewall is working properly (I have poked a hole in my firewall for UDP port 28070). As a matter of a fact, I had a buddy connect, via the internet, to my server by IP address and it was fine, but I wasn't showing on the master list. So, what am I missing? I have used the configuration listed in this post, and a great many others too. Here's my current server.cfg:

// Server Config

set sv_hostname "-:{Naturally Skilled}:-"

set g_motd "STFU Techlogic"

set rconPassword "password"

set g_needpass 1

set g_password "password"

set sv_privatePassword "password"

set sv_privateClients 2

set sv_pure 1

set sv_maxclients 10

set g_inactivity 0

set sv_maxRate 8000

set sv_maxping 200

set g_allowvote 1

set timelimit 20

set capturelimit 40

set g_autoMapCycle 1

set hunkMegs 128

set net_port 28070

map ffa_bespin

And here is my command line:

jk2ded +set dedicated 2 +set net_ip w.x.y.z +exec server.cfg

I thank you all in advance for the help you're going to give

:D, and as a token of my appreciation, I leave you with this server script I wrote:

Linux JK2 Server Startup Script

Hopefully you will find it useful.

Thanks,

olgrandad

Archived