Home

Dual Cpu???

SYNERGiST

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I emailed Lucasarts about enabling dual cpu in the game and they responded informing me that "Jedi Knight 2 does not have any special code to use Dual processors". Now I know that SMP is built into the quake 3 engine and I wouldn't be surprised if someone comes up with a way to enable it with a simple hack but it seems that Lucasarts has not included dual processing as a standard feature. Currently I am running a Dual AMD 1800+ system on a Tyan Tiger MPX with WinXP and I can't get Multiplayer to load. It gives me an error every time. Singleplayer works great and I have love it! But so far I've had no luck with MP. Let me know if anyone has a similar problem or a similar setup with no problems! :)

Yep same problem here.

I have an ASUS AM7266-D and a pair of 1700xp chips.

Run WinXP with a GF3.

I have also spoken to another person with a similar setup that has the same issue. It may be a problem with the MPX chipset.

Its not a dual CPU issue as it (the multiplayer) runs fine on another box I have which is a Tyan Tiger 133 based system with dual P3-800s and a GF2.

I have all the latest drivers etc etc, and can play every other Q3 engine game on the dual AMD Rig - ie Wolf sp and mp, MOHAA, Q3 etc.

Anyone any ideas?

Well, I'm glad it's not just my board. I am also running a GF3 but I know that it's not the video card because I swapped it out with an old Geforce2 MX and it still comes up with the error. I'll give Lucasarts a call tomorrow and see if they are aware of the problem. The only XP drivers for the MPX chipset is the IDE busmaster one and I have the latest version installed. I guess all of the other chipset drivers are built in. It really doen't seem like an AMD problem though, since the other Q3 engine games work just fine in multiplayer. Hopefully Lucasarts will release a patch soon. I'm going to also try and install Win98 or Win2000 on another hard drive that I have to see if the problem is only in XP. I'll post my results later! :)

Well, glad to see I am not the only one.

A7M266-D

2xAthlon MP 1600+

Leadtek Geforce 3

SBLIVE!

3COM 3C990-TX97 Network

768MB PC2100 RAM

Whoever contacts lucasarts, let them know that people with dual athlon systems seem to all be having this multiplayer issue. Hopefully they will fix the problem right away; I want to play multiplayer damnit!...:)

Just thought I'd add to this thread. Having the same problem running multiplayer. Single player boots fine.

Tyan Tiger MP Dual AMD 1700Xp's

Geforce 3 TI 200

SB Audigy

512 DDR ram

etc

I have a Dual P3 rig I should try it out on to see if it's a dual AMD problem. Perhaps with the 760MP chipset. I'm very interested to see if someone finds a solution.

Cheers

En4cr

Well I guess we know now that it's a problem with both the MP chipset and the MPX chipset. I have also tested it on my system in Win2000 and WinXP. Neither one worked. Single player works fine. Multi-player will not load. I couldn't get Win98 or WinME to work properly to test it which doesn't really surprise me. You don't usually make Win98 drivers for a dual CPU chipset. Anywho, I hope LA comes out with a patch soon!

Tyan Tiger MPX

Dual XP 1800+

1GB registered DDR RAM

Geforce 3

SB Audigy

3com intigrated 3c905C-TX

WinXP

As for the error message. It doesn't really tell you much. The JK2 screen comes up and initializes everything, it then sits there for a few seconds doing nothing and then you get a message from the OS that says "JK2MP.exe has caused an error and needs to be shut down." Then it asks you if you want to send the info to M$, in WinXP of course. I've looked through the details of the error message and I can't make out any other files or DLLs that is causing the error. It only makes reference to JK2MP. I'll try and screen copy it in here when I get home from work tonight. I think the best thing all of us with Dual AMD boards is to CALL LUCASARTS!!! The more people that call about it, the quicker they will come out with a patch to fix it. Here is the number to call:

LA Technical Support Hotline

Voice: (415) 507-4545

Hopefully they will resolve this soon! :)

I have the same crash too. Single Player works fine but in Multiplayer it crashes after it says "detecting CPU, Pentium III detected". I am running an Intel OR840 mainboard with dual PIII 866 and an ATI AIW Radeon video card with the latest drivers.

here are my specs

Windows XP

Intel OR840 mainboard with onboard LAN

Dual PIII 866

384 megs RDRAM

ATI AIW Radeon with latest drivers (lucas arts tested with older drivers)

Creative Labs SB Live 5.1 XGamer

2 20 Gig drives

Yamaha cd rom burner.

OK Then

I have two systems. This one fails with the mp error on startup.

Dual Athlon XP 1700+

ASUS AM7266-D

Hercules 3D Prophet III GF3 AGP Card 23.11, 28.32 drivers

SB Live

Intel 100 nic

Realtek 100 nic

Windows XP

This one works perfectly

Dual P3-800EB

Tyan Tiger 133

Hecules 3D Prophet II GF2 AGP Card 28.32 drivers

SB 1024

Realtek 100 nic

Windows XP

Both systems successfully play MOHAA, Q3 and Wolf in both single and multiplayer modes.

Here is the XP error; I am also going to send the dump file created when the error occured to Lucasarts.

jkmp.JPG

My Specs:

ASUS A7M266-D Rev. 1.03

2XAMD Athlon MP 1600+

Leadtek Geforce 3 64MB

Sound Blaster Live

768MB PC2100 Crucial Memory

NEC PCI USB 2.0 Card

3COM 3C990-TX97 NIC

PIONEER DVD-114 10X DVD DRIVE

HP 8100+ Writer

60GB Seagate Barracuda IV

40GB Seagate Barracuda IV

Response from LEC:

Hi,

Thank you for your message.

We are becomming aware of this particular problem. I have passed this along

to our compatibility staff for review. Keep checking our website for updates

on this issue. We hope to have an answer soon.

after it crashes, can you hit the "details" or "click here" button.

i'm looking for the address of the exception so i can track down what's causing it.

(right after the cpu detect print, it gets your username, then cpuspeed, then physicalRAM. i'd bet it's the cpuspeed detect that's going wrong.)

thanks,

James Monroe

Who hoo! I'm glad I'm not the only one, I was getting ready to throw my computer out the damn window!!

I'm running:

Tyan Thunder K7 UNG

2x Athlon MP 1900 + processors

1 gig of ram

GeForce 4 Ti 4600

2x Ultra SCSI 160 drives

I get the exact same error on XP that was posted above.

As for the error report, there is a ton of information in it, but here's what's at the top.

Exception information

Code: 0xc0000094 Flags: 0x00000000

Record: 0x0000000000000000 Address: 0x0000000000444c2e

Thanks for the exe.

I now too can the start multiplayer but also get the entities error shortly after starting a game.

Thats with an A7M266-D (MPX), WinXP and a GF3.

Can I ask you what you did you fix it? And indeed how you knew how to go about fixing it?

Is the entities error anything to do with your patch? (I dont think so)

Thank goodness I found you folks!

Before I list my rig, I must say that when I run Q3 with the SMP flag set to 1 it locks up, so I run with ony 1 cpu in quake3.

I have the same problem as kandyFlip at the same place.

rig:

Winderz 2000 (all the freaking online updates)

Tyan S2466 Tiger MPX mobo

Dual AMD 1800MP

2- 512Mb PC2100 ECC Registered pc2100 sticks

Radeon 8500 (NON OEM)

the rest doesnt matter I guess

Archived