Home

Dual Cpu???

SYNERGiST

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had to register and lost all the info I was looking into . But I copied and pasted the post that fits me the best:

erm, for your information dudes, I get the EXACT same error, the weird thing is, I do not have dual CPU!

Athlon 1600XP

256 MEG DDR

Geforce GTS 2

k7t266 Pro 2 MSI Motherboard

Windows XP

And I get the exact same error as that windows XP screenshot above

-----------------

I have 512 ddr ram myself, same mb, asus v7700 64mb gts pro. I have also examined the problem in several different ways, and i believe the person who disected the issues of subdivision, as the error details point to this conclusion.

Hope somoene posts the fix for this whoever get's it first. I played the SP game till I was done, no food, no sleep, total addiction, now it's time to conquer multiplayer hehe =)

i'm having the same problem too.

here is my setup:

Dual P4 Xeon 1.8 ghz procs

1 gig pc800 RDRAM

SuperMicro P4DCE+ mb with intel 860 chipset

Adaptec IDE RAID 2x80 gig hd's

Visiontek ti4600 geforce4

locks up when trying to run multiplayer at the detecting processors...

the patch seems to work fine, i wonder when lucas arts will release an official patch?

ciao.

I posted this on another thread but figured i should put it here as well, as this was where i originally saw the problem I was having too ;)

Temporary Solution for MultiProcessor Users

Here is a temporary fix for anyone using dual processor systems which crash when loading the multiplayer game

Steps for Win2k / WinXP

1) Right Click on My Computer , click on Manage

2) Click on Device Manager in left side window

3) On right side click on plus sign next to Computer

4) You should see ACPI Multiprocessor System ( OR something similiar)

5) Double click on the ACPI Multiprocessor

6) Click on the Driver Tab and click on Update Driver

7) Click Next -> Click on dot next to "display a list of known drivers" -> Click Next Again -> Click on dot next to "show all hardware of this device class" -> Select ACPI Uniprocessor PC and click Next.

8) Before rebooting right click on my comupter again, click on Properties.

9) Click on the Advanced Tab, then click on the Enviormental Variables button.

10) in the bottom box locate NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS, Double click on it and change Value to 1.

After doing this fix Jedi Knight 2 Multiplayer will run properly.

-(PK)- Chrono

pyroclasmx@pyroclasmx.com

PS - If this fix works for you drop me a hollar and a yay =D

Emm, thats a nice idea and I appreciate the suggestion, but it does sorta defeat the purpose of having a dual CPU system. I only play Jedi Knight a little (maybe 10% of the time I am on the PC at the moment, and its that high because its a new game) and the rest of the time I want my two CPUs for the development and graphics work I do.

On top of that in Win2K changing the kernel in the fashion you describe produced many instabilities and problems that were sorta difficult to overcome without the dreaded format. Dont know what the XP situation is, but I am reluctant to try - I only got the dual CPU system a couple of months ago and dont fancy causing problems for a system that has been rock solid stable until now.

What dissapoints me is that no one from Raven has been into this thread and posted something to say that they are working on the problem. Then I would know that the situation is in hand at least.

Just my two cents..... (and a long bump :) )

Hello

how did you activate r_smp 1 in the game?

I have notice that there is no r_smp in the cfg file.

Then I tried during game but it tells me: "r_smp is read only".

Then I added +set r_smp 1 to the shortcut but nothing happenend???

How did you do it?

Thanks

Good to hear it, do you know a specific place where we can keep watching for the patch? What URL? The official Jedi Knight II site is never updated.

Oh, I was looking for this topic on activision, it seems they do not have Jedi Knight II listed in their games, but just goto support, select the PC platform, then leave the games field as it is and search "jedi" and all the topics should come up, This one unfortunatly does not.

But if you are having any other problems, I suggest you consult that first. :)

If they are going to use the Quake 3 engine why wouldn't they use it's best feature? I tried editing the jk2config.cfg by adding seta r_smp "1" it still says that it is set to "0" in the game. I tried changing the the seta r_smp "0" to a "1" on the single player file with the same results. So much for for my Pestonias.

This temp fix shouldn't corrupt your kernel, basically I only suggest using it to play, I love my dual proc system and running at full potential but i am also a gamer who enjoys playing games, you can always create a sepearte hardware profile for this fix. I'm not patient enough to wait for a patch when i'm going to a lan party this weekend to play this game specificially ;)

-(PK)- Chrono

pyroclasmx@pyroclasmx.com

Atomicone, you idiot, it is not AMD-only. Read through the damn posts, somebody had the IDENTICAL message with an Intel-based system. Also, the guy I spoke with at Lucasarts said he has seen this across every configuration you can think of, Intel and AMD. It just seems to happen mostly on AMD's he said, for whatever reason. Also, Raven made the game, they will be releasing the patch, keep an eye on the News on ravensoft.com, they may put an ETA out for a patch, or announce when they have it available, a little before Lucasarts would. Remember people, Lucasarts *PUBLISHED* the game this time, they didn't make it, unlike with previous Dark Forces/Dark Forces 2 games.

Just wanted to say that I have two dual amd systems one is the 1.2Ghz and the other is the 1.4Ghz, one of them the 1.2 runs the multiplayer fine but the other one my main PC doesn't?

They are both running the same OS (XP) and have basically the same hardware one has geforce 3 and the other geforce 2.

I really hope they come out with something soon before my intrest moves on to other games.....

READ THIS :)

aight guys... im no genious but this is what i did .

if you have 2 cd roms burn the cd and put it in both cd roms. then start the game and go to the "help" thingy on the autoexec menu. then choosethe install direct x. if it asks u for the cd then click it again. you may have to remove the cds and put them back in. keep doing until it says "direct x 8 successfully installed". upon seeing this message immediately start the game. go to multiplayer and SHAZAAAM! u got in now didnt u :)

if this solutions doesnt work for u, then go to start>run and type dxdiag which will bring you to the direct x diagnosis program. make sure all of your direct x utils are working properly. i got this to work on my tyan thunder w/ dual 1.2 mps so i hope it works for yall :)

have fun hacking,

the cent man

Morning bump. Won't be able to test the "latest" fix till I get home. 50 bucks I tell ya...........walmart wouldn't let me return it either :evanpiel: and so I punched them in the eye. (just kidding, i didn't really punch them).

I just noticed that AMD just released some new chipset drivers for the AGP (V5.33), IDE Busmaster(V1.43s), and Power Management(V1.22s). I know that this is not just an AMD related issue as there are a few people with dual Intel systems that are having the same problem but I thought that perhaps these new drivers (especially the new AGP driver) might make a difference for those of us with a dual AMD board. I'm not at home so I can't try it yet but someone with a dual AMD give it a go and post your results! THANKS! :) You can find the new drivers here...

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_2336,00.html

Just look for the ones that say they were released in Mar 2002.

Well would you look at that! i'm not the only one with the problem.. exactly the same prob as everyone else.

Specs:

win2k

asus a7m266-D amd760MPX (dual)

2xAMD athlon MP1600+

512mb DDR ram (registered)

Great job sofar guys! hope you find a way to fix it (both to raven and the fans)

If know this isnt much help just posting my specs, but what else can i do?

---------------------------------

Luke, i am your sisters mothers husband! :rolleyes:

With all the stuff here we should see a fix soon! I've tried it on 3 different computer. My dual 333 Intel and a 1.13 Intel Laptop work perfectly, yet with a ton of "Connection Interrupted" Messages. The problem system is below.

Only way I get it to work is to set it up as a Standard PC in XP.

Btw, the DirectX trick shouldnt work in XP as XP comes with 8.1 and Direct X wont let you install an older version over a newer version.

Dual AMD Athlon 1800+ MP

Tyan Thunder K7 S2426

1024 Meg DDR Memmory

Geforce 2 MX400

Windows XP Pro

Archived