Home

LOADING TIMES: if you have slow loads, read this

ChangKhan

Our loading times are actually very good, and our reloads are extremely fast. If you find this is not the case, I have bad news for you: your system does not have enough RAM. If you lower the texture detail settings from VERY HIGH to HIGH, you will see your loading times get much, much better.

You may say "but I have a 64MB card and 256MB system RAM!", that should be fine for a lot of the levels, but when you're using the HIGHEST level of texture detail, you're going to need more than that on some levels. If you have 512MB of system RAM, you should be fine with full-on cranked-up detail levels.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
my loading times are horrible
The biggest boost I ever got in loading levels in any game was to get an IBM 60GXP 7200rpm hard drive - one of the fastest IDE hard drives available today. It had a MAJOR effect on level load time. Much greater, I feel, then adding more RAM would ever bring. Heck, even when I play Force Commander, levels load fast!!!

If your drive is 5400rpm or doesn't come close to the performance specs of say, the IBM 60GXP, your hard drive may be the one to blame.

I run with 256MB of DDR. I have an extra stick of 256MB DDR lying around but never used it as I thought it wouldn't have any effect on gaming at all. Chang, I'll take your advice and give that second stick a shot!

I also run with a very large fixed swap file - not sure if that adds any improvement to level loading.

I have Windows 2000 Professional, 1GB of ram with 1.5GB swap file, with slow loads. Reloads are fast yes, but I can go get a cup of coffee waiting for my save to load.

I was hoping for a fix. Would tweaking the *Megs settings in the cfg help? This was where I messed with RTCW.

system specs:

Athlon 1.4ghz

1024 PC2100 Ram

100gig Western Digital 7200RPM 8mb cache

ATi Radeon 8500 Retail (ie 275/275 mem/core stock)

Windows XP Professional

Loading times w/ highest detail = horrendous. Minutes upon minutes.

Loading times w/ lowest detail = about 45 seconds, still not *fast*.

Any solutions? I'm gonna try disabling my swap file.

*update: that didn't do anything. now changing swapfile to 1024meg file. let's see the results.

*update: changing the swap file size does jack. no soup as of yet.

peace

:atat: I will time it at next start, but I see no serious crawl during loading. Roughly, maybe 20-25 seconds? Again, I will time it next chance I get to play.

Reloading flies by and is done. The little blue bar goes from nothing to half to done in roughly 5 seconds. Will time this too next time I die (which seems often so far LOL).

AMD 1.333 @ 1.5

768mb Crucial PC133

IBM Deskstar 60GXP

I have 1536 mb of ram and 64mb G Force 3 Graphics card with a P4 2ghz system, I still get slow loading times and when I enable all features the game gets unbearably slow & stutters. I can run any other game on the market at full resolution with all features and get no slowdown. I think a patch needs to be developed, it cannot be co-incidence that so many people around the world have the same problem.:fett:

I'm noticing a trend here:

AMD 1.3Ghz Athlon

256 DDR

ATI Radeon 8500 <---****

This game is brutal on my system. I'm currently plodding along in 800x600, with all textures on Medium. The game isn't even smooth when I'm on my own. When stormtroopers start showing, the game is choppy like you wouldn't believe!! It is almost unplayable at these settings, but I refuse to reduce from here. I actually had a dream last night about playing Quake 2 on my old DX4-100....no coincidence I think.

How can a game humble a system like this? My system isn't state of the art, but it is in the upper 20% of home systems.

I noticed a couple people mention the Radeon 8500 in their "problem" posts. Might this be a unique problem? I've run the game with both the latest ATI "official" driver and the current "unofficial" .6052 driver....

Interesting topic, as I'd been noticing the same issue with saves and loads.

Quick saves were taking 5 to 10 seconds for me.

I'm running an Athlon 1.4 266, 512MB ram, Gf4 Ti4400 128, and playing at 1280x1024 with full options on. I was also running with 2x AA turned on.

Last night, I wanted to see the difference of having the Quincux (sic) AA on, and it seemed to be running slower than with 2xAA, so I exited and tried no AA for comparison.

With AA off, Quick saves became Instant!

Not sure how this ties in with the other issues you all have mentioned, but it's another version of what was changed to improve load/save times.

I'm running

Ahtlon 1200

512mb RAM

Radeon 8500 Bulit-by-ATI (64mb)(275/275)

Seagate Barracude 80Gb 7200rpm HDD

Windows XP

Official ATI 6037 Drivers (No AA)

I'm having really longload times on highest texture setting, we're talking 3-4 minutes, which is just un-usable

On high settings it cuts it down to 1 minute, but still this seems unacceptale, i mean who on earth is this game deisgned for, only people with Geforce 4's and 2 gigs of ram?!?!?!?!

(btw once its loaded, it looks beuatiful and at 1280/1024, it runs really smooth)

Full Description

Specs

AMD 1ghz Athlon

ASUS v7100 Geforce2mx400 27.42 Drivers 32mb

SBlive!

256 mb Sd133 Ram

on every map so far, my system has loaded and saved in about 10-15 seconds, on a BAD day :D Now that I must find the "Doomgiver" I get 8:15 loads with all setting @ high or near high@ 640 res. While with all setting so low they make my eyes bleed, with 640 res, I get load times of 7:15. In the console, I get these errors.

Couldn't exec autoexec.cfg

(In red) item_shield doesn't have spawn function.

(In yellow, displayed twice) Couldn't find image for shader[no material]

(in yellow) couldn't find image for shader gfx/2d/crosshairj

com_spritef: overflow 128 in 128

(in yellow) Couldn't find image for shader icons/w_icon__turret

(in yellow) Couldn't find image for shader icons/w_icon_turret_na

(in yellow) Warning, reused image gfx/hud/w_icon_atst with mixed glwrapclampmode parm

CL_initCGame: 47.16 seconds.

com_touch memory : 77047742 bytes, 4msec

(is that 77 GB!!!)

anyway, taht long with my sys specs in BOTH high and low and ONLY in this mission makes me think that the mission has some problems.

SPOILERS!

PS: after the 2 jedi and the ATST in the Find the doomgiver mission, and the next room with assorted Stormies, I go under the stairs and find a hole with a floor, and looks like I should jump in, but when I do, the game locks. Hard booted after 10 minutes. Could this be part of the same problem?

Specs

AMD 1ghz Athlon

ASUS v7100 Geforce2mx400 27.42 Drivers 32mb

SBlive!

256 mb Sd133 Ram

on every map so far, my system has loaded and saved in about 10-15 seconds, on a BAD day :D Now that I must find the "Doomgiver" I get 8:15 loads with all setting @ high or near high@ 640 res. While with all setting so low they make my eyes bleed, with 640 res, I get load times of 7:15. In the console, I get these errors.

Couldn't exec autoexec.cfg

(In red) item_shield doesn't have spawn function.

(In yellow, displayed twice) Couldn't find image for shader[no material]

(in yellow) couldn't find image for shader gfx/2d/crosshairj

com_spritef: overflow 128 in 128

(in yellow) Couldn't find image for shader icons/w_icon__turret

(in yellow) Couldn't find image for shader icons/w_icon_turret_na

(in yellow) Warning, reused image gfx/hud/w_icon_atst with mixed glwrapclampmode parm

CL_initCGame: 47.16 seconds.

com_touch memory : 77047742 bytes, 4msec

(is that 77 GB!!!)

ha I am a moron, tahts 77mb, right?

anyway, taht long with my sys specs in BOTH high and low and ONLY in this mission makes me think that the mission has some problems.

SPOILERS!

PS: after the 2 jedi and the ATST in the Find the doomgiver mission, and the next room with assorted Stormies, I go under the stairs and find a hole with a floor, and looks like I should jump in, but when I do, the game locks. Hard booted after 10 minutes. Could this be part of the same problem?

------------------------------------------------

I am now promoting myself to village idiot. Instead of editting, i quoted. Now, I fixed my load times. The moral is, DON'T CHEAT to get past anything. I used the no clip to get past the part where they were building one of those transports, got to the next part, and load times increased 50 fold. Went back and did it right, no prob. Anyone else with load probs noclip past stuff?

with all those errors, and years of being suspicious of any dev that says "Its your System" I jumped to too many conclusions.

Wow...you guys are talking minutes. That's hard to believe. My times are recorded, as mentioned above I would time my load times.

All HIGH video options, shadows simple, GL extensions off, 1024x768x32

Initial cold level load: 33.2 sec

Warm level load: 19.4 sec

Quicksave: .5 sec

"Cold" refers to first load of the entire game. "Warm" refers to subsequent level reloads, ie. after death or screw-up.

I have absolutely no problems at all. I did not realize people were now talking load times in the realm of minutes.

AMD 1.333@1.5, 3x256mb Crucial PC133, IBM 60GXP hd, SBLive 5.1, WinXP Home

lol my comp is been good for once-i got:

Athlon 1.14 Ghz

256 DDR @ measly 114Mhz FSB

Win XP Pro

40Gb Maxtor 7200 RPm

GF2 GTS 32MB

running @ 1024 x 768 @ 32 Bit @ highest detail and 2 x AA

runs fine, and load times r quite good

Ok Mr. Raven,

Where are the compressed files, that are uncompressed when I load a game?

Is it possible to take them and decompress them into the game Dir? Then, the decompressing will already be done, and load times should decrease, I hope. :/

I have P-3 850, 512 MB ram, 7200 RPM Maxtor Driver, and Radeon 8500, and My load times suck balls, to put it nicely.

i have an althon 700, 320mb, g2, 40gb 7200, and i get slow loading times, its pretty obvious from all the posts that its not a ram issue, this game loads far slower compared to medal of honor and return to wolfenstein which both use the q3 ta engine, i dont know why this game takes longer, it feels about 20% slower,

ps these are the slowest forums i ve ever been on in 2 years!!

Slows forums, very... much ... so... must ... type ... faster

Picked up an AMD XP 1900+ yesterday, installed, and played JO. MY recorded times for loading:

Cold initial level load: 27.3 seconds (previous 33.2 sec)

Warm load: avg 15 seconds (previous 19.4 sec)

So changing my processor from AMD 1.333 to AMD XP 1900+ helped in changing the times. Again this is still with everything set to high, shadows to simple, 1024x768x16, and GL Extensions off.

Warm load was an average of all my death re-loads, for I never got the same time twice. They were roughly the same but not quite.

OK. I have put my slow load times dow to the fact that I run a voodoo 3 3000 and the game documentation actually states slow loading times as a problem.

Seeing this thread though, I have to wonder. Initial loads are fine (around 25 secs) and the first 3 or 4 quick loads after death are also fine. After that the load times increase to around 5 minutes.

I cannot believe that this is a system problem. It must be a game problem, if the same save game can load in 25 secs and 3 times later it takes 4 mins :(

Is the game not releasing some of these textures from memory and thus filling it up?

Please find a fix for this, someone. I have a Radeaon 8500 64MB DDR on the way, as I needed a new graphics card anyway. However, looking at this thread I wonder if my load times may get worse.

System :

Athlon 1 GHz

768 MB RAM

Plenty of free HDD space

Soundblaster Live 5.1!

Voodoo 3 3000 AGP

Tyan Tunder K7 (ung)

2x Athlon 1900+ mp processors

1 gig of PC 2100 RAM

SCSI Ultra 160 drives

GeForce 4 ti4600

OS XP Pro

Load times are Nill in multi-player but that's cause the game won't start for us SMP users and that's another story.

As for single player, this is the slowest loading game that I've played thus far on my computer. My game saves instantly, but load times are also in the minute range, and you'd figure they would be faster for a system of this caliber. Once I'm in the game, the FPS is excellent usually around 200+ in all places with FSAA turned off.

Is there a way to decompress the textures in order to get the game to load faster?

I have a voodoo 3 and noticed the performance problem straight away

You can actually get the games to load quicker by changing ANYTHING on the graphics option page. I usually change the texture quality between High and Very high. Click Apply, the screen refreshes and games load normally.

HTH

Phil

Archived