Home

LOADING TIMES: if you have slow loads, read this

ChangKhan

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a 1.4gig Athlon, 512megs PC2100 DDR ram, ATi Radeon 8500, WD 10.2gig 7200rpm hard drive.

Load times are horrible, but game play on high resolution with all settings maxed is smooth as glass.

Initial load up is the longest, after that loads times are half of what they are on start up(which is still long)

This is a minor inconvenience, but one that I would like to see go away.

hmmm I get 1 minute at most load times at highest detail at 1024x768 with my computer: P4 1.4 w/ 384 PC800 RDRAM w/ GeForce2 Ultra. The only problem I experienced on single player was the Yavin Swamp mission in which my fps slowed down a tremendous amount compared to the other missions (fog, and all those brushes kills fps).

Multiplayer = bad on high detail LOL and worst on highest detail. Sometimes my game stalls for about 3 seconds or I get sound lockups grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

But, all in all, single player was played smoothly on my comp

Hi there,

could this stuttering and the long loading have something to do with a RAID setup in Windows XP?

I know that C&C Renegade has these RAID issues: long loading times (4min for me) and in-game-stuttering. I get long loading times in Max Payne also, but the Win98 compatibility mode solved that for me. Now it runs fine.

I do not have JD2, but I ordered it today. Wonder how it will run on my P41.8A (Nortwood), 512 MB RAMBUS, ATI 7500, SB Live and Windows XP Pro...

Keep u informed....

Merkor

Once again I'd like to post my times as I have updated my motherboard and memory. This was a planned purchase several weeks ago and have been awaiting the motherboard for 3 weeks. This purchase had nothing to do with attempting better scores with JO... just good timing. It finally arrived Friday and Sunday I installed it.

Motherboard: MSI KT-3 Ultra ARU (333)

Memory: OCZ 512mb PC2700 DDR

CPU: AMD XP 1900+

Harddrive: IBM 60GXP 40gb

Video: Geforce 2 Ultra

Sound: Onboard 6 channel

Initial load time: 24.6 seconds (previous 27.3 sec)

Reloads and new level loads: 13.2 sec (previous 15 sec)

All settings are HIGH. GL Extensions are OFF. 1024x768x32.

I begin my timing as soon as I hit the load button and see the graphic. I end the timing, well, when the level has loaded and I am live. I use a digital timer on my Palm Pilot for the seconds readout.

:atat: :atat: :atat:

Yep, definitely slow.

Dual P3 1 ghz, abit mother board, windows 2000 professional, hardware EIDE raid, 1 gig Ram and GeForce 3. It loads pretty slow. I can go and get a cup of coffee while it loads the saved game. RTCW runs great. It loads fast as well. I don't know what's the difference. I don't know what to configure to make it better.

Tried this on AMD 750, 256 MB, w2k professional, ATI radeon. It runs like a dog. It takes forever to load the game.

Firstly my PC Spec as everyone else seems to post it

P4 1500mhz 1536 mb ram 60gb 7200rpm hdd sb live platinum

creative g force 3 running under windows 2000.

I have never experinced any problems running any game at maximum resolution with all features enabled until I purchased JO.

On initial loads horribly long loading times with painfullys slow fps.

Having tired all the different nvidia drivers with my card nothing seemed to work. However I seemed to have stumbled across a solution the problem on my machine. I uninstalled my g force 3 and physically removed it from my system replacing it with a standard vga card. I then removed all registry entries and any software or files relating to my g force 3. I then reinstalled my geforce 3 and used the latest 28.32 nvidia drivers.

On restarting the game I set everything to default and switch on everything up to maximum gradually. I am now able to run the game seemlesely with everything on max exept for graphic detail which must remain at high not very high. I am now getting intial level load at 12 seconds and quicksave reloads at 7 seconds!!!!!

I can only assume that the previous drivers were interfering somehow with my card and by doing a fresh install set everything straight. It worked for me why not give it a try???

After I die, I can not load up a new game through quick load. If i go into the main screen, and then into the load menu, the cursor becomes very slow and jumpy. If I get out of the load menu, the cursor returns to normal. The only way I can load a game is if I change the settings to something else, anything else!! Yet, I have to do this EVERY SINGLE time I want to reload after I die. Does anyone know to solve this problem?

I have 256MB of 100MHz SDRAM. And I can't reload from a quick save.

Are you telling me, that I have get a system with 4GB of ram for this to work? If that's the case I have two words for this program.... BETA MATERIAL.

BTW: I'm using Very Fast display settings.

last night allw as well, loads ok, then i go to get on a duel server, ok like 3 min later, i hear the begin sound, lvl changes then it starts loading all over again, 3 min later i said F it and crashed the game to get out of it...as the game is unloading i see a thing on my taskbar, "windows is resizing your swap file" seems the game is leaving some loose ends about, this is probably what is up, this is wigh a 1Ghz 256SDRAM GF4 TI4600, probably leaving crap all over the swap file, then has to resize it cause it didn't clean up well, xtra time comes from windows resizing its virtual memory...game could use a lil optimization is all, make it clean up after itself a lil better....

Guest RayNbow

I'm running JK2 on a P3-750, 384 MB RAM, S3 Savage MX (with less than 16 MB mem) and the game itself works fine on low settings. However, when I try loading saved games, it takes 5 minutes to load it. Loading a level is no problem at all (less than a minute).

(And there is one other problem, I can't play JK2 MP: page fault in MXICD.DLL which is a DLL for my GFX card)

-RayNbow

System specs:

Operating System:Windows ME

Prossecor:AMD Athlon 1.2Ghz

Graphics card:32Mb Voodoo 4 4500 AGP

Memory:128Mb SDRAM

Internet connection speed:56k modem

I am running the single-player game on the defeault graphics settings and the game takes about 1 minuite to load. When I increase the detail and turn up the resolution to any higher than 640x480 the levels load up to about half-way across the bar and then it just freezes and I cant be bothered to wait any longer so I just press escape.

In multi-player though I do have a 56k but I only join servers with a ping of 270 or less(to prevent lag!). The levels dont take long to load, about 15 secs probably because I have turned down everything in multi-player(the res,detail and all graphical ****!).

My 1.2Ghz Athlon is...well you may not think so...but its slower that my old 800Mhz AMD Duron! And that has Win ME 128Mb SDRAM!

Please help me coz its spoiling such a great game:)

P.S:What am I supposed to do on mission 2? I know, I hate solving puzzles(and there are so much of them!)but i have completed the 1st obj. what am i supposed to do next?

I'm just about to apply the wickedGL fixes etc to test...

Spec:

256mb pIII 800

Voodoo 5500 with latest X-3dfx drivers

Win ME.

My issue is not so much the long load time (which is about a minute) but the fact that the music goes intensly choppy on the save game screen, and even though it lets me save the game as often as I like, it will only load one game. If I want to re-load a second time, I have to completely restart the game from cold.

Also, the intro (advert) movies in SP don't play (I get sound but no pictures) but they work fine in MP. MP gives no problems at all.

K.

You know it never ceases to amaze me how many people complain about bad perfomance of games and apps when they have a powerful machine.

It very nice having a powerful machine, but if you don't look after it, it's useless.

Don't always blame the games for having bad loading times. Look at your machine.

For instance, when was the last time you defragged your HD. In many cases this will improve things dramatically.

Also clean out all your temp folders etc etc....

And there are plenty of memory tweaks in the registry to improve file swapping and memory allocation to programs.

Don't always blame the game, Look at your PC first !

I keep my machine clean...;) q3 and EF, UT etc. all work fine with no problems. Load times on all other games are fine. There are several 100mb's free on each drive.

Like I said, I'm gonna try the wickedGL stuff and see what happens with it. If It's all ok, then I'll let you know.

K.

Why the HELL put all that RAM in your computer?!

I heard and read a couple of times that too much RAM even slows your computer down , believe it or not , the people i see here at the forums haveing slow loadings HAVE more then a Giga of RAM , and the 512Mb RAM users have a normal amount of loading , good thing i'm 1 of them.

I will post again tonight when i got the game , i will see if i got the problem , but the source of the "too much ram stuff" is pretty..good ;)

You can never have too much ram... :).

I used to have 380 ish MB in the box. The only problems I have had is where I have mismatched Ram types and the OS has had a fit.

Anyway, If any1 has any kind of problem with a voodoo card and JK2, install the WickedGL drivers.

My load times were about 1.5 mins. Now, 15 seconds.

I had no animated intros, now got them all. No stuttering anymore in cutscenes. No stuttering music anymore on the savegame screen. :) :) :) .

It all seems a hell of a lot better. Just copy your jk2sp.exe file and rename that copy to quake3.exe. Run the setup, tellit to install the driver and select Q3 from the list of games. Point it to your game directory, install the 32-bit driver and away it goes. Radically better. :)

K.

Archived