Home

LOADING TIMES: if you have slow loads, read this

ChangKhan

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I too have a GeForce 4 Ti 4600 with 512 DDR ram and it still takes about 20 secs to load, but considering in the old days of Speccies and cassette decks I had to wait about 20 minutes for a game to load ( and half the times it failed) so todays waiting times are nothing, oh how fickle we humans can be! :p

I am suffering load time problems also. It started when I entered Cairn-Assembly. I took a look at the size of my save games files. Prior to Cairn_Assembly they were around 1 MB, after they are around 10 MB.

I don't think this is a hardware problem.

As I said earlier my save files were bloated(around 10 MB). I took the advice of someone's prior post and made a few changes to my graphics and then changed them back. This did not fix it immediately, but when it saved at the next checkpoint, I was back to 7 second loads. Also, the save file was back to about 1MB.

This can't be the case here.

My Specs:

Athlon 900 mhz

512 RAM

7200 RPM HD

ATI Radeon DDR 64 meg

I run the game at 1024x768 with Very High Textures.

The game runs fine, the only slowdown I noticed at all (during gameplay) was in the swamps. Loading times for reloads and deaths is only seconds...no biggie.

Loading times for new levels is a minute or two maybe.

Loading times for my first saved game when I turn the game on is greater than 10 minutes or more!!!

Here is the strange thing:

When I am loading the first game if I let it get to 1/4 (which it does pretty quickly and stops) I hit escape and load the game again, then it will quickly go to half, hit escape again and load again and then it goes to 3/4 and repeat once more and it finishes loading in a matter of a minute or two...

so it's not RAM, it's something with the game.

Also, I am running XP Pro.

Don't always blame the games for having bad loading times. Look at your machine.
For alot of people I'm sure this is very true.

JK2 runs best with at least 256MB of RAM and a 64MB video card. I don't think people are catching on that newer games are leaving their older machines behind. Don't bother looking at the game's minimum requirements - it's just a marketing ploy to sell more games.

If you already have at least 256MB of RAM, for your next upgrade, think about a state-of-the-art, top-performing 7200rpm hard drive. Think about IBM or do some research into the top-performing ones. My IBM 60GXP doubled my disk throughput and made a huge speed difference in my box - much more so than cpu upgrades.

With just a 1.2G Tbird, 512MB DDR, an IBM 60GXP HDD and a Kyro 2, at HIGH detail my box eats JK2 up! I'm playing at 12x10x32 with very good frame rates.

And BTW, you can have too much memory if you're running Win98, like I am. Stick to 512MB with Win98 unless you know the tweaks.

By chance, has anyone with poor performance or load times tried using a large fixed swap file? You might want to give it a shot.

I won't bother you with my comp specs (you'd laugh way too hard) but when I hit the Assembly level, my load time went way up as well, around 4 minutes to load a saved game! Then I passed to the next level and was back down to 15 seconds as stated a couple posts above mine. Is everyone else having problems on just that level? Or does it happen all the time? Just curious.

Originally posted by ChangKhan[RAVEN]

Our loading times are actually very good, and our reloads are extremely fast. If you find this is not the case, I have bad news for you: your system does not have enough RAM. If you lower the texture detail settings from VERY HIGH to HIGH, you will see your loading times get much, much better.

You may say "but I have a 64MB card and 256MB system RAM!", that should be fine for a lot of the levels, but when you're using the HIGHEST level of texture detail, you're going to need more than that on some levels. If you have 512MB of system RAM, you should be fine with full-on cranked-up detail levels.

That doesn't solve anything, now does it? :mad:

not only does it not solve anything, raven's not provided any further feedback!

Given that this game is using a very similar engine to that in Soldier of Fortune 2, unless this bug is fixed, I'm sure Soldier of Fortune 2 won't be part of my collection.

well I managed to get my load time when I was starting the game from about 2 and a half mins down to about 20 seconds by merely changing the detail level from very high to high. Quick loads now also only take a few seconds to load up. My system isnt the most powerful one either

Specs:

Athlon 1600xp

GF2ti 64mb

256mb Ram

SBLive 5.1

There have been some posts about the QuickLoad option screwing up load times. I've been playing since it came out and have never used QuickSave or QuickLoad. From what I've heard in other threads, I'm not about to chance it either.

Of course, I have to deal with all the wackiness of the load/save menu: highlighting an entry and getting the wrong thumbnail, etc.

i get the slow loading but not at all times, only on certain levels & only at random times, its a bit weird tbh but i find that once it starts with the slow loading it always does it even if i try to reload it.. until i quit the game and reload it. but if i ever pressed esc during the slow loading and goto either the save/load menu, the mouse cursor always stutters and the background music/sound efects also get choppy. i dunno if thats cos im usin a v3 or wat as ive got enuff probs to worry about as is :> but thats normally the case with the loading on mine! :) btw all that happens with quiksaves and normal saves as i sed it depends on if it stutters in the save screens :confused:

I had regular loading times, with an Athlon TB 800, 128mb ram, geforce256 ddr and winXP

Today I installed a 256mb ram dimm and have a total of 384

It was great for loading times, now it loads pretty fast, I don't know why people with better machines than mine have slow loading times.

Well, I also have slow startups..

If it's a cold start (first time from the most recent reboot), it can take a couple of minutes...

A warm start ( played the game before a reboot) it takes maybe 30 seconds.

System specs.

Win2Kpro.

P3 750E

512 mb SDram

Geoforce 2 MX400

20gb 5400 rpm HDD.

Yeah, OK, it's not the fastest system in the world, but the Game itself runs very smoothly.

Just the start up and loading saved games takes ages.

I find it hard to believe that it's my System specs causing the problem.

I have plenty of other games on my system and they donot have this problem.

*Shrug*

Whatever, not the end of the world really, I can still play the game. I think there ought to be a patch to the game at some stage soon tho.

Originally posted by krebsy

I'm just about to apply the wickedGL fixes etc to test...

<SNIP>

and even though it lets me save the game as often as I like, it will only load one game. If I want to re-load a second time, I have to completely restart the game from cold.

<SNIP>

K.

I get the same thing on my system:

Win98se

256mb Athlon 1.4

Voodoo 5500 (official 1.04 drivers, tried 1.08 too)

At 1st I thought the game was crashing when reloading checkpoints and save games, (not level restarts), the bar would "hang" at the 1/4 mark. So I left it for 5 mins and it actually finished loading.

It's quicker for me to quite back to windows and reload the whole thing!

Initial loads take 20 seconds or so, but reloads take several minutes, but this only applies to checkpoint saves and quick saves. Reloading the beginning of the level takes only seconds.

Def. some strange bug.

some people trip me out , i mean is 1 minute all that long ?.

i do understand the 4 minutes , i had that myself when i first installed the game . i was telling my buddy who also has the game that if i cant find a tweak to make it start up faster im not going to bother playing it . it was like 4 to 5 minutes . way to long for any game IMO .

I posted some of the changes i made in another thread that i started . i made changes to my config file that made the game not only playable but also increased my load time . the biggest thing was changing the detail to high instead of very high .

but some of the stuff i did in my config file increased prefromance alot . at least for me . now it takes about a minute maybe less to start the game up . about 20 seconds to load my saved games . i dont use quick save or quick load . but like ut i think that making the hunkmeg (cachesize in ut) or whatever it is called to half my memory, sped up the loading times . anyways just look for a post by me (some tweaks for jk2 blah blah blah ).

im not saying this will help every1 . but it did help me and i love this game now .

good luck to every1 else that is having problems . also for radeon people . go to http://www.rage3d.com in the forums look under pc gaming . there is alot of stuff there for tweaking the game to make it run better for your cards . i have the 7500 and it runs pretty damn good .

specs

win98se for gaming

winxp pro for sheets and giggles

1.2 athlon

256 ddr ram

radeon 7500 290/229 @ 310/245

sb live! 5.1

maxtor 7200rpm 2meg cache ide hd

peace peeps .

:bdroid2:

I see that everyone is having a slow load up time or something. I heard there is way for the game to load up faster but i'm not sure how. A friend of mine said that you can change amount of use ram. I was told that the system is set on 70 - 80 something, but change the system so that it can use more ram. My friend saw it once. you have put the file into notepaid and rewrite the number and then replace the file. I'm not so sure. But you can also do this on RTCW. So if anyone knows what the hell i'm talking about. Please tell us what to do....... peace

That's the misconception here. RAM DOES NOT MATTER! Maybe a little, but not like Raven is saying. My machine has 128MB RAM and it's loading in like 9 seconds for quick-loads. Other people have over 512 and the load times are like 3 minutes for them. It's not the RAM, it's sloppy coding.:o

My system:

T-bird 1.2 @ 1.2

ECS mobo

384mb cl2 Crucial pc133

Hercules GeForce3 (27.42 drivers)

Win98SE

SB Live! 5.1 Digital Player

I have everything on max but have vsync disabled, and run in 1024 x 768. Loading time is just over one minute, and Framerates vary between 35 and 90 depending on action. The only time the FPS has dropped to the 20s is the approach to the mine on level 2!

Quite playable, I thought...!?

:fett:

Archived