Home

LOADING TIMES: if you have slow loads, read this

ChangKhan

system specks

2ghz p4

512 mg sdram

win xp

geforce 2 64 mg

all options r on the highest setting and it takes about 15-20 seconds to make a lag game filled with bots. and about 20 seconds to join a online game cos i only have a 56k modem.

if any1 could start a ping reducing post that would be great.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HI,

I've noticed that Jedi Knight II only breaks up with AMD's...

Anyone feels the same ?

- Killas -

----------------------------------------------------------

" If you can't convince them, confuse them..."

----------------------------------------------------------

athlon 600

768 megs pc 100 ecc ram

gforce 256 32 meg 23.11 det's (fastest ive found for me)

soundblaster live x-gamer (original)

26 gig quantum fireball ata 66 5400rpm

cendyne 24x10x40 cdrw

linksys 10/100 ethernet

toshiba pcx1100 cable modem

win2k sp2

single player settings:

1024x768@85hz 16bit

high details

multiplayer settings:

1024x768@85hz 16bit

meduim details

no stutters,no lag,no long loading times. but as some have mentioned i keep a very clean system, i defrag once a week,empty temp folders every day etc. etc..

i was getting some random lockups when i first got the game but nothing now,the problem was heat so i added an extra fan and all was well.

Originally posted by ph_ln

I have a voodoo 3 and noticed the performance problem straight away

You can actually get the games to load quicker by changing ANYTHING on the graphics option page. I usually change the texture quality between High and Very high. Click Apply, the screen refreshes and games load normally.

HTH

Phil

Yeah, i have that same problem. I'm using a Voodoo 3 3000 AGP under Win98 with 256megs of ram on a 1.3GHz Celeron. The game is on Normal settings almost always, but High Quality ain't bad either :)

If i die in the game, I can restart at the beginning of the level in under 10seconds... but if i try at anytime during gameplay to hit F9 (for a Quick Load) the game will get about 1/4 of the loading bar, then stop, the hard drive activity light stops blinking too.

Whenever this happens, I just go to the main menu (because the load would've ended the current game anyway) and I goto the video options.

From the video options i can change just about anything that requires me to click Apply to reset the video. I can go from Normal settings to High Quality or simply click the button til it goes from Normal back to Normal and hit Apply (it will apply faster that way).

Once I load the game then, it works just fine, load time isn't as fast as it would be if i started the level over, but it's under 20-30seconds.

Originally posted by Xytrix

Yeah, i have that same problem. I'm using a Voodoo 3 3000 AGP under Win98 with 256megs of ram on a 1.3GHz Celeron. The game is on Normal settings almost always, but High Quality ain't bad either :)

If i die in the game, I can restart at the beginning of the level in under 10seconds... but if i try at anytime during gameplay to hit F9 (for a Quick Load) the game will get about 1/4 of the loading bar, then stop, the hard drive activity light stops blinking too.

Whenever this happens, I just go to the main menu (because the load would've ended the current game anyway) and I goto the video options.

From the video options i can change just about anything that requires me to click Apply to reset the video. I can go from Normal settings to High Quality or simply click the button til it goes from Normal back to Normal and hit Apply (it will apply faster that way).

Once I load the game then, it works just fine, load time isn't as fast as it would be if i started the level over, but it's under 20-30seconds.

OK, my loading problems have been solved entirely. I was originally having not only loading problems, but problem reading the multiplayer menus in-game. Someone on the other board suggested a fix to the menus problem.

To fix the menu problem, I copied a Quake3 optimized WickedGL driver to my Jedi Knight II\GAMEDATA folder. It fixed the problem and I didn't have to overwrite any files, just simply added the opengl32.dll to the folder.

Later I began playing Single Player and I dont know why, but it began to use WickedGL's driver instead of the original OpenAL32.dll that came with Jedi Knight II. When I got in-game, I died to some sniper guys. I hit F9 forgetting that I recently had problems with Quickload.

TO MY SURPRISE THE QUICKLOAD WORKED!!!! I mean with the WickedGL driver, I know longer have any super long load times and it doesn't stop loading at 25% like before. I dont know if WickedGL works for those without Voodoo cards, but give it a shot, or just try other opengl32.dll files that might be for your card.

Dell P IV 1.5GHZ 256 MB ram, 40 GB hard drive....

My save files got progressivley bigger and bigger. And it would take me 5 minutes to load up a level in the Asteroid Base.

Here was my process:

1) Uninstall JKII

2) DEFRAG the hard drive

3) Reinstall

~Helped marginally~

4) uninstalled AIM (YES I SAID AOL INSTANT MESSENGER)

5) Reinstalled AIM

Works like a charm...though now AIM sometimes crashes on me

Just how I fixed my problem...

Also...any reason why AIM and JK II would conflict to the point of freezing up my machine???

Playing the other SciFi Game, which name I don't want to put in a Star Wars forum I noticed the same problem. And changing the graphic details or installing it on different pc's didn't solve the problem.

My Mhz 1000 with "SCSI 10'000 RPM-HD" and 384 MB RAM on Win98 PC and this old "other" game had an awful loading/saving time and sometimes unstable manners like lockdown's and so on and on and on...

Now with all the people loving this game I wonder why Lucas Arts didn't cross-check with other work they delivered.

It's sad because I don't like playing Jedi Knight II anymore. It's boring (every level looks somehow the same with the same baddies and with all these slow and unstable situations I should send it right back to George Lucas to give me my money back!

I will never buy a Lucas Arts so fast again (at least before getting experience from people who bought a future L-A-Product).

with your episode II you managed to get me to like the movies again, but with the games like the marketing-release of the latest monkey island you simply pushed me away...

it has occured to me that almost everyone has an AMD and several have radeons and <GF3ti500

the rest probably have a shoddy hdd

P41.6A@2.24

256mb SAMSUNG DDR333

Geforce 4 ti 4600 (of the VT flavour)

a year old 40GB IBM (not sure of model)

cold load: 22.48

warm load: 1.12

have a nice day:D

I have a dedicated gaming machine that has nothing but games on it. No antivirus, no startup items, etc. It's an Athlon XP 1800 box with 512MB of DDR RAM, GF4 Ti 440 (128MB) and a nicely fast WD 7200 ATA100 drive and the OS is WinXP Pro. Well, the first time I load a game it takes like very, very long. Next loads/reloads are faster but still longer that the worst offender so far: UT and most other games I had played so far. I mean I can live with that, I'm not really complaining but I bet the slow load times have little to do with machine configuration.

Zak

hi guys, i also have a voodoo 3 3000 agp, on xp pro, the game runs ok, load times are ok.. BUT...

i have this problem that once i am playing the game, if i go to save it, it gets very jumpy, DOES allow me to save. BUT, if i die, an either 'click to restart', or attempt to load a savegame from the menu, it dies.. crashes back to windows, and the gamma in windows is then about 10x higher than it should be... going to the 3dfx color settings manages to clear that back to normal, but it seems that the only way i can load a previously saved game, is to completely exit the game, and then reload it, an then load the savegame, else it either dies, or becomes stuck, at which point im forced to escape back to the main menu and quit the game....

Any idea's on how to fix this ?

I should mention also, that i am using the 3dfx Underground 1.06 alpha drivers from voodoofiles.com in XP also, as the 'real' drivers do not allow for opengl / glide in XP properly.

I read about the wickedgl fix, but the thing is, wickedgl dont support WinXP last i looked... will try getting hold of that version of opengl32.dll an sticking it in the directory though.... anythings worth a shot at this point... it pisses me off!! i hate having to reload the entire game just to load a level.. thats bull**** *shakes head*

let ya's know if it improves... and yeah any other idea's for voodoo 3 3000's on this game would be appreciated (apart from the rubbish dump!) :)

sys specs are:-

Athlon Thunderbird 800mhz

Asus A7V Via Apollo KT133 M/B

512meg SD-Ram

Voodoo 3 3000 AGP

Soundblaster Live!

C-Net 10/100 NIC

Flyvideo 2000 Tv Capture Card

Ricoh 32x12x10 Burner

Sony 40x/52x CD

2 x Western Digital 20gig 7200 rpm drives.

My Probs are all Multi Player, the single game runs awesome. MP gives me endless crashes ( or they are very long load times and i cant tell the difference Oo)

I disabled virus stuff, shut down my ram manager, and everything else but mouse proggie and Zone alarm. I cant get out of the score screen usually, total freeze. I have 81% resourses when i start JK2.

1 gig athlon

192 RAM

sb live value

GF2 MX 400

Im gonna try disableing some options........... This blows.

p4 1.5

512mb ram

gf3

On anything above medium detail accross the board i get really nasty jitters. Only this and MOHAA do this to me. All other games I have, I can crank the detail. A 'No-CD' patch would probably help a lot. Who do we have to bug the hell out of for that?

I just started suffering very long load times on saves as well.

You guys might wanna confrim the following is the same for you:

All saved games were about 1-2M a piece. After I ran the 1.3 patch my saved games jumped right up to 11-16M a piece! That's insane because it takes several minutes before the blue loading line even shows up! Plus there seems to be cursor stalling in the load/save menus as well.

This also started happening on the 'Doomgiver' level.

Anyone else have the same symptoms?

(PS-my system's been running this game great up until the patch was installed)

Just throwing my times out. I returned JK2 a week after I bought it due to the absolutely abysmal load times. I decided to give it another try.

My system:

AMD 800

448 megs RAM

Voodoo5 64 megs

3 7200 rpm HDs

1 gig swap file

Windows 2000 Pro

+ latest drivers, patches, etc.

My load times when I first got it were 5+ minutes. At the time I had 192 megs RAM. I bought another 256 megs the other day and gave it another try. Load times now run about 4 minutes. Still absolutely unacceptable. Every other game I have (UT, RTCW, etc) doesn't take nearly as long to load, 20 seconds max. I've just been running thru the early levels on God mode so I won't die and have to sit around waiting for the game to reload.

The only times I've gotten somewhat quick loads (about a minute) were times when I died or reloaded at the beginning of a level. I'm not sure what my graphics settings are, but I'll take a look. I know I'm not running it any higher than 800x600, and I'd wager I'm not running it at very high texture detail.

Chris

No load problems here; "Cold" load 20-25 seconds, "Warm" load 5 seconds. All details maxed on 1024*768 resolution.

Athlon XP1800+, WD 60GB 7200 rpm hard drive (ATA100), ASUS A7V266-E mobo, 512 MB DDR Crucial memory. 52 speed cd player, Win 98 SE.

lol.....this thread is just about who has a better putter.....and almost none of you have supplied information about ur hdd which just shows how low your computer knowledge is...

I have:

WindowsME(lol)

celeronA 533 (1st gen, non coppermine), 128 mb PC133 sdram, geforce 2mx 32mb, and IBM 7200 UDMA100 40GB HDD....

my loading times are....intiial load is about 50 sec, every warm load is in about 25-30 sec.....so what *^(*&$# is wrong with some of you... i wish my game ran as nice as my loading times are (relatively)....cause whenever i get in one of those open levels with tons of opponents...my fps drops to like......5fps :D maybe even less...had some troubles finishing this game (without cheats too). So as someone told you....as for loading times....hard disk is the most important issue..doesn't that actually make sense to you guys???

Go brag about your bull**** computers somewhere else...this post was why the loading time sux.....not....what kind of computer do you have!!!!!!!!

I have a 16mb Voodoo3 and 250mb ram.. I run JK2 CRANKED up.. And it runs really ,really well! Surprisingly. Sure, it stumbles with FPS.. But ffs, I don't even beat the min requirements.

No other game has looked so good on my old crappy computer. Ravensoft are Gods.

-Darth Caedes-

You guys are crazy.

I have an 1.2 Ghz Athlon ©, 256 Mb PC133 RAM, and, yes believe it or not, a good ole' Voodoo 3 Card (16 Mb). The game runs just fine with all settings on high and a 1024x768 resolution. My loading times are around 25s (timed) and subjectively this does not seem too long.

Maybe, the secret's in my 2x40 MB (5400 rpm) RAID system (stripe).

Enjoy the game!

:horn:

My load times are fine on my PIII 800/ 256meg RAM/ 64meg GeForce 2/ 7200rpm 60gig HD. The problem I have is that mainly MP and occasionally in SP, occasionally (read as: way too damned often) the framerate will drop from ~50fps to ~2fps; the music and sound stutters, and the game hangs for about 2 seconds.

Anyone else have a similar problem? I wonder if my soundcard has anything to do with it (it's a POS soundblaster ripoff...). Q3:A, UT, and RTCW all work fine, but JK2 and MOHAA both do this crap to me (MOHAA does it mainly in singleplayer).

I was having some dog @$$ slow loading times for a while until I reinstalled windows and defragged my drive after EVERY software installation. It took a while but now my system is ready for disk imaging and load times for JKII are lickety split!

I run a p3 500

128MB ram

16MB graphics card

and the entire game runs appallingly, even set on the very lowest graphics setting

I pity anyone who thought that they could run it on the minimum spec, because I have enough trouble running it with an extra 150MHz over the minimum.

there just seems to be so much hard drive activity, its almost constant. If anyone knows how to fix this, could they please reply

Archived