Home

freezing.

zombi3

first of all, jk2 ****ing kicks arse. :D

however, i'm having problems with it, which make it all the more agrivating. it freezes, randomly without any sort of warning. :(

my system specs:

p3, 933mhz

512mb ram

geforce2 ultra 64mb

xp pro

i'm quite sure most if not all my drivers are up to date, direct x, etc. and JK2 actually runs perfectly, no glitches, no slowdowns - JUST THE SUDDEN FREEZES. i've never had these problem before. and my pc's fine so long as i'm not playing it. i have reinstalled it. but the same thing's happened. when it freezes, i cant get back to windows - i cant do f*ck all. (cant alt-f4, cant alt+ctrl_del, cant esc) i've tried turning all the settings as low as they can possibly go. (no difference)

i'm not too sure if these may be adding to the problem: i bought and installed Global Operations the same day. and so far it's froze once (exactly the same way) but it doesn't freeze anywhere as much as jk2.

another thing i'm suspicious about is: GeForceTweakUtility. anyone else here use that as well? if so, can anyone tell me if ANYTHING at all in it can bugger up JK2?

thank you so much for your time, all :)

i just really want to play this game without hitting the reboot button every so often.

thanks again!

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"i'm quite sure most if not all my drivers are up to date, direct x, etc. and JK2 actually runs perfectly, no glitches, no slowdowns - JUST THE SUDDEN FREEZES."

I think you just answered yourself, get all of the newest drivers and then if it still freezes then you will be able to say you have em.

Multiplayer or Single Player freezing?

MP freezing occurs because the engine is set default to load all new player models on death.

This was something that I first ran into in the Q3Test demos and JO has an option to turn it off in the MORE VIDEO options.

With it on, every time you die you'll freeze up while the game updates any new model added to the game since you joined. With it off, I believe it loads these things as a sub process and while it might effect performance to some degree, I doubt highly you'll even notice it.

Now far as video lock ups in single player mode.

Check the jk2spconfig file. Do a search for the com_hunkmegs cvar, ensure you've set this value to 2/3rds of your system memory.

Generally when an Open GL game locks up to the point where you have to cold boot your computer, its associated with your video drivers.

If your using a Geforce based card, I'd recommend getting the Nvidia reference drivers, as they can offer more stability than the ones your gfx card came with. You can get those drivers from http://www.nvidia.com

I've noticed that the read me in JK2 recommends using DX8.0 and Nvidia's 23.11 reference driver set. DX won't generally cause compatibility issues if your using 8.1. But graphics drivers can. So if you continue to have problems, get the 23.11 reference drivers and try them. Remember to always reinstall Direct X after changing your gfx drivers.

And if anything, uninstall, reinstall gfx drivers and direct x, then reinstall JK2. That should be your last option. But sometimes it can work.

I have a geforce 4 4400, the latest reference drivers and dx 8.1 :)

It freezes on death, but it was pointed out that it might be loading player models. It's skips a bit when I just join a server but then cools down, but still occasionally skips/freezes during play for no apparent reason.

I'm also having this problem...

On another thread, someone suggested turning of the GL extensions.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but XP has DX8.1 built-in, so we can't really reinstall it everytime we switch our gfx drivers.

I've got a Gf3 Ti 200. Tried the latest drivers, and the latest Windows signed driver.

hey guys, thanks for replying to my first post. :)

the game still freezes during singleplayer mode. i haven't spent a lot of time with multiplayer, but it seems to work fine when i do though. i'm not sure if it's just a singleplayer problem, or if i just haven't played multiplayer long enough for it to freeze.

drivers etc: (i'm sorry i left it out earlier)

directx 8.1 (with xp)

nvidia detenators 28.32

i'll check out those video options :)

thanks again!

dont think this will help very much, but if anyone has the same problem i do;- does your music/sound go into this annoying loop?

Well, I have run into a couple of similar freezing problems as well.

At first, when I first installed the game, it would work fine and suddenly freeze (as well as getting stuck in a sound loop that sounded something like a bird in a coffie grinder). I checked the readme file and it suggested switchign your desktop settings to 16-bit color. I did this and so far it has stopped getting stuck as before.

However, now I seem to be having some sort of network errors. The most oftes is a "CL_ParsePacketEntities" error. I have no idea what that is exactly, but maybe somone here does. I am going to give the player model fix a try, perhaps that is my problem, but it happenes also when I am just playing bots.

For reference my computer is:

AMD XP 1050 mHz

512 DDR Ram

Radeon VE DDR w/ 64M Ram

And I'm running the game off of a 7200 RPM Wester Digital HD IDE

Also my net connection is ADSL through a SMC router, maybe that has to do with the network probs?~ I connect, but after a few minutes (not respawns) it has a network error of some sort.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Oh yes, and I am on Win2k Pro, got the updates and all for it.

It's been doing the same "freeze every ten minutes" on my system as well

Athalon 1.2 ghz

512 mb ram

Radeon 64mb DDR Vivo (latest drivers)

Soundblaster Live! (latest drivers)

Win XP

Latest 4in1 drivers as well

Love to why it's doing it...it's fun while you can play it

when installing the newest 4-in-1s w/ Windows XP, extract the executable to a directory (you can open it up in winzip/winrar) , right click on setup.exe and click properties. click on the "compatibility" tab and run in windows 2000 compatibility mode. If you don't do this, the newest AGP Gart driver will likeley not install. Strange, but true.

peace

In another thread, it was posted to disable GL Extensions. I was freezing every 5 minutes in XP Home until I disabled. Now can play without freezes or CTDs.

AMD 1.333 @ 1.5

768mb Crucial PC133

Geforce 2 Ultra (27.42)

SB Live XGamer

IBM Deskstar 60GXP

Dx8.1

VIA 4in1 4.38

Windows XP Home

:atat::atpt:

In case LucasArts checks this, just wanted to add I'm also having problems with the game freezing.

First time was at the end of the first cutscene, when Jan says to Kyle, "So much for the milk run..." The game freezes and Jan turns into a stuttering twit, "run.run.run.run.run.run...."

Other times seem random, but are repeatable. Going through the first imperial outpost and down into the room with the three probe droids... If I ran across the elevating platform in the middle of the room but didn't stay on it, it would begin to go "upstairs" without me, and the game would lockup and the sound would start stuttering again. I've also had occasional problems with loading save games, resulting in the same freeze/lockup.

I seem to have solved most of these problems by turning my graphics settings way down, but there's no reason I can see for me to have to do this based on the LucasArts recommended settings against system specs (listed under the FAQ).

CTRL-F4/ENTER doesn't do anything... Escape, nothing... ALT-Tab, nothing... CTRL-ALT-Del, nothing... I have to do a hard reboot everytime the thing freezes, it takes down the whole rig.

I'm running with the latest drivers (Nvidia and Creative Arts Audigy) on the following system:

Athlon 1.4 on an Asus board

256 meg PC2100 DDR

VisionTek GeForce 3

Audigy Gamer

Windows ME (I know, I know, it sucks)

Windows XP Pro

GeForce 3 Ti 500

SB Live

latest drivers for sound and vid.

Game gets stuck randomly. I can ctrl-alt-del enter enter (twice) to get the system to dump the memory and reboot. The watchdog file states that the video driver was stuck in an infinite loop :(

I wanna play!!!!!!!

I've only played single player up to where you have to enter the color codes. I did that and go to enter the next level across the bridge and EVERY time it goes to load that level it locks up on me. It is "my" guess that my lockups are due to a sound problem rather than video.

Reasons: sound went dead on initial loading of the intro scene, and at the point where I am now I get a crackle pop sound right before it locks. This being the point when it begins whatever sound effects I'm "suppose" to hear.

Soooo, looks like I'm stuck where I am for the time being :(

Well at least im not the only one it's doing it too. This is what it's doing to me I turned everything onto low settings goes for a bit then just crashes the same lockup and sound repeats. Cold reboots blah blah. I emailed LA to see if they know anything on how to stop this.

Im running a Athlon 950 oc 1045

512 MB Ram

right now ATI Rage Pro 128 (Had to send G4 back due to post errors)

So far im at least on mission 3 but annoyed cause bah bah not taking chance on playing it mp yet.

hmm, glad (sort of) that I'm not the only one having this problem.

Windows XP Pro

AMD Athlon 1600 XP Oc'd to 1.6 gigz

Geforce 3 ti500

sblive 5.1 xgamer

389 mb ram

I have tried everything to stop this problem, I even did a clean install of XP, and its still a no go, the game freezes randomly and requires a cold reboot before you can even press any buttons.

My take on this; The first time I had JK:O installed, I had the newest detonator drivers, and the game didn't crash, but the shadows were messed up, so I installed the recomended drivers, 2.3.1.1. Crash city insues. Me thinks I will go back to the latest drivers with screwed up shadows so I can at least play the game :/

p.s.-The shadows are stills screwed up with the 2.3.1.1 drivers....)

to everyone who's read this tread, thank you. :D

I AM EXTREMELY (i can not stress this enough) SURPRISED that you all have the same problem. because when i first started looking for similar posts, i couldn't find any.

but either way; what i find even more surprising, is that me going back into regedit and undoing/removing something i did a while ago fixed the problem. (this has something to do with adding a key to unload .dll files automatically - or something) unless every single person here did the same thing, i just think it's interesting that we all get the same problem - freezing with the sound looping.

i run the game at everything set to max at 32bit colour without any problems whatsoever now. if anyone did use regedit to mess with some settings, maybe it might help to undo them just in case?

thank you again, all. :)

Archived