freezing.

zombi3

Add me to the list of the crashees. My specs:

Duron 800@885

256mb PC133

GeForce2 MX 32mb

Aopen AW744 Pro

WinXP Home

I recently updated to WinXP, but did so by formatting and doing a clean install. JK2 is currently the only real game on the computer, although other 3D programs I have tried seem fine.

JK2 crashes at random. I have not found any 'given crash points' . . . it just happens. Sometimes I can play for an hour, sometimes 1 minute.

I have tried the 23.11 and 28.32. I have tried turning off GL extensions. I've downloaded Rivatuner and tweaked the OpenGL settings with it. I've tried 16bit and 32bit color depths. I've tried lower resolutions (usually run at 1024x768x32). The game itself is very smooth, usually about 50fps. But nothing I have done keeps it from freezing and looping the sound.

Usually WinXP tells me that JK2 has experienced a problem and needs to close, yadda yadda, and kicked me back to the desktop with the gamma high. Sometimes it will hard lock and I have to do a hardware reset. Still other times it will BSOD (briefly) and then restart the system.

Multiplayer does the same things, just not as often. But then, I don't play multiplayer as much either.

Granted, I am overclocked. I may try going back to normal, but I really don't see why JK2 should be affected by this when nothing else is. I just wanna play in peace! This is one of the best games I've played in a long long time, but I'm more paranoid of crashing then Dark Jedi! :mad:

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I have something!

I put the shortcut to Jedi Outcast in the startup folder and shut the computer down for two hours. When I started up the computer, I immediately jumped into single player and played for three whole minutes until it locked up!

I am seriously lacking in fannage, now that I think about it. I have three fans inside: one doesn't turn, one does, and the one on my graphics card works well. I have the side case off... Hmmm... I suddenly feel very foolish. :o

Tomorrow I will grab up every fan in the house and point them at the exposed side of my computer and try to play. ... Might this stir up too much dust? A bad idea? Any other ideas? Please share!

I need to update my situation...

I thought I had installed the nvidia 27.50 drivers for my Creative graphics card (from the creative website) and I was experiencing the hard freeze w/ sound loop and I had to hit the reset button.

It turns out I never correctly installed the 27.50 drivers, so I still had the creative labs version of the nvidia 6.50 driver installed. I then reinstalled the 6.50 driver thinking I was downgrading from 27.50 to 6.50. Well, the result of that is that I could play for about 1.5 hrs. or so before I got the hard freeze again.

Recently I realized I never actually installed the 27.50 driver, so I proceeded to do it right this time. Now that it's installed, I can play about 1.5 to 2 hrs. before a freeze. The freeze I experience now is where I can see my mouse cursor on the screen while the game is locked up, and I can shut the game down by hitting enter twice. Once the game shuts down, I see that high gamma desktop, but I can at least manually restart which i feel is better than a hard reboot.

I have heard this version of freezing previously in this thread, but, in my case, it takes a while of playing to replicate this freeze. I wonder if someone at Raven will be able to replicate any of these freezes. Do they have test computers that resemble some of our configurations?

If they don't have comps like some of the various ones listed in this thread, I don't think they can replicate the freezes. That may be why we haven't heard anything from them.

Hope any of this helps others somehow...

Well I certainly don't have the choice of installing drivers other than 23.11 because anything else just refuses to work with dxdiag properly, disabling my AGP Texture Acceleration.

I haven't tried playing JK2 yet out of fear of crashes (Yes, I'm paranoid now) but I played a perfect game of MOHAA for 4 hours yesterday without any crashes whatsoever and got the same good results from RTCW (2 hours). I even played Dungeon Siege for 9 straight hours.

This problem seems to only occur with JKII and although I cannot validate this, there are reports of other games (especially MOHAA) crashing with JK2 installed. Note, that I could run all of these games fine yesterday but I did not have JK2 installed, so I can't verify if the crashes have anything to do with the game installed.

Can anyone here verify it?

For me, the crashes happen most predominantly in MP, not SP. The game will freeze/crash within 10-15 min everytime I start playing either joining or creating. When I play SP, the freezes come rarely if at all now.

Originally posted by white_lancer

I think I have something!

I put the shortcut to Jedi Outcast in the startup folder and shut the computer down for two hours. When I started up the computer, I immediately jumped into single player and played for three whole minutes until it locked up!

I am seriously lacking in fannage, now that I think about it. I have three fans inside: one doesn't turn, one does, and the one on my graphics card works well. I have the side case off... Hmmm... I suddenly feel very foolish. :o

Tomorrow I will grab up every fan in the house and point them at the exposed side of my computer and try to play. ... Might this stir up too much dust? A bad idea? Any other ideas? Please share!

Blowing air onto a chip doesn't cool it off, Its all about Air Flow. First put the case back together. Your PC is actually more prone to overheat with the case off. When the case is together, the computer creates a vacume with its fan or fans. With the side off. The air just floats around the machine.

I would replace the fan thats not working. Then I'd make sure that all you fans are not sucking air into the machine. Idealy one fan should suck in the air and another should suck it out. If you case supports more fans from different angles, you should set most of your sides to sucking air in and one side(usually the back) To sucking air out. Also Make sure that anywhere the machine is taking in air has at least a good 10 - 12 inches of clearance.

Like others on this page I have suffered severely from the freeze/sound loop crash Which on one occasion was so severe that it completely hosed the Windows installation.

On doing a bit of research on the problem, I have come to the conclusion that JK:O is especially sensitive to the problem involving hte SBLive! soundcard and certain VIA chipsets.

For the records I have :

Dual PIII 800EB

ECS D6VAA motherboard with VIA 686B chipset

SBLive! Value

ATI Radeon VE

Windows 2000 SP2

There is a known problem withe Live! cards and the 686B chipset that was supposed to have been fixed in the 4-in-1 driver version 4.31 and above. Tests have shown that the driver update did not resolve the issue.

What I can say is that the non-professional "Georges PCI Latency Patch" does seem to have solved my problem (I spent 3 happy hours playing yesterday and was actually able to shut the machine down myself!)

The patch is available form the Viahardware website at VIA 686b & Soundcards

Please note that this fix applies ONLY if you have the VIA 686b chipset and a SBLive! soundcard, do not run the patch if you do not have this setup as it could damage your machine.

If you are unsure wether your machine has the 686b chipset, check your motherboard manual, or alternatively download a copy of SiSoft Sandra which will give you information on your hardware setup.

THE FREEZE/SOUND LOOP PROBLEM IS A DIRECTX PROBLEM

Stop posting your system specs in hoping of solving the freeze/sound loop. It IS a DX problem. A very selective one at that.

The Freeze/Sound Loop occurs on game in ALL GENRES and ALL ENGINES and on ALL SYSTEMS. I have no clue what the cause is, and as far as I know there is no sure way to fix it. Try dxdiag....that might help....either way, I dunno. I've had it in other games, and every time I have no idea what I did to fix it. It just disappears one day...

AS FOR THE OTHER CRASHES....they are something else. I'm talking about the FREEZE/SOUND LOOP ONLY....

p3 1000 655megs ram ,ax64 pro mb,Herc Xp soundcard, 28.32 drivers used in all cards below

with a old Mx card not 1 crash or freeZe

on a gf3 card not 1 crqsh or freeze

with a sparke gf4MX card instant freeze on opengl startup, turn gl_extentions off, about 5 mins the freeze, with dx_sound_acel off same.(same with MoHAA,Cs and other games - stay way from sparke atm)

with a msi gf4mx card, no freeze on start up, in game freezing,

with or without gl_off or Dx_accel off. No freezeing on CS or MOhAA.

the thing i see as common in the freezing issue, is that older cards work well, newer cards dont.

Sound_card is not the problem.

Raven must know this if the say to use 23.11 drivers

I too was having dreadful problems getting it to run for longer than a couple of minutes before crashing to the sound of looping effects.

I tried all the suggestions here; lastest Detonators, lowering sound quality, lowering sound acceleration, lowering desktop resolution and colour depth, but none made the slightest difference.

What did it for me was setting the Shadows in More Video to Simple - no more crashes for me. If I set it back to Volumetric then bang! - it crashes within the next minute or two.

If you've not already tried it then give it a go.

Win XP Pro

ABIT KT7A-RAID

Duron 1.0@1.2

512MB SDRAM

Geforce 3 Ti200 @ 200/450

Detonator 28.32

SB Live! Value

No, I'm not kidding. As I said, it is a very selective problem. I know of SEVERAL GAMES that I or my friends have had the EXACT SAME CRASH in.....now tell me again that its JO only thats causing the freeze/sound loop. Its not. want proof?

Counter-Strike Topic about the FREEZE/SOUND LOOP

I must also add that this WAS at one point a pinned thread, but after going on for 10 pages with no progress, they realized that there's nothing they can do.

That is a link to the freeze/sound loop problem (EXACT SAME FREEZE/SOUND LOOP as is being described here)...the only difference between that thread and this one is that the game is different, and they've realized that there isn't a solution.

I bet that if you go to the forums of popular games made in past year or two, you will find similar topics. I know for a fact that this is NOT just a JO problem, or just a JO/CS problem. This extends to a LOT of games....the only common link between them is DIRECTX...

Again, PLEASE realize that this is not a problem that has a universal fix. In fact, I know NOBODY that has a proven fix for this problem. Everyone I know has fixed this problem by complete accident, by installing another program or something.

And PLEASE TRUST ME ON THIS. I have experienced this problem on other games than JO, and it ***IS*** the SAME crash.

Now, back to what I was saying earlier, people are experiencing OTHER CRASHES than the freeze/sound loop. They are more deserving of our attention, since they can probably be fixed...

um, no...what I'm saying is that the freeze/sound loop has no one solution that will fix everyone's game.

What I am in fact saying is that the freeze/sound loop is a lost cause. There are other crashes people are having that have a better chance of being fixed...

and please, I'm not trying to start a flame war...if you want to flame me please e-mail me instead of destroying this thread.

...BTW, if I knew of a way to fix the freeze/sound loop i'd be playing JO right now.

I for one do not believe that this is a DirectX related error, as it seems it has more to do with one of the game's GL Extentions having a conflict with certain graphics cards, AGP ports, motherboards or soundcards; all of which is often the result of poor beta/QA testing and/or bad programming. Even if it is a DirectX error, they should have spotted it out instead of using us as guinea pigs to detect it. I for one know that Blizzard and id Software would have fixed these issues way before release, as evidenced by Diablo 2's stability (despite its shoddy gameplay) and Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

One would wonder why the bug affects no one in those games.

The reason all of these bugs were squashed with Quake 3 and RTCW were because of the many QA tests conducted prior to their release. ID Software is simply fussy about fixable things like these.

To say that the DirectX problem affects certain games (such as JK2 and CS) without cause is ridiculous, if not used as an outright scapegoat.

So while this problem isn't something us gamers can do about directly, Raven -could- fix it if they wanted to, but it seems that they're away on hiatus, unavailable for our calls. This isn't something I would describe as product service.

just adding my name to the list of crashees.

I was actually having very few crashes until i got about 2 levels in now it happens all the time. Sometimes when loading level,sometimes while playing,sometimes reboots my computer.

This sucks all my other games work fine -mohaa,rtcw etc etc.

Damnit not one post from raven or anyone!

add me to the list... after i finally got it to install i was able to get to the end of the canyon level (with the at-sts) and it froze at one point in the cutscene... i reloaded it again just to make sure it wasnt random... it seems like it freezes at the same exact point everytime... it freeze and it either drops me into a really bright desktop or i hafta CRL+ALT+DEL and hit enter to drop back to a really bright desktop...

to add to that problem, MP wont work at all... it gives me the same problem when i start loading a level in MP...

i don't remember having any problem like this before in any other game... i've only played the demos for MOHAA and RTCW and they ran fine... older games like Quake 3, Half-Life, and Quake 2 also ran fine...

system:

Duron 800

VIA K133

640 RAM

GeForce 2 GTS

SB Live

Creative 12x DVD Encore

Plextor 24x CD-RW

Windows ME

the newer det drivers (not 23.11)

so far i've only seen one comp running JK2 well... and even then it had a minor problem with the install... 4/5 comps have had pretty major problems so far...

Maybe a class action law suit against a game developer and "parties involved" would bring some heads around... Why is it that this is the only industry where you can buy a product, have it not work at all, and then not be able to get a refund? When you buy a car... you expect it to run... When you buy a washing machine you expect it to wash clothes... When you buy a pack of gum you expect to be able to chew it... When you buy a T-shirt you expect to be able to wear it... But gee... lets see here ... Lets buy a car that looks good sittin in the driveway while we ride the bus to work... Lets buy a washing machine that eats clothes...

yeah something needs to be done about this...

My specs are on here so I won't bother posting them again.

Tonight I tried reformatting my HD and clean loading Win98. I went out and got the latest drivers and updates for everything. Installed JK2 and got the same crash to desktop gamma thing as before.

Now I've messed around with drivers, changed video and sound options, reinstalled the game and the OS. I have at one point or another experienced every kind of crash and freeze mentioned here.

Is it a problem with directx?

Is it a problem with Soundblaster cards?

Nvidia video cards?

Nvidia drivers?

Quake3 engine?

Windows?

It seems like it could be any one of these things or even a combination of all of them.

Well after rebooting my computer for what seemed like the 1001st time since last week, I think I'm gonna put this game on the shelf untill there's some sort of update. The only reason it's not going back to the store is that I think LucasArts will at some point address these issues, but I'm done screwing around with it.

I would suggest anyone who's sick of trying to get JK to work, return the game or put it away, but not before sending LA an email explaining why you've done so.

PS-Also try to keep in mind that programming doesn't happen at the speed of light. A technical patch to fix these problems might take weeks(maybe longer) to produce, and for software that's a pretty normal timeframe. But no I'm not condoning releasing software that has glaring compadibility issues with popular hardware/software setups. Shame on the beta testers, if there were any, and assuming we are not them.

BunnyTea : Have you tried the latency patch I siggested? Your setup is one of those known to suffer from the problem I described. After installing this patch on my machine I have not had it crash since.

From the readme file included :

If your computer has any of the following symptoms:

Files copied from one IDE hard disk drive to another are corrupted

The computer stops ("freezes", "hangs", "locks up") when playing sounds, especially to a Creative SoundBlaster LIVE! card

The computer stops ("freezes", "hangs", "locks up"), or files are corrupted, when copying to or from an IDE DVD, CDROM, or CDRW drive

Sounds from a SoundBlaster LIVE! card are distorted when other PCI settings are adjusted in the computer

AND, if your computer has a VT82C686B chip on its motherboard, along with one of the following chips:

Apollo Pro, Pro Plus, Pro133, Pro133A; labeled "VT82C691" or "VT82C693" or "VT82C693A" or "VT82C694X"

KX133, labeled "VT8371"

KT133, labeled "VT8363"

KT133A, labeled "VT8363A"

Pro266, labeled "VT8633"

KT266, labeled "VT8366"

then you might need this driver.

I was playing JK with no problems until it started to freeze and/or crash on me.

It always freezes/crashes at the same point(s)! Right after the cutscene after artus_topside (where you face Desaan the first time). As soon as the cutscene is over and the game tries to load [something], and I guess Desaan draws his saber(?), it crashes one of two ways:

1. JK2s has caused a fault in jk2gamex86.dll click here for more info, etc etc etc (when this happens, it screws up my desktop res.&gamma)

2. It freezes, a mouse cursor appears (which disappears depending on where i move the mouse), and i might get a repeated sound loop (varies). When this happens, i have to hit the reset button on my computer

In order to try to work around this problem, a friend of mine sent me a save game he had from Yavin Temple (the level right after artus_topside). The game ran fine UNTIL I got to the room where Luke Skywalker is. As soon as I walk in and he starts to draw his light saber, the game crashes again!

It seems to me that the light saber is somehow causing my freezing/crashing problems. In multiplayer, I do not have this error (or any error) at all.

Has anyone noticed and/or corrected a similar problem?

YAY! :angel: Thank you, thank you Vypr!

I have found the fix for my problem!

I was following the link you posted:

Originally posted by Vypr

Like others on this page I have suffered severely from the freeze/sound loop crash Which on one occasion was so severe that it completely hosed the Windows installation.

On doing a bit of research on the problem, I have come to the conclusion that JK:O is especially sensitive to the problem involving hte SBLive! soundcard and certain VIA chipsets.

For the records I have :

Dual PIII 800EB

ECS D6VAA motherboard with VIA 686B chipset

SBLive! Value

ATI Radeon VE

Windows 2000 SP2

There is a known problem withe Live! cards and the 686B chipset that was supposed to have been fixed in the 4-in-1 driver version 4.31 and above. Tests have shown that the driver update did not resolve the issue.

What I can say is that the non-professional "Georges PCI Latency Patch" does seem to have solved my problem (I spent 3 happy hours playing yesterday and was actually able to shut the machine down myself!)

The patch is available form the Viahardware website at VIA 686b & Soundcards

Please note that this fix applies ONLY if you have the VIA 686b chipset and a SBLive! soundcard, do not run the patch if you do not have this setup as it could damage your machine.

If you are unsure wether your machine has the 686b chipset, check your motherboard manual, or alternatively download a copy of SiSoft Sandra which will give you information on your hardware setup.

... to the Via hardware site and also came across this thread (that might help people)

http://forums.viaarena.com/messageview.cfm?catid=13&threadid=3803&highlight_key=y&keyword1=sound%20AND%20loop%20AND%20XP)

Called "FIXED AGP INFINITE LOOP PROBLEM !!!"

Anyways, I downloaded the VIA 4in1 v4.29 patch and the game ran for four hours with just one lockup! :D

I was foolish and did not find out the exact name of every bit of hardware I had and I did not go and find websites for each component. Oh, I'd like to thank the powers that be for all the help they've given. :rolleyes:

Do people think I should update the list anymore? If there is a popular consensus, I will continue.

Archived