Home

freezing.

zombi3

same prob as the rest except that i cant even get into the game. it freezes with sound loop right before the lucasarts logo screen.

my specs:

p3 500

196ram

ge2 mx 32mb(23.11) also tried 28.32

crystal sound fusion card(latest drivers)

win98SE

directx 8.1

but...

it works perfectly, no probs whatsoever for sp and mp, on my other comp.

p3 500

128ram

voodoo3 16mb

soundblaster card(forgotten which one exactly)

win98SE

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My multiplayer freezes, but only in certain places, and the thing is: it didnt start happening until about a week ago. It only freezes when an MP map changes when I'm in a server or when a demo I just played has finished. What the hell is going on? someone f***ing get in here and help us out.

Bull-Balls:fett:

I've come to the conclusion that i'm just going to have to wait for the patch, and stop trying in the vain hope that the game won't crash.

How many times can i see "windows has recovered from a severe error" before my whole pc goes belly up?

OK, despite my previous post, i thought to myself "I KNOW!!! i'll drop my graphics settings and that will cure everything".

The game replied by throwing up a screen with a pattern of dots varying in colour as they went down the screen. I wish i could describe it better, but no other program ***EVER*** has managed to make any computer i've ***EVER*** owned display such garbage.

So this time i'm really giving up until a patch arrives (really...)

ok, as posted ealier this eve..my report so far:

-desktop set to 16bit

-AGP set to 2x

-shadows off

-GL ext off

-another video card driver

-setting down my FSB

...just dont fix anything about the freezes (at last not on my system) -except i am able to play some more mins before it finally stucks.

I havent checked MP yet since it is just too annoying to hardreset alllll the time.Finally i gave up any further trying since i doubt any other thing except a patch will fix this major issue.

btw:if anyone's interested... i run a Tbird 1200C,Epox 8KHA+, Radeon8500, SB1024 live and Win98SE -but i doubt this means anything in this case.

still strange my GF2ti worked without any probs...

BUMP.....again.

Went back to ME again w/ clean format, and can play a little bit...freeze seems to be soon after doing a quickload, anyone else notice this? Sure the junk freezes anyway eventually, but seems to hit me sooner after I die, and load or restart. Either way, still can't make it more than 10 minutes or so...I love it.

Many SB Live's and XP Pro configs in this long ass thread but many others too...I'm convinced after trying it on 3 systems now and 3 OS, copying to HD installin from there, getting a new copy, many fixes listed here, drivers, settings up and down, and tweaks that this is a waste of time and is NOT our problem.

Sad that it's taking this long, and still no word. Everyone make sure to vote on the poll post on this forum, it's already 64% freezing.

Love to do some skinning and level design but no way in hell when I can't use them.

I filled out this form three weeks ago and never got a response. Not that I would expect a response to solve anything, based on what I've heard.

I've filled it out again tho, everyone should do it, if they get swamped with error reports maybe it'll start a fire under their asses.

Add me to the long list of people who's system has been screwed by JKII.

But I have more horror to add. Not only does JKII lock up my system (w2k, 512 meg ram, athlon 1.2 ghz, radeon VE, sb live) completely while playing, forcing me to reboot. But since installing Jedi Knight II yesterday, I've found other programs which previously i've had no problem with have started locking my system too, the same as Outcast does. It's very distrubing.

Namely media player when viewing some avi files, most recently. Never had a problem with this file before.

I have the latest ATI drivers, and directx 8.1.

This is very sad.

I also add that i just finished playing Return to Castle Wolftenstien yesterday (rushing through the end, because it was rather boring, and I wanted to install JKII), and though it uses the same Q3 engine, I never had a single problem with it freezing or crashing... not one problem.

Originally posted by Avernus

I filled out this form three weeks ago and never got a response. Not that I would expect a response to solve anything, based on what I've heard.

I've filled it out again tho, everyone should do it, if they get swamped with error reports maybe it'll start a fire under their asses.

I got a response back today! Basically asking me to try everything I already have, but I understand that in order to troubleshoot, it's easier for them if I start back at the basics.

Essentially the advice was to turn the default video settings to 'fastest' and the sound quality to low and see if it still crashes. If it seems OK, they want me to ramp the settings up slowly. It's a bit tedious playing at low resolution (looks like a console game ;) ), but if it helps narrow the problem down then I have no objections.

It hasn't crashed yet in ultra-low quality mode, in fact it makes a change for me to die before the game crashes :p - I haven't had time to play for long though.

I have recently found that after reinstalling direct3d 8.1 and restrting and then rushing through the menu screen and loading my game as fast as possiable i can play for quite some time. It frove on me once in that past mabey 4 hours i player(through out the week) and i just reinstalled direct x. Works ok now but who knows? Good Luck

Hey has anyone who has had other programs mess up after JK2 found a fix other than reformat?

I had Medal of Honor running fine just days ago after a format, then installed Jedi Knight 2 which of course freezes right on cue, but now Medal of Honor does too, even before I can get in the game.

Uninstalled JK2, went through registry, MoH still crashed. Uninstalled Medal of Honor, did the same to reg, reinstalled MoH, same crash, similar to JK2, User.Exe crash. Never happened before..hmm. So now it has wiped out my profile on XP twice, eventually making it unbootable and now ruins my other Q3 games under ME.

It does affect it somehow, no reason it should but it does. It must have taken a lot of programming prowess to make a game that can rape a system so well.

I am going to take a wild guess here but i bet it messes with your directx, it seems that installing directx after installing jk2 helps alot. I bet that is why my rtcw and moh is ****ed. Damn this no support. If on win2000 or 9x try re installing direct 3d. XP users screwed.

I've re-installed directX 8.1 and my video drivers several times after installing JKII, and it didn't help at all. So the suggestion that it (reinstalling dx) does help, I do not think is correct.

This baffling problem continues to plague...

i dont know if anyone has said this (7 pages is quite alot to read) but you HAVE to change your pc from acpi to standard pc if using a higher quality graphics card and win2k or winxp. its hard to explain, go to device manager, under system (or whatever its called, towards the top) it shuold say acpi, go to properties, change driver, shoose driver from list, click all possible drivers, and then change to standard pc.

when you restart, you will have to reload all drivers. i dont know if this is your problem, but if you get a small loop of the last sound played and computer freezes in 3d games, this is probably it. acpi shares irq's, and higher end graphics cards cant share irq's with other cards.

I see alot have same issue here, mine is abit diffrent. Didnt have any freezes in SP ( maby one or two ) but nothing i couldnt deal with.

My problem is in MP, last night all the sudden it whould freeze each time a MAP whould finish - CTF, TFFA and FFA. Just as the stats menu comes up and the server gets rdy to load next map i Freeze cant do ctrl-alt-del cant alt-F4 or alt - tab, its a cold reboot i gotta do befor i can even play again. But now it seem it freezes each time a map is over and its getting really on my nervs:(

No idea what can have triggered this, because it have runned smoothly for last three weeks. For some reason i crash / freeze and it aint my drivers. As i said i have been playing smoothly for three weeks and no patch have been out yet that whould have me upgrade my drivers ( tho i dont need to ).

So its abit of a mystery to me.

AMD Athlon 800

256 Ram

NVIDIA GeF2 MX

Creative SB Audio 128 Legacy

Win98

Originally posted by Ignodium

i dont know if anyone has said this (7 pages is quite alot to read) but you HAVE to change your pc from acpi to standard pc if using a higher quality graphics card and win2k or winxp. ...

...if you get a small loop of the last sound played and computer freezes in 3d games, this is probably it. acpi shares irq's, and higher end graphics cards cant share irq's with other cards.

Well it's early days, but I finally got round to testing this (I also read it somewhere else) and it certainly seems far more stable so far.

Cheers!

I had the same problems that everyone else is having...freezing, and all. I was getting freezes in all my games with the Geforce2, but not with my voodoo3 3000. I reformatted, took out my Geforce2, put my voodoo3 back in and all my games work fine. So then I try my games (JO NOT installed) w/the Geforce and they freeze again. It must be a video card issue.

Nope its a sound card issue. i actually get a message regarding dsound when mine goes down and thats with the crash high gamma thing But i dont care anymore cause ive just introduced Jedi Outcast to CLONECD and they get on just fine.

OHhhhhhhhh look theres my receipt.

You rip me off,nahhhhhhhh i rip u offffffffff raven

He's not pirating JO, he's actually making his one legal copy of the CD he bought.

But are you doing this so that you can run the game? Or just to be a smart ass? There have been posts about people making a CD copy and then being able to run off the copy.

At some point I may do the same to have a backup in case the original gets scratched but I'm way to busy killing Stormtroopers to worry about that now.

OT but anyone ever have a CD "detonate" inside their CD-ROM drive? It's not a pretty thing!

Right i might be gettin somewhere.

I have 3 versions of the game 1 original , 1 warez pre realease (on loan) and 1 clonecd version of the original.

The clonecd version behaves just like the original crashes high gamma.

The warez does not just gl errors that i fixed (use nvidia 23.11 nvopengl.dll)

When I 1st run this game I can play 4 as long as I want.

When I quit reload and carry on problems occur sooooooo

The games either writing somthing in the config or

corrupting the save files

some people report that deleting the sp.cfg file and runnin again fixes there problem so it could very well be the cfg file at fault

1 more thing when I used to level design on Q3a the 1 thing you learnt was all those "pak" files get allocated memory on launch so that could be a problem

but I still think its sound

I think I pretty muched fixed the whole freezing bit! My graphics card and network card were sharing the same IRQ. My sound card and USB controller were also sharing the same IRQ. So I switched the modem and sound card to different PCI slots. I also changed from ACPI to standard PC. Played JO for about an hour and a half and had no freezes. Before it would freeze after about 5-10 minutes. Hopefully it stays stable!

Archived