zombi3

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AHHGHH forget that, i still have the sound loop error. :mad:

this bites.

i have tried:

- deleteing the jk2mpconfig.cfg file

- installing the original divers that came with my sound card (SB Live)

- disabling EAX

- reinstalling

- disabling my sound card and using onboard sound

nothing works, sometimes the game just exits for no reason, and now i get screen corruption occasionally as well, but it's usually the Sound Loop.

every other game works flawlessly, my computer runs purrrfectly (for once in my life), and this game blows out every time.

what garbage.

It seems there may be more than one cause to the looping problem. After several months of frustration and trying every suggestion on this thread, here's what finally fixed it for me.

New power supply for my PC.

It seems that my cheap power supply that came with my cheap case (I had built my own computer) wasn't up to the job even though it was rated at 300W. The last 3 games I got had similar problems to Jedi II; hangups, usually with sound looping. I began to suspect power supply problems when troubleshooting the same looping issue with Return to Castle Wolfenstein. I bought a 430W Antec power supply, and every game I was having trouble with now works flawlessly, including Jedi II.

Worked for me, YMMV.

Chris

Hmm. I have the latest dets, latest DirectX. Everything's updated. Windows 2000 SP 3. No updates left at WindowsUpdate. Bios is up2date.

The game even worked before..

Now it locks up, and the sound loops.

When JK2 starts up, it does the Lock'n'Loop during the intro movie. Pressing Escape or starting in Safe-Mode skips that. Then, when starting a new game it's back. LnL. After skipping THAT, the 'in-game' intro of Kyle and Jan works fine.. Until Mon-Motha appears.

The game works fine from that point, until I try to load the quicksave (which it doesnt, because of the LnL bug). Oh, it's also quite odd that it LnLs in the Load screen. It constantly LnLs when you turn off GL Extensions.

It's just.. weird.

I did all the 'fixes', and more. Nothing works. JKII is the only game that bugs, everything else just runs stable and all. EAX is turned off..

• 4 weeks later...

it took about 20 minutes to freeze, which is quite a while for me.

so i suggest everyone does try this out. just because it didn't work for me doesnt mean it wont for you :)

my SP has always worked fine, its just MP

oh well, thanks for the info anyways, i want to know ALL the ways people have solved this problem.

keep up the good work.

:cool:

• 2 weeks later...
I bought a 430W Antec power supply, and every game I was having trouble with now works flawlessly

Excellent move! So few people understand the need for a powerful, quality power supply and for top-quality memory.

I know alot of people are suffering from problems related to the JK2 software but I'm sure there are just as many having problems due to the generic crap they have inside their case. A couple of guidelines from a part-time systems integrator:

- Memory - go to the Crucial web site, find your system or mainboard and buy the memory for it from Crucial. Don't buy generic or PNY memory or anything they sell at Best Buy or CompUSA.

- Power Supplies - just make your decision and life easy by buying an Antec power supply of AT LEAST 350W, preferably 400W.

Yes, there are much cheaper parts but you really need a quality PSU and memory. There are many other brands but if you're not an experienced system builder, then going with Crucial and Antec is most likely your best move.

Infinite sound loop freeze-ups can occur on any system playing any graphically intense 3d game. As such, it doesn't make sense to blame the "typical" sound loop problem on the game. The best solution I've found is to get a beefy, high-quality power supply.

I haven't been here in since God only knows how long but I pulled JK2 off my shelf as I just got a Radeon 8500LE to sort of replace my GF3 Ti 200. On this card, just as it did on the GF3, the game runs flawlessly. I just wish the damn guns would shoot straight!

• 3 weeks later...

I HAVE FIXED IT :) :) :) :)

all i had to do was upgrade to a GIG of RAM and purchase a brand new 80gig HDD. now ity runs fine....ecept i cant increase or decrease the brightness :confused: other than that i have solved my freezing problem, the biggest downside was the $340AU it cost for the upgrade.

(and no i didn't upgrade JUST to play JK2 my old hdd died)

I also freeze! BUT I found out when i freeze. Whenever someone besides me thrwos their saber and then i freezes right when the saber comes bask to them. when i do it nothing happens! it also happens when i dont see the saber being receved. oddly enough i also have the geforce audigy sound card and win xp

tried everything above didn't help me.. game runs normally for a while.. how long seems completely random, at times it starts continually freezing as soon as I start, and sometimes I can play like 20 mins before it begins.. wierdest thing is, once it starts, the freezing stops when I pull down the console, but when I put it up again it immediatelly starts freezing again.

• 1 month later...

Make this thread longer? anyway i have 1 question for everyone who freezes, This is DO YOU FREEZE WHEN SOMEONE ELSE DOES A SABER THROW. the freezing on my comp happens right when the saber hits the hand and it doesnt freeze when i do saber throw. and if this happpens to all the freezing people then we might be able to figure someting out by knowing what causes it. Bub i dont know im just wondering!

Archived