Home

freezing.

zombi3

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm havent gone that far back yet Panikin...don't really wanna put vegetable oil in my shiny new car, but if it gets me to the liqour store it's better than gettin kicked off the bus.

Im sure they'll have a patch next week they got a lot of talent there at Raven, they are just busy gettin loaded at home right now. But I don't think they've ever made a crappy game.

Plus it's Star Wars, big George wouldn't let anything taint his universe. He takes his baby seriously, he just hired another homeless guy to help his kids finish the script for Episode 3, and I heard the crayon on Vanilla Ice's contract is already dry! Wooot!

Hey, panikinanakin ---

You asked,

"This was posted in another thread, can someone verify if it works... I'm not at my home computer at this time

I tried the following to try and fix my problem ---

-----------------------------------------------------------

"I found this solution on a noticeboard somewhere, so I must give credit to the guy who originally found this (Can remember his name though . Anyway.

My system kept locking up every 10mins, it would get stuck in a sound loop and crash. This could be avoided by turning off GL extension, but the game ran like an three legged dog.

My Specs:

1.8ghz Athlon

Abit KR7A

SB Audigy

Geforce TI200 (Latest NVidia Drivers)

XP

SOLUTION For XP:

1. Go to Program Files\Jedi Knight\Game Data\

2. Copy the file OpenAL32.dll (Sound card libraries)

3. Paste the file into C:\windows\system32\

This will replace the Old XP libraries with the new ones.

I have gone from freezing every 5 mins, to no freezing what so ever!

Cheerz

Ubamonkey"

I'll try this later to see if it works, but if someone in the meantime wants to try, please post results.

-----------------------------------------------------

RESULTS? Worked great for a while (a couple hours, actually).

I actually got to enjoy the game for a while...

:D

But, then....bam, started all over again. Now I can't play for more than 5 minutes or so and it's really pissin' me off now... :mad:

I hope we get a fix soon. I'm itchin' to play...

Sorry I had to be the bearer of bad news, bro.

Nah no sarcasm just keeping this thread bumped in hopes that someday this $50 little box will give me back as many hours as I've put into it. Just saying *bump* and telling each other we all have the same problem works too though I guess, whatever makes the thread longer =)

I just want an official comment on it, maybe a clue as to what the real source of the problem is, and maybe a patch ETA would be great. I know Raven cares about what they make that's probably why they got the job because every SW game since Jedi Knight was thrown out for cash like the t-shirts and action figures, they needed quality this time.

But I'd never kid around about the movies, oh no...as riveting and brilliant as Episode 1 was, you'd be crazy to mock such a genius. But really I think it was a big mistake pulling N'Sync out of Episode 2....I almost don't want to see it 17 times now....

BBBUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMPPPPPPPPP!!!!

lol i think i have the worst system of all of you guys and i have absoultly no freezes last time i updated drive was months ago.

My System:

p3 450

TnT2 8mb

128 sdram pc100

sb live

4mb/2mb cable modem

OMFG. I disabled the GL Extentions (much to my chagrin, it ran like a faulty Chinese rocket) and managed to get the game running without any freezes for over an hour and 30 minutes. Boy was I happy.

All I had to do was to press the escape key (I wanted to take a break) and the game decided to freeze on me. I didn't get the loopy sound though. The music was playing and then it just stopped. The only thing I could hear was the ambient sounds and I had to force reboot (ctrl-alt-del didn't work).

So I figured it must have been some memory-related bug, because I was loading and saving every 3 minutes.

Of course, I tried to play the game again and guess what, it froze right after 2 minutes. WTF?

Originally posted by jdifonzo

I had terrible system crashes with this game under WinXP. System specs:

(Compaq 7110US upgraded with Visiontek GF3)

Athlon 1333

256MB DDR (PC2100)

VisionTek GF3

Creative SB PCI, 10/100 Ethernet, 56k modem

XP Home Edition

Detonator 21.83 drivers (which to this point had been flawless)

This game crashed so bad, WinXP refused to boot!

Updated the drivers to 28.32 and all is well.

Hope these drivers don't cause any of my other games to crash!

In my experience, those drivers are awful. They disable AGP Texturing and make your card run reaaaaaal slow. Just use 23.11.

Originally posted by panikinanakin

The problem that most are having with freezing may be with the Quake III engine trying to deal with nvidia's latest drivers.

That's very doubtful. Return to Castle Wolfenstein and MOHAA, two games which also use the Q3 engine never freeze up for me no matter what drivers I use.

I did have a freezing problem with MOHAA but that was to do with my AGP drivers. But I've sinced fixed that and JK2 still freezes up often.

Allow me to repost the specs of the computer Jedi Outcast will not run on:

Athlon 1 gHz

256 SDRAM

Visontek GeForce 3

Soundblaster Live! Value

Windows 98 Second Edition

(tried five driver sets including 23.11 and 28.32)

DirectX 8.0 and 8.1

I tried JO on another computer...

Athlon 1.1 gHz

256 SDRAM

GeForce 2 MX

Soundblaster Live! Value

Windows 98 Second Edition

Detonator 28.32

DirectX 8.0

... and it works on the second computer! Any explanation?

The game is constantly freezing on me and it drives me nuts. Both single and multiplayer

Athlon XP 1.6 Ghz

64 Mb NVidia GeForce 2 MX with the drivers that Kenn Hoekstra said to get

256 Mb RAM

61 Gb harddrive

Windows 98 SE

DirectX 8.1

Now there's no reason this game shoud be crashing with my specs :mad:

I'm having the exact same problem. Screen goes black most of the time (which makes me think video prob of some kind) and it loops a very short clip of sound.. very loud and usually scares the beejeezus outta me. I have the latest 4n1 drivers from VIA.. tried all sorts of drivers for my Radeon 8500..

Athlon 700

384M Ram

SD11 MoBo

Radeon 8500 Retail

also crashes like this in RTCW full and MOHAA demo

HELLLLPP

This is the first game I've bought in a long time, and I can't

believe all these problems.

I have updated/messed with all my drivers, tweaked all the gfx

options, reinstalled the game all to no avail.

My rig

Athlon 650

192MB SDRAM

Hercules Prophet DVI/DDR

SB Live Value

Windows ME

DirectX 8.1

Various Video drvs(including the recommended 23.11)

When I first got the game I managed to get to level 3 with only a

handfull of seemingly random errors, but since then I've had error

msgs, crashes to desktop, hard freezes in menus, sp, and mp.

I know Raven/LA might want to have a solution(patch) ready

before addressing this, but they could at least acknowledge the problem.

My first post , and i'm getting JK2 latter today , i see lost of people have problems and i hope to god i don't have problems!!

Anyway , the infinite loop thing also occured to me , Half-Life had the problem..i needed to get the latest drivers and , people , detonators might cause chrashes , i installed the normal drivers , not the detonators , i heard tons of people have stability probs with the detonators with CERTAIN games , not all and the minority of the games...

Just try it , it might be Detonators , i see lots of people haveing chrashes with the detonators..try it , it might work :) i hope it does , i'll tell you guys tonight if my JK2 chrashes , i hope to god it does NOT and that DETONATORS are the problem , so i helped people , its a hobby of mine ;)

Ive been watching this thread, because i've been having the same problem. People with better computers are having the same freezing as me. I've tried everything that i've read here, but nothing still works, if anything, it made it worse. I cant even get past the MP start up screen w/out it freezing. Its my feeling that this is just something that wont be fixed w/out an update or a patch, so lets just keep our fingers crossed....

I too am having the game freeze on me but only in Multiplayer

I have no problem in single player.

I had originally installed from a burnt copy a friend brought over

and it ran fine in sp but I got the CL_ParsePacketEntities-Error

I could not get this fixed so I went out and bought the game:D

I uninstalled the game and reinstalled with my bought copy

I was able to play mp for about and hour it rocks but after

that it started the freeze with sound loop and I have to reboot

my system.

I have tried everything mentioned in this thread except shutting off the gl extentions (I will try that when I get home from work)

I did reset the hunkmegs last night and it seemed better but didn't have long to test it (had company) I was able to play a full round with out a crash

my syatem specs are:

AMD 500 mhz (origial Athlon)

384 mg ram

nvidia tnt2 32mg

sound blaster live value

30gig 7200 rpm WD hd

running win2k pro

I don't know why I have no problem with single player but am with Multiplayer.

Has any one heard about and eta on a patch?

I've played the SinglePlayer for about 2 hours and a half and i'm at level 3 , it did not chrash yet , sweeeeet! :D

My Detonator thing might just be correct , these are some of my specs : - AMD Athlon "Thunderbird" 1.2Ghz

- 512 Mb RAM

- Win XP

- Geforce 2 GTS/Pro 64 Mb : Latest drivers , no detonators.

- I ain't got no SoundBlaster , dunno what exactly :p

So..Soundblaster or the detonators might be the problems.

PS : This games roxorz my boxorz , even the first couple of levels!! :cool:

just want to add my voice to the chorus so that raven and lucasarts will maybe realize this is a big problem for LOTS of people and they'd better fix it. and why isn't this post sticky yet? it has almost 100 replies.

i was experiencing crashes with sound looping about every 5 minutes. i figured the problem might be related to my soundblaster so i turned hardware sound acceleration down to 'basic acceleration' like someone in this forum suggested. now the game no longer crashes, but it doesn't sound nearly as good as it should.

we need a patch!

my system specs:

athlon 1.2ghz

512 MB PC2100 RAM

radeon 8500 w/6052 drivers

soundblaster live 5.1

winxp pro

Archived