Home

Attention All Those With Nvidia Cards!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hi all

just a quick message (if it helps any one GG), and if the admin can advise me on anything all the better :p

i have a p2 350

geforce 2 tit 64 megs

198 meg

win 98

games i play :

CS

TFC

MAX PAYNE

MOH

and now JEDI KNIGHT 2

and JK2 seemd to run fine (except the odd slow down, due to my slow processor i think)

i current use the DETONATOR driver 21.81 (its quite old)

and have found no problems at all...

i tried the newer drivers sometime ago (mainly designed i think for win2000 and xp) and found they made my system less stable

so i went back to 28.81, and have found no problems at all with the above games! touch wood!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm running a geforce 4 ti 4600, athlon xp2100, 512 megs of ram machine yet at times with all the settings on the highest i will only get a frame rate of like 25 in a game with about 20 people and a huge map like ns streets ctf.

Should my machine be getting better or should I stop complaining and be happy with what I get?

you really should download the recommended drivers.

to anyone who doesn't have the game working: try running the game at multiple resolutions, turning on and off features. sometimes it just ends up that you are using a feature that your video card does not support.

3D Accelerator Card Required

A 100% OpenGL compatible 3D Accelerator is required. Supported chipsets at time of release.

ATI Radeon

ATI Radeon 7500/8500

ATI Rage 128

ATI Rage 128 Pro

Matrox G400

Matrox G450

Matrox G550

NVIDIA GeForce 256 family

NVIDIA GeForce 2 family

NVIDIA GeForce 3 family

NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 family

PowerVR Kyro

PowerVR Kyro II

if your card is not on this list, contact the manufacturer/look up the manual to see if your card is DX8.x compliant. if it isn't, get a new card. you can pick up a GF3ti200 for around $150, and a GF2ti for around $100. for those who are truly on a small budget, a GF2mx400 64mb is only $40-$50 right now.

if your card is on the list/is DX8.x compliant, make sure you have the latest/recommended drivers.

if you are running Windows 9x, or Windows ME(yes, i know. but some people really don't know the difference), i have great sympathy for you. Get Windows XP, get Windows 2000(NOT Windows ME[Millenium Edition]). Get something else. If you absolutely cannot, find a tutorial on how to reformat your harddrive. make sure you back all your stuff up.

you see, up until four months ago, i couldn't play any Q3-based games, as I had a Diamond Viper 2-Z200 32mb. it is only DX7 compliant, not DX8. I could not play any recent games. up until 2 months ago, i could not play ANY DX7-or later games, nor reinstall any of them. It was a corrupted Win98se installation. Then I found NTFS. Beautiful.

my systems:

win xp pro

athlon slot a 750mhz

asus k7v mobo

640mb pc133 ram

geforce 2 mx400 64mb

30gb 7200rpm

fried floppy drive(damn soyo)

8x4x32 cd-rw drive

win xp pro

athlonxp 1800+

abit k7ra-133 mobo

512 pc2100 ddr ram

geforce3ti200 (overclocked to gf3 speeds) 128mb ddr

60gb 7200rpm

no floppy drive(damn soyo)

56x cdrom(soon to be dvd+rw)

JK2 works perfectly on each. nice framerates, ok res, no glitches, no crashes. i have the most recent Nvidia drivers.

jh

Awhile back I upgraded to 28.32 and noticed that it broke a lot of games, so I went on a search for the perfect driver. I found 15.70. Here's the low-down on problems I encounted with the official non-beta releases from nVidia:

12.41: This release has OpenGL issues.

15.70: This is the release I found to work correctly in all games I tried, and is definitely the most stable and compatible release from nVidia.

21.83: This release has problems with mouse lag in games, and it also causes a hang on restart/shutdown (at least in Win2K/XP).

23.11: This release is terrible! Windows 2K/XP crash uncontrollably from issues caused by these drivers.

27.xx, 28.xx: These releases are definitely meant for performance. I got the highest benchmark scores in 3DMark 2001 SE by far. Unfortunately, they also break pretty much all games in some way.

-In Phantasy Star Online (Japanese PC Import), there are problems with the screen refresh, like graphics tearing and a wave-like affect. This is even with vsync enabled.

-In Unreal Tournament, the framerate is super choppy even though it reports it's drawing at over 100fps. If you try and change the resolution or color depth using these drivers, your entire computer will either freeze, or crash.

-In Quake III Arena, it suffers from the same problems as Jedi Knight II.

Originally posted by Emon

Sounds like a software problem to me. That brightness I get when sometimes JO locks up when trying to connect to slow crappy servers (seems to be fixed in the new binaries), just run the game again, exit and it fixes it.

As for your other crashing or locking problems, it's probably Win 98SE. Win 98SE is a peice of crap. I would suggest Windows 2000 Professional. After downloading the Win 2K updates (service pack 2, etc) it's far faster than XP, more stable, more secure, and runs more programs (more compatible). If you can't afford that, Win XP Home is a good bet. It's about $100.

Before you buy a new OS, do more troubleshooting. That's just a hunch of mine, since I know Win 98SE/ME really sucks and often has many problems.

I am fairly new to the forums, however I have been frequenting the main JK2.net page sinece I got the game right after it came out.

On the subject of video cards and this game. I was an AVID 3dfx user, I had a Voodoo 5 AGP in my machine when I got this game. I had very similar problems to the person with the Voodoo 3 AGP earlier. The game would run, but it would lock on the weirdest things.

There has been a documented problem with Nvidia chipsets and Athlon XP processors, the latest drivers to a little to fix this problem, but not all of it. I personally had to go replace my video card, because I wasn't going to take that fine piece of programming back to the store.(jk2) I got an ATI radeon and it has functioned fine for me.

I have seen the brightness issue also, all you need to do is go to your display properties and go to the advanced section, and click on the color tab, and that will fix it without any hopping around with the game.

As for WIN98SE, it is not as stable as WIN2K, however it in no way should be compared to ME, because ME was a bad try and genetically splicing WIN2K's Kernal, andf Win98SE's Kernal together, and as is perfectly obvious, failed. I have JK2 on a Win98SE box, with an Nvidia Riva TNT2, and it works just fine. It might simply be that you need to rebuild your machine, not replace the OS.

Maybe you haven't noticed, but there are no longer official drivers being written for the 3dfx cards. There's no official support in Windows XP so far as I know. If Microsoft doesn't support them anymore, how can you expect anyone else to?

Originally posted by [-nix-] Goober

Could this possiable be the reason why im having a cl_parsepacketentities error?

And if not...what could that error be?

Thx Goober

I am having the same problem with the

CL_ParsePacketEntities Error.... this also seems to be a problem with other games using the same engine..... such as the newly released SOF2 demo!!!!

anyone know a solution????????????

Unacceptable!

JK2 ran fine on my GF3Ti200 AND GF4Ti4400 with the official 28.32 drivers, but the moment I installed the 1.03 patch, it all went to hell.

Nvidia has had a solid reputation for quality drivers and seeing as Quake 3 has been out for 2-1/2 YEARS and runs fine, it makes you wonder what Raven did to destablize Carmack's code.

(Carmack, while commenting on ATI vs. Nvidia drivers, said something like, "...when I run into problems on Nvidia cards, I assume it's an error in my code; if there's a problem on an ATI card, I figure it's a driver bug.")

Originally posted by Demolisher

GL Hexen II and Heretic II, are just too dark and I can't raise the gamma or brightness any higher. On top of that, non-quake-based games like Unreal Tournament and Diablo II won't even start at all for me.

The brightness issue probably is a monitor issue, not a videocard issue.

And all the other games your running, UT and all that, are you running at high res? Try 800x600 @ 16 bit and see what happens.

Kenn,

While switching to the Nvidia 23.11 driver seems to be an answer to graphics glitches that people are experiencing, I had 100% perfect operation with everything maxed out, until I loaded the 1.03 patch... Now, only the girl at the beginning of the game looks completely wierd graphically. All other characters and graphics are fine as before!! My system specs are pretty high end... P4 2.0aGhz, 1024M DDR Crucial RAM, GeForce 4 Ti 4600 video, SB Audigy sound, ASUS P4B266 MB. Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, I have windows 98se and Gforce 2 I played JO2 for 4 nights running with no problem but then it just wouldn't load,kept coming up with a fault (OPEN GL) which after visiting many forums seemed to be a common problem so now I have gone back to the Nvidia 23.11 version and it is working again!

Just live the simple fact of life:

If it aint broke, don't fix it.

The sky works for my GeForce 2, so I'm not gonna fix it. If the drivers work, I won't update them. If Windows won't crash on me(which is rare) I won't look to update it.

After getting new video card Winfast A170 64mb DDR everything waz fine with directX 8.0A that comes with Jedi Outcast!!!

UNTIL I FOOLISHLY INSTALLED DIRECTX 8.1, bloody MICROSOFT! Suddenly Outcast would not run, it would crash (lock up) my system everytime I tried to play!!!! Noooooooooooooooooo!

To fix this I:

1) removed video drivers.

2) reinstalled DirectX 8.1 ( tried going back to 8.01A but microsoft win98 wouldn't let me!!!).

3) reinstalled video drivers again!

4) installed latest driver update from Nvidia Version: 28.32

5) re installed JK2: jedi outcastX, nb: it still wouldn't play!

6) installed update for outcast!

Now I have no Idea why Ravensofts update for Outcast finally fixed the problem but it did, mostly. I still get occasional color problems when exiting Outcasst, however Display Properties control panel fixes these quick smart. AND THE GAME NOW RUNS BETTER THAN EVER ON MY P3 550Mhz WITH 512 MB RAM.

So I have no problems hope this is of some use to People out there. Also the sky/planets are all there out the views YAYYYYY!

After getting new video card Winfast A170 64mb DDR everything waz fine with directX 8.0A that comes with Jedi Outcast!!!

UNTIL I FOOLISHLY INSTALLED DIRECTX 8.1, bloody MICROSOFT! Suddenly Outcast would not run, it would crash (lock up) my system everytime I tried to play!!!! Noooooooooooooooooo!

To fix this I:

1) removed video drivers.

2) reinstalled DirectX 8.1 ( tried going back to 8.01A but microsoft win98 wouldn't let me!!!).

3) reinstalled video drivers again!

4) installed latest driver update from Nvidia Version: 28.32

5) re installed JK2: jedi outcastX, nb: it still wouldn't play!

6) installed update for outcast!

Now I have no Idea why Ravensofts update for Outcast finally fixed the problem but it did, mostly. I still get occasional color problems when exiting Outcasst, however Display Properties control panel fixes these quick smart. AND THE GAME NOW RUNS BETTER THAN EVER ON MY P3 550Mhz WITH 512 MB RAM.

So I have no problems hope this is of some use to People out there. Also the sky/planets are all there out the views YAYYYYY!:maul: :maul:

Originally posted by Bumblebee

I can not even install my Jedi II correct each time i try ( i guess)

if it seems to be installed correctly i meet one of the following situations - after starting the single player (normal or save mode)

- the entire computer freezes - cold reboot needed

or

- the computer reboot's by its own

or

- error-message about the .exe then back to the desktop where the resolution has been changed to 640x480/16 bit and a (very) much to high brightness

the driver-change to 23.11 did not helped me, i am more or less :mad: , at least :confused:

the stats

athlon xp2000+

asus a7v266e with newest 4in1 and all that stuff

512 MB DDR-Ram

soundblaster life 5.1

ASUS GeF3 V8200 DeLuxe

WIN 98Se

anyone with a brilliant idea??

i would very wellcome some usefull input - thanks

Bumble

Did you custom build your PC? Reason why I'm asking because I custom built my PC and was having problems dealing with the PC freezing and having to do a cold reboot and also sometimes the PC would restart by itself usually when I attempted to open a game. I found out that my problem was heat. My processor was getting as hot as 150 degrees. Very Bad but lucky that I didnt damage the processor. The Heatsink fan I was using wasnt good enough for my processor and had to buy a new one. Once I installed the new fan, the temp stays steady at about 100 degrees and no problems have occured.

• 3 weeks later...

Dude, the newest drivers work fine with JK2. Besides, those old drivers suck. Wanna know why? They prevent non-Quake based games from running. Diablo II and Unreal Tournament would not run for me until I got the very latest drivers, which also make this game run as good as it did with the 23.11s

I wish Lucasarts and Raven would come check the Game Feedback and Tech Support forums instead of ditching us :mad:

Archived