Home

Mini Review/Initials Thoughts/Likes/Dislikes

Painreliever

Well here is my list of complaints and likes so far.

I haven't actually made it to the lightsaber part in single player because I wanted to get a feel for botplay and multiplayer so here we go...

1. Maybe its just me but it seems like there is a steep learning curve to becoming a proficient lightsaber user. I was really expecting less frantic moving in all directions and more calculation on what swing you want to make. But something I was hoping for was to be able to perry(spelling) the blows by being visually clued as to whats coming. At some point in time you could see the subtleties of each swing and if your reaction time was fast enough block with the appropriate block or counter attack before his blow can land. I don't how many of you hav played Rune before but this feels a lot like Rune when it comes to lightsabers. A lot of circling and trying to land a blow at the edge of the swing.

2. I have a really hard time knowing if I have hit someone with the lightsaber. I think there are like little gray puffs of smoke or somethign but they are really hard to see in all the action. I can catch when the lightsaber hits a shield, but I don't know how I am going to get better using a lightsaber if a can't tell what is effective I will never know to correct my game play.

3. I think I also have some problems with the force powers. Don't get me wrong they are cool. I especially find it hilarious to force push people jumping off cliff edges, or when someone catches me with grip and drags to the edge and lets go. It seems though that when I made a pretty decent attempt to use various force powers I just can't find a configuration that seems to work. I initially tried mouse1, mouse 2 primary/secondary fire, mouse wheel switching weapons, with F as my force button, but then I kept activating some force power that I didn't want to use because I had no easy way to switch them. Tryingto press function keys and then bring my fingers back down to WASD killed me too many times to count. I would be pressing the wrong keys trying to move and could do nothing about it until I was dead. I also activate the messages buttons T and Y over and over. Finally had to move them and make E, R, and F my 3 favorite force powers or at the ones I want to play with most.

4. I think it is also pretty hard to tell what stance you are currently using. It isn't very noticeable to look and see the curve has changed color or what color it actually stands for, maybe I'll get used to that but at this point it is one more key I can't find a place for.

5. This basically sums up all the rest...I bought this game so I could have fun being a jedi knight, make a mod for it so I can be a sithlord, and right now I can honestly say only about 5% of my total kills came from the saber. I was fairly consistent top 3 on the server I played on, even though half the time I was enojying the pleasure of pushing people to the their deaths and laughing when it finally happened to me. I want to be a stud with the saber...I want the saber to be fun. I can see that there are some people on the servers that are half way decent at the saber, they sure owned me 90% of the time I drew mine out. I am not saying everything that is wrong is the game's fault...I am still gonna try to get better at it. Once I can find a keyboard layout that works for me I will be slicing witht he best of them.

So now onto the things I like.

1. While I was never too keen on the screenshots I saw as I was hoping for more detail throughout. I can't say it is actually detracting from the game. In single player I may notice some repetative use of textures and stuff, but I don't mind it in Multiplayer as much and really don't even notice it there. On the whole I am pretty pleased with the graphics, even though I can't run it with high res textures because my geforce3 and 256 MB DDR can't handle it.

2. Force powers: Initially when I started to play a bot match I was like what? They didn't seem particularly cool. But now that I have played multiplayer I gotta say that Force powers are probably my favorite thing in the game. Even though when I force push somebody off their feet and run of to start hacking away at them it seems I never land a blow...it is too much fun sending people off a cliff. I could do it all day...and I just about did do it all night. THe Force powers actually make using the saber easier. And using a force push and the a saber attack or force speed or whatever, you will find the force powers will definitely enhance what you can do with the saber and keep you from running circles around your neighbor. More than once did I see several people running around in circles chasing each other with sabers, oblivious that they could be choking them or zapping them.

3. The AI(heck I'll just call this the Single Player experience): I have read several people's post saying they didn't like the single player. I don't know why. It definitely has some of the best bot AI I ahve seen. I have never seen bots so consistently run for cover, fall back and regroup and press the attack when their leader is araound. And the settings are great, the models are very good, the voice acting isn't like Obi-wan for the x-box, The scripted events I have seen so far are perfect...They did exactly what they were supposed to do. Severall times I fell off those pipes in like the second level after getting to jumpy moving around instead of just letting them fall, and so I did too.

4. The booklet that came with the game says we can mod it. This has got to be a first for a Star Wars game. We actually have permission to make add ons...provided we don't mind if they profit off our hard work. Although I am curious to see if they actually let us make Star Wars mods for the game, since that still might infringe on their copyrights.

5. And finally the game is fun. I don't buy games to play online. In fact I hate playing games online because I don't want to put up with lame people who feel the need to cheat and ruin the fun that other people would like have. Today I played online for over 5 hours and didn't see any cheating...will it eventually come, yes probably, will I stop playing, yes most likely. Does anyone care? Probably not the people who are gonna cheat. I really wasn't planning on being up at 6:00AM after beginning to play at 5:00 PM. Let that say something about this game. It may not be exactly what you were looking for(few games ever are) and it may take a while to get used to in order to get the most out of it. but I think the fun factor will make the it worth putting up with initially. I think when all is said and one you will have a game that you will be coming back to play for a long time.

Thats my take...and I am sticking to it, at least until I wake up in 8 hours and go at it some more.

Painreliever

I really agree with you on your positive notes about this game. There is just something almost indescribable about JK 2 that makes it, well....addicting. Now if Raven would release a bonus map and model pack like they did for Elite Force, and include some non singleplayer models (A Boba Fett type of character, I forget what his armor is called, it could be named that.) Amoung others, I would really feel this game would then be way, way over the top, more so then it already is, if thats possible. This is a triple A title in my book. Ever since JK 1's launch in 1997 I hoped for a worthy successor, and I believe JK 2 does not disappoint.

Painreliever,

Very nice posting, it seems very well thought out, and you expressed your likes and dislikes very well. I have to say, after reading your post, I find myself agreeing with a lot of your points. I love the game, and I think that with future involvement from the MOD community, this game could have a VERY long life and really grow into something very special and leave it's mark in PC gaming history. Just look at what the MOD community did for other games like Half Life...darned it, those games are STILL being played today!

Thanks I was trying to make my comments speak to my likes and dislikes because some people have said the game isn't as good as it is cracked up to be and then accuse people of not responding with why it is any good. I was shooting for a balance of what I think could be improved and what I already like.

Anybody else have any thoughts on the above?

I have found that simplicity when picking your force powers, is the key for control. I keep weapon, defend, and sabre throw maxed. I also max jump, push, and force drain. Now force drain and force push are the only ones I need extra keys for. Although I usually just cycle on my mouse, it's easy when you only have 2 powers. I'm a sabre fanatic, I usually drain em so they can't heal or throw offensive stuff at me and then fight em toe to toe.

You can tell by my number of posts that I'm a newbie to this board, but I find it necessary to say SOMETHING, being that the Jedi Knight of 1997 was my favorite game of all time. No, I haven't bought the game yet; that's why I'm posting here. So far I've heard that the game is good but not without its faults, and I just want to get the jist of what you guys are saying. Am I right in saying that this is a game worth buying for $50? Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2 and Mysteries of the Sith consumed much of my pre-teen life, and I'm just jittery about buying the sequel, mostly because I'm wondering at what I'm expecting. I'm not expecting JK2 to be as groundbreaking as the first; after all, they took out the single player choice of force powers and sides of the force. But I am expecting a worthy successor, and that's what I'm asking you: Is this game a true successor to the first Jedi Knight?

I can only hope so

:jawa

I would say it is worth it. It has its shotcomings in areas. But some of that can be overcome with patience. And who knows maybe in a patch they will change some things to make it a bit easier to pick up. I would say this game is only going to get better with mods, new maps and people getting used to how to play. It is the first Star Wars game that I have bought in long time that was worth the price.

Archived