Home

Patch Thread

Vagabond

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Knowing that you can't just dash out of range of a swing will force people to desist from the Diablo-esque clickathon that is online sabre battles. Instead people can chose to try and block and counter, picking their moment."

If people just slash-slash-slash, push them to the ground.

"It will also encourage the use of force powers as an adjunct to sabre-play, ie using push to disengage from a duel or pull to stop someone making an escape."

Lots of people do this already =P I use push a lot when fighting others with my saber. They need to tweak pull a bit because currently if you pull someone close, you become vulnerable, while they just get closer. So basically using pull is dangerous.

Just another comment about SP sabers vs. MP sabers. In single player the animations are much much better for saber combat. Use a singleplayer saber and do the medium stance forward chop, then do it in MP. Notice how the single player one cuts right down the center where in MP it slashes(onehanded) on the right side? It almost seems like raven forgot to update the MP version with the latest anims and code before they went gold... oh well hopefully it will be fixed.

I have some more issues/enhancements:

Guns:

Guns should be superior at long ranges and medium ranges, however when an enemy gets close enough that i can smell their breath a light saber should be superior. There is three major problems with guns...

1) Because the back up speed is the same as the move forward speed, a gun user can just keep backing away from a lightsaber user without ever being caught.

2) force pull doesn't work very reliably. (I like how jediknight 1 handled it much better. Pulls were easy to pull off so gun users had to stay out of ranger).

3) Force speed takes way to much force. It not only saps half your total, but while it is on you don't regenerate any force, therefore making it a dangerous and mostly useless force power. So using it to catch gun users is dangerous at best.

Also, for anyone who says, "Don't play on a guns server then." That makes the game pretty limiting doesn't it? Generally because the ONLY unique aspect of JK2 is the ligthsaber/force, it is pretty stupid that guns completely overshadow both in MP. In my opinion, gun users should not be the only ones winning MP battles, it should be equal.

P.S. (I won't shut up will I? =P) Drain is over powered, I use it and it is very very powerful. I can heal from 1-100 hp in seconds given a few other people and using minimal force. There is no counter to drain, it is also the only counter to heal. Heal is over powered, because in duels you can constantly run away and heal. Ligtning is not over powered, but because of its range you can keep away from someone using a lightsaber very easily, thus making it a very annoying power in duels.

To introduce my suggestion, allow me to explain my plight. I play games on my personal computer here, and on my brother's computer on the weekends. We both use different keyboard schemes, so having an option to save different bind setups would be nice, so I don't have to swap .cfg files all the time (especially when we switch off between deaths on while connected to a MP server).

Also, I like to switch between Light and Dark side powers between deaths. I prefer to have my three main Force powers (eg, Grip, Lightning, Drain) bound to nearby keys but these binds are useless when I'm using the opposite side of the Force. So, here goes.

Enhancement:

1. You can save Force power settings to files (eg, Blademaster), how about we can do the same for the keyboard binds as well?

2. Let us bind Light force powers to the same keys are Dark force powers, since we all know no one is gonna be using them all at once.

Enhancements:

Just something that bothers me -

When u get shot or hit by a saber, there is no real indication you have taken damage. In JK 1 the screen went really green and there was a loud 'clashing' nose whenever you lost some sheild energy - now there is only a sound when you take health damage.

This is a tad anying, as sometimes ive thought ive come through a battle ok, but ive lost nearly or all of my sheilds.

Something petty but could be easily fixed in a patch couldnt it?

Also, the music isnt really right for some of the levels - Artus topside (when you fight the 3 AT-ST's) for example, there is the sneaking sorta music when a full on invasion is happeneing - the music from the first level of MOTS wouldve fit it better.

Originally posted by CyrusWolf

Enhancements

Please, Please, PLEASE enable 1st person perspective w/the lightsabre in multiplayer. This option appears to be missing. [/b]

Yes!!! PLEASE enable first person lightsaber view in MP! That's my only gripe about JKII - how a person duels best is up to them, so let us choose! I'd trade off the aerobatics in a hot second for the accuracy that comes with a first-person viewpoint.

i agree.

There should be an easier way to indicate if you have hit your opponent. heres some ideas

1. A Tribes-ish Life/Energy bar above the persons head when you look at them.

2. Some kinda of indicator, like if you connect it lights up.

3. Burn marks on the person, similar to the Walls.

ENHANCEMENT:

Work on the netcode a bit and make it so 56k modem users stand a decent chance of finding a decent game once in awhile. As it is now, most games are unplayable for the vast majority of 56k users. At least try and help us out.

My logitech iFeel mouse's third (middle) button doesn't work. I know Black & White and Tribes 2 got it to work, so I know it's possible. That, and the actual wheel doesn't work either.

Thats a "feature" in logitecs craptacular drivers. I asked tech support on this and they said that first you have to bind that button to shift or control, and then set the function in the game to one of those keys. I then noticed that binding to those keys causes the buttons to "stick" that is that pressing a button bound to shift will do the equivilent of holding shift until you tap the button again. I went back to tech support asking about this and they said "there is no way to keep the buttons from "sticking" ".

You heard it here, Logitec designed their windows drivers so that you couldnt bind keys in games.

Of course their mac drivers are some of the best Ive ever used... :rolleyes:

bug: after i set Jan free, i killed the security guard with force grip to try to get Jan to see how much of a man i was, she really didn't take notice. she said "oh great! we need two people to man the doors" at that time she started shaking violently and she opened the one door for me, so i continued to follow her orders and press the button to let her through when all of a sudden nothing happen to i released the button the door closed so i pressed the button and turned around again and she was still shaking violently... i tried force speed, but it didn't work so i kept on gripping her and eventually she died, so i started all over and i never had the same problem again.

enhancment: i don't know how hard this would be but i would love it if you could press all door/elevator switches with force push or force pull it just seems cooler to open doors with the force.

if you guys have an expansion pack for this game... please don't make it so you play have of it as awsome Kyle and the other half as some girl. When and how does kyle die? and do him and Jan ever have kids? the next expansion should be about Kyles kid

Originally posted by SplittingPixels

Yes!!! PLEASE enable first person lightsaber view in MP! That's my only gripe about JKII - how a person duels best is up to them, so let us choose! I'd trade off the aerobatics in a hot second for the accuracy that comes with a first-person viewpoint.

Yeah! This is a big feature that is missing. If the problem is a different 3D model would be needed for each skin, than use always the same model! We don't care seeing always Kyle's arms if it's the only workaround to have this option. Even in JK1 it worked so and nobody ever complained.

Bug issues:

1. Missing chest shots on troopers at close range. Maybe it has to do with the auto-aiming, maybe not, but annoying none the less.

2. Speaking of auto-aiming, add a turn off option to the menu.

3. When dueling with the tribal-chick dark jedi on cloud city (forgot her name) after loosing a saber lock, Kyle remains in the "lost" pose after breaking free. I can run around and everything with him looking all bent out of shape.

Enhancements:

1. Being shot at by everyone in the room before the door even finishes opening. Along the line, super Rodian snipers are a little nuts.

2 Not being able to zoom and move with the laser, not a happy thing.

3. LIGHTsabers should make LIGHT. Nuff said.

BTW, GREAT game. Thanks for the time and effort you put into it. I was disappointed that it didn't have film cutscenes like the original though. PLEASE make a few expansions.

Redz

How about some Wookie action, is there any possibility of releasing alot more multiplayer models that draw from the original trilogy?

Oh, and how about getting me one of those Imperial Shuttles too, would look good in my garage - would need a storm trooper guard too. Deliver it when ever you are ready Raven!!

In regards to the speed comment made by someone, I'm not sure if the force cost should be reduced. I think it is just about right for CTF games, otherwise you'd find it nigh-on-impossible to catch those little thieves, of which I am one. :)

Originally posted by Soruss

In my opinion, gun users should not be the only ones winning MP battles, it should be equal.

I don't know about that. I think guns should easily overpower a hack n' slash sabre fighter, but in the hands of of a skilled user, the light sabre should come out on top. I enjoy the gun fights, and with the current MP sabre fighting system in place, they are the only thing keeping big battles fun.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to take force powers away from those who wield guns, i.e. you can only use them if you hold the light sabre. Which brings me to:

Bug:

In MP, force powers very rarely work in the 1st person view.

Timothydog...not 100%, but I'm pretty sure the quickload is already default bound to F9, isn't it?

Please please please please no "energy bar" or "indicator light" above enemies. In the world of SW, bad guys don't come equiped with health bars. And if I wanted to play "Masters of Terras Crappy", I'd buy a damn console.

Mantling would be very cool, and much less frustrating than missing an easy jump because you ALWAYS do a mighty force propelled vault.

It would be nice to be able to tell more easily when a hit was scored. As is, I hit someone, and the black smoke and sparks appear, and they grunt... and I wonder if I hit them for 50% health, or just knicked them as the saber came back into position. :-p

Guest EddyCurrents

In single player, the delete game "button" is too close to the load game "button". I have deleted save games by accident twice.

I'm playing on Master level, so the following comments may not apply to easier levels:

The game is murderously hard at first. It takes a lot of alt-fire bryar sniping and woefully inaccurate blaster rifle strafing. Rodian snipers can nail you running at full speed coming around corners while leaping like a madman. I like this part, it's a good challenge and the enemy AI is quite good. But the levels where you have to protect other people are nearly impossible. I took about 50 tries to save the stupid prisoners. That needs tweaking. But then the game gets much easier.

That's an odd thing... once you get saber you almost never use a gun, except for sniping and taking down mechanical beasties, because:

(a) leaping around and pulling weapons and pushing enemies down and throwing sabers works better than blazing away with the inaccurate weapons;

(b) you need the saber to protect you. Saber defense is almost perfect against a ton of enemies.

I guess this fits the Jedi theme, but sometimes I would like to mow down enemies with guns. Generally I run around with full ammo and no reason to use it.

Edit: the enemies now can pick up weapons and use them after you pull them, which is great. They don't do this often enough though. They still run around helplessly most of the time, like they did in JK.

For multiplayer:

In the server list, show which servers are passworded, by a symbol or different color or something.

Add a "deaths" total like in JK and all other FPS games I've played. I take pride in keeping a high kills/deaths ratio, but with JK2 there is no reason to do this. In JK, lightsiders generally had a lower kill total than darksiders but they died a lot less. In JK2, we might as well all be darksiders.

If you get tired of the endless saber swinging and want to be a gunner, you got a problem, because ammo is ridiculously limited in the default maps. This becomes an advantage to darksiders because they always have ammo for their weapons (force power). The best way to get more ammo is to die so you can pick up weapons again, which is no problem because: see previous point.

The force lightning seems too powerfull too. Purhaps we need to learn how to counter them. If needed I'm sure the force powers will be tweaked in a patch.

Originally posted by SaberPro

First, now days everybody uses the heavy stance and use the double jump hacking technique to play the game. (Heavy stance, jump+fire, jump again)

The attack is undefeatable, and you can't block. Even if after the player lands, the lightsaber poke can kill you.

I think Raven should patch out this technique in the next JK2 patch...

and make more taunts!!

No, I'm talking about the stats screen that pops up when you enter a new level that shows how many shots, accuracy, favorite weapon, number of leg shots, head shots, number of times each force power was used etc etc. The screen only stays up while the next level is loading which isn't long enough. I want it to stay there until I hit enter.

Originally posted by MechDeus

We wouldn't happen to be referring to the (default) TAB function, would we (just hold it down)? Or is there some other stat screen you're talking about?

Maybe what's in order for a better indicator of hit damage is an addition to the AI which would play one of two hit animations depending on amount of damage recieved...one for light, a kind of wince motion, and one for heavy, a stagger back or something like that. The coding seems to already be in place to respond to what kind of damage is recieved (pushes, explosions cause fall animations, etc.), might be a couple of hours tops to do some decent light and heavy hit animations for the basic skeleton, then a bit of additional coding to tell the AI to respond?

Enhancement

Don't hope for much, but it'd be good to know WHAT you can use. Randomly clicking on everything (even the manual says this is a way) is a bit old.

Its good to see a change in the crosshair when you can 'use' something. Not too sure how this fits into the Quake engine though.

I got this comfortable habit from AVP2.

:(

*ENHANCEMENTS*

We should be able to customize our servers:

1. Enable or disable each weapon indicvidually

2. Enable or disable each force power individually

- The lightning force is way too powerful. Damage should be very limited and drain much more power. Also if you are in the air when hit by lightning you should take no damage at all IMO... that would make it easier to escape too... (unless someone has just drained you :D)

- The heal is too powerful. I think it should be limited in MP so that you would always have to kneel when using that power.

- The drain force is annoying, but it's not really unbalanced. Perhaps tweak it a bit and it will be perfect.

I think the rest of the game is very balanced. I really like the way light saber combat has been done... very playable so it isn't just mindless slashing that does the trick every time.

Great game... well done Raven!

Archived