Home

Locks up within 10 seconds...

Guest tbrown0704

Guest tbrown0704

I just installed this game and I tried to play a single player tutorial and within 10 seconds, the game locked up my PC, forcing me to reboot. No matter what I seem to try, it locks up within 10 seconds every time. Here is what I have tried:

1. Changing to 16 bit color.

2. 800x600

3. reinstall

4. download and install directx 8.1

The demo ran fine on my PC and the only thing that I have done since that time was to install a Linksys router. This shouldn't affect anything, because I am not trying to play on the Zone. Here are my system specs:

120 MB RAM

AMD-K6(2) 500 Mhz

Trident Blade3D

Direct X 8.1 (now:) )

Any ideas?

Guest tbrown0704

OK, I found my problem...now I am wondering if anyone knows a solution. The problem is with the music. When the scenario starts, it is running fine. When the music starts up, my CD-Rom starts spinning and it locks up the game/PC. I believe that I remember this happening with AOK as well, but I have since turned off the sound in that game too. Any ideas on how I can play the game with the music without locking up the PC?

• 4 weeks later...

I'm also pretty sure it's the music now, cause I haven't heard much of it, and that explains it. I also noticed the cd spinning, I thought it was either a bus problem or a sound card problem. Do you also have SB Live? I wonder if cracking it would help, that way you run everything off the HD. It's illegal, but hell, I paid $50 for the game, and if Lucasarts ain't gonna help someone else will :)

Guest IdLe_WorkeR

The issue is either with the driver of the CD drive or the sound card/chip driver. Update the sound driver first, that is more likely.

Your CD drive does meet spec doesn't it? 4x speed?

I have an Atlon 1gz system, about a 10x cd (2x DVD actually, I think), and spin up still can take about 5 seconds on game launch.

Oh, yeah, what version of windows do you have?

My Windows version is 98SE. I have a 32X CDRW that I run it in now. It doesn't work to disable sound either anymore. I'm thinking it may be a chipset-soundcard-bus problem. there are no new drivers for SB Live Player 5.1 (or any other 5.1). In fact there's no downloadable drivers at all...

Guest IdLe_WorkeR

Get the lastest bios update for your motherboard. (I hope it's not an Abit board -- I hate them -- I nothing but trouble for months ...). I should have mentioned that first. Also, look at the URL below for the lastest VIA 4-in-1 drivers for your chipset .. if it is a VIA chipset. Soundblaster does not necessarily get along with the KT133A Via chipset. Now, I know you don't have that set because you can't run a K6-2 on it. BUt possibly you have the southbridge that has the conflict with Soundblaster, or perhaps earlier southbridges conflicted and basically, no one knew it...

Via Arena web site for the 4-in-1 driver updates for your chipset:

http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=1

Originally posted by IdLe_WorkeR

Get the lastest bios update for your motherboard. (I hope it's not an Abit board -- I hate them -- I nothing but trouble for months ...). I should have mentioned that first. Also, look at the URL below for the lastest VIA 4-in-1 drivers for your chipset .. if it is a VIA chipset. Soundblaster does not necessarily get along with the KT133A Via chipset. Now, I know you don't have that set because you can't run a K6-2 on it. BUt possibly you have the southbridge that has the conflict with Soundblaster, or perhaps earlier southbridges conflicted and basically, no one knew it...

Via Arena web site for the 4-in-1 driver updates for your chipset:

http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=1

Bah, disabling music doesn't work either. I do have the KT133A chipset. I've had a problem with devdlr16.exe crashing before, but I removed it from the registry. Now I've also disabled sound blaster 16 emulation, but that doesn't help either. I have just updated my BIOS and I have the new VIA. Nothing helps. I've tried everything :( I have a 1,4GHz Athlon btw, and ASUS A7V133 KT133A board... SB Live Player 5.1

for those of you whose music doesn't work

I have the solution! Go to START, Settings, Control Panel, Multimedia. The Audio tab should already be up. Look at playback and preferred device. Select (Use any available device). Also, click the CD Music tab and select the drive you play the CD in and check Enable digital CD audio for this CD-ROM device. That should clear up any problems with music! Tell me if this doesn't work though. But, it should

Gotta be pretty stupid if they don't have that enabled. I don't run the game off my audioconnected CDROM anyway, who cares about music, the problem is the lockups. You can just put on some mp3s with the soundtrack in the BG if you get the damn game to run :p

Archived