Home

Did anybody else hate this game at first?

cj7816

Well, I guess I didn't really hate it, but the first time I played JK2 the movement ticked me off. It just didn't feel right. It didn't feel like JK1 - It didn't feel like Quake3 - the whole game just felt wierd. And the way that the cursor led the camera in third person was totally anoying.

Well, the game started to grow on me and, needless to say, by the time I got my lightsabre I was in love. Jedi Outcast ROCKS!! The first time I saw a lightsabre battle (on Yavin4) I just stood there in awe for like 15 minutes watching the Paduwans. It was amazing! And then I got some force powers and my own lightsabre!!! Man, that thing is cool. I can't even tell you how long I stood in the Testing Grounds just playing around with that thing.

Right now I'm busy dealing with some minor performance issues. I can't wait to get back into the game!

I concur. I'd read alot about the annoying puzzles previous to buying the game and I was very skeptical to say the least. The first 3 levels or so didn't bother me at all, but over time the constant barrage of search for hidden duct, find switch, find door hunts and the timed jump sequences started to grate heavily on my nerves. Not to mention the inaccurate weapons and the AI's uncanny ability to strafe shots and hit you dead on when sticking your nose around the corner (snipers.) Once you get your saber and force powers it picks up a bit, but the first few levels after the Academy are still annoying. Then you arrive at Bespin and it's nothing but gravy from there on out.

I too didn't like the 'feel' of the game at first. The lightsaber system takes a good while to become adjusted too, but over time you start to perform moves under control and it doesn't seem like just hack 'n slash. First tier force powers aren't very exciting, but 2nd and 3rd are absolutely a blast to use. JK2 is alot more deep than I was willing to credit it at first, but in time you will notice alot of nuance that takes it to another level.

It's a shame Raven threw so many puzzles and timed jumps into the game and kept at it for so long. It's enough to drive alot of people away from even attempting it further. But if you give the game time and adjust to it's unique feel - you will appreciate it alot more. I believe the 2nd time through single player will be even better since you will know how to bypass the annoying parts quickly. JK2 is definitely a game that requires patience and persistance to be truly appreciated.

I am surprised that more and more people are having trouble with the puzzles. To me they are not that hard and add something to the game. I am glad it is like this. Rtcw for example was easy and repetative and for the asking price of $60 it was not worth it.(to me mp is the only reason to buy it) With the puzzles it gives it the added difficulty and breaks up the monoteny of just going from room to room killing stuff. Oh well a game cant please 100% of the people who play it.

One of the coolest things that I've seen is in the final Yavin levels. Since it was raining, I constantly had little drops of rain sparking and turning to steam as they hit my saber. The effect when your saber blade touches the water is pretty cool too. And, the two best features on the Yavin levels:

1. Sabers turn off if their handle touches the water, so I was able to simply shoot the hell out of two of the Shadowtroopers, since their sabers wouldn't work underwater :D

2. Two words: Scout Walker! :D

The only thing I really hated was how I'd get stuck somewhere for an hour or so. Only to find out that had I been in first person mode and not using my lightsaber I would have seen where I needed to go in a snap. It's just annoying that you can't see certain things when you're in thirdperson. As well I was also going to mention the rain on the saber... IMO I think thats one of the coolest effects in the whole game.

Well, I have to admit that I was a little disappointed in the beginning. I immediately started to play online, and I just couldn't get used to it. But after a while you get the hang of it, and then it is just pure fun. I just think that many people inhere should play it a little longer before starting to shout at Raven. I really like to see it online, now keep on playing it a little more, and I can assure you, you'll love it :)

I never hated the game from the beggining. I had no trouble jumpin in and playing. The only gripe I have is that the puzzles are too dang hard. *Thinks back to the days of Day of the Tentacle and Sam and Max*. Other than that, its the best Star Wars game I have ever played.

I never felt that I hated it, just before getting the light saber I found it really hard to hit enemies. Now I think I have good aim, I play lots of Counter-Strike and aim is definelty required. However when fight the storm troopers lasers seem to be going through them all the time without causing any damage. I know that the locational senses of the crosshair is, having watched it as I led the base commander with it, even highlighting his arms would move him. Also that the rifle is not the most accurate, but still found it really hard to hit them. Maybe they just have high health and it is doing damage, but sometimes they go down in two shots and other times I fire loads at them and hit nothing.

Its classy once u become a true jedi, omg you can kill rooms without a scratch if you play it right :p. I started on jedi knight diff and was finding it REALLY hard @ the start with no saber it was taking me hours to get anywhere. Once i picked up my lightsaber, well lets say i'm speeding through the later levels because it proves that being a jedi is classy (SWG should be fun), tho not easy. You cant walk into a room and hack madly but if you think and plan quickly its pure class. Ack and when you start lightsaber duels ACK brillance!

IMO being a SW fan (HUGE) and a mild fan of FPS's this is game of the year easily. Stick with it and the fun begins since i got my saber its been my favourite weapon and my shots fired are sometimes below 100 (using the imp rifle thats not many shots).

HF now to find this special moves so i can matrix kick! :duel:

I sense that most of you saying it was hard getting used to playing JO at first must never of really played FPS. I mean when i got JO Last thursday i installed and played the first level and the controls and such were a sinch. Also, if your complaining about puzzles i sense that all you wanted was a game that you can rush through like all those recent games that have been released with short SP. I really enjoy the puzzles they make you think, and they make you explore areas. that was something i loved in JK, and i havn't seen a game like it sense untill now. JO really makes you think when it comes to puzzles and exploring. The first levels where pretty cool IMO. I liked how right away you were dropped into an Imperial Facility and get to kill stormies. :D

Ah well, thats just my opinion. I enjoy puzzles and the controls are very good. I think that the bulk of you complaining about how the controls are, are people who havn't played FPS's very much.

Besides the stupid level designs where they gave you no clue on where to go next besides stumbling around for the next pathway, the glich of your blasters not causing damage up close REALLY pissed me off to the point where I wanted to put my fist through my monitor. I kept dying early on just because I kept running out of ammo. Now I stick to the lightsaber exclusively and now everything's butter.

Well in the end, Raven cant make everyone happy.

Some like puzzels, some dont. If JK2 wouldve been Soldier of Fortune in space, peopel wouldve *****ed there too.

I think Raven made a good mix of it all. I never had any problems with any jump or whatever puzzels.

But yes, the game gets MUCH better over time. Which is a bad thing cause non harcore SW fans will not bother after 3 levels. Also some of level design early in the game is laughable. I mean you can count the brushes on top of brushes.

Then later on in the game, everything gets better. Thank god. The lightsaber battles with the Reborn are so friggin cool that i always load up my saves to just battle them over and over again. Too bad the bots arent even close to that cool....

Heres hope to a JKO:2 with the new Doom tech...(heh Raven doing quake 4 so they could do it.) If JKO sells well enough im sure lucasarts will let em do it.

Im not done yet, taken my sweet time, but dispite all the nitpicking i would still say good job Raven.

I like the new models, modified engine, and lifelike AI, but I absolutely hated the first 12 levels with all those puzzles, not because I hate puzzles, on the contrary, I love them, but I was expecting some hardcore saber battles and shootouts, which I got in the latter half of the game and am now satisfied. I just think that all that stuff in the beginning was out of place. If I want insane puzzles and rat-mazes like that, I'll go play soukoban (an excellent game of that genre). I must reiterate Orbb's famous saying: "Less talking. More shooting." That about sums up my attitude to all first-person-shooter games.

I didnt hate it, I had to spend some time getting used to the controls though. It felt a little different than other FPS games ive played, Im not sure if its actually that much different or because that was the first game I played with my new mouse. I switched from a logitech mouseman ball mouse to a logitech mouseman dual optical mouse. So it could have been one or the other or a combination of both.

Yeah, dont get me wrong, I love puzzles, its just I dont like them too much when they get substituted in for what could of been more JEDI battles (Actual Jedis, not Reborn, they were fun to fight, even though they were a bit weak). You all know what I mean, Tavion was a BLAST to fight, that is about the most fun you could have in a game aside from when your in Yavin and you go up agianst a Shadowtrooper and 2 Reborn, when I played the game for the first time I spent 40 minutes at that spot because I was having so much fun fighting them to go on. :D And I agree about the shooting, it was kinda spray-n-pray in the beginning. I started to feel like Kyle needed to play some more Quake so he could become a better shot in "real-life". ;) Anyway, just my random nonsence, all-in-all, GREAT work Raven!!!

Hi there, it's the newbie posting again. :D

Well, I wouldn't say I hate JK2, but so far I've been kind of disappointed.

I played JK1 and MotS, which were absolutely amazing. They were just about perfect. When I compare JK2 to the originals . . . I don't know, there's just something missing. I can't put my finger on it. In JK1 and MotS, I feel like I'm really a part of the Star Wars universe. In JK2, it's like I'm playing a Q3 Star Wars total conversion (which it is, more or less, but I shouldn't be noticing it). I don't know how to explain or justify my conclusion but, again, that's how I feel when playing JK2.

I have to admit, that I'm only at the 9th level at the moment, the part on Nar Shadaa where you see the trash compactors. So there's still a lot of levels to get through. Maybe my opinion will change by the end of the game.

Now . . . there are certain things, that really annoy me in JK2, unlike JK1.

Like the puzzles. Of course, puzzles were also a part of JK1. And I actually like puzzles, they're a nice break from the action. But the ones in JK2, particularly the jumping ones, drive me batty. On Nar Shadaa, you have to force jump all over the damn place, in order to finish the level. It's just a bit too much.

Another thing, is the Rodian snipers in Nar Shadaa. Come on! They almost never miss! They're way too accurate. By the time you finally figure out where the shots are coming from, it's usually too late. They can nail you from clear across the other side of the city, or so it seems sometimes.

And let's face it . . . until you get the lightsaber and your force powers, JK2 is pretty boring. It takes too long before you get them back. The first few levels . . . I could have done without.

Well, here's hoping when I finish the game, I'll have changed my mind. But right now, I feel the gameplay in JK1 is superior to JK2, even if the graphics aren't.

Dont worry, it gets much much better after that level. Its when all those deadends basically stop occurring. You shouldnt get stuck anymore. Just remember to think of your force powers when trying to solve a puzzle if you get stuck. Also remember to follow lando's directions exactly next level, dont get ahead of yourself and press switches willy nilly. There's a bug if you do things out of order that you cant finish the level. Anyway, enjoy.

I started by playing MP and hated this game because the controls were all spread across the keyboard. But I figured out a good keyboard setup for me and enjoy the game a lot more now. If only they could patch out the lag I would enjoy it even more.

Well, I don't find the puzzles to be that annoying. I haven't been stuck for more than 20 minutes so far. (It did take a while to figure out how to push the two carts in the garbage factory place ... don't know what the level's called)

I don't know who it was who said that they felt like JK2 just felt like a Q3 TC, but I disagree. I love it - It totally feels like I'm immersed in the star wars universe. Actually, most of the game feels more like Dark Forces than Jedi Knight. I'd attribute this mostly to the nature of the puzzles and the look of the BlasterRifle. It's great ... I feel like I'm back playing the original DF again (which was my first FPS so it's very nostalgic for me).

Nar Shadaa is really neat too. It feels a lot like the Nar Shadaa cutscene from JK1.

Oh yeah ... I hate those stupid Rodian Snipers, too!! It's so retarted that as soon as you go around a corner they know exactly where you are. It takes me at LEAST 10-15 seconds to scan the whole area and it's rediculous that they're all positioned so that you jump into their line-of-sight whenever you round a corner.

I kinda had a beef with the game too in the beginning. The one thing that I noticed first was the Storm Trooper rifle, it felt to me that the primary fire was a tad too slow, I ended up using secondary most of the time. That and the annoying jumping cursor, wow that got old, I thought there was something wrong with my aim.

The first missions seemed to go a bit slow, and most of the tough puzzles would get me, but I would stop and try to think it through logically and I figured them out pretty fast after that.

After I got the Lightsaber it was aswesome though. Didnt even use any other weapons except for the sniper rifle on occasion. Chopping off arms in all different places, the death scenes of the troopers. I cut one guy's hand off and he just grabbed his wrist and stared at it while he died. Force grip level 3 is great, the way they shudder right before they die and just crumple to the floor, excellent detail. Force push over a cliff is great. The rain on the saber was VERY cool. Just beat the game tonight and I already want to start over again. Great job Raven!

Archived