Home

Sabs vs. guns in MP, some people never learn...

WD_ToRMeNt

I thought everyone had heard of the saying "Like bringing a knife to a gun fight."

Well that is what many people did in JK1, and it's the exact same way in JK2. I got into a game the other day and owned as usual. I had twice the score of the 2nd place guy. The funny thing was that the other players were calling ME a newbie because I used guns lol.

Look, I understand if you want to saber fight, that's fine with me. But don't join a server with guns and start whining and trying to start a verbal confrintation. You're just making yourself look more idiotic. If you want to saber fight join a saber only server or better yet, a dual server. That's what they're there for. Don't complain if you try to sab fight on a guns server and you get raped.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most gun attacks are fairly useless against a seasoned saber user, atleast when attacking head on. The secondary fire for the heavy repeater and the flak gun are the only two that ever concern me. This is assuming the server has a force level high enough to have level 3 saber defense.

Well. I was saberfighting on this server that said guns ff and it was filled with 32 people and I completely owned everyone in there, I had a score of 100 (the score limit) and the #2 was in the negs -12!!. I even did it with a ping of 600!! And they all started to cry when I told em I was going to join that server everyyy day.

Most people don't know how to invite the opponent into a saberduel. (default= press K!!). That's cuz we're all too newbie to know what we should do when someone asks us to duel. That's also the problem u see on most servers: they dunno what they're doing. And when they're fighting 1vs1 vs some other saberist for 5 minutes, and some 3rd person with a rocket launcher bugs in, they get upset cuz they thought they were having a personal duel. They could have a personal duel if they just activated it, but most people dunno how.

So plz understand that most people don't know the rules of the game, and they'll start complaining when they think it's not ok. We're all noobs, i've seen people asking how to use force in no force games. I've also seen people complaining about the fast jumps Q3 people use. Just let it go and understand that we all just need to learn what can be done and what not.

I got into a game the other day and owned as usual

Right there is when your opinion lost any merit as far as I'm concerned.

Like Kalishnikov and Darksider said, a good saberist can take care of a gunner no matter what he's using. I think you were just going against low skilled saberists, WD_ToRMeNt.

LOL Perhaps you were going against low skilled gunners. Zodiac is right though, there are to many people playing who don't really know what to do so they just draw saber and charge into the nearest saber battle. Sure, a skilled saberist can rack up kills in the situation, but try it against an experienced gunner...

Regardless, all I was saying with the origional post was that people shouldn't complain if they get killed with a gun on a server tha allows guns.

Originally posted by WD_ToRMeNt

Regardless, all I was saying with the origional post was that people shouldn't complain if they get killed with a gun on a server tha allows guns.

:) Yeah. I understood that part. I agreee 100% too.

lol, if you had a ping of 600, you owned them because you were jumping halfway across the level every 10 seconds.. lol.

I don't think the saber is useless against guns - I've beaten so many people shooting blasters at me just by standing there and deflecting shots back at them. I've also beaten a few "undeflectable gunners" but throwing my saber at them.. they can't block it with a gun :)

The best stratagy is to use guns and sabers... I'm a saber/force man myself, but sometimes guns are cool. And if the guy bringing a knife to a gun fight can throw his knife and retreive it, and his knife is blistering hot and 3 feet long (and he can deflect the bullets being shot at him ANd push the ones he can't deflect away), I don't think he's necesarrily going to lose. But maybe I'm wrong.. lol.

The following was tested on my server with a friend who just stood there with his saber out and had level3 saber defend and which i fired directly infront of him.

Ok first of all level3 saber defend means ****. The primary shot for the flak cannon is not fully blockable, i've killed many people who had level3 saber defend with the primary attacks of several guns in the game. For example the primary attack for the flak cannon can get by a level3 saber defender, so can the secondary attack of the blaster rifle, also the primary attack of the heavy repeater.

So for all the people who posted that a good saberist cannot be killed by a gun is wrong.

Veteran, did you bother to make sure your friend was using the light stance? The medium and heavy stances won't block nearly as much, obviously, given that they move the saber slower.

And yes, I agree people shouldn't whine about getting killed by guns in a server that allows them.

Sorry. I just looked to me like you were saying the saber, the focus of the game, was useless against gunners. My fault for misunderstanding. My comment about no merit, you just sounded alittle arrogant saying you "owned as usual", to me anyways.

I would say a good gunner versus an equally skilled saberist would end in a stalemate. Now if you take out force powers, that's a whole different ball game. Then I would say the gunner has the advantage.

I think Raven did an excellent job balancing the guns against each other and against the saber. Some people have said the Bowcaster is all but useless. While it fires slower, its much more powerful than the Stormtrooper rifle, for example. It has the added bonus of being quite effective against saberists at close range when its charged up. As the saberist is rendered vulnerable for a brief moment as they swing the saber.

Yeah like u say some ppl never learn ....

And that s the saberist not capable of dealing with guns and gunners like u only going for kills against those noobs

For me personnally i ended with 3 solutions against gun lamers

-Just deflect the bolt and when i m close knock down the lamer with pull to slice his torso ( in general it ends up even before i slice coz the poor guy blasted his own face with bolts reflected at him )

-Deflect the rocket , flak whatever explosive u can name with push and hopefully splash the lamer face with his own ammo

-STEAL his weapon with pull ...yeah it works at close Range like some ppl didn t have yet realised and it s definitily the best solution ....either i kill the unarmed moron with saber either i use his ho so badass weapon on his face

Now plez enjoy your kills against noobs for some days while u can ....coz after ppl learn how to use saber u better go back to quake 3 :p

Kalishnikov - Veteran, did you bother to make sure your friend was using the light stance?

Yes i did, and he still died most of the time, depending on the gun i would say 7/10 times he would die on average ... and remember i was directly infront of him ... so a veteran gunner would obviously not be shooting at an enemy head on .... he would be shooting from all angles thus shots ARE getting through your puny lightsaber.

Man i don t know what silly test u did but obviously it wasn t realistic

All the Blaster shots directed at me are reflected and that s durin FFA 16 ppl games, so i can guarantee u this fact ( and i m not even in light stance ...allways in medium )

After of course the explosive are not blockable and i cannot be sure that flak primary shot is ...But try to kill me with repeater primary and it ll end up with you receiving your own shots

Sure you can try to flank the saberist so that he don t block but generally he will rush u so the angle will be FULL frontal meaning all bolts deflected ( and considering the range it will be mostly in your face )

And if by chance u would get through ( i doubt it ) there is allways pull ( which i ll use againts those pesky explosive weapons ) .....now u ll learn to dodge the shots of your former weapon :D

"he would be shooting from all angles thus shots ARE getting through your puny lightsaber."

Would he now? I was under the impression that you couldn't be in two places at the same time. :lsduel: Given that I don't have a problem blocking shots the majority of the time when holding my ground, and given that I don't consider myself a seasoned light saber user, I'm guessing that your friend definitely isn't a seasoned light saber user. Either that, or you didn't conduct these test.

Erm, clearly, this confrontation was meant to exist.

I choose the saber because it is fun. I can walk around and shoot people with the same guns in the other 19 million FPSes, but where else can I use Force powers, sword fight, kick, roll, etc? The elegance of the saber, even IF it didn't deflect everything, would win me over in a heartbeat.

All of these tests are asinine. An experienced Jedi wouldn't stand still and deflect anything... hell, as someone mentioned, they could even just roll, Throw, and direct it through the defenseless gunner's torso. At the very least, they would dodge and roll behind cover to get closer, or Force Speed to safety.

One isn't meant to be superior. Even in JK1, I remember chilling in Oasis with 3 friends, going mad with pulling weapons, or randomly switching to a rail in a duel, then switching back to Saber. I think that a true Jedi knows what weapon to use when, and would be versatile enough to not be predictable.

Gun-hoes generally just kill saber users who are fighting ( a great example is Bespin stand on the balcony and spam imp gun alt fire = very easy kills). The only gun i fear is spammed imp gun or spammed flak, however push pull and dodging work a treat against these threats. But as someone said above mass killing newbies doesnt mean "j00 own da servers" (sorry i dont l33t speak) it means newbies cant defend against guns and you will finish top scorewise but not skill wise :).

Also does winning matter SO much to you, the best time i had online was dueling this bloke for 1hr i only won 1round but i sure had alot of fun dueling him!

I would add tho guns are excellent for killing long distance runners a blaster in the back is fair when they are running like cowards :p.

have fun :duel: <---- do some of that its very very good and fun!

This isn't honor. This isn't a sword fight, cause frankly in real life, I would win against 90% of you in a sword fight. This is a game and you play to win, and if you want to win a good chunk of the time, you play it smart by using guns. You shoot people in the back, you shoot them when they're fighting someone else, and you run from fights you know you can't win. That is how you play the game.

O dear vader cheer up in no way do i relate this to real life hehehe its way more fun sabering through people than gunning them imo. Yea winnings fun but its only a game have fun first win 2nd, o and as for RL well winning is all but this isnt RL its not even a proper tournie is it???

Hm, I play for fun. If some looser is standing on some upper balcony spamming explosives, I would literally stop dueling with whoever I was fighting, turn off the saber, and move it somewhere else. If they followed, I would ask my opponent to go kick his wussy ass with me, and turn it into a game of hunt-the-lamer.

Why?

Because I was having fun, winning or losing. Some people are capable of that. When a griefer waltzes in and decides that his type of fun is spammign things off balconies to see a stupid number next to his name go up, "fun" moves from the "having a fair fight with someone" to "hunting down losers until they complain and/or drop." It has nothing to do with honor or winning. It has to do with fun. I play games for fun. When that is taken away, I get quite upset by it.

Now, you shoot me in the back, when I'm fighting, etc, a few times, no harm, no foul. It is annoying, but then, I should have been protecting that... though if you came up behind someone I was dueling, I would probably Throw and hit you. I do duel with honor, because that, too, is fun. Call it role playing.

To recap:

Spam for 10 minutes from a rooftop, I hunt you down.

Shoot me normally, I shrug and go on with life.

Archived