Home

Sabs vs. guns in MP, some people never learn...

WD_ToRMeNt

You're assuming you're better than the guy spamming with guns and could take him in a fight. From what I observed the more experienced players use guns, and the newbs go saber only, which is why I kill them, cause they're newbs.

For me, winning is fun, and though I wish I was good at saber (I'm working at it, I practice against 16 bots, saber only, highest diffuculty, no force and win most of the time), I know that's not the path to victory.

On a unrelated note, people who are old tribes veterans are REALLY good at JK2 with guns, because tribes teaches you how to lead fire. Newbies choose saber because they can't overcome the slow moving projectiles.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually if you shoot people in the back and shoot them while they're fighting you infact have no skill at all. You're just a sad sad little ***** who wouldn't dare go up against someone in a saber fight because you KNOW you'd lose. Hell. You wouldn't even fight em if they had a gun because once again you'd lose. Why? Because you have no skill and have to shoot people in the back or when they're defenceless against you and fighting someone else... get some skills. I'll come own your ass with guns in Quake3 if you like. As stated before you don't play JK2 for the guns you play it for the ability to use sabers and force powers

I agree on a few points: Don't complain about getting gunned down on a gun server. But I gotta disagree about the bringing a knife to a gun fight thingie (much like many of you gentlemen/ladies here). The sabre is damn powerful if used by someone who knows what he's doin. I'm probably biased though... I was one of those people in JK1 (and I played that game extensively) who used the saber no matter what... and you're right ... in that game it really was a knife... a teeny tiny pocket knife... but i was never about WINNING games, just wanted to see how many people that pocket knife could take out before I lost.

It's very amusing deflecting all of an opponent's ammo then watching him flee when the saber is automatically drawn since he's got nothing left and dosent know how to use the saber. So all you gun nuts out there, listen to the guy who said that sabers/guns is the way to go , and learn to use that thing decently, it sure is better than the gauntlet in quake 3 (albeit less humilitating to die by).

Also I find that having force healing helps a saberist quite a bit.

Later

Awwww, so sad you have to resort to petite insults to make your point. You should just be quiet, left with your fury, while I beat you in both games.

If they wanted only sabers and force powers, they wouldn't have even put guns in.

If you think I win games solely by shooting people in the back, or running then you are sorely mistaken, cause that is not always the case, and I have to go face to face against a saberist quite often and still come on top. Ya, I'm sure I have no skill at all, which is why the only reason I win is pure luck.

You wouldn't dare go against me in a real life swordfight cause you'd lose. Samurai blood runs through my veins, though I doubt it does in yours.

/me is "old school" Tribes vet

/me plays JK2 because it isn't limited to guns

And yes, I am assuming that I can take him in a fight, because he is spamming with a gun. A REAL gun expert wouldn't stand still long enough for me to know he was spamming. It would be like one of those dumbass snipers/heavies who stood on the top of a hill for 5 minutes shooting at the same target.

The real people you worry about are the ones you can't find. You should know THAT from Tribes...

As far as where "experienced" players go, bah. The game hasn't been out for a week yet. No one is experienced. I think that the "experienced" people with the guns are there becasue they are used to normal FPSes, and naturally stick to and excel at using guns, whereas the Saber users are still mostly figuring out how to do it.

In a month, I hope that there will be a balance. It would be boring dueling constantly.

It's not getting killed by gunners that pisses a lot of people off, it's getting killed because that person cant do anything but force jump and spam repeater alt fire. Yeah, you can repulse them, but you get so much ammo with it that theres no much point in chasing.

By and by, for those of you saying that Saber defense CAN'T deflect all attacks (and I just mean Blaster, not special weapons)

http://www.zagadka.net/saberdefense.jpg

Didn't fire once, didn't get hit once. Just got into a corner. They couldn't hit me from any angle.

If someone knows the code to spawn troopers with the heavier weapons, it would be interesting to try that.

>>If you can hit a saberist at least once with a bolt to the foot - there's a strong chance that they might freak a bit.<<

That's why I crouch and block in the light stance. The amount of times I've just crouched in one place as someone stands there for 10 seconds firing his Repeater at me until he is killed by his own bullets is scary - what are these people thinking?

Hunt the lamer is a bunch of fun , i was fighting with a pair of guys when it started raining primary flechette from above , we all stopped , looked at each other for a second then turned on force jumped from the courtyard to high walkway above us (ffa_bespin)

its amazing how fast 3 sabres cut someone down

and yes , as Zagadka said (Zagdaka from the MPU boards?) , there is nothing that cannot be deflected

blasters 100% - i stand still with level 3 saber def. i can go afk and come back to find you dead

primary flechette 95% - Mostly deflected , im considerably likely to either push you down and bisect you or roll and throw , bisecting you =p

primary repeater - Firing this at someone facing you with a sabre is equivalent to screaming from the rooftops "IM ABOUT TO KILL MYSELF! YIPEE!!!" , the close i am the faster you die , i wont get a scratch

disruptor - if i see a disruptor bolt zip past my head , its force speed , jump and after the second it takes me to reach you a nice butchering with my sabre while you are still zoomed in with your little scope . make that second a halfsecond if i have sight on .

rockets - admittedly harder to deal with but if im at least at medium range ill hear the shot and turn and push it back right where it came from , long range ill push it back but you will probably be out of the way by the time it gets back to you , close range yeah i might die but so will you

secondary repeater - every other shot gets pushed back , of course i only push back the first shot then forcejump and or speed to get in close and butcher you

secondary flechette - same as with rockets basically , though the close range nature of the wepon means you are almost certainly going to die when i push it back .

oh and if were on a map with a drop , you can bet im going to grip you , hold you over the void , point down and wait for grip to expire so you may know fear .

GunWhore was thrown to his doom by Darksider[saberSociety]

Darksider[saberSociety] : NO Mercy for the gun whores!

Rofl, sure. We all know you have the superhuman skills to hear an incoming rocket, tingling your spideysense, magically turning to where it's coming from and pushing it back.

I'm equally amused by your ending every scenario with a sound butchering like they wouldn't switch to a saber, strafe and shoot, or just plain run.

Hm, call it Tribes reflex, but whenever I hear an incoming rocket, I reflexively jump (and usually press alt fire trying to use my jetpack :-)

Nothing in this game is uber over everything else. There is a lot of rock-paper-scissors, and stringing together attack/defense strategies works as much on how you play as it does in saber duels. FFS, I've pulled the Heavy Repeater on hearing a rocket fire, and let loose... or just Speed and run to find them and get the drop myself...

the merr-sonn missile launcher makes a distinctive sound when launched and it can be heard from up to about a medium range

one overhead strike or two torso slashes in medium stance will likely kill you outright especially if force speed or dark rage is on , shooting at close range is only going to get you killed , by deflection with energy weapons or your own splash damage

to date the only time ive been killed by a gunner is when ive faced more than one in different directions shooting at the same time , when im on extremely low health and dead from behind before i can turn to deflect , a spammed explosive weapon shot down a hallway full of people , or when im taken while occupied with a sabre fight . one on one i never lose to a gunwhore without taking him with me

Originally posted by VaderJM

You wouldn't dare go against me in a real life swordfight cause you'd lose. Samurai blood runs through my veins, though I doubt it does in yours.

omg that is the stupidest comeback i've ever heard.

incase you haven't noticed. "everyone" on the internet has 15" ***** and are all 6"4 tall with perfect features and everything else perfect that you can ever think of.

so please. no need to pull out bogus "real life facts" about yourself.

Originally posted by WD_ToRMeNt

I thought everyone had heard of the saying "Like bringing a knife to a gun fight."

Well that is what many people did in JK1, and it's the exact same way in JK2. I got into a game the other day and owned as usual. I had twice the score of the 2nd place guy. The funny thing was that the other players were calling ME a newbie because I used guns lol.

Look, I understand if you want to saber fight, that's fine with me. But don't join a server with guns and start whining and trying to start a verbal confrintation. You're just making yourself look more idiotic. If you want to saber fight join a saber only server or better yet, a dual server. That's what they're there for. Don't complain if you try to sab fight on a guns server and you get raped.

people only whine when lamers spam with the secondary firing function on the repeater, and maybe the flecchet gun or whatever it's called. otherwise all the other guns aren't much of a threat.

the main problem is really the easily available guns that comes with massive splash damage capabilties. in jedi knight 1 guns weren't used enough in a force enabled game since pull was 100% effective at geting rid of guns. so really, if the spammabilty of the more readily avaible guns are turned down then expect gun users to whine alot more.

but then again, the reason people are flocking to jedi knight is for the force/sabre action. not for the same guns that some other 12 fps games already have anyway.

besides, i would say 80% of the gun kills are coming from that repeater spam rifle anyway.

Hm, as much as I would like to agree, guns are part of the game, and so is their secondary fire. It is more than fair to spam with area effect secondary fire... my response to it, however, would be something like a posse, relentlessly pounding their punk ass into the ground until they dropped, not to verbally abuse them.

Originally posted by Zagadka

Hm, as much as I would like to agree, guns are part of the game, and so is their secondary fire. It is more than fair to spam with area effect secondary fire... my response to it, however, would be something like a posse, relentlessly pounding their punk ass into the ground until they dropped, not to verbally abuse them.

sure guns are a part of the game. but as it is now some of the guns needs to be fixed.

the game is *supposed* to be balanced in the sense that the force is much superior to any weapon. as in the guy with the sabre won't be helpless all the time, but instead utilising the force can even the fight.

but now we just have people 90% of the time running around with the repeater rifle solely for the secondary firing mode. that suggests that it's overpowered. it's a mass killing machine that is way too readily available.

if they made it that sabres killed you in 1 hit and was unblockable then the sabre would be cheap as well. well that's what the secondary fire on the repeater rifle is as of now. cheap.

Wha? Why would I lie, I'm saying maybe you should shut your hole about honor of saber fighting in a game if you couldn't even take someone IRL.

I'm half japanese, there's a samurai sword somewhere within the family(2nd cousin has it) so sans reason I have samurai blood. There ya go.

I find the repeater primary much more useful, because you need around 3 solid hits of seconday to take someone down, which is very hard.

You don't think that the Fetts will give Obi-Wan a run for his money in Episode 2?

The Force is a powerful tool (or weapon), but it is not the power of a god. It will let you do things as one person that should be impossible, but it doesn't make you invulnerable. A well placed shot or an extremely skillful gun wielder can still get through - especially if they use the Force in controlling their weapon, as Luke and Vader use the Force as pilots.

Perhaps the alt fire on some of the weapons needs to be slowed down - but the big disadvantage of weapons is that they are fully offensive. Sabers are excellent defensive tools (when used properly and with the Force), and guns are powerful offensive tools, with range and rate of fire.

Going strictly from the movies, there is no way in hell anyone should be able to stand there and deflect fire from 8 storm troopers. From 2, maybe 3, yes, but eventually you just run out of space and time.

And VaderJM, stop being stupid.

ill think youll find that the only complainers (at least the only ones i see) are people that are in a fight, i cant think of ANYONE that enjoys playing on a server with some guy running around after cheap kills. thats the main problem, many people think that topping the server makes them great, so they kill kill kill in what ever way to do so. i mean ive see loads of people that "owned the server peice of cake", but how did they play? they ran about pretty much sniping everyone that was in a saber fight, THAT is lame, using a gun isnt, they are there to be used and give you options on your killing styles. and whats worse is people that plant those sentry guns near a spawn point, its lame!

untill i find decent people to play against or a low ping dueling server ill probably spend most my time owning them crappy jedi knight bots and practice my force and saber throwing skills

Archived