Home

Why dont' people duel?

Misa

Am I playing on the wrong servers or something? I challange people to duels and most of the time get attacked for doing so. I have been on a few server where people a couple people accepted but it seems to be a rare ocurence. I know that you can't duel in ctf games but I would think a few people would accept once in a while on ffa. I am begining to loose faith that it is worth challenging people any more.

Also is there a server people from this messagboard frequent? It woudl be nice to go up against a few of the people that post here.

Look for sabre only servers with under 15 people or so. These tend to draw the "duelers" (well..not as much as duel games but whatcha gonna do?). It would appear the most "common" way to show your intent for a duel (so they don't just charge/kill ya) is to disengage your sabre and crouch

Peace:jawa

Oh and in regards to your 2nd question, I dunno how many boardies go there but hosting.com Sabre TFFA server is seriously awesome. Great pings, and seems to draw some seriously awesome sabre fighters.

Being a sabre addict from JK1 and now JK2 I am always hunting for new opponents to duel. I've actually gotten a few people to duel me in ffa games, however most people simply attack me, as you've mentioned. Usually the ones who accept end up being the more skilled players on the server instead of the rest of the ffa crowd who seem to think that this game is Quake 3 with jedis and look at a saber challenge as a chance for a free hit.

Anyway if anyone ever wants a duel, i'm always up for it, just tell me where and when.

I think i'll give that server a go =)

actually dueling on multiplayer is just mindless swinging spam fest right now. well you can roll, jump, and things like that but still, to me, it's all about luck unless they release a patch that makes multiplayer duels like in single player.

I've been playing online since yesterday. I tried some FFA and capture the flag, but most of the time it's too laggy and people seem to run around at random...not nice.

I mainly played on duel servers and I had a lot of fun there. Hardly any lag and quite a few people actually seemed to think about their moves.

My favourite way to play sabers is with only basic force abilities..some push some jump..

I played for three hours in a row. WE played for a long time with just two saber stances.. quite fun actually.

Anyways, after than one server I haven't really been able to find another one that was as much fun. As soon as you have some lag mp sabers is pretty much unplayable...

Annoying people who answer a challenge by gripping is just asking for a push.

I only duel on FFA servers, why you ask? Because you can't use any force powers but force jump is still active. On duel servers there's either force powers or no force powers, with force it mostly just comes down to who can heal/drain the most and end up with a lucky heavy stance hit and with no force powers you can't jump high or do many of the acrobatics.

I never attack someone in FFA unless they attack me first, I always walk around with my saber sheathed and looking for duelers. I just push away and ignore people like DPRODIGY who desperately has to try and kill duelers by gripping them because they know they'd get owned in a real saber fight.

I've actually gotten a few people to duel me in ffa games, however most people simply attack me, as you've mentioned. Usually the ones who accept end up being the more skilled players on the server instead of the rest of the ffa crowd who seem to think that this game is Quake 3 with jedis and look at a saber challenge as a chance for a free hit.

My thought exactly, most ppl just dont realize that their beeing challenged, so thier just slashing the living snot out of you while your politely asking to duel (with the saber turned off to show your intentions) this is very frustrating and i get bored doing it after a while so i just dont.

also i get pretty tired off explaining to ppl what duels is and how to accept them every time i'm on a server. I know this is a new game and that Noob isnt a word to be used yet as we a all more or less Noob's (I am anyway) but the first time i got challenged, i didnt know what to do, so i instantly opened my control menu to define a key to accept, this way i could at least answer duels (got my ass kicked the first 200 times i think *lol*) anyways, as i said in another thread, i think there should be an auto accept feature for duels on FFA, many times i find myself getting saberd by a third person while the other guy is trying to find the duel button, it takes way too long and other dudes (and may i add, not very sportsman like) wont miss an oportunity to get a free frag.

otherwise, this game r0x!

gottas luv that stuff when u walk towards eachother, sabers off offcourse, saying some "i'm your father" bull to the dude, challenges, and thens go insane with the saber on eachother....

Sabers rule, always

Originally posted by DPRODIGY

I usually grip the players who wants to duel me and throw them into dark space and watch them screaming as they falling down.

So you're essentially saying you suck at sabers and use the cheapo grip to win your battles.

:p

Actually a lot of people still do not know how to accept a challenge.

Then there are others who are not proficient with saber and don't want to accept a challenge.

Then there are lamers who eagerly wait for someone to challenge them so they can try to get an easy kill by attacking the challenger before they can respond.

Now me, I have no problems with giving or accepting challenges...I am not the best with the saber but to me, actual duels are the best way to learn.

Also is it me or is force grip and drain far far to powerful compared to the other force powers??

Originally posted by Zagadka

Hm, can you make a Bind to say something quickly, explaining how to accept?

I think so but I do not know the specific command.

I mean you can bind taunts and such, why not a quick message?

I duel anyone who asks me whatever my status - I may be Dark but i have honor! And my honor demands no less than to accept a duel against a 125 health 125 shield opponent while im on 1 health no shield and no force . I have been guilty of killing a person who stood with no sabre on doing nothing (not facing me not duelling just standing there) didnt realise what id done until id made the killing swing - figured hed react after i boot kicked him to the head .

I challenge any halfway decent saber fighter and if they dont use guns and show honor and saber skill through the match i usually invite them to enter Saber Society (not a clan just an association of duelists and saber users so we can defend our FFA servers against the gun whores and duel each other for fun).

Usually challenge with sabre sheathed (except when im recording a demo which seems to bork my keys taking about 10 presses to sheath sabre or change stance) . If they take a cheap swing its a backflip then runforward headkick and nail them to the ground with an overhead chop . If they grip me its a push anything else i just drain and engage.

Darksider[saber Society] - Dueling veteran and honourable Dark Knight

If anyone wants to see how much fun sabre fighting can be check this demo out

http://www.members.optushome.com.au/ewa55/MeOnFFABespin.zip

Its long almost 20 minutes and the best part is at the end (a series of duels on the pad at ffa_bespin) and this includes my guilty act of killing an unarmed man .... but its worth a watch if youve got nothing better to do and want to see some fast and furious sabre action

i believe this contains my record of chain sabre kills , i get 3 or 4 earlier on then towards then end i hit a 4 or 5 (cant remember which it is lol) . Watch for the desaan model Padawan going flying when i kill him midair with a sabre throw ;)

how can anyone look me in the eye and say spamming with a gun is anywhere near this level of fun

(if anyone does care to watch that demo extract it to your jk2 directory/gamedata/base/demos , goto multiplayer , play , play demo and load it up

(and on the server i play on (ausgamers 1) 'gf' means good fight ;))

On the servers I tend to play on, there seems to be a nice amount of duelers on in FFA modes. Best idea is to turn off your sabre, find a quieter area of the map, that suits duelling, and challenge ppl as they come through. Regularly, a certain area of the map is kinda "taken over" by duellers, but unfortunately it only take one idiot to break it up. Just be ready to jump/roll away if they go you!!

And yeah, I play on AusGamers too :)

Ive only played a couple of games. I tried initiating some duels with people because it eliminates third parties gunning you down from outside while you're sabre fighting with someone. No one went for it though.

One guy asked how you accept. Does no one bother to go into their options menus and set their buttons up?

I come from a Rune background and there is, for a most part, a nice set of ettiquettes set up in that game as far as dueling and honorable fighting goes. I try to uphold that sense in JK even though I play sort of dishonorably (i.e. the afore mentioned gunning people down who are sabre fighting from a safe distance, tripwires, sentry and practice droid coverage and my fave... pulling people to me only to whack them with my lightsabre). I will always accept a duel though. Its nice to lock yourself into one on one combat amidst the chaos around you.... thrilling.

Guest Krayt Tion

I've never turned down a duel no matter the game type (where applicable) and I never will. Like someone else in this thread I will accept no matter what my health or status... I'll even break off pursing some guy I've been chasing for a few minutes if I find someone nearby has challenged me.

If you want to Quake me when I challenge you, go right ahead. In the unwritten code that I and other duelers abide by, your cheap shots and your unworthy score will never amount to anything. ;)

People just need to read the manual to find out about dueling. JO is too complex a game to play off the fly if you've never played Jedi Knight before.

The only thing that annoys me during duels is the people who try to attack us. No, it doesn't hurt, but they get in the way big time. I'd go play on a dueling server, but that takes too long :p

Half the time you have to wait for another duel to be over.....

So they try to challenge see that they cant then attack you,being honest on a FFA server with 16 players getting time to challenge can be a pain,thing is you can see they are trying to challenge or look like they are going to so you go for the "k" ready to accept or to challenge them back and while doing so they have already decided they aint going to hang around...wise to be on your toes

gets me is the people who stand thier shooting you while your in a duel or run inbetween you slashing thier sabers .....quick message to those type of nutters "READ THE F***** MANUAL.

Holy...out

Originally posted by DPRODIGY

actually dueling on multiplayer is just mindless swinging spam fest right now. well you can roll, jump, and things like that but still, to me, it's all about luck unless they release a patch that makes multiplayer duels like in single player.

Actually its mindless swinging cause a lot of people are new to the game and dont know how to use the saber. I took time with a friend in a server to learn a lot of saber moves and the time when to attack and when to defend, saber fighting can be complex only if you make it, and trust me, it's a lot more fun that way. In the Future i hope they patch more saber moves and give it even more depth, this is the best sword fighting game i've played, only other game i can think of is Rune.

Dueling servers are definitely the way to go for me and most of the people on this thread, speaking of dueling, wtf is that control center doing as a duel map? that is completely gay, i spend half the time running around looking for my opponent. Low ceilings = bad in duels.

Archived