Home

Game Doesn't Start - Direct Draw Problem

Guest Shimmer

Guest Shimmer

I am having troubles starting the game. Every time I click on the shortcut, it brings up the splash screen, but when I click to play, it gives me this error:

Could not initilize graphics system. Make sure your video card and drivers are compatible with direct draw.

System Specs:

Proc: 1.4 T-bird DDR 266FSB

Ram: 512MB PC2100

Video: Geforce 2 Ultra 64MB DDR

Sound: Soundblaster Live! Value

I can play a game like Aliens VS. Predator 2, but can't even start up a freaking sim. Any help would be nice.

Shimmer

I have the same problem, only instead of a message poping up I get a black screen and the game doesn't start. I got the game to start once by doing the following: Change your screen resolution to 800x600 and you color depth to 16-bit. You'll be able to run the game at 800x600 but not at 1024x768. If anyone nows of different workaround please share!

I think that it is terrible that LucasARTS put out a 2d game with an engine that has been tested for a couple of years since the release of AOEII and still has these kind of problems. By the way, AOEII runs fine!

My specs:

WindowsXP

Radeon vivo DDR 64MB

384 MB SDRAM

SOUNDBLASTER LIVE

LATEST VIDEO CARD AND DIRECTx drivers installed.

Hope it helps!

• 5 weeks later...

I'm having the same problem on my new Toshiba notebook running WinXP with the latest nVidia GeForce 2 Go drivers and the latest DirectX (8.1). I have to turn it off and try again later and it'll work. Now I'm getting the "Insert CD" when the CD is in! What gives? :bdroid1:

Archived