Home

Saber dueling defense techniquies?

Laser Guided

Im just curious as to how people 'block' incoming attacks. Is it all just random luck or is there a way to successfully block every attack. I basically just try to keep my saber facing the direction of the incoming saber but it doesn't seem to work all the time (even when the time scale is slowed way down.)

And how about attacks from high to low, does crouching offer a better chance to deflect the attack? It seems that there are a few moves that are unblockable (not strong stance moves either) for example the light stance/ lunge forward. Its the attack where the enemy slides towards you with the saber low to the ground and raises it straight up.

Also I read that strong saber stance sucks at defense so that means light stance is the best defensive stance?

What about running back as aposed to moving forward? Are you more likely to block attacks while moving backwards or standing still ? (still facing the attack that is). And can you even block attacks when moving forward?

I know thats a lot of questions but im just trying to find the pattern. I've learned offensive saber use but I just can't grasp blocking with any frequent success.

yes, light stance is best for defence, also a higher saber defence force rating will give you better defence. standing still i think is the best block posture (perhaps crouching).

I like to evade moves rather than block them. Use the roll (any direction then tap crouch) to get out of lightsaber blows.

Also use lots of jumps. Typically i will go in for an attack, and the INSTANT i finish i jump up and away as far as i can do evade the counterattack. or i roll back or to the side. These are both good moves to get you OUT of the counterattack fast.

also, they look cool.

As far as I know as long as you are facing the direction of attack you will succesfully block the attack. So if they are above you, then look up at them (however I'd suggest rolling out of the way of a jumping attack).

Theoretically (and in practie :p ) You can block every single attack an enemy makes by standing completely still... However this is a bad idea becuase you'll get kicked in the face and fall over :p

As far as I know the jump chop attack with the powerful stance is unblockable, im not sure about the lunge however.

One important thing to keep in mind is that whenever you ae attacking you are vulnerable to being pushed/slashed/pulled whatever. So as soon as you lift that saber into the air your opponent can do a plethora of things to make your life more difficult, only attack when you are sure of a hit.

I never use the fast stance, it is very weak and not much faster than the medium stance. I notice no defensive differences in any of the stances when you are not attacking. However the powerful stance leave you open to be pushed/slashed/hit with a thrown saber before and after the swing becuase of the delay, however it is potentially a 1 hit kill (100 damage to someone with no shields i believe). I'd suggest sticking to the medium stance and switching to the powerful one certain cases (like when the enemy falls over).

ALSO, don't rely on blocking to save your life! Learn to move and roll.

I hope this helps.

About jumping: This is a possible hazard depending on whether you are in a game with force or not. If you jump people may easily push you off a ledge or pull you back towards them, exercise with caution.

Thanks for the replies. I just did some more testing on 0.2 speed and I think I understand more on blocking.

It seems that as long as the cross hairs are on the enemy and your not attacking or runinng towards them, you will block everything (except of course the strong unblockable attacks). So you don't have to face the incoming saber attack, just stay as aligned with the enemy as possible and you can block well. Of course there is also a space factor where if your too close you'll get poked. I also found out that to block that quick low lunge forward, you have to jump straight up and keep the crosshairs over the enemy. It seems any other attempt to block this attack knocks your saber back and leaves you vunerable for more quick attacks.

Crounching does seem to improve blocking jumping over head attacks.

I agree that rolling, jumping, and dodging play a big role but so does blocking especially when you find yourself on a narrow walk way with no place to manuver. That and I have more fun with a lot of blocking. It makes the game more exciting rather then constantly jumping all around and hoping to get behind an opponet.

not much faster than the medium stance.

Actually it seems to me that the fast stance is SLOWER than the medium stance for a single swing, its just that you can get mad combos... which in truth is pretty useless as while you "comboing" the other guy can forcepush you...

1) Light is a bit better at defense, and it has several quick attacks and spins. I've won a few times just by rolling and coming out of it with a spin slice to their back.

2) Jumping is a bad idea. If some fool insists on jumping constantly around me, I have no problem with Push/Throw, just to teach him a lesson. Jump should be reserved for times that you really need it, like emergency evades. If you jump a lot, you are predictable and vulnerable.

3) I've been trying to refine my defending recently. A lot of it is knowing when to attack and when not to; a lot of people run about wildly spinning and swinging, while spamming Force. A true master will knwo when to hit you with what, be patient, read your patterns (everyone has patterns), and land the right hit at the right time.

4) If you want to practice defending without being on a live server, spawn a RebornFencer. They come at you with a lot of swings etc, and move a lot. Do it on Jedi Master difficulty, and just see how long you can go without being hit - when comfortable with that, try to take them out in as few swings as possible. They are most vulnerable when spinning and jumping - and so are players. When that gets boring, spawn 3. You can get pretty good at reading their moves, and know when and which way to swipe when they set up for a spin. Players are much more random and difficult, but you can rapid-test the basics.

5) If you are being overwhelmed, throw out a Push for no reason. They will resist it, probably, but it will give you a split second to take a step back and reset. If it knocks them on their ass, if gives you several seconds. :-) Well, unless you want to be no fun and shop them when they are down.

Originally posted by toolboi

not much faster than the medium stance.

Actually it seems to me that the fast stance is SLOWER than the medium stance for a single swing, its just that you can get mad combos... which in truth is pretty useless as while you "comboing" the other guy can forcepush you...

The "combo" system in Light isn't that great if you are looking at playing defensively. A defensive player will make one or two precise strikes that they KNOW will hit their enemy. Combos work best for Dark Jedi using Rage, and people who randomly swing.

Archived