Home

Who can i pay to get rid of the billions of popups?

Akhilles

This forums is amazing.. ads even at the "thank you for posting" page... ugh. I actually had to find an ad closer program JUST for this forum!

Show me where to sign up and send money so I can peruse the forums in peace, I hate.. no, DESPISE popups even popunders.

For some strange reason, they think "popunders" are non-intrusive.. but they have never tried to sit and read a forum.. and get a flash (where the window is created on top then is sent under the current browser) that's just annoying.

If you just let them go.. browse 20 or 30 messages, a couple replies.. and you have like 20+ popunders open.. its abusive of the person coming to your site. I hate banner ads to, but they are far more welcome than the popups, popunders and popyouintheface ads are. :c3po:

Originally posted by Soul-Burn

Haven't seen a single popup/popunder... only banners...

Maybe because I use Mozilla as my web-browser and set in the options not to let the pages automatically open windows (hence, no popups).

For info, http://www.mozilla.org

Thanks SB, but I develop with IE and since its the only web browser that renders pages correctly, lines up grids, etc. it's the only one I use. Opera is a close second, but like Mozilla/Netscape, it has its problems.

I hate the popups too, I really like IE and wish there was some kind of program you could integrate into it that would kill these mindless popups, we see tons of ads of the threads anyways, why the popups too??? I have never once clicked on one and bought something from em.

Originally posted by ps2maddenman

I hate the popups too, I really like IE and wish there was some kind of program you could integrate into it that would kill these mindless popups, we see tons of ads of the threads anyways, why the popups too??? I have never once clicked on one and bought something from em.

You need to check out a little program called WebWasher. Kills popups, ads, cookies, and a whole lot of other good stuff. Free for non-commercial use.

but I develop with IE and since its the only web browser that renders pages correctly, lines up grids, etc.

Well... I tried to stop myself... but here it goes...

[RANT]

WTF ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT ?@#%#?@%^?@#^?@#^@#$?%^

IE shows pages "right" when the page is NOT STANDARD... you don't understand Microsoft made these "Standards" so other browser will have trouble showing them????

Mozilla is the ONLY browser which fully complies with the HTML standards. Pages "made for IE" ARE NOT STANDARD and by IE being not standard either, it shows up "right"...

I use IE RARELY, when there's some site I have be in and it's not standard. I NEVER browse with IE to unknown sites since it's a huge security hole, and doesn't support popup disabling.

[/RANT]

I have had to deal with popups for a long time, and there are programs that are available that work in the background and simply stop the function which pops up windows from functioning (heh). I do this when I am browsing hacking sites (lets not get into THAT argument here) and they are lacking money, so they go with popups.

PopUp Killer 1.45 @ CNET

Pop-Up Stopper 2.6 @ CNET

Pop-Up Stopper 2.6 @ CNET

Some of these programs have an ability to block ads too, a great help if you are on dial-up (it does not even download the graphic)

Well as a web designer & developer I despise pop-up killers. For one, I do not ever have ad's on the sites I build... However, I do use pop-ups.

Almost 90% of my Flash Websites are deployed from a pop-up

Announcements & Updates are deployed when the site is opened through a popup.

The Shopping Cart we developed uses a popup for "cart" information.

There is a ton of things that you can do through pop-ups that aren't ads. I avidly suggest that you turn off your pop-up killer until you goto a site that you know has ad's. Otherwise, you will miss out on some of the most phenomenal flash sites around as well as important information.

I also noticed this forum untilizes a double launch: when the pages is opened and when the page has completely loaded. That way.. even if you x out of it before the page is loaded, it will be back before you know it.

My first post and I'm more than happy to chime in about this. Pop Ups I can understand. What I can't understand is a pop up for every single time we click a link. This is called spam. Spammers suck. I can understand a pop up here and there, but flood me with crap, and I'm more likely to flush it than eat it up. Get the picture guys? Stop spamming and find a legitimate way to do this.

[RANT]

IE shows pages "right" when the page is NOT STANDARD... you don't understand Microsoft made these "Standards" so other browser will have trouble showing them????

Mozilla is the ONLY browser which fully complies with the HTML standards. Pages "made for IE" ARE NOT STANDARD and by IE being not standard either, it shows up "right"...

I use IE RARELY, when there's some site I have be in and it's not standard. I NEVER browse with IE to unknown sites since it's a huge security hole, and doesn't support popup disabling.

[/RANT]

w3c is the site for standards, css, html, Mozilla/Netscape/Opera all have problems rendering pages correctly, plain and simple. If you deny that, then you don't develop web applications on a daily basis. I always have to program around Netscape and Opera to get them to play ball. Mozilla is a nice toy but its not a standard platform that businesses use.

I really don't understand the fuss here. I've never gotten more than a few popups at any one visit to these forums. I do see a ton of people complaining about it though, so maybe it's just me.

But I think people are missing the point here. They don't put popups on the forums just to annoy the hell out of you. They need money. They just put LucasForums on its own server. These things and broadband cost money. I mean, it boils down to this: you could have these forums that go along at a good speed with its ads, or you could have a message board that is functional 1/4 of the day. I know what I would choose. And at least they took down the annoying banners that ran down the sides of the page.

A suggestion I could make to the people who run the site would be to allow people to donate money to the site. Sort of like the deal Penny-Arcade has going. You can donate any amount of money per month to pay for their server and broadband. Now, granted, not everybody would do this, but it may be enough so you can take down some of the ads. Just my two cents.

[RANT]

[/RANT]

There is NO DOUBT that you dont develop web based applications. Netscape alone must cost the development industry about a billion dollars a year in recovery costs. The w3 standards are restrictive and very limited. IE is a looser browser and allows for minor errors - which allows for sloppy coding - but i does render more true to the intended form.

btw... the popups on this site are brutal. been here about 5 minutes and i have 13 popups :(

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Kyuss

Well as a web designer & developer I despise pop-up killers. For one, I do not ever have ad's on the sites I build... However, I do use pop-ups.

There is a ton of things that you can do through pop-ups that aren't ads. I avidly suggest that you turn off your pop-up killer until you goto a site that you know has ad's. Otherwise, you will miss out on some of the most phenomenal flash sites around as well as important information.

I use Zero-Popup, which allows me the flexibility to 'enable' by link or by site.

I understand your frustration, since you've put a ton of time into your site, but it seems that the 'ads-enabled' sites outnumber sites like yours by a huge margin.....

Word. What I don't understand is why advertisers continue to use this form of advertising when they MUST know that it pisses people off. I have NEVER and will NEVER click on a popup. Banners? I LOVE banners. I have clicked on several banners that have been advertising for various thing... why? Because it becomes MY choice of what Im looking at. I look at a banner and ... "Oh... I would like to check out that tax service... click" But when that window opens and takes over my browser I want the people responsible dead. I hate when things take over what Im doing.

I've been /RANTING/ on this topic for quite some time now and actually I think I have now successfully killed the popups.

See the thread started by DESSLOCK in this forum. He recommends setting your IE Security to "High". I found that prevented me from being able to download files from the net, so I lowered my setting to "Medium"

Now I am not getting ANY of the popups on this forum. (Prior to making this configuration change I always used "Low" security setting - I'm using IE 6 by the way).

Try it out- Hope that helps with the frustration. After reading this thread I also want to try out Opera and Mozilla - They have got to be better than M$ IE (nothing could be worse ;-) )

DA

I use popup killer but this site actually made a work around so that some of the popups can not be added to my list. Pop Ups are as stupid as the dot.coms that went bust. Poor advertising, Ignoarant management and complete idiots that don't have a clue as to how to attract a consumer. JUST SPAM duhh its cheap its easy duhhhhh I buy into pryimid schemes too duhhh. The mentality of popup spamers shows a double digit IQ. A person would have to be retarted to respond to one just like spam email. Using my IE browser setting at medium I still get a whole lot of popups that are linked to the site in a way that my popup killer can not delete them because they are titled to the lucas art foram. Sucks bad and it shows that some scum bag spamer is running these forams.

Archived