Home

Memory leaks in linux binary

Ghent99

Hey all,

Anyone noticed the memory leaks in the linux dedicated server binary? I run a full 16 player server, and on my 1Ghz Athlon server with 512M of RAM, Red Hat 7.1, it takes about 12 hours for the jk2 binary to eat up all the RAM:

total used free shared buffers cached

Mem: 514748 497336 17412 0 19500 330084

-/+ buffers/cache: 147752 366996

Swap: 1052216 620 1051596

Anyone else noticed this?

i haven't

i've had mine up all night ( 10 hours now) running on a Debian / Woody server

after the 10 hours its using the same amount as when i went to sleep

4.7% of 512M

i'm actually suprised at how little of the CPU it uses too..

granted i'm only running a 6 client duel server but it is only using 10% of the CPU most at any one time.

I run a 16 public 4 private player server (20 slots total), and it's maxed pretty much all the time. My CPU usage is extremely low (never more then .005). I ran the server for 5 days straight with no issues at all, on kernel 2.4.12, compiled and upgraded to 2.4.18, and now I have this problem. The JKII server stays online for about 46 hours before it fills up my RAM.

I'm always a bit behind the kernel updates....I like to let other people find the bugs. ;) I'm on 2.4.7-10 and don't have any problems with memory leaks and JK2. It gets crashed every so often by kids with the script...but I have it running inside a csh script that restarts it within 5 seconds of it going down. ;)

I run it on 2.4.18 as well, I notice issues only post-48 hours. Mayhaps it's a combination of factors? That's for brighter folks than I to determine...

Regardless, I wouldn't hold my breath for a Raven patch, it's stated pretty clearly that the dedicated server binaries are unsupported. Hell, Raven's own "support" forum doesn't even mention JK2.

oy

-h

Dedicated game server software is very infrequently "supported", but by that they mean if it doesn't work you can't come after them for it. At the end of the day, if there wasn't a bunch of people willing to put up dedicated servers....the multiplayer aspect of any game would be dead and sales of that game would drop like a brick. Therefore, it's in the publisher/developer's best interest to update their game, as well as the server software that it uses.

Archived