Home

Linux client?

Ghazgkull

Also, I don't understand why NOT port it to linux. If it's based on quake3, it should be NO PROBLEM at all to make it work under linux (as q3 runs like a dream).

The problem here is that Loki, who made the linux port for Quake III (and Heavy Metal: F.A.K.K. 2), went out of business some time ago. :(

Not wishing to be rude, but expecting Linux users to have run wine is nothing short of a cop-out by the developers. I don't currently use Wine because there are plenty good enough apps on Linux without needing to emulate windows and use that.

I appreciate its not a five minutes job to port the engine (god knows I done it myself before), but neither is it uncharted territory for the Quake III Engine. I'm sure the effort would justify the reward. I would quite willing buy a copy if it were done (despite already having access to JKII for Win32).

And for those people who don't know loki doesn't excist anymore well there are others who continued their work. And the porting shouldn't be a problem coz the q3 engine has been ported already to linux so they could use that to port JK2. I hope they'll port the game soon i'd pay for a linux version.

No offense to Linux advocates or anything, I have a linux machine running at home, but I think Loki showed that making money off of Linux ports isn't as easy as it looks to the casual observer. The relatively small community of Linux zealots who won't bend their principles and buy the Win32 version don't warrant the expense of a port.

Originally posted by The_Wounded

Uhm well this game can be ported at low costs coz the engine (q3 engine) is already ported they just have to try to get the source from the porting from the q3 people then it can be ported easilly. :atat:

In your line of reasoning the making of the Win32 version would be low cost and easy too because the engine already excists...

Making a Linux port doesn't require actually putting a Linux version on store shelves (though I'd be all over this! :)). Return to Castle Wolfenstein (also based on the Q3 engine) is available for Linux, but they only ship a Win32 CD. You just buy the CD, snag the maps from it, and install the point releases that they make available for Linux.

- Ghaz

dont count on it.

whats wrong with wineX? porting quake3 based openGL games is one thing. But to expect developers to port over directX games is a pipe dream. WineX is a god send as long as it works somewhat the way it should. If you look at the list of games on transgamings site, there are a ton of games with a 4 compatibility. To me a 4 in wineX is about as stable as any windows game with maybe a few anomilies here n there.

give up the zealotry. wine is not an emulator! It doesnt even need to have windows installed anywhere on your machine.

/rant

Regarding the comment about Loki, the failure of a single company doesn't say anything about the market in general. The demise of Loki was largely due to bad business decisions. Here's a recent article describing what happened to Loki.

Regarding the comments about winex, Linux users are people who won't settle for second best - that's why they run Linux in the first place. A game running in winex, isn't the same as a game running natively.

- Ghaz

Originally posted by Seryl Cann

In your line of reasoning the making of the Win32 version would be low cost and easy too because the engine already excists...

Did you even pause to consider that's maybe why they used an engine like the q3 engine rather than making one themselves?

No need to reinvent the wheel.

And by the way, q3 was coded in linux and then ported to win32.

:D

/slaveOne

Originally posted by slaveOne

Did you even pause to consider that's maybe why they used an engine like the q3 engine rather than making one themselves?

No need to reinvent the wheel.

And by the way, q3 was coded in linux and then ported to linux.

:D

/slaveOne

q3 coded in linux? uhmm no. carmack had a long write up on why he doesnt develop under linux around the same time q3 was released. according to him he uses NT/2k for all his software development.

Regarding the comments about winex, Linux users are people who won't settle for second best - that's why they run Linux in the first place. A game running in winex, isn't the same as a game running natively.
youre already settling for second best. BSD > linux.

What i said was that q3 is ported not created for linux the only the binaries have to be changed. So only a installer is needed to be able to install it for linux just like Q3 has it's about 26Megs and installs the game from the windows version cd so it is possible for JK2.

There really is no use in talking about this anyway, cos LEC is never going to pay anything for the development of a Linux client. It doesn't matter if it's easy or cheap or not, they just won't. They'd sooner release a mac client or an X-Box client than a Linux version.

So unless someone at Raven makes a Linux client in their own time and confinces LEC not to sue the pants off of him, there won't any Linux client.

Archived