Home

Graphical Stuttering

topreacher

First off, I'm very much a techie, so get as technical as you want in your responses.

Secondly, my system specs

PIII-933mHz

256mB 133-mHz RAM

Hercules 3D Prophet 4500 64mB AGP (Kryo II chipset)

SBLive! X-Gamer

Maxtor 40GB HDD (C: )

Maxtor 30GB HDD (D: E: F: )

Toshiba 5x DVD (H: )

Plextor 12/10/32A (I: )

Win98SE

Game installed fine on Monday. Ran great, with no glitches ... up until yesterday. Then it began ... well, the only word I can come up with is "stuttering." The sound will loop the last second of sound, the screen freezes, and no response from player controls. This goes on for a second, maybe two, and then everything is perfectly OK. This happens in both Single-Player and Multi-Player (Internet, LAN, and alone with bots).

I've got the latest drivers for my video card, for my audio card, and DirectX 8.1a, and due to the fact that it happens in both SP and MP, it's not my network card.

I've tried changing resolutions and graphical/sound quality. No luck. Reinstalling game. No luck.

:swear:

The incredibly weird thing I can't understand is the rest of my computer is perfectly fine. I can run whatever other game I want (UT, Q3A, Counter-Strike, Serious Sam, etc.) all without a hitch at 1024x768 with High detail at 70+ fps...

ANYONE who can help me out, I'd be GREATLY appreciative! Thanks!

If it makes you feel better, I have this exact same problem. Does anybody here notice the mouse hourglass comes up during gameplay?

I really think raven needs to release a patch soon. This is an awesome game. Granted I can only play in 5 minute intervals before it eventually crashes my computer.

PIII 733

256 RAM

Western Digital 30 GB hard drive

SB Audiggy

ATI Radeon 7200.

Here is my specs...

Athlon 600

128mb ram pc133

20gb total HDD

Geforce 2 mx400

w/ 27.30 Nvidia drivers

WindowsXP Home

I played through for 30 minutes with no problem through the Artus mine. Then i just played for about an 20 or 30 minute period and when i met Luke skywalker at Yavin the game froze for a minute or two(the usual Sound looping and game freezing) then i was able to play again. Also i see that my HDD goes nuts when it freezes. I also see that the Shadows are screwwd up severly(sp?). Anyway im enjoying the game... I'll just patiently wait on a patch!!

Whell Gondor's problem isn't tat hard to fix. Simple answer is that you need more ram. The game stuters because all your physical ram is taken up and the game needs to use the swap file on your hard drive(virtual memory) to meet the ram needs. Getting more memory and you game should run fine. Every Nt type os (xp, 200, nt) user should have atleast 256 megs of memery in their computer due to the increased needs of the nt oses compared to the 9x oses.

As for the others I am not sure how to fix yours. I do wonder what drivers JediDrew is using with the 7200. Granted I sold my ati radeon 64 vivo right before getting this game but I still somewhat have a clue about ati cards. I wonder if you are using official ones or beta ones from Rage3d.com? The forums at Rage3d.com might be a good place to ask if anybody else is having simular problems. Oh well it is almost 3 am so I am falling asleep at the keyboard.

Sorry topreacher that I can't offer any help to you right now.

Oh well I hope you all get your problems fixed. This game is great when it works. :)

the problem isn't the RAM. i've got a PIII-600 with 768 Mb RAM, and an ATI All-in-Wonder RADEON AGP card with 32MB RAM.

This game just isn't ready for release yet. Plain and simple. The content of the game looks and is completely awesome. But it doesn't run anywhere near as well as, say, Half-Life. Please don't think I'm a Half-Life fanboy. Sure, I liked the game, but I LOVE Starwars. I've been so pumped about JKII for a while and what a disappointment - it doesn't run anywhere near as smooth as HL. It stutters, is kind of jaggy, and just doesn't play smooth at all. I can't imagine that my hardware isn't up to the task. I am so disappointed with this game...

I agree that maybe the game could have used some optimizing and debugging before it was released. Look, I don't mind dropping my details down, but to have the game crash without fail at least every 30 minutes is inexcusable.

However, I don't think it's fair to compare the smoothness of Half-Life (which is almost 4 years old) to a brand new game like JO. Of course JO is gonna tax your system more.

Is it mostly people with radeon-based cards who have frequent lock-ups or do GeForce cards have the same problem?

BTW, and news on a possible patch?

I had 256mb but one stick came up to be bad. So i have 128mb... Anyway i think it might be a combination of things ram and overall bugs in the game. I don't think just being like very dissapointed in the game. I would be ticked off that Raven didn't take time for optimizing. Although i would think Lucasarts is partly to blame. Cause they may have pressured Raven to release it. So im not ticked off im just patiently waiting...

Hi!

System:

AMD 1500+, 256 Mb DDRram, Geforce GTS, XP pro and half a gig to spare on C: and the partition where the game is installed, virusprot. is turned off.

The game stutters when sound is accessed, when opening a door, etc. It doesn't matter if I'm inside or outside. The harddrive is not accessed when stutter occurs.

GIVE ME A PATCH! :eek:

BTW, loading times is horrible.

Raven sure is taking their time in answering our concerns in this forums. :confused:

My system specs

p3 850@950

sblive value

Geforce 3 ti200 @275x436

348mb pc133

win98se

I have experienced no stutters of the kind that you are describing. The game does slowdown a bit when you get a lot of action on the screen but nothing that isn't normal. In my experience as a pc repair technician those kind of stutters are usually caused by a rogue tsr(program that runs in the background), scanner tsr's are horrible for that, but there are lots of other ones that will do that too. Go into your msconfig and disable all that extra stuff just to see if that might be causing your problem. Just a suggesion. BTW. My friend is playing on a kyro II with win98se and the sparks from the lightsaber just kill framerate.

I'm having the same problem though it shows up mostly when there are other charcters onscreen. If no other items are moving it's not a problem.

My system:

P4 1.6GHz

256 MB RAM

Hercules 3d prophet 4500 (Kyro II 64MB)

Sound blaster Live Value

Windows XP pro

I have had some luck by turning all graphic setting down to medium.

Originally posted by topreacher

First off, I'm very much a techie, so get as technical as you want in your responses.

Secondly, my system specs

PIII-933mHz

256mB 133-mHz RAM

Hercules 3D Prophet 4500 64mB AGP (Kryo II chipset)

SBLive! X-Gamer

Maxtor 40GB HDD (C: )

Maxtor 30GB HDD (D: E: F: )

Toshiba 5x DVD (H: )

Plextor 12/10/32A (I: )

Win98SE

Game installed fine on Monday. Ran great, with no glitches ... up until yesterday. Then it began ... well, the only word I can come up with is "stuttering." The sound will loop the last second of sound, the screen freezes, and no response from player controls. This goes on for a second, maybe two, and then everything is perfectly OK. This happens in both Single-Player and Multi-Player (Internet, LAN, and alone with bots).

I've got the latest drivers for my video card, for my audio card, and DirectX 8.1a, and due to the fact that it happens in both SP and MP, it's not my network card.

I've tried changing resolutions and graphical/sound quality. No luck. Reinstalling game. No luck.

:swear:

The incredibly weird thing I can't understand is the rest of my computer is perfectly fine. I can run whatever other game I want (UT, Q3A, Counter-Strike, Serious Sam, etc.) all without a hitch at 1024x768 with High detail at 70+ fps...

ANYONE who can help me out, I'd be GREATLY appreciative! Thanks!

I get the same thing, but I thnk I know what it is, working on it later tonight maybe, after work. I believe the sound is buffered off the CD. Possible solution is to figure out how to copy it and make the computer use the hard drive verion, though it might be in the pk3 files and the zip may be taking a second or two also.

Originally posted by JediDrew

I agree that maybe the game could have used some optimizing and debugging before it was released. Look, I don't mind dropping my details down, but to have the game crash without fail at least every 30 minutes is inexcusable.

However, I don't think it's fair to compare the smoothness of Half-Life (which is almost 4 years old) to a brand new game like JO. Of course JO is gonna tax your system more.

Is it mostly people with radeon-based cards who have frequent lock-ups or do GeForce cards have the same problem?

BTW, and news on a possible patch?

Dude, I am gonna bet that's HEAT related. One way to find out, remove the side of your case, aim a box fan [not directly, angled now] at it, put it on high and test it out.

I had a similar problem which I described in the 'Freezing' thread. In my case teh problem was the SBLive! card did not work well with the VIA 686b chipset on my motherboard. Installing the "Georges PCI Latency Patch" from VIAHardware.com seems to have cleared up the problem. In a nutshell, the SBLive! card does not support Bus mastering all that well and hogs the PCI bus causing conflicts with the IDE controller. This is ecarcebated by the VIA 686b chipset which can cause audio skipping and data corruption.

Originally posted by Vypr

I had a similar problem which I described in the 'Freezing' thread. In my case teh problem was the SBLive! card did not work well with the VIA 686b chipset on my motherboard. Installing the "Georges PCI Latency Patch" from VIAHardware.com seems to have cleared up the problem. In a nutshell, the SBLive! card does not support Bus mastering all that well and hogs the PCI bus causing conflicts with the IDE controller. This is ecarcebated by the VIA 686b chipset which can cause audio skipping and data corruption.

From memory don't the recent via 4.-n-1 drivers already have his fix incorporated in them?

Originally posted by Vypr

it was supposed to have been included in 4.31 and above but when ti was tested in comparison to the Georges patch it was shown to have not made one blind bit of difference.

If you look at the third page of the link I posted they show that the Georges patch at least stopped the data corruption problem, which the updated drivers did not.

Archived