Home

Please make better net code

Guest Syclonix

Guest Syclonix

Playing on a cable modem and it is still laggy on most servers I join even though the ping is displayed under 100. I've also put down all my settings when playing multiplayer and it doesn't help, turn on the net graph and see for yourselves. I hope multiplayer will be a more enjoyable experience with the next patch (that WILL *waves hand across* include better net code).

i use a 56k modem ..... wait i here you all gasp. I get pings of 200-300 and it is very playable. i come first or second in most of my duels :) (usually second :p) so i can't see from my angle what the problem is. i would kill for high speed connection !!!

most of my other shooters : MOHAA RTCW are completely unplayble online but this is so cool it works fine!

Guest Syclonix

Using a netgear hub, but that's not the point, you may be running smoothly because your system is top notch. Games such as Half-Life and Return to Castle Wolfenstine are examples of some excellent net code, even people with regular 56k modems can play these games.

On a sidenote, does anyone find multiplayer to be any fun? I'm getting a feeling that its just the same ol deathmatching with a few new weapons, or maybe I just haven't played enough MP.

I had awful, awful lag until I lowered the graphics settings. I'm on very good DSL... I was at 1024, High/Very High textures, trilinear buffering in both SP and MP, but while it ran great in SP, MP was slow as hell. Try fidgeting with your graphics settings.

And MP can be fun, but I prefer like CTF or some team objective type thing. FFA is totally random, and that's where your Drain whores spend most of their time, I think...

I have cable and have no problems. Lag isn't just caused by bad pings. There are tons of factors that can cause lag. Your computer system is one of the most important factors.

And just because LEC says it shouldn't be played with 56k modems doesn't mean it can't be played with 56k modems. I haven't seen it on a 56k modem, but I've heard it's perfectly playable if you've on a good server.

Multiplayer is fun, but dueling can get boring pretty quickly for a lot of people. What I hope is that this game will get a big clan community that plays capture the flag and capture the ysalimiri against each other.

The lag, I find, isn't awful, but it could be improved. The sabre fights seem really stiff to me at times... maybe that's the way they're supposed to be, but they're not as fluid as in SP.

I also do get connection problems every now and then. I've had worse in other games, but not by much. :)

AFAIK JediOutcast is using the very excellent QIII netcode, so I don't think that there is any reason to complain.

Having DSL (NO fastpath ... *whimper* d**n that phone company) myself, I'm very pleased with my pings. 80-100ms is perfectly normal - or rather GREAT to me. :D

Digital_Ronin

I do have a top notch system and I still lag out even on the same cable network, netcode does need some tweaking. AS for links routers...I would guess 70% or higher use this router.

2.4 norhtwood not overclocked

i845 MB w500 watts

2 gig memory

SB audigy w/5.1 Digital sound

3com earthnet

GF3 ti4600 64 megs

IBM 60 & 80 gig HD

2 Plextor CDR

:sweating:

Originally posted by Syclonix

Using a netgear hub, but that's not the point, you may be running smoothly because your system is top notch. Games such as Half-Life and Return to Castle Wolfenstine are examples of some excellent net code, even people with regular 56k modems can play these games.

On a sidenote, does anyone find multiplayer to be any fun? I'm getting a feeling that its just the same ol deathmatching with a few new weapons, or maybe I just haven't played enough MP.

Return to Castle Wolfenstien is on the Quake 3 engine, it's using the quake 3 netcode.

Jedi Knight II is on the Quake 3 engine, it's using the quake 3 netcode.

In regards to your comment about half-life having excellent netcode, client prediction? eww, no thanks. I'd rather not see that in JK2. Why? Because it favours dialuppers so much over cablers (its been proven in halflife and counter-strike, being shot by a dialupper after you've moved round a corner is serious bs).

my gaming in jk2 is always nice.

I think some of the problems with lag on a low-ping connection, is not the connection itself, but that some people are setting up 32 player servers on machines that can't handle 32 players. Many times have I started on a server that had maybe 10 players and everything's smooth, but as more people jumped on, the game started to chug. Yet, there are other times that I've been on a large capacity crowded server and everything's fine. I even remember finding one that couldn't handle any more than 3 people. Every time a 4th would jump on, it'd bring the server to it's knees. Needless to say, that game didn't last long. ;)

well i play with pings of up too 300 sometimes, but they never die when i dont hit them (like JK) when i hit them with the sabre they take damage, even if they do jump around a bit... i think the netcode is pretty good in fact, that said, of course there is always room for impovement..:D

Originally posted by Mattman

I think some of the problems with lag on a low-ping connection, is not the connection itself, but that some people are setting up 32 player servers on machines that can't handle 32 players. Many times have I started on a server that had maybe 10 players and everything's smooth, but as more people jumped on, the game started to chug. Yet, there are other times that I've been on a large capacity crowded server and everything's fine. I even remember finding one that couldn't handle any more than 3 people. Every time a 4th would jump on, it'd bring the server to it's knees. Needless to say, that game didn't last long. ;)

This has to do with the up- and downstream capability. Every player on a server adds about 50kbit/s of data. I have cable with a 128kbit/s upstream (like alot of people). It's fast, but because of the limited upstream if I would have a server I could only have a maximum of 2 or 3 people on it.

People seem to put 16 or 32 people servers on lines that can't handle that and complain about it blaming the netcode.

Guest Syclonix

First off I know RTCW is based on the Q3 engine but you know people do tweak it differently, did you know Half-Life is based on the Q2 engine? It partcally looks like its own since valve overhauled it so much. Anyways about the servers can we get a better in game browser, maybe to include which servers are dedicated? And how can I change the text size? Bigger isn't always better just annoying

Guest Syclonix

Well I don't seem to be the only one lagging. Besides my connection is perfectly fine I've been using it for a year and a half with no problems what so ever. And in other online FPS's my ping is below 80. Face it--Raven was pressured for time in making JKO they even admit that in their interviews. But now that the game's out it will be possible for them to release some pacthes to make it better. Why are you against a better netcode anyways? If you already have a stable connection what bad will it do to make it faster?

1. MP is fun because of lightsabers, SW weapons and the awesome traps on the Death Star Level :D

2. Return to Castle Wolfenstein has the same netcode as JK2. Both games run on the Quake 3 Team Arena engine.

Archived