Home

Dueling Psychology...

[PMV] Joker

I should make a caveat to my earlier remarks. Pyschology is important.

There was a chess champion in the middle of the last century (1950s or so). He would deliberately play "inferior but provoking" moves just to upset his opponent's thinking. He won many matches by getting his opponent flustered.

Duel games are as much about making your opponent make mistakes out of uneasiness as much as about skill.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've seen people get psyched out WHILE WAITING to duel, because Joker or someone else was using this taunting routine, and the whole aura bit. It may seem ludicrous, but if you are winning and pulling it off right, it makes you seem all the better, and really heightens the tension in a match, making for, I think, a better playing experience.

[PMV] Animal Mother

I was dueling someone good the other day (don't remember the name), but they did a good job of knocking my game plan off. I usually wait for my opponent to make the first move. It gives me a good indication of how they play. Well, this one person just stood his/her ground as we dueled. We must have faced each other for what seemed like minutes. He just stood there with the saber ready watching me move. I know it doesn't sound like much, but it really got me off my game. I just looked at him and thought, what move is he going to hammer me with when I move in to him? I don't know if he had seen me fight before, but I get a lot of kills by sitting back and letting the opponent come to me.

Of course I lost that duel but learned a valuable lesson and had fun!

I agree with the idea of turning the lightsaber off. Once in a while I stand on a spot on the map where most can see me waiting for a challenge. I was amazed at how many people avoided me completely! Of course when doing this you need to watch yourself for saber throwers and such. I've actually gotten a few kills on people who thought they were going to kill me without a fight. As they closed in, I lit the saber and put them down.

I will have to say, that I heartily enjoy freaking my opponents out...there is absolutely no better feeling than when you turn off your light saber and slowly walk toward your opponent taunting him...and he runs...

It's so beautiful, granted, only newbies will probably run...but it still makes you feel like some kind of an uber-hero or something...I particularly enjoy using Desann and doing this...I can't wait until a good Darth Vader or Darth Maul skin comes out. There's a Maul skin right now, and its pretty good, but its not done right, they just changed the reborn's looks so all reborn look that way...

Intimidation, lmao

Its a computer game.

Thats why its the n00biest thing I have ever read.

If someone turning of their saber or whatever else you mentioned messes with your head, you have problems.

I do the majority it as well, it just adds to the flavor. Call me a noob if you will (I've been a gamer since pong, but if you insist) but it helps me enjoy the game that much more. I've even started calling the people who do this "Purists", silly I know. These people are much more fun to game against that the fellow who waits by the ledge with grip ready to grab all that come close, or the person who runs around doing nothing but casting lightning.

I even take it as far as not using force at all, maybe the occasional heal in a tight spot ;) . Does it get me killed, sometimes it does, but nothing beat the feeling of fighting four on one and dropping all of them with saber alone. Or I should say dropping two or three before someone you killed earlier comes back and starts firing missles, killing you and his teammates.

Either way there is nothing noobish (is that a word?) about it. It's just a game, enjoy it any way you can, that's what it was made for. Just remember the above if you see this moniker in-game, and try to be gentle ;)

i go about duels my own way.I hear you people talkin about wait for this wait for that when i see ready im on yo a$$ i always attack first and i do pretty good in duels .So when you duel me be ready.I also dont evn bother with strong stance too slow for me i like light stance.

I am Naeblis

Psycology is important to duels as getting your opponent flustered can help you, but I would never turn my saber off in a dual no matter what happens unless I need to hide and regain energy, as you leave yourself open to being charged and hacked (a mistake many dualists make when their saber is off) and if you dodge to the side when they do turn on their saber you can usually avoid that.

It depends on the person. The way you fight may add style to new fighters but its dangerous IMO to use it all the time as the most important thing in duals is to remain focused on your enemy, not the style, and if your busy trying to out-psyke someone then your likely to end up in pieces from people like me.

I was playing on a server this morning, where some of the regulars have this really cool habit.

they turn of their saber, walk to eachother and then crowch. Then they look all the way down, and back up, as if they bow to eachother. Then stand up, and the duel starts...

offcourse I was more then willing to engage in this ritual.. isn't is the best???

All those guys laughing at Joker obviously haven't played enough duels - and I'm thinking about FPS in general here, as JKII is not old enough for the real talent to dominate yet. Thinking back to the old Q2 days - I'm convinced at least 30% of the technique of top duellists was psychological. They'd chaingun the guy in the water - as you get fragged and can't see from where, frag him bit by bit with the super shot from a great distance, make "fake" pickup noises by dropping stuff and picking it up again, drop weapons on the ground in big piles - this almost always works - even if it;s only for a split second, they are distracted by it - newbies will even go and pick it up (which is when you rail em).

He's not doing this to look cocky (well maybe a bit) - it actually does help. As he said, the actual fighting is a bit random to say the least, but if you perceive your opponent as the most highly skilled on the server - you will almost expect to lose - I've seen it happen, and felt it when duelling "famous" (in their own luchtime, but famous where Q2 was concerned) players - they own your ass before the game starts. I'm also fairly convinced we one many a team 4v4 game in Q2 by demolishing some lower-skill clan in practice and making sure they went to tell the other guys.

Besides - like the man says - it's Star Wars - it'd be nice if people would "play the role" a bit, walk the walk and talk the talk so to speak.

Mind you, in a JKII CTF match, don't get the idea that I won't be charging in toting a rocket launcher, a heavy blaster, and that thing that chucks out grenades :) as someone once (almost) said "Young fool, only at the end do you understand the power of.....a bloody big gun!"

thats all these dumbass duel things are. And the worst is when they ask for no force on a force server i really cant stand it. And as of yet there has been noone who uses it that has ever beaten me on a regular occaison, when they do it i ****ing laugh at them, i dont fear them lol.

Originally posted by GreyJedi

There was a chess champion in the middle of the last century (1950s or so). He would deliberately play "inferior but provoking" moves just to upset his opponent's thinking. He won many matches by getting his opponent flustered.

I heard of something similar where a guy would smoke really bad cigars to annoy his opponent... pretty funny :p

Nice stuff Joker - it's good to see there is some Roleplaying in this game.

The other day I was playing old Jedi Knight 1 and my brother would charge at me with a lightsaber on Canyon Oasis and just as he would do that, I would turn on persuasion and turn invisible. Then I would stalk him using the fists and punch him as he's looking around for me madly :D

my god this thread is so stupid and pathetic that i could not resist the urge to register for the forums to say just that. i have never heard of anything more stupid, idiotic, <insert negative, childish geeklike behavior here>. just don't forget the most important steps of 'online duelling psychology' 1. check for penis 2. look in mirror, it's probably time for some sun.

-_- Then go ahead and don't do it. Meanwhile those of us who like to get more into the game will.

I personally preffer to turn my saber off and taunt from a high place, jump down and slowly walk towards them(you could option to taunt here instead), turn my saber on as I get closer, and begin. Though It's always fun to pace with your oppenent around the pit. :D

And it kinda makes you opponent look stupid if you fight the first bit of the fight standing still :p

I must say it is more cool to kill than be killed but what the heck is the enjoyment if you can't look cool at the same time. I hate those people that sit at the top of a ramp and drain/grip people off platforms. Yeah they get a lot of kills but what's the enjoyment really? They just sit up there in the same spot, pushing people off, until like 5 people gang-rape em then they run back to the same spot. FUN!

NOT!

That might be fun for them but not for others. They just like like @#$holes more than anything. Get out and run around, use some cool taunt, run on the walls (now that is fun)!

One of the coolest tactics I've seen is to crouch in defensive in front of your opponent, when they distance is right (approximately half roll distance), roll forward past left or right shoulder and use reverse saber stab. You gotta have saber 3 but any good duelist has that. This looks really awsome when done right and the reverse stab does quite a bit of damage. First time I had this done to me I was like "Holy Sh*$, that was awsome looking!" I think the guys name was Saber who taught me that move and I think him greatly.

To all you camping people who gloat every time you kill someone the same way, GET A LIFE and learn to have a little fun w/ others.

I bet they didn't share well as kids. :p:cool:

cadoras99: "just don't forget the most important steps of 'online duelling psychology' 1. check for penis 2. look in mirror, it's probably time for some sun."

ah Internet anonymity, the greatest of all confidence boosters. And what better way for that guy to end such a profoundly influential and informative post, than to grace all with his oh so wity insight into the topic at hand. I am truly honored that he thought his information was so important, that he decided to register SOLELY for the purpose of enlightening us all. Thank you sir, you are a true gem in the community.

On a more important and intellectual note, there are strategies that can be used in the taunting/saber off poses, ones of a phsyical substance. Many people become over zealous at the sight of a saber turned off, and rush in like a bat out of hell, swinging like Barry Bonds for the fences. Nothing is more gratifying than attacking out of this saber off position, and with the correct timing, hacking the poor rushing fool into oblivion with one sweep of the saber.

To those of you who do not believe in the "dueling psychology", that is fine. You don't have to believe. You may experience it and not realize it, or, in all honesty, it may do nothing for or against you. However, I do find it hard to deny, from any viewpoint, that given the right players, "dueling psychology" provides an added bonus to the game that many FPS lack.

{PMV} Animal Mother

-Flush out your headgear new guy. You think I wasted you for "Freedom"? If I'm going to waste you for a concept, my concept is Post-Mortem Violation.

Heh...I thought you were going to mention that you could crush his skull like a grapefruit in real life. Or the ridiculous contradiction in taking the time to post something mocking somebody's "lack of a life", which is a manifestly false statement to begin with, since you were replying to me in the first place. I suppose you would say I don't have a life because I enjoy _participating_ in games instead of passively watching them in the stands or on TV. Think about that next time you buy a football ticket. And Animal, your signature still isn't showing up...

Anyway, if you've been playing regularly, I don't think you can have any doubts about this anymore. I was able to chase a guy around a server for nearly a full minute with my saber off before he finally backed himself into a corner where he pushed down and raped on the ground. And while we're still on psychology, I see a lot of people who are too willing to jump into what I would call a "fair fight" on a server with force powers. If you go in swinging...you will die. It's that simple. If you're playing me, I'll probably push you down about 10 times in the match, out of the 50 times I try to push you. And that's how you open an attack. You need to use Push/Pull/Drain/Absorb/Grip etc. If you rely on Heal and Throw alone because they're the easiest to use, you will lose.

- [PMV] Joker

Does this mean Ann Margeret isn't coming?

There might be something to dueling total strangers on a server, but if you jump on a LAN with people you know, taunting and walking around with the saber off isn't going to get you anywhere. You really need to be better than the other person if you want to make them look bad in the process of beating them... Another thing, how are you supposed to take on someone that way if they're known to overuse a combo like lvl3 drain/lvl3 lightning? I swear, next time __Sith_Master__ wins a round over me like that, I'm gonna walk up to his room and beat his skull in...

I'm not gonna say that phsycin' out works or don't work.

on some it does on some it don't, it depends on the person.

also, what's with all the bashin' people for there fightin' style, if they want to camp, let 'em, just go hide somewhere where you can see 'em and smoke 'em, they'll learn.

If they wanna use guns all the time and you don't like it, only play on saber only servers

if they "cheap" you by usin' certain force powers, just chill and figure out your own combos to use against 'em

I know it makes you mad when someone keeps killin' you the same way every time, get over it.

just try to be better than them. if it makes 'em happy to do "cheap" moves, let 'em.

it makes you happy to frag 'em, so frag 'em.

anyway, c-ya'll

if this makes anybody mad, which it shouldn't and i hope it won't, i apologize.

Animal,

come to think of it, no-one in our "little" group (can't really say little, there's about 20 of us playin' on the LAN and that number's growing) really ever uses taunts and un-ignited sabers. I should try an experiment and change my name or something and try out some of the "psyche-out" techniques, just to see what happens...

My intimidation technique is to push the guy on his ass everytime he runs at me swinging heavy stance and then I belt out like 30 "Wawana kohooni ra"s in a row

if it's a ffa server, I hide after that, and then pop out behind him taunting even more

Archived