Home

Jedi Knight 2: The Ending....erm...ok....that's it? *SPOILERS*

Kenji

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sort of. I think they should have made it so Desann isn't completly dead, gets back up then (in the cutscene) Kyle does the Obi-Wan back stab right through his gut and kills him. Then walks away without looking back.

I'm not spoiler tagging this (unless this coutns) as the thread is about the end of the game, so if you're reading, it's your own fault if something gets ruined.

I thought the ending was a little weak but not really. It's very open as to what happens to the characters. Kyle keeps his lightsaber, which is good. He and Jan go off on vacation, which is good as well. The academy is saved and all that crap which is also good.

Basically, it seems weak, but it basically has everything resolved at the same time, so in a way it's a very starwars ending. This battle is done, but you don't know if the war is over for the characters (it usually isn't ;) )

As for the cinematic ending with Desann getting up and Kyle killing him with a back thrust, that wouldn't have added much to it, and at least for me it would've made Desann look stupid (as I killed him with a back thrust ;) )

It would've been kinda cool if after the fight Kyle succeeded in turning Desann to the light side of the force though, or if maybe Tavion showed up and talked Desann into doing the right thing or whatever. (Maybe, Desann, who believes the strong are always right, would then see things as Kyle and Luke do as they are strong, so to him they must be right, which means he must be wrong..and I think I just killed my own argument with the logic loop ;) )

the ending was left open, it was a bit short tho, normally I'd get all up in arms over something like that...but..I think in JKII's case..it was more fun just GETTING there..:) I didn't want to get to the end, I wanted to keep going...

btw..one thing that bugged me...where's Luke during all this?? Was he just busy elsewhere? you think he would have deffinetly been there to stop desann. heh

I think Luke was busy fighting the reborn and shadow troopers off with his students and didn't see where Desann went to. (Remember, Kyle ran in just as Desann pushed the bleachers back and hopped down, and Desann had two shadow troopers as body guards).

Then, after that, while I'm sure Luke sensed where Desann had went, he also sensed Kyle going after him, and had faith that Kyle would succeed so he let him be to confront the demon that almost turned him to the dark side again.

In a way, Desann was almost to Kyle what that cave on Dagobah was to Luke, or the Massassi temple (the one that wasn't academy) was to Kyp. Showing him the dangers of the darkside and such. Just in a less figurative..(or more figurative) way. I dunno again, I'm just tired and typing random words. Cat, kitten, noodle, Johnny. Gah

"In a way, Desann was almost to Kyle what that cave on Dagobah was to Luke, or the Massassi temple (the one that wasn't academy) was to Kyp. Showing him the dangers of the darkside and such. Just in a less figurative..(or more figurative)"

heyy..good read into that. Makes sense.

That's exactly what Desann was.

Spoilers ahead:

The ending lacked a LOT. Like an explination for what Desann was DOING down there? He was obviously after SOMETHING... but what? Sure, the beam of light. What was it doing there? What was it? Why were there traps guarding it? Did Luke know about it?

And yeah, the ending went from really tense (fighting Desann) to happy and joyus WAAAAYYY too fast. There wasn't enough 'gloating' or saying 'Yay! You beat Desann!" going on. And all there was to acknowledge the victory was "The two mercenaries who saved the Jedi Academy". That line, and nothin' else. It's like it wasn't a big thing to anyone!

Saving an accademy of Jedi would normally be seen as something out of the ordinary....Unless of course, you happend to be Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, Leia Organa-Solo, Lando Calrissian, Mara Jade, Kyle Katarn, Jan Oars, Wedge Antilles, Wes Janson, or any other main Star Wars character you can think of.

There's been so many wild arms in the Galaxy, things like this just seems like it's all in a day's work.

;-)

Besides... Once you've blown up two Death Stars, everything else in the Galaxy just seem like easy pickings.

*PHEW*

So I'm not alone on this one. :)

Always felt quite the same. I mean JK1 and MotS both had fulminant endings - JK1 with a lot of emotion (I still see Kyle chopping that rock into his fathers statue.. *snif*) and MotS with a TOTALLY new twist : DON'T fight the big bad "end boss", but surrender to him to save him. Great!

Now on to JO... hmmm - meet Desann, slice Desann, Desann dead, all happy, Kyle go on vacation. *erh*... yes, well... maybe it's just me but Desann isn't much of a fascinating character. Might be connected to the fact that he isn't a HUMAN enemy too.

I mean fighting an oversized lizard is neat in itself, but one as a DARK JEDI?

Not sure about that, it simply wasn't... subtle(?) enough. Desann looks like the 'designated bad guy'. Nothing particularly fascinating about him... he's ugly and he's mean, but that's pretty much it.

But what I think is even more important: NO ONE DIED. I mean, is there just ONE player out there who believed that Jan was dead after that first cutscene? Get serious... If she had really died then the camera had SHOWN it. Close up, with a smiling Tavion behind to enrage the player. but this way? I always knew that she was still alive, so I somewhat lacked the rage I felt back in JK1...

Remember that f*&§% dark jedi who says

"You're weak like your father... I remember it! _I_ had the honor of taking his head and THRUSTING it on a SPIKE for all to see!!!!!! wuahahaha"

*Kyles lightsaber strikes him down*

Hell, I even hate the bad guy NOW as I write this, years later. This was simply a great dramatic moment. But in JO? Not quite...

Digital_Ronin

They should have showed Tavion out in the open with Jan, Kyle getting a nice, clean view. By all rights, Tavion should have planted her Lightsaber right through Jan. But here's the trick, Tavion stabs Jan in a non-vital area of her body - but the mere fact that Tav stabs Jan, Jan passes out from shock, we - the player - could buy into the illusion of Jan's death. It would have made the game much more emotional. If we really thought Jan was dead, we'd be right there with Kyle, dying for some pay-back. But then, we'd be elated to hear that Jan might still be alive after all (after we defeat Tavion).

I mean, Bacta plays a big part in Star Wars. They could have healed Jan right up, then do their interrigations.

But I agree. The way they originally set Jan up, I almost baught into it, but I really knew that she lived.

The ending had LOTS of loose ends for a reason.

An expansion.

They'll probably do it, and don't be surprised if Desaan returns. If not, perhaps Tavian or someone else.

I'd rather be Luke in a game to be honest over Kyle. Luke is one of my favorite characters.

Guest Forceflow

Yeah, the ending certainly wasn't the best there is. Story wise it wasn't too fascinating. I mean the game was great, but the story wasn't the most inventive thing there is. I mean that's what Star Wars always made great. And outstanding story, think about JK, it didn't had the best graphics possible at that time, but the story was just awesome! Same coutns for MotS with the best end-oss fight ever! (Name ONE game were the only way to win is to surrender!)

Overall the ending was just too clean, nobody good got killed, that's not Star Wars typical. A New Hope: Alderaan and Biggs, Empire Strikes Back, nobody got killed, but hell, that was a depressing ending nevertheless, Luke lost his hand, Han frozen, the rebellion in retreat, Return of the Jedi: Annakin Skywalker dies and Episode one, Qui-Gon dies. (And that at least Episode III will have a VERY depressing ending is a sure thing) Dark Forces, while not being depressing the ending scene with Vader meantioning that Kyle is strong in the force let us ALL hope for 'Jedi Knight' and the two endings for Jedi Knight were just awesome! Choose to be the bad guy and still win! And Of course MotS with the fantastic ending. I really expected a bit more from JO.

But well, it's still a damn good game! I guess you just can't have everyting ;)

Well, in terms of the last battle...it was similar to the battle with Jerec in JK, I thought, except without the puzzle element. Just a straightforward down-and-dirty fight. At least there was a proper cut scene at the end tying up all the loose ends - and leaving the story open for possibly another installment. (I hope.)

As for Desann's motives? I think he just had a grudge against Skywalker and wanted to tear down his Academy, then get juiced up and take on Skywalker himself. It's like the Vader/Obi-Wan scenario...they had unfinished business, and they had to resolve it. The same with Desann/Luke. What is it with these Student/Master relationships, anyway? :eyeraise:

The only problem was that Luke left Cairn base after Kyle. Remember, Kyle is aboard the Doomgiver, talking to Luke who is still on Cairn base. Luke has borrowed the Raven's Claw, which was possibly not as fast as the Doomgiver. I don't think Luke had reached the Jedi Academy when it was attacked...unless I'm missing something major here... So Kyle had to save the day.

Of course, they could have put in the old cliché, with the twitchy fingers...or a pan out to show a nest with an egg sitting in it (the twist being that Desann is of a race that can self-procreate)...but they would have been just that...old clichés. It's hard to find an ending that hasn't been done before in most movies, anyway.

As you say...it is the journey to reach the end that captures the imagination.

I too was not convinced that Jan died...specifically for the reason that her death was not shown. The real twist would have been that she had died...which would have been a brave move to kill off a popular character.

I had no problem with Desann being a lizard, though. What I would have preferred, however, was to see some of the Reborn, and some of the Jedi students, as other races. In the Jedi Academy trilogy, for example, some of the students are from other races. A Twi'lek here, a Mon Cal there, would have added even greater depth and variety. :)

Yes. Anyone who actually thought Jan was dead is far too gullible. I knew right away that they wouldn't kill her character off. After all, she plays an important role in Kyle Katarn's life, and if they want to continue the story, they'll need to keep her around.

Originally posted by Jerol Seren

the ending was left open, it was a bit short tho, normally I'd get all up in arms over something like that...but..I think in JKII's case..it was more fun just GETTING there..:) I didn't want to get to the end, I wanted to keep going...

Agreed. Most heartily. "The joy is in the journey, not the destination." I'm content with the ending, it didn't stir any great emotional threads in me, but the game did that. I didn't play it for the ending. I played it for the game. Oh, with Jan's death. I do believe now that they could have shown her getting her head removed or cut in half or some very fatal wounds, cause think about it. One of the powers of the force is making people see what's not there. That's what popped into my head when Kyle is talking to Tavion and he says, "I watched her die!" Just think of Corran Horn in "I, JEDI." There's my two bits.

I think everything was great for the money I paid. All the standard things lacking in a standard PC game but, if I were to add anything it would be all that has been mentioned. It could've been longer, I mean it only took like a week or so to beat. Cut scenes could've been better. With the technology we have now they couldn't have made the people look more normal, almost no facial expressions and the mouths moved as if they could be speaking anything. bluh bluh bluh. The ending should have been more dramatic. It felt so casual....

Luke:So ya guys did great, thanks! Catch ya later!

Kyle: Later

Jan: Late

I know they do this kinda thing all the time (whatever) but, I just spend a bunch of money, time, and energy, gimme something.

Though with all that has been said about what we wanted that we didnt get...could we have expected much more for a $40 or $50 game. From what we wanted LucasArts would've charged us like $100. :ewok:

[TKK]Sgt._Manager

PS C'mooooonnnnnn patch! :deathii:

Not to take anything away from JKII, but it was an "emotional flatliner" (as mentioned above). I like to feel some connection - some purpose - to my gaming experience, and while the main direction of the plot was fantastic, the emotional connection between the player and Kyle was missing. It sounds goofy seeing as how we're talking about a game, but the aforementioned "connection" just enraptures you and pulls you into the world the game has created.

Still, JKII is absolutely outstanding. In my mind, the SP saber battles more than make up for the lack of an "emotional connection", hehe.

{grabs his camera man and runs up with his microphone}

dougp: Excuse me! Excuse me Mr. Katarn!

Kyle: Waddya need?

dougp: Now that you've killed Desann, what are you going to do?

Kyle: We're going to Disney Galaxy!

{watches as Kyle kisses Jan}

hmmm yah, I hated the ending. Quite boring if you ask me, but oh well, leaves room for another game. BTW, Tavion is a hottie ;)

Archived