Home

Broken Sword vs. Monkey Island

Monkey Island vs. Broken Sword Which is best?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Monkey Island vs. Broken Sword Which is best?

• Monkey Island
    • Broken Sword

Personally i think MI wins hands down.

Also, about the GBA SOMI.........er yes please! Wow that would be wicked. Then more and more people would start liking MI and it would be a craze with cool people but we can all say we liked it even before the GBA came out and they'll and think we're super pirates and then the whole world will become so MI orientated that we slip back into the 13th century with pirate ships and pirate and looting and grog and pillaging and grog and rum and grog and skullduggery and grog and MONKEY ISLAND (and grog) and we all become pirates and loot and steal and ransack places and it becomes so cool and I have a ship, a crew and a map to Monkey Island and.....sorry, this is just my dream.....it's the way forward....heh.....heheheh......hehe.....:monkey1:....:monkey2:......sorry...:D !

I think the Broken Sword games are good, but they're no match for Monkey Island.

First of all, BS has a pretty boring main character. I just don't think there was much effort put into establishing any strong personality with George. Whereas with SoMI Guybrush's character is well-defined early on through conversation and his reactions to things. BS concentrates on plot and not its main character, but MI delivers on both I think. In BS, the police inspector was more interesting than George, which isn't a good thing.

Musically, MI games win hands down. I can't remember any strong tunes from the BS games. Also sometimes there were odd musical cues to suggest the plot had taken a sudden twist, when nothing that important had happened.

BS shone in its animation and had a fairly decent plot, so I don't mean to be harsh about it. I just think there are big qualitative differences in how well-produced the MI games are, compared to BS.

• 1 month later...

Monkey Island wins hands down.

I have played all 4 MI and the 2nd BS.

Monkey Island had humour, reggae , more monkeys than a woodchuck could chuck if a woodchuck could chuck monkeys.

also clever jokes only smart people will understand.:confused:

I only played Broken Sword because 1) I was bored after finishing

the MI games 2) It was cheap!!!!!!!

Unfortunately all it did was crash my computer 5 TIMES!!

Whenever it did work I found the gameplay pedestrian, uninspired, not to mention the simplicity. Coupled with the fact you can die (boy did i find that out the hard way).:swear:

:sweating:

This was tough, while Monkeys 1&2 are clearly better than either Broken Sword games, they are about parallel with 4 and much better than three. Overall despite Broken Sword's Cleverness and excellent "story-telling" approach to gameplay (that is to say the game is played as if George is telling someone about it later) it is no match for the classic Monkeys so they get my vote.

Archived