Home

Geforce 2 MX Issues

nilus1

Okay here is my problem(Let me know if this is unique)

I have a

AMD Athalon 1.4 GHZ

Geforce 2 MX 64MB RAM Video

512 RAM

Sound Blaster Live!

3Com Ethernet card

Windows 2000 Profesional(A Fresh build, I just wiped and reformatted, The only thing install are the drivers for the hardware and JDKII)

So my problem is that the farther I get in the game...the more likly it is to crash. When I say crash I get frozen screen repeating sound no Alt-Tab, No CTRL-ALT-DEL, Totally hung up PC.

Whats wierd is that it will rarely freeze up on the first mission, then it increases in the second, by the third it only lets you play for about 5 minutes.

I have heard there are issues with the Geforce 2 MX card. Can anyone ellaborate as to what the problem might be and if the Lucas Arts people have mentioned anyway to fix it(or at least keep freeze ups at over an hour)

Thanks

Dan

Same here, I also have the same exact card and the game is constantly freezing in both single and multiplayer :mad:

I even got the drivers that Kenn Hoekstra told all of us to get if we had Nvidia cards.

On a side note, it seems that Quake 3 engine games are the only games that successfully run on my new computer. Quake 1 and 2 games, GL Hexen II and Heretic II respectively, are too dark and I can't see anything. On top of that, non-Quake games like Unreal Tournament and Diablo II don't even start or run at all for me :mad:. Seems like the only games I can enjoy are Elite Force and Jedi Knight II; well, Jedi Knight II when it's not crashing that is. I got a new computer to have all my games and can't :(

Ahtlon XP 1.6 Ghz

Nvidia GeForce 2 MX 64 Mb

256 RAM

Win98 SE

Tech support told me that the game could/would lock up due to high Temperatures of your components! I called them on a completely different issue and thats what they told me... That would make sense as it seems that you are getting lock-ups after you have been playing for a while?!

If he means by playing the 'first level' as the first level he plays that day,.. then yes that could be it. But I assume he means 'first level' as the first level in the game.. and by the third level it locks up a ton, he can reboot and gets same problem.. at least thats what im gathering. You should probably download a CPU checker/monitor and monitor the temperature of your CPU just in case.

Demolisher: If you are honestly only able to play quake3 engine games, you got some serious issues there. Have you formatted recently?...If not, i would recommend a good backup of your important files and format that bad boy, or try a different hard drive... Sounds to me like you might have installed a firmware update or a patch or something of the sorts to your video card and its causing this issue. What,.. i do not know.. just the only thing i can gather.

i was gettign that crash sound loop problem in Half-life and its mods

but now its suddenly stopped!

now the only problem im getting is my monitor turns off after about 5min when i play JKII! and ive turned off screen savers and monitor standby!

my card is also GF2 mx400 64mb

ive just noticed that you also have a 5.1 live!

hmm in two threads now problems with GFX and both systems have a 5.1 live!

I actually thought it was a heat issue, But I checked PC Temps(CPU,Video card, Ram) and all are running at optimal.

Also with a heat issue for an AMD. Usually the performance starts to degrade before completly hanging up. You'll see a drop in fram rate and a BIOS sound alert will usaully happen. None of that happens. Just freezes.

I had the same problem with my old system. Do you have a VIA based chipset on your motherboard? If so here are a few fixes that might work.

Go to your BIOS and change your agp slot from 4x to 2x, if it is on 2x, drop it to 1x and see if that helps.

if that doesnt work, go into your system settings and see if you have "pci to AGP" installed, if so, replace the driver for it (update driver) and select PCI to PCI

the latter of the two worked for me when I was having probs...good luck!

-ed

I had the same problem with my old system. Do you have a VIA based chipset on your motherboard? If so here are a few fixes that might work.

Go to your BIOS and change your agp slot from 4x to 2x, if it is on 2x, drop it to 1x and see if that helps.

if that doesnt work, go into your system settings and see if you have "pci to AGP" installed, if so, replace the driver for it (update driver) and select PCI to PCI

the latter of the two worked for me when I was having probs...good luck!

-ed

Archived