Home

Verdict on current status of JKII?

topreacher

What do you think is the Truth?  

112 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think is the Truth?

• We're paying to be Beta-testers
    • Raven just released buggy code (hey, it happens)
    • LEC wanted the game shipped ... NOW
    • Other (please describe below)

Alrighty...

First off, let me say that I absolutely LOVE this game ... when it works.

My personal opinion? LEC wanted to ship the game before the "big celebration" of Episode II, and therefore forced Raven to ship out an unfished game.

So, let's see what your opinions are! Feel free to comment after you've voted, as well.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...This game is..... AMAZING.

The only problem that I have had with absolutely amazing game is a video problem in MP that was simply fixed by installing my older (and better) drivers. I feel sorry for all these people that are having so many, many problems. This is one of the best games I have played in years. The graphics are great, the gameplay is very strategic and full of action, the GHOUL2 system is in play. It can't get much better :D I'm not a big Star Wars freak, but this game doesn't even seem like a Star Wars game to me. It just seems like a full on strategic (in a good way (deciding just how to get rid of that squad full of 50 stormtroopers and commanders in the easiet way)) action.

The special effects in this aren't ground breaking but they blow most games I have played's special effects out of the water in one swift POW.

The lightsaber duels in MP can go from simply boring, to outlandishly stylized. The only time I witness any slow down is when I go in the Swamp/Jungly levels. They are amazing, but my 1.2ghz amd+radeon7500 combo just can't render that (mainly my radeon because its crap at rendering 2d stuff ;P) much swaying grass.

This game makes me wonder how awesome SOF2: DH (emoticons :\ ) is going to be. Just the Stormtroopers losing their guns if you pull them at a high level then being able to pick up other guns is sweet. And gripping an enemy and holding them over a tall ledge, or just jumping high into the air at jump rank 3 and grip rank 3 is fun. And *spoiler alert* Driving the big robot (ATST I believe someone called them) is plain and simple: FUN!

The sound is also great. The stormtroopers sound exactly like I remember them when I was 10 years old -- all raspy and almost a robotic quality. The voicing in the game's cinemas (sp?) can be a laugh at some times, but just hearing that lightsaber burning/buzzing when you slash enemies in MP or SP is somehow... satisfying. Plus. the stormtroopers yelling as they fall to their doom is also... satisfying... ;P I have already completed the game, and as you play you can listen to the stormtrooper NPC's have their own little conversations (quite frequently too). Some are amusingly ironic. As you enter the first level of the game you hear two of them talking and one says it's his last day on the job. Next thing you know hes laying on the ground, lifeless, after a fairly easy fight.

Woah! Enough of my review! Got carried away :\

As I was saying, great game, great fun, thumbs up RAVEN (make SOF2: DH (emoticons again :\) just as good or even better and you will have my support for you life :D)

I got pissed at the graphic card issue I was having and returned it. But I'm a die hard SW fan so I had to buy it again<sigh>.

This time I still cant get my graphic card to work in normal SP...but I can get the game to work in safe mode SP. At least so far...im in level 2.

I assume I am not using my graphics card because it simply cant detect it (gforce3ti200) and am in software rendering, but with a p4 1.4 and 1gb ram its doing well so far.

Crosses fingers!

I think JK2 is beta material.

More and more games are being released before being fully tested. It is unfortunate (and one of the seven signs of the end of the world), that LEC has to slump to let other companies do their games (JK2 and Battlegrounds come to mind). The last GOOD game LEC made IMHO was Grim Fandango.

LEC has been spending too much time on playstation games that it's starting to show in their PC games. I've been very happy with the Dark Forces engine used in DF and JK, and it wouldn't take much programming skills to up that game engine to meet current standards.

I'm not saying the quake engine is bad, I find it better then most others *cough*lith-tech*cough*, but the game overall is just too buggy, something you would never find in a good LEC games. Because of that, and the other Quake engine games, we're going to see a hell of a lot of patches. Remember when LEC released a stupid patch for multiplayer the same day (or week) the game was released? Kiss that goodbye.

Other games have been going the same route. For example, Civilization 3 (which is being made by Firaxis) is going under it's third patch in less then ~5 months.

I thought since LEC will be releasing this game, that they would check Raven to make sure this program is of top quality. It is unfortunate that LEC now belongs to the other computer companies who care only for profit, and figure the people can Beta test the program themselves.

I will NEVER again buy such beta crap in my entire life. I will wait at least a year after release before I consider to buy it.

The only thing I WILL give Raven and LEC credit for, is that they at LEAST didn't release a botched-up demo similar to AL|ENS vs. Predator 2 Marine Demo. But then, they didn't release one when the program was shipped either.

So I'm going to uninstall this crap, and send it back. I have better things to do with my 655MB of HD space.

PS:

Some advise to you Raven programmers, when you are making a save/load algorithm for your games, don't use a Big-O that's equal to O(2^n). Just because everyone and their rich cousin has a 2GHz computer, doesn't mean you can make bloated code. I suggest O(log2 (N)), it works out better. ;)

Running it in safe mode (cant find my gfx card) but its nice. Machine can handle software rendering and judging from others screenshots its just as good as using a graphics card.

But since I am not getting the full benefit of my $50.00, and the fact that most fixes or suggestions for fixes are to use older technology, I think they released it too early.

Interesting mixture of responses. Pretty cool.
In a way it's cool, in a way it's kinda whacked. So many people, like myself, can run the game perfectly while so many others have a variety of different problems that don't seem to have a pattern.

I've never seen a game have so many problems with Nvidia users. Usually, these are the people who have the least problems! I mean NOBODY to hold a candle to the quality of Nvidia drivers.

When there's a pattern or when everybody experiences the same bugs it makes a patch much easier to put out. But when there's no pattern, or when the symptom is "my machine randomly freezes", it's got to be alot harder to patch.

Has anyone tried updating their motherboards's AGP drivers to the latest and greatest? Most of the problems sound video related but that narrows it down to only one of a billion different things.

(When i first got it..)(The day before Yesterday)

Everything went great , i played Multiplayer and Singleplayer for a good 2 hours a piece , i thought..those guys computer must be totally unstable , hehe , lucky me ;) BUT.. :(

After a GOOD 10 too 20 hours of Multiplayer it began..first i could not get out of a server , so i quited to desktop , nothing major..i think just re-entered the jame , picked a server and joined.

(That was yesterday)

Now..i can't even connect to the "Join Games" thingy , i click it and CHRASH..i got XP so i can Alt-Ctrl-Del and re-start but when it quits JK2 my desktops all .. BRIGHT , like allot of gamma , a restart helps though..

Oh well...atleast now i can contineu my SinlgepLayer Campain , i never finished it , i was just gonna try the MultiPlay for 5 mins , but euhh..it ended up being everything , untill now ofcrouse :mad:

My only hope is setting open the ports..i heard people say it has no use , but its the least i can do..if i want it too work again , its just SOO damn cool!!

Originally posted by JediDrew

Raven's silence on this matter is troubling.

Get used to it. Lots of companies are tunnig people out who critize their work. I'm guessing if I become a highly paid programmer, I would be snotty too. I guess I should switch from my Comp Sci major to somthing else.

Archived