Home

Should I buy this game?

jsn3568

I'm worried my system couldn't take Jedi Knight II very well. Here are my specs

Pentium 3 500 mghz

128 mb RAM

GeForce 2 Pro 32 mb

Windows 2000

I think that's all that's relevant. Anyway, I'd be very happy if someone honestly told me whether it'll run like absolute crap or not. Thanks a lot.

jsn3568

I'd recommend another stick of RAM, hell PNY 256 PC133 SDRAM goes for like 40 bucks now.

But otherwise, the system looks fine to run JK2, 128 megs of RAM is effective and will run it, but 256+ would run it better.

Another thing to remember is to run the Nvidia 23.11 reference drivers with the game if it gives you performance issues as they are the developer recommended drivers.

I have a:

PIII 500

128 RAM

TNT2 w/ 32MB

Win98

There's a readme file with the game that suggests certain settings for certain levels of system specs. After I switched to those settings, the game runs great. I average 40-50 FPS and I haven't had a single crash.

I would definitely buy this game. (and some more RAM. it's so damn cheap. i just haven't gotten around to buying it yet.)

Originally posted by L3onheart

Yes buy it.

My system (that's gonna be upgraded this week btw)

PentiumII 350MHz

SB Live

GeForce 2 MX 200

192MB RAM

and it works fine. i just have high textures and 1024x768 @ 16 bit display and it works fine

Your definition of "fine" must be 10-15 frames per second, because there is NO way your system can handle JO on high detail in 1024x768x16.

It should work as msotp eople about your specs seem to be able to work it fine, and i played it with one very similar and it ran at medium - 1024 * blah blah and worked with no glitches, tho it's worth noting it had a few texture problems with distant graphics (like textures flickering if they're very far away when you change weapon)

Originally posted by Emon

Your definition of "fine" must be 10-15 frames per second, because there is NO way your system can handle JO on high detail in 1024x768x16.

No actually my definition of fine is 25-30 fps. If you know how to take full advantage of your system, you'll be able to do that. I play games like NOLF, RTCW, HL, etc. at frames like those. The only game that gives me some trouble is CMR2.0.

You don't know my system to the fullest.

My definition of fine is 25-30fps. 20 on more "intense" parts.

I know how to take the fullest of my system. Don't talk about a system you don't know about ok?

Umm..no, I have a PIII 500, 256MB RAM and a Voodoo 4 (PCI...god help me :( ) and in SP I average around 60 with spikes over 100 and drops down to 25 FPS in hi detail. But, I am Quake/EF Player, so I have my system tweaked for Video. I also built turbo scripts that, I don't need for SP, but use in MP that can give me a 10-20 FPS boost by doing, simple items, no dynamic light etc.

Dude, if you aren't gettting well over 100 FPS with a 1Ghz Machine and an Geo 3, consistently on your box, your box has got problems and could be maxed out big time for graphics.

Get the latest DirectX, drivers...but likely it is your BIOS settings that are screwed, check your AGP bus settings. That is usually the problem when people with hi-end boxes get lag drops during play. BIOS settings shipped with your box are probably generic and not even close to tweaked. I bet if you try, you can get your box to never drop below 80 FPS in SP.

- Vorax

Well, I for one ACTUALLY CHECK MY FRAMERATE AND USE THE TIMEDEMO. Unlike some people who make a random guess to make themselves feel proud that they can get good framerates on ****ty systems.

If your getting over 100 frames per second in all your games on a Voodoo 4, you sir are lying.

Dude...trust me, I know the Quake III engine, I know how to tweak it.

In real life I am Chief Architect in a software company. 19 years programming

I am also, in some circles, a very well known mapper:

My web site: Vorax Maps

I am also part of Wired Lamp Studios, the mod group that is going to be doing the Coop Mod for JKII and the WLS map pack.

Also, I don't lie...your box is not tweaked...not by a long shot

cg_drawFPS 1

- Vorax

Archived