Home

help with taunts

tam

hi, well i was fooling around with my bind a bit, and came across the play command. well i decided to bind the taunts from the various villains in the game to keys on my keyboard. now this all worked, and i can hear the sounds perfectly. but no one else in the server can.

is there some kind of command i must enable or anything that will enable them to hear the sounds?

if you bind a key to +taunt it will play the taunt when you hit the key(there are others such as Killtaunt and things I still cant get to work)...those I beleive play on everyones computer...lando's is the funniest I have heard yet he just howls...

I really don't think its possible. At least, it isn't possible in Q3A, RtCW or MoH:AA so I think its highly unlikely to be possible in JKII either. Imagine for a minute that it was possible. People would simply abuse it by spamming inappropriate sound effects to everyone else, throughout the game...:rolleyess

The play command will only play it for you, nobody else will hear it. I've tried other commands for sounds (vsay, vsay_team, vosay, vosay_team), but it seems they don't do anything in JK2.

Also in Q3TA you're able to play sounds pretty easilly. I am not sure how it is done exactly, but it's something like: bind x "say "&sound/voice/comms/something.wav

I have tried several things like this in JK2 and non seem to work. I'm afraid Ravensoft has removed these things :(

The Lando one is funny. Someone was using it while Force Speeding around the map.

Is there a FAQ somewhere that tells how to do all the taunts? I didn't play Quake 3 (I had UT), so none of this is familiar to me.

Really, it would have been cool to have a MoHAA style voice system.

As far as I can tell there is only 1 taunt per model. Other taunts, voices, etc have been left out of the game.

I don't know why this was done and it sucks, cos even if you bind text messages to keys the text scrolls away to quickly for people to notice in the heat of battle.

well i found one way of changing the taunts for everyone just change the taunt file thats for that model, but the problem is that it involves modifying the pk3, meaning a pure server can kick it out, for something thats already in its own pk3....oi :p

In SP mode, I found that taunting makes you spin your saber in hand. In the pit map, I had SRC and dismemberment up high, as well ad turning on god mode. Then I proceeded to load a ton of reborns, with my lightsaber sheathed. The moment I did the taunt with the reborns around me, damn that was ****ing fun ****. He looks all calm and cool too, with his hand stretched out.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe that those other taunts listed are only used by bots, or perhaps were cut from actual implementation close to release date.

I know how to cause other sounds, and I'm pretty sure that everyone will hear them -- but I haven't tested that last factor yet.

If it works, I'm not sure I (or anyone else) should put it out here on the forums, or online play may become totally spammed by all the different sound effects, making actual play impossible. I'm just going to use it to have a different quote instead of the normal taunt for my model.

Oh, and it should work on pure servers, with no cheats involved.

SO:

Should I make it public, or keep it hidden? What's the general feeling out there? If this becomes another "Hey, you there!", I don't want to be the one responsible for it.

~JediMouse~

i know this is looked down upon, but i feel that it answers a question for you, so here goes:

"hmm, well to bad u cant do that in mp hopefully they can fix this with a patch, give people the option of playing sp style on mp or mp style"

tam: the next version of my mod will include this. you will be able to do the SP taunt in MP.

Irimi-Ai

It doesn't seem like a lot of people are reading this thread right now, anyway, so here you go. Remember -- I haven't tested this on an online server yet, so I can't say 100% that others will hear it as well, but logic says probably 99% odds.

The command you want (bind it to a key) is 'play.' You need the full path of the file (downwards from the base dir), and the filename.

Go looking in your assets1.pk3 file with a zip file utility, like WinZip. Extract and play some of the sounds, especially under the characters misc directories.

i.e. sounds/chars/luke/misc/filename.mp3

This works for the mp3 ones as well as the wav ones.

Once you fine one you like, construct the command and key bind like so:

bind x "play sounds/chars/lando/misc/chase1.mp3"

and that sound file will play every time you push x. It works for music, too, but many of those files are longer, and it may not mesh well with the existing music.

Give that a try, and let me know if it really does play for others as well.

~JediMouse~

Archived