Home

What's your code of honor?

Mattman

Wheelchair boy, you're pretty funny for an idiot.

I've got a pretty strict one too:

Lemme qualify by saying I pretty much play on the same server repeatedly, since I know the admins and they are quite cool (LiCk's server - PLUG PLUG)

- First time I meet a new player and they challenge they get a head nod.

- Don't taunt at all, its not worth the effort

- Light side forces

- Don't use bacta during a duel even if the enemy does

- Don't attack someone with a sheathed saber

- When the player proves a good or respectable opponent, then they get a bow

- Kicking an enemy off a ledge is a valid move

Sometimes with the admins of the server, since they are clowns, we cheap shot each other. Its kind of one of those light moments where we are playing around, such as playing king of the hill.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by BoyInAWhelchair

Grow up people. It's a ****ing game.

Jesus..honor...If you fanboys aint masterbating while swinging your sabers, your kicking some guy cause he chooses to use guns.

Pathetic

Boy In A wheelchair

Hey guys, let's not get off track. Don't respound to things like this.

My code? Here it is.

:saberg:

I match my style to the game I'm playing. In a ffa, I'll park and snipe. In a duel, I'll wait my turn. I play assuming others will do to me what I do to them.

I do not harm people that I can plainly see are waiting for a duel or not moving due to problems. I quickly assess situations before I run in with the sabre or cut lose with the disruptor. I expect the same curiousy and politeness.

I accecpt duels, and offer them, trying not to hinder those that are seeking high kill counts and/or don't want to duel. If I'm refused I'll hold off for a while or indefinatly.

In duels I try to conduct myself with honor and stlye but also provide a challange if my ability is equal to theirs. I will use all force powers at my disposel and expect them to do the same.

I congratulate my killers if I feel that it was a good duel or even if it was a good "run by gunning." I feel that kindness and respect is aproprately.

I will attack if I see an opening, and expect others to do the same.

I DO have fun, and expect others to do the same.

:saberr:

There you have it. That's how I play. See you on the server.

Here's my personal in-game ethics (playing as a light jedi):

Adapt to the tactics being used. I never start out pushing people off ledges, but if its FFA and drain, grip, & throwers are abound, they're gettin whats comin to them.

As a general rule, I consider it my duty to take down anybody using drain. Even in non-team play modes. I see that red lightning and its like flies on doo-doo. I'm there to take you down. Note I'm not in the mindset that Drain is "cheap" per se, I'm just going to try to give you a whoopin' for using it. It's my pet peeve. That is generally the only time I pull out a gun too.

If you're standing there with saber off, I won't attack you.

I bow in Duel servers, and have no qualms about when I will or won't heal on any server.

Most importantly, I try to help people on the servers become better players, especially on duel servers. I don't subscribe to the school of betterment through getting your ass totally handed to you. If I see a weakness in an opponent, I will try to help them out, because I would rather win 10-9 than 10-0 in a match.

I'm not talking about throwing matches, but pointing out what the guy is doing that he could improve on, and helping him learn how to do it.

I am the first in 3 generations in my family that didn't go into teaching profession but I guess it's in the blood.

I love this game!!

TDS

I waste anyone i can, anytime. Unless it's a duel or something, I work with whatever i can get my hands on and whatever is allowed in the game that im in. If it's saber only and a lot of people, drain and lighting, choke and push if there are spots to drop people. If guns are allowed, usually use saber anyways unless i get the rocket launcher or the Flechette gun. It doesn't matter to me, a kill is a kill. But if someone really starts to complain and i see that im upsetting people, i'll either stop doing whatever it is they don't like or i'll leave the server completely. I know it's a game, but sometimes i can get a little too aggressive.:mob:

"WAIT, TIME OUT, MY BLASTER'S JAMMED!"

(everyone stops in confusion and i whip out my Rocket launcher)

"OKAY, GAME ON!"

Bowing is cool, even when I've had a saber thrown at me while I was doing it.

In terms of honor, I just carry myself as a light jedi should. Quiet, humble, ready to give props to an opponent if/when they beat me. No crying 'cheap' or 'cheat', or even retaliating in kind when I'm up against someone putting me down for my 'technique' or lack thereof.

For me, I've found if *I* carry myself in what I consider a 'positive' manner, it really doesn't matter what anyone else does. I'm satisfied (and dying some...hehe..) with the way I play. Trying to get everyone else to do this is pointless; either they do or do not. Their choice. It's all good, from where I stand.

Besides, I play this for fun. I live for the thrill of the battle.

It's interesting, though, that it's mostly light jedi that speak of playing with 'honor'. A dark jedi that doesn't is holding to THEIR vision of the game. At least that's how I see it. Makes it even more interesting, imo, since it follows the 'storyline'....

Tai.

I don't kill people that are just standing, because they're probably not at their comp. The whole push/grip off a ledge thing, sure, I do it. If they're not able to figure out what's about to happen, oh well. Besides, with the grip thing, especially on Nar Shadda, you can just push, and send the gripper off the edge. I don't snipe, either. Usually I don't see any though, unless I'm playing CTF, and they're guarding. I don't have a problem with sniping in that particular situation.

Great topic!

Honor on internet games is a joke

To people who think having a code of honor is silly on the internet.. think again, it is a most ideal place to maintain your honor. Just because you can't seem to find honor in your anonymity, doesn't mean that other people can't be or shouldn't be honorable.

Here is my honor code:

1) Sabre down if not fighting.

2) Absorb / Heal / Jump

The only powers I use when I am dueling, and then only IF you are using Grip/Lightning against me. I will use them as needed if I am fighting against multiple combatants. If I am in a non_engaged duel with you and you are not zapping me, I am not healing myself.

3) ^^^ + Speed - in CTF games

4) I *NEVER* attack anyone who has sabre down

When someone comes up to me while my sabre is down I laugh (and cry) as I watch j3|)| |\/|45+4|-| hack me to death.

5) I *NEVER* initiate combat by attacking someone from behind

It irks me when people do this. I don't know how many times I have been *standing* there, sabre down waiting for a duel to end so I can challenge the jedi in front of me, who also has his sabre down, to either be killed from behind or see someone try to attack the other guy from behind. I do try to prevent that from happening =). Last night someone tried to do that to Darth Bob when we were about to duel, we both went after that guy, killed him and then proceeded to duel. C'mon people, if two peeps are standing there looking at each other, with sabres down, what exactly about that situation screams that you should attack them ?!

6) Sabre only - Light stance 98.5% Medium 1% Heavy .5%

Sometimes in CTF I'll use weapons

8) I accept all duel challenges and I seek people out who I have fun dueling and are honorable

Darth Bob, from the posting above, and I dueled many times last night, we had some killer duels. Like my first hit wonder kill, I think I was as surprised as he was. My light stance felt like a heavy stance for that duel, twas strange.

9) If I come across 2 people in a non_engaged duel, I do not engage

unless one of them intentionally comes after me (with my sabre down no less :rolleyes: )

10) I honor player made rulesets

i.e. if I get to a server and they say no force powers except for jump, that's the way i play

11) I will bow/crouch if appropriate for the situation

On DUEL servers I look at the ground before I begin. If the game had a /bow command like EQ i would do that, otherwise in spirit I am always bowing to you, because I respect you as a person.

12)GL, GF, GG, N1

You get the idea. If you don't see it right away, it is most likely because I was just engaged in a battle again. I do, however, gf/gg after the fact, because I think it is important. There are some good duelers out there and by dueling you I am getting better.

These are the ones I can think of at the moment, I basically do not seek to take uneccessary advantage over you. If you treat me with respect, you will receive it in kind. I know this post is long but hey, you did ask. :D

Look me up in the game so we can :lsduel: and you will see my honor code in practice. ;)

Miasma is my in game name.

/bow

btw thanks if you made it this far lol, them's a lot of words :c3po: comes to mind

I play with one hand, both feet off the ground, and only one eye open. Squinting, too.

The various rules/codes/whatever I read here are almost as dishonorable as cheating. All of you are essentially telling your opponents "yeah, you win, but I had a handicap." or "I beat you and I even had this disadvantage."

The only honor is in playing the game within the rules, to the best of your abilities, using all available tools as well as you can. Anything less cheapens the game, and is dishonorable to your opponents.

-Jeff

Originally posted by Jaif

I play with one hand, both feet off the ground, and only one eye open. Squinting, too.

The various rules/codes/whatever I read here are almost as dishonorable as cheating. All of you are essentially telling your opponents "yeah, you win, but I had a handicap." or "I beat you and I even had this disadvantage."

The only honor is in playing the game within the rules, to the best of your abilities, using all available tools as well as you can. Anything less cheapens the game, and is dishonorable to your opponents.

-Jeff

That would be the case if you said to the opponent "Im only going to use this style and these powers to fight you" but I don't see anyone that says that. Sure, after a while maybe they understand that, and if they don't follow the same idea, who cares? A person's personal code doesn't mean they should force it on someone else, it's a way they can enjoy playing the game more.

It's completely beyond me how you can even attempt to equate having a personal defined set of rules you don't push on anyone else as cheating. In fact, by that logic, setting a server to sabers only, which is a "code" for the server, would be cheating.

"It's completely beyond me how you can even attempt to equate having a personal defined set of rules you don't push on anyone else as cheating."

I did not say this. Let me repeat - I did not say this, you made it up.

Theft & bribery are criminal acts. They are not the same act. Playing by stricter rules & cheating are both dishonorable acts, but not the same either.

I've seen this situation often in life: people who are poor competitors (and I'm not referring to skill, here) typically take the rules of the game and redefine them for their own ends. Very often, they make up limitations for themselves, and then come to places such as this to brag about how much better (i.e honorable in this case) they are, given their self imposed limitations.

No you're not better for following different rules in a game. If anything, you are worse.

-Jeff

P.S. C'mon people, don't act all disingenuous here: you're coming on boards like this to brag about your honor, and indirectly to poke fun at the people who don't play your way. It's disgraceful; for heaven's sake, it's only a shooter!

Originally posted by Jaif

"It's completely beyond me how you can even attempt to equate having a personal defined set of rules you don't push on anyone else as cheating."

I did not say this. Let me repeat - I did not say this, you made it up.

Theft & bribery are criminal acts. They are not the same act. Playing by stricter rules & cheating are both dishonorable acts, but not the same either.

I've seen this situation often in life: people who are poor competitors (and I'm not referring to skill, here) typically take the rules of the game and redefine them for their own ends. Very often, they make up limitations for themselves, and then come to places such as this to brag about how much better (i.e honorable in this case) they are, given their self imposed limitations.

No you're not better for following different rules in a game. If anything, you are worse.

-Jeff

P.S. C'mon people, don't act all disingenuous here: you're coming on boards like this to brag about your honor, and indirectly to poke fun at the people who don't play your way. It's disgraceful; for heaven's sake, it's only a shooter!

>I did not say this. Let me repeat - I did not say this, you made it up.

You are quite confrontational. Yeah, I misinterpreted it, but it sure seems as if that is what you are saying, especially with your extremely skewed and narrow-view logic.

So if a server admin decides that he doesn't like a specific rule or method of the game and he changes it, then he is dishonorable. Sounds like he is doing a lot like a mod would. So are mods dishonorable because they change the basic ruleset? By your own logic, that's what you are saying.

I guess if you really want to believe that people are coming here to poke fun at others for their concept of "honor" then so be it. That's a pretty cynical way to view it, but the world would be an exceptionally boring place without the occasional cynic.

It's only a shooter, but a shooter with some depth, enough depth that people can do other things in it, be it so insane as role playing the game. It even is entertaining for some of us that don't do it.

And can you honestly say that you don't think it is a lame thing to do if someone is standing there, no saber out, not moving, watching a duel going on for someone to come and slash them from behind? You think that is just hunky-dory, part of the game?

In addition, as I said, I don't see anyone saying they tell anyone else their rules or forcing them on others. How can that be attempting to seem superior? It sounds more to me like either the person wants to have more fun or wants to play by their own set of rules to make themselves better.

To each their own I guess.

OK, I see where this thread is going...

Jaif, as I stated in my original post, this thread is not a place to argue over the legitimacy of a personal code of honor, or whatever else one may call it. I started this thread as a gathering place for those who already use one, so that they can list it here.

I'm all for you voicing your opinion, but please do so in your own thread. I'm sure that many of us here, myself included, would be willing to participate. However, as far as this thread goes, I ask everyone to please stay on topic.

Jiro Kage, I understand your desire to defend your position, but as I mentioned above, please try to keep on topic.

As for BoyInAWhelchair's post, my advice... DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!!! :rolleyes:

Now, can we please get this thing back on track?

Thanks. :)

I play, like most people, by the rules of the server. It's the server admin's server, so they set the rules.

There's a big difference between a server admin setting up a game, and individual players making up their own rules.

"And can you honestly say that you don't think it is a lame thing to do if someone is standing there, no saber out, not moving, watching a duel going on for someone to come and slash them from behind?"

The player standing is being lame. Ex: I go to a 16 person basic-FFA server, nearly full. I find out that 6 people are there just to duel each other, with 2 going at a time and 4 standing around. That's 6 people taking up slots on a server to play their own game, asking to be ignored by the 10 (or less) of us. I'm now on a 10 person server.

Me, I frag'em. They can chose fight or flight. If they fight, good, then we're back to playing the game the way the server admin set it up. If they leave the server it's also good, as it frees up a slot for someone who'll potentially behave by the rules.

Again, I play by the rules of the server, as stated by the server admin (it's their game).

I'm going to add one last thing - I play by the "Golden Rule". If I were standing around watching a fight, and someone fragged me, I certainly wouldn't come to these boards to complain. If I'm leaving myself unguarded on an FFA server, that's my own stupidity.

-Jeff

It's true, what you say, but we have a right to defend ourselves too, so don't act like we're being unfair, just playing by your rules, and as to your earlier post, there are some things that make the game less fun, like when a person turns off their Saber and tries to figure out a console command, or even has a brief computer problem and someone just runs in and kills them, there was no skill involoved in that, just rudness. On the other hand I agree with you that it is a fairly direct bit of dishonor to another person if you don't use all of the skills and tools you have to beat them, is IS like saying 'I'm so good I could beat you with one hand tied behind my back' and it's rather ironic that most of the people here seem to practice more dishonor than honor lol.

Here's my Honor Code:

1. Use Light and Dark evenly: achieve a balance.

2. Always bow before a duel.

3. Never strike a man with an extinguished saber.

4. When on Nar Shaddaa, push only when absolutely necessary.

5. When playing CTF, always assign points to Team Heal.

6. Never kill an AFK.

7. Never use a gun, as all is possible through use of the Force.

8. Always play for keeps, not for score.

/me tries to wrestle train back on track......

My code:

Have Fun.

Help obvious new people.

Answer questions politely.

Offer advice if asked.

Teach a new person and they will become a decent opponent, thereby improving the game for everyone.

No message spamming, but a "GG" or "good fight" is great and shows you enjoyed yourself.

No complaining in chat.

NO profanity. It's lame and shows immaturity, IMHO.

Have fun.

I use all stances depending on need or situation.

I play as a Light Jedi, so I use Absorb, Heal, Speed and Jump.

Have Fun.

I have no problems switching to a gun if it's a FFA or if I'm chasing in CTF/CTY.

Challenge a person doing nothing before attacking.

Oh and did I mention, have FUN?

Just my code that I try to follow, I use it in all my online games (minus the JK2 specifics)

F Click

Good one....

You know the guy on your team that stays behind to defend the flag. That's me. (and I do it well)

The guy whose got your back so you can barrel full speed into a furball. That's me.

The guy running up behind you with Team Heal and giving you a quick boost before you even know I'm there. That's me.

The guy who's not really concerned with finishing with the highest individual score as long as the team comes out with a victory. That's me.

I'm not big into Deathmatch, been there done that for the past decade. As a former wrestler and Chess player (yeah u read that right), Duels are the near and dear to my heart, but team based games are the ultimate.

To respond to Jaif, there is no dishonor to adhering to a certain set of internal rules. There is no dishonor in forgoing the "no-holds barred" attitude. Japanese Samurai acted in much the same fashion. You're not presuming to call them dishonorable, are you? What about the college football team that uses the wishbone formation instead of a pro-style formation? They are limiting themselves, is that dishonorable?

Where you use the word dishonorable, substitute the word challenging. It makes your posting make much more sense.

TDS

i agree totally with you Fyunch Click!

People who take things too seriously and start cursing for no reason really make me laugh.

I asked a duelist: No forces, other than jump?

He said ok, then proceeded to force drain me....and as i was typing to him "you agreed no forces WTF?" he got a hit in on me, so I healed as he was using forces.

Next msg from him was "Damn healer", closely followed up by "I know your mother" and then by several messages along that topic (guess what they were).

Trying to make me angry, didn't work though..I took my time, and defeated him twice to change the duel opponent, he then subsequently disconnected.

Everyone on the server congratulated me on the win, which i thought sums up what the community should be. If you defeat me, then fair enough "gg" good game people! It's a game, enjoy it.

Anger leads to the dark-side ;-)

laterz

=[Acefrag]=

Challenge me, it will be a good fight. If you win fair enough...good game

"...that make the game less fun, like when a person turns off their Saber and tries to figure out a console command..."

A friend and I played on a server. We typed questions & answers to each other, and died doing so. Neither of us cared. I'm not sure why people here do.

-Jeff

I think the concept of an honor code is a joke. I can see some "honor code" in the saber duels, because you see some of that in the movies (pausing to remove robes in the Maul fight for example). In a FFA game I say anything goes. It's a game. I'm gonna Force grip whoever I can and toss them into pits, grip them then force push them into walls, whatever will kill them. I'll Force push them into the trash compactor or laser on the Death Star level, whatever.

The rules on the Team FFA say it all in that whoever kills the most of the other team. It doesn't say whoever plays nicest.

My only rule is to have fun and be considerate to the other players (as in the people who need to type "Yeah Beeeyatch!" after every kill... though it is funny).

Remember, it's just a game......

Nothing wrong with your own personal rules of conduct. I'm not sure how holding yourself to a different standard (not necc higher) is dishonorable.

Anyway, to try and stay on topic, here are mine:

1. Saber/Dark force pwr only.

2. Push, Pull, grip, drain.

3. Yeah I'm evil, but I don't attack non-moving targets.

4. Or people who are unarmed.

5. Or cute, fluffy, little kittiens.

6. but I'll roast an ewok.

Again this is the way I play because I have FUN playing this way. If your playing the game for anything other than FUN, your a LOSER who should put down the lotion and go meet some girls.

Originally posted by Torquemada

Again this is the way I play because I have FUN playing this way. If your playing the game for anything other than FUN, your a LOSER who should put down the lotion and go meet some girls.

Um, that only applies to Lesbians and non gay men.

So to be fair,

go meet a partner

or 4

:laughing:

And its good to see decent posts on this stuff.

I do not, and will not get along with people that attack those with saber down, unless you see this person force gripping/lightning/draining you or someone else, don't mess with'em. Otherwise I consider you dishonorable and will kill you until you die from it you yankee doodle dorks of pigs. (You know who you are - and I'd post your names if I was anything like you)

I usually play as a Stormtrooper, code sign THX 1138.

As such I use guns almost exclusively.

I will shoot you down like a dog if given the chance, using any weapon available. I prefer to shoot at groups of dueling Jedi fools who are too busy swinging wildly to notice that I am shooting them in the back. If a Jedi spots me I will turn tail and run until he meets another sabre fool and then I will back away from both while they hack at each other and alt-fire the repeater on them until they are dead.

"I took down two Jedi myself. They're not so tough..."

Archived