Home

Knights of Alderaan

Kiell_Randor

The Knights of Alderaan are accepting applications. We are a serious team with a strong emphasis on Role Play.

The Knights use the lightsaber as their only weapon, and do NOT use any of the Dark Force powers. Our team play involves a strong emphasis on 1 vs 1 dueling. There is perhaps more of an internal focus than many groups: we are more likely to spend time in a team only server, honing our skills in duels than playing on a public ffa or team ffa.

New members to the team will be required to choose a Jedi name. Darth_Kickass and the like are NOT acceptable names. New members will start as Initiates, until a Jedi Master accepts him or her as a Padawan. A Jedi Knight within the Knights of Alderaan may also accept a Padawan with permission from the Council. Upon showing a proper understanding of the team philosophy, and an established skill with the lightsaber, Padawan may test for the rank of Jedi Knight.

If you are not interested in a strong Role Play element, then this is not the team for you. If you are looking for a l33t hack-and-slash win at all costs 'clan' then this is not the team for you.

Our website can be found at:

http://knights.idlegames.com

Stop by and take a look. There is an onling application available under the recruiting section of the site.

Kiell Randor

Jedi Master of the Knights of Alderaan

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perhaps something I should have added above, but neglected to was the general approach of our team towards online gaming.

The Knights of Alderaan were started as an online gaming group a long time ago (about a year and a half actually) in a game far, far away (Mechwarrior 4). We played Mechwarrior 4 for almost a full year, before various 'patches' made the game lag-ridden and removed the fun from the game. Our original gaming group was not known as the Knights of Alderaan, but we believe in doing things full-heartedly, and a name change was in order for Jedi Knight II.

Most of our members are 'older'. Many have spouses and children. The unofficial team motto is "Real life counts!" That is to say, as a member of the Knights, you won't be REQUIRED to spend your entire life online doing team-related activities. We believe in a 'do it as you can'-type approach.

Rank in the team comes from two things: your personal abilities, and your contributions (in effort, not money!). If you prove to be a strong leader who plays enough to be an effective leader, you are put in a leadership position. We have members who have been 'grunts' from the day they joined, but they like it that way!

As I said, getting into the atmosphere is important, so there is a strong role-play element to our team. What is mentioned above may seem like an 'intensive' way to have to work your way in, but it serves two purposes: it gives you a dedicated teacher who will help you to improve (or vice versa), and it gives you a mentor, who will help you find your way in the team.

We are NOT one of those over-sized teams. Typically membership is kept around a maximum of 15-20. I believe when you get more than this it is hard to build the bonds of friendship with everyone in the team, and we are a tight-knit team.

If you have any questions, you can reach me by email at:

Alderaan_Knights@yahoo.com

Sounds very interesting.

As a modeler and writer of fiction (and avid role player),

I wish that I could join. But unfortunately I cannot seem

to get Jedi Knight II Multiplayer to function over my dial up

connection.

It appears that I shall be forced to play against bots rather

than people until I go to Clemson University next year, where

I shall have access to a t1 line.

• 3 weeks later...

Had a chance to play today with a couple of your members, and I must say, they all impressed the hell out of me. I completed an application form around ten minutes ago, and I'm definitely hoping to get in, you guys have the right frame of mind, and it sounds like it's a great group of people. Hope to hear from you guys soon.

hey :) im a bit of an old ex-cs player ehehe, and havent had much experience with other games. the "role playing" part sounds particularly interesting, and i was just wondering whether it happens with many other games? or just this one? is there much of it or is it pretty rare? it's probably not my kinda thing, but i'd still be interested in finding out a bit more about it :)

In roleplaying, you play role of your character, not yourself.

It is very rare in most games, you need very dedicated community to have succesfull roleplaying experience.

Kiell_Randor: I sent application week or few ago and got reply, but I am not sure if my mail got through to you.

V

Thank you to everyone who is sending in applications. I do ask you to please be patient. We are getting 3-6 applications a day right now, and we are very careful with our recruiting. We try to ensure that every suitable applicant gets a fair chance to try-out.

I typically get an e-mail reply to all applicants within 12 hours, but if you have not recieved any reply after 1-2 days, please feel free to contact me at alderaan_knights@yahoo.com regarding your application.

As for the role-play, it comes in several different forms. In-game we have etiquettes regarding behaviour and communication. There is role-play on our forums, which includes member-written stories.

But perhaps the strongest part of it is the progression through the ranks and the relationships between members. For example, I have taken on one of our newer members, Morbrion on as my Padawan learner after my last Padawan earned his Knighthood. I have been training Morbrion both in-game, in combat, jumping skills, defensive skills, etc etc... and also out-of-game in the forums, instructing on tactical concepts, knowledge of the Force, and other things.

When Morbrion is ready, he will take the Trial and if he passes earn the rank of Knight, where he can take on his own Padawan.

Essentially we try to build the complete Star Wars Jedi experience (as much as is possible with the tools given).

I was thinking of sending in an application, but i have a few questions

1. I've never seen anyone type a single thing while playing jedi knight2, will there be converstions?

2. I kinda have this style where..I suck, but not realy. No prob right? I'll definily be a appreince

3. Do you have your own pure server? If so, do you accept skins and saber mods?

ok done ranting

Where to begin? :)

1. I've never seen anyone type a single thing while playing jedi knight2, will there be converstions?

Typing is used in-game depending on the circumstance. In the middle of a team free for all saber battle, nobody has a conversation. However during training, there is interaction between members of the Order. This includes instruction, encouragement, etc. The same goes for moments between fights in FFA or TFFA games.

2. I kinda have this style where..I suck, but not realy. No prob right? I'll definily be a appreince

Initial recruiting goes entirely on attitude and willingness to role-play. If you're 12, your application gets flagged as potential maturity issue (notice flagged, not refused). If you're 35 with kids, its a bonus in our books. Once accepted into the order as an Initiate, you will be chosen as a Padawan based on several factors: Your attitude and role-play, and the availability of a Knight or Master who keeps a similar schedule. There is no guarantee, as for the most part it depends on YOU. However saber skill is not a factor - part of the process of being a Padawan is being taught the skills to be a good player in all circumstances.

3. Do you have your own pure server? If so, do you accept skins and saber mods?

We have a couple of pure servers. We accept possible skins. Part of the bonus of earning the Knight rank is we are working on a custom skin for each Knight/Master based on his character portrait and description. This isn't implemented yet, but is in the works.

Regarding a Jedi Name, there are several ways to come up with one. You can jumble letters of your real name. Go to a fantasy name-generator (there are several around on the internet), or pull an _OBSCURE_ name you like from a book somewhere. No "Aragorn" or "Rand al'Thor".

I read about the Knights of Alderaan in this very thread. I filled out the application, Master Kiell contacted me, and we held a try-out. Fortunately, I was accepted and made an Initiate. Since then, Master Kiell has taken me on as his Padawan learner.

What this really means is I am lucky enough to be part of a strong role-playing 'clan' (we prefer Order) where you are judged much more on your actions than on your skill.

I have also learned more about successfully defeating opponents by using thoughtful, sound strategy, only swinging when I have a good chance to hit, how to evade, and combination attacks. While I thought I was a good player before I am becoming much better. Some of the training doesn't even involve combat... we may work on movement, jumping, or other non-(direct) combat skills.

I am very glad I applied and feel lucky to be part of such a group as the Knights of Alderaan. They are exactly what I was looking for in a team.

Morbrion

Padawan

Knights of Alderaan

Tryouts effectively involve getting you in the server and taking part in some duels for the most part. As I said, initial recruiting goes entirely on attitude and willingness to role-play.

If you are accepted then we work on making you a deadly force to be reckoned with. Essentially the concept behind training is to train Jedi Knights who can enter any situation and have a good chance of victory. This involves learning basic techniques, combinations, learning to fight multiple opponents at once... but more than that. They learn jumping skills, effective use of Force powers, among other things.

By the time someone completes the training and passes the Trial to reach the rank of Jedi Knight in the Knights of Alderaan, they should be able to join any kind of server (Force, no force, saber only, open weapons), and earn a very positive kills/deaths ratio (ie, 4 or 5 kills per death or something in that range). That is the goal towards which we work.

However this is only a part of it. Another is the role-play aspect, which is the driving force behind the combat training. You will never see one of our Order taunting on public servers, or acting like an ass. Within the Order we treat each other with respect. There is interaction, stories written. We do our best to recreate the Star Wars universe :)

Well, as Kiell stated before, I was accepted as an Initiate this week, and I can't wait to get back on the server and play with you guys. I want to learn all I can, and it sounds like there's ots of fun to be had in the process. Besides, RPing is great fun, and you guys are doing an excellent job of creating a simulated Jedi Temple... Good work everyone.

Hope to get to that Padawan status soon... a teacher would be nice.

See you guys soon.

Aidan Solusar

Knights of Alderaan

You had an unknown name , all people looking to join are to put a [C] around there tag, (Candidate) - I think it was a mixup, but either way - If you applied, you would have recieved the e-mail telling you exactly what to do, and how to go about it at the trials.

I want to join. I've been looking for a server that *doesn't* immediately need kick ass players that are like WHOOSH. Honestly, I just burned the game off a friend yesterday 'cause I remembered the good ol' original Dark Forces.

I'm just starting out and looking for practice. I'd definately be an initiate, 'cause I have no age or anything to count for me.

Well, I'll be submitting a form either way, so if you want me, cool. :atat:

funny, I just came in here to bump this thread and here it is right on the front page :)

I just burned the game off a friend yesterday 'cause I remembered the good ol' original Dark Forces.

kiell if you even let this guy try out you will have screwed everything that is good about this clan....

Archived