Home

Raven: Saber throwing during duels is out of control

Sithdrone

In the last 72 hours, I did a test.

I dueled 100 people. 98 of them constantly threw their sabers.

Raven, I had the best time of my life dueling last week. This week, it seems as though everybody has figured out the easiest cop out in dueling. What the hell is saber throwing allowed for anyway? Did Luke throw throw his saber at Darth Vader every 2 seconds????? Its so out of place, it makes absolutely no sense.

Dueling is a virtual joke.

Now for all the dolts...call me a whiner, call me insane, tell me there's 100 counters to a saber throw, it only means:

1. You're a coward and obviously depend on saber throwing since you lack any true melee skill.

2. You dont have the slightest clue what good sportsmanship is.

3. You're a teenager, new to online gaming and think you know everything.

4. You have no love for the Star Wars Universe and Jedi dueling, you just want to win, no matter how cheap in doing it.

5. You have no honor, because its easy to be honorless behind a computer, in the comfort of your own home.

Raven, when you implement a cowardly offensive move, the majority will use it. They're called 'lamers' and will always find the cheapest way to win, guaranteed. Please dont give this game away to lamers, like every other game. I have never said anything about force powers, guns vs. sabers, I personally think its perfectly balanced. Throwing sabers in a duel is a tragedy.

Thanks for listening.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will neither call you a whiner nor insane, but maybe, just maybe... take a breath?

Now since you don't want to know about the 100 ways of blocking saber throw *shrug* Ok, then I won't say anything about those either, but I will say something about 'saber throw not fitting into the SW universe".

There are several things in JO that 'don't fit into the SW universe', with having more than 3 saber colors being one of them. You wouldn't complain that JO contains non-canonical colors like orange, yellow and purple, right? Since originally there are only three: red, blue, green.

Now, a saber throw is a logical composition of force elements like telekinesis and and established SW features like a lightsaber. So what? And just because we don't see Luke throwing his saber all around that just means it isn't his style. So what?

And about that teen etc. business... now who's reacting childish here? I know what you're talking of and yes, it's irritating at times - but it's not like all people were doing it. Maybe try some other servers?

Digital_Ronin

:tied:

Originally posted by Sithdrone

3. You're a teenager, new to online gaming and think you know everything.

well i dunno how old you are but im 14 which is often classified as a teenager and i do not think i know everyting, so i find that quite insulting....the thing is what the hell is wrong with saber throw ????

somone tell me please, i cant think of anything, i mean 1st. does almost no damage unless a direct hit. 2nd is easy to dodge. 3rd its a good tool to start a duel or attack someone if they ran away from u during the duel.....etc etc i could say more but i dont see the point...sorry Sithdrone but i DONT think u have a god point there.

of course i will let u have your own oppinion, but yeah, just my thoughts

i agree with you saber throwing is lame, just like people killing you in FFA when you want to challenge them. My opinion is that the majority of the JO players just don't appeciate SW enough to play the game, the way it should be played.

Oh yeah, maybe in the movies there where only three saber colors, but if you've read the books you should know that there are more colors. I believe it has something to do with a crystal used to create a lightsaber (don't remember that to well). Oh yeah in JKI, didn't kyle have a yellow lightsaber?

[[GS]]Slicer

Don't turn to the Dark Side.

It's a great tool... when used every 30 seconds or so, max. I don't think the people complaining about cheapness are half the whiners the people saying "but it's a tactic, it's not cheating, it's in the game, and it lets me win, so I gotta use it" are.

Right, there wasn't a lot of moving sabers with the Force in the movies, and there were only three saber colors. And there wasn't Darth Vader hiding near the pit tossing Rebels in as they walked by oblivious, and Luke didn't run backwards at light speed tossing his saber as his only move (besides level 3 drain). Those are okay too, right? Those are sportsmanlike!

"Hey, they work! I'm winning! So it's fair! The developers put it in! It's balanced! You're just mad 'cause I beat you by tossing the saber into you three times a second! Whiner!"

BTW, this isn't you, Digital... and there are good servers out there. It's just frustrating to see people playing who think this is Rocket Arena. (Or Drain-and-Grip Arena, etc. But it's fair because it's in the game!!)

sorry Millions o' Monkeys, you might be the rare exception, but most teens are new to online gaming and sink very low when it comes to winning and impresssing their friends. I've seen it in every online game, never fails. Wether they play with all the hacks they could find or find the cheapest exploit to win, many games have gone down the drain. As an admin, every cheater I've talked with turned out to be 15-18. Sad, but true. The word 'kiddies' didnt come from no where. Again, you might be fine, but your age group as a whole is not. Be an example to your peers, thats all I can say.

And about if I know how to counter it, please. Thats not the point. The point is I'm dueling you to fight up close, not for you to run like a pansie, throwing your saber and turning it into a fisher price duel.

you have to be a complete newbie to get killed by saber throw constantly. maybe you should stop mashing your mouse and swinging your saber around in the air and you could acually BLOCK the throws!!

edit: ROFLMAO AT POWER EDS REPLY

Originally posted by Prox Kolari

And there wasn't Darth Vader hiding near the pit tossing Rebels in as they walked by oblivious, and Luke didn't run backwards at light speed tossing his saber as his only move

ROFL

..would have been so cool though,, imagine it in your head: Vader.. hiding.. one unlucky rebel comes wandering by... when suddenly.. Vader would force grip the sob going "MUAHAHAHA, I AM YOUR FATHER" then toss him into a pit, and quickly run and hide againg, waiting for the next dude to pass by...

am i the only one who would have really loved to see that?

"you have to be a complete newbie to get killed by saber throw constantly"

toolbox, when and where did I ever say I lost? I'm talking about something entirely different here, get a clue.

oh wait you use "ROFLMAO"...how typically typical. Where did you learn that expression, hanging out in irc all day with your gay friends? Might be a little hard finding that clue with your testacle in place of your brain.

whoever said its easy to dodge/block sabers, it doesn't matter. Since both of you have equal force powers in an FFA duel you wil never catch him if he doesn't want you to. Along with the fact saber throw sometimes passes through a block, and also that its hard to land a hit when the player is constantly making you roll/jump etc.

"toolbox, when and where did I ever say I lost? I'm talking about something entirely different here, get a clue."

talking about somthing different? what the ****? your only whinging about SABER THROW because you obviously are new to the game and cant beat people who use it. why else would you be whinging about it? idiot. plus honor? well it is so honorless you could call jkii a...... COMPUTER GAME?? so please try to make an effort to kindly shut the **** up you stupid ****ing ****, you idiot.

Originally posted by Sithdrone

In the last 72 hours, I did a test.

I dueled 100 people. 98 of them constantly threw their sabers.

Its so out of place, it makes absolutely no sense.

Dueling is a virtual joke.

Now for all the dolts...call me a whiner, call me insane, tell me there's 100 counters to a saber throw, it only means:

1) I have never said anything about force powers, guns vs.

sabers, I personally think its perfectly balanced.

Thanks for listening.

STFU NOW K THANX

Sithdrone, you spark me as a icy and remorseless man - it chills my bones just to look at you.

Your simplistic arguement disgusts me to the utmost extreme. My stomach was filled with an acidic bile that distorted my facial features when I read your insufficient post. The fact that you lack the finesse and grace required not only to utilise a lightsabre, but to master it is a great disservice to yourself, and a dishonour to your family. The basic idea that you lack the skill required to defend yourself against all forms of attack is one that is laughable, and one that shows your dissipated morals and value-system.

You sir, are a disgrace to all those who show true poise and purpose when ever they swing their sabre with mastery and knowledge that surpasses The Great Library of Egypt. You insidious ideals and the fact that you have to enter this forum and immediatly attempt to put across an already invalid and obsolete point shows your complete lack of respect to the Jedi Order.

I cannot fathom the degree in which you openly desacrate us sabre purists by posting this ignorant compilation of thrown out household goods that represent the basis of your post, and all subsequent posts that you have made so far within this thread.

I sentance you to two life sentances, one for each of your victims. SO BE IT. *hits gavel*

-Hobo

[RXz]

Sithdrone, the problem is your anecdotal evidence that "98% of people constantly threw their sabers" simply doesn't ring true for the majority of us who are reading your thread! The whole tone and nature of that opening remark is basically trolling at best...

I am curious though as to the criteria you supposedly used to differentiate between someone who "constantly threw" their saber, someone who "occasionally threw" one and someone who threw it maybe just once? To me "constantly throwing" really means using saber-throw to the exclusion of all other force powers...

The chances that 100 seperate players all used just this one tactic are somewhat astronomical. Secondly if you "constantly throw" your saber, you would quickly run out of force-power and be quite vulnerable to ranged attacks (darkside) or force-protected (lightside) melee. Thirdly if you are strange enough to actually count "98 people in 100 duels over 72 hours", you are unlikely to want to debate your "findings" here. These "facts" are now gospell to you and no matter what is said, you not going to be persuaded.

Basically, the only way that I can really see your remarks being remotely true is if you either set up the test unfairly (eg. server name = Thrown saber duelling only!" etc.) or your own tactics were to blame. What I mean by this is that if you insisted on force-jumping to a particularly obscure ledge, then maybe, (just maybe) those people were set up into throwing their sabers just to reach you etc.

From what I can see, not many people here can even see your problem with the balance. I suggest you find a way to deal with it yourself. Otherwise...

[mind trick]

This is not the game you're looking for...

[/mind trick]

j/k! :p

Someone send Sithdrone a picture of a real female human being so when I tell him to have sex with a girl, for the first time in is life he will be able to do so as so far his trollness has proven he has never been laid in his life. So like I said, once he finds out what women look like perhaps he can get sex and stop his trollish posts. (after an orgasim or two he shouldnt have any of his built up agression left in him)

This probably made no sense so to sum it up:

Sithdrone, get ****ed.

I think excessive throwing in duels can become quite irritating. I've done a bit of that and it works too well. Only two people have actually been able to beat me when I threw. It's just irritating when people rely on it so much. I'm trying to improve my slashing but i can't when people rely on throwing. In return I become provoked to throw too and the duel totally underminds my intent, which is to duel with slashing only. In my experience I have not seen much success in the suggested tactics to counter excessive throwing so don't assume that I like the "skill". To assume that would be absurd because I'm usually the excessive thrower, when the situation demands. ie. My opponent is throwing.

By the way, if you are going to attack my opinion you better have substance in it and you better point out what your substance is.

Archived