Home

The Saberist Code: One Step Ahead - READ

Soul-Burn

Would you join the Code?  

351 members have voted

1. 1. Would you join the Code?

• Yes, good ideas!
    • No, I won't, but I will play nice to SCers.
    • No, this is really stupid, and i'm gonna kill everyone following this code.

After reading threads about the "code of honor" etc, I would like to take this one step further. Read on:

The Saberist Code is here to create a better community of JK2 players, to enhance the fun and increase the level of players. You may or may not agree with these concepts, but if you do, it's appreciated.

The code, as I see it, consists of these ideas:

1. A player agreeing to the code won't attack a person with a closed saber on purpose, won't attack a person who symbols for non-agression. This talks only about "ON PURPOSE". If you attack someone and they closed the saber while you attacked, it's not your fault.

2. A person who doesn't want to fight will close his saber and stay out of fighting zones.

3. A person looking for a duel, will also close his saber. The difference is, that if person challages you, you may look left-right, as in No, to show you are only spectating.

4. Definition of "duel":

A duel is when 2 or 3 players agree that they want to fight, one vs one and attack eachother and eachother only. Either they are in game "duel mode" or simply fighting only themselves.

5. A person will never interrupt a duel.

6. Definition of "lamer"/"against the code":

Anyone who doesn't act by the concepts above OR abuses them. That means, you may not attack someone and then when they retaliate, you close the saber and call them lame. This is very bad.

7. Shall a group of people going by the code are in a certain place, with their sabers closed, or when dueling. If a "lamer" comes and attacks the duelers or the closed saber person, they should note it and all together or one-by-one kill him or atleast make him leave. This concept is very important since it's the only way to fight "lamers". This also includes weapon servers. If a "lamer" attacks 2 duelers, you (the duel spectator) should kill him in any means.

8. Also, should a vote be cast against a certain lamer, all players in the code should vote.

9. A person with his saber open, not attacking, should be regarded as one looking for a duel, therefore, you may not attack them until you both agree you want to fight, either by taunting or showing an agressive move.

10. These ideas apply only when the number of followers of the code exceeds the number of lamers/unlightened people on the server. This is since you can't force the code on anyone. Although in maps like ffa_bespin, the duelers can go to the ring and the rules will apply only there as this is the best dueling spot in the map.

11. Anyone who hasn't been marked as a lamer should be regarded as neutral.

12. If you follow the code and want to note it to the server, place the tag SC in the end of your nickname. For example: Soul-Burn -SC-

Note that this only shows you ARE following the code. Should a person hold the tag without following the code, he should be noted and dealt with. Anyone who doesn't have SC will be regarded as neutral.

This is my idealogy. Any comments are welcome.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9. A person with his saber open, not attacking, should be regarded as one looking for a duel, therefore, you may not attack them until you both agree you want to fight, either by taunting or showing an agressive move.

this one i disagree with.. otherwise cool

The concept behind number 9 is that a person that doesn't read the forum/is new but wanna learn and play well, will be regarded as ok... tho if he acts like a follower of the code, people should tell him that he should close his saber in those cases.

This code is enforcable by the people that follow it and when their number is bigger than the number of lamers, they act as written. Someone comes and lames, they kill him.

And on some servers, the normal game is with a code like this. Unwritten.

I've heard ppl play like this on Ausgamers, and I played like this on "very.undone" UK server. I don't live there, and I get lousy pings (150+) but the ppl there usually play nicely.

Only by the will and act of the -SC- community itself. If enough people join, it would become a movement to be reckonded with.

Let's try it. I'm no idealist, and I maybe it won't work - but if everyone doesn't even try it in the first place it won't work for SURE.

Just like the recycling movement - if everyone said "I'm just a single human, how could I make a difference?" then it's true, he WON'T ever make a difference.

So come on people, join and see what becomes of it.

Digital_Ronin -SC-

:tied:

Note, it's not like a clan. It's like a way of playing...

If any of you used to play Team Fortress Classic, you've heard of -TPF-. That's a tag players put to show they think Team Play First. Therefore, don't care about personal score but for team advantage like the game should be.

This is here to play sabers like supposed to (I think), dueling and honor.

I used to not attack people with their sabers down.

Then I ran into people who would wait till you ran by them and throw it at your back. Or people that push you down if you get to close to them.

I attack anyone now. If I give them a couple whacks and they don't fight back I usually leave them alone.

I will follow no code.

I like your ideas here. I think the beauty of what you propose is that it covers all the key things that people who want to follow a code require (sabres down, duelling rules, etc) and doesn't even touch the more controversial 'tactics' (sabre throwing, grip-drain, bowing, etc).

Not sure if I'd sign - I certainly already abide by most of what you say, although I probably only actively pursue and kill the 'lamers' you describe about half the time - the other half I just avoid and ignore them as much as possible.

Overall - an attempt to impose ethical behaviour in a public setting? Hmmm, interesting philosophical question. Given how unlikley it is for all players to even know about this, let alone agree and sign on, I can't see how widespread you could make it. I guess this is where your rule 10 comes into play. (BTW - I wonder what proportion of people who play online follow or read anything of forums like this and know the debates, codes etc? Any rough ideas anyone?)

I guess the base question is, on a public server, if everyone has equal 'rights', can anyone (even a 'moral majority') impose a code of ethics, to the point of kicking people who interefere with it?

Please excuse my little philosophical indulgence here - I apologise if you think this is just meaningless talk. Overall, I like your ideas but I can't see this working on public servers in general. I think if you want this - have servers that are set up with this specifically in mind, for example - in the text about the server that you see when joining, emphasise duels and sabres down=peace. I understand some servers already do this.

However, I don't think the full force of this code (my main objection is Rule 8 - kicking people who don't follow it) can be enforced on any and every public server, even when dominated by people who do follow the code. I'll follow the intention of it, but I couldn't 'sign' it.

The kicking part can only work if 80% of the people want that person out, regardless of the code.

I'm pretty sure -TPF- in TFC started like this...

Also, as I noted, usually in evenings, it's pretty dominated by "code followers" in this server: very.undone UK JK2 Server - Saber Only | 62.3.90.1:28070.

Even before this "code" ever came up.

I like the idea, but, cynical as I am, can see no way you can ever get this to take hold.

There is a HORDE of people out there playing multiplayer games who have but one of two goals. Either :

1) To WIN at any cost, no matter what.

2) To RUIN everybody else's fun, because that's what gets them off.

Number 1 is bad enough, although to be fair you cannot really have anything against it, some people are so competitive that they just HAVE to win, others are sore losers. They'll never agree to your code, because if you stand somewhere with your saber closed, they figure you are an easy kill, and will alt repeater you.

Number 2 will do anything and everything to make sure that when you and others try to play by your code, or try to enforce it, it will screw up. These are the same people that enjoy newbie killing in MMORPG's, that cheat in any and all game they can, and that type 0\/\/N3D! when they score a lucky hit with a rocket launcher firing blindly into an alley somewhere.

Since number 1 is about 20%? and number 2 about 60%? of the online population, I think there is a very small chance of ever getting this to work.

Still, the idea is solid. Perhaps some server admins can set up servers that abide by this code. Don't follow it and you're out. On just any old public server, I don't see it happening :(

Creston

Fantasizing your own set of rules for Internet deathmatches is a recipe for dissappointment. Even if it works, you will merely succeed in creating an elitist clique. These rules have been created for Quake, Quake2, Hexen2, Drakan, Unreal, UT and Heretic2, just to name a few. It has always divided the community, never united it.

If you want to create game rules, that's great. Make a mod. Otherwise it's an utter waste of time.

It works !!

After reading this msg I Went online and put -SC- into my name..

the first game I see.. I meet a -SC-

It felt really good.. knowing a little what kind of person the opponent was..

So the rest fragged it out in the streets and we dueled on the platform.

GO -SC-

:c3po:

Archived