Home

The Saberist Code: One Step Ahead - READ

Soul-Burn

Would you join the Code?  

351 members have voted

1. 1. Would you join the Code?

• Yes, good ideas!
    • No, I won't, but I will play nice to SCers.
    • No, this is really stupid, and i'm gonna kill everyone following this code.

Mmm, lovely idea (I have a similar idea, which was inspired by the Code of Honour thread)

Just as a little notice to go in this thread, I've taken the following actions:

1) Registered a domain name

2) Started the web design work on a site

3) Writing some documentation for my new project, that revolves around an idea such as this.

In Tribes (in Australia, at least), there was a group called Team Players Guild, which, as the name suggests, they'd do whatever they could to make certain the team won, as their own score was irrelevant. This Guild had IIRC, around 100-150 members, and it was attracting more and more people from the tribes community in AU to join it.

I am proposing a similar thing, which is called the Jedi Duelists Guild. Now, the way I see it, it's like a clan, but not. It doesn't do clan wars. It doesn't interfere with clan stuff at all. It's simply membership into a Guild that is for saber duelists who would like to be in a Guild where they can easily track down people from the Guild who are playing in servers.

Retro/Shuri already knows about it, and he's already been asked to join (which he has). Membership is completely free for the Guild, but being in the Guild will give you some advantages, like access to private forums for guild members only, private resources, and most importantly, tournaments that are available to JDG members only (so who REALLY is the best dueller out of the lot? Thats what we aim to find out! :D :D ). We will also have JDG member only servers if we ever get any servers (hopefully we can)

While we would have a Code of Combat and Conduct (the CCC, as it may be), people wouldn't always have to follow the Code, as long as they didn't wear the [JDG] tag while not following the code.

I'm still hammering ideas out, and plodding along on the webpage (sigh, 3 am web dev work, boring!).

Anyone who is interested in this whole Jedi Duelists Guild idea, feel free to email me at the following address:

obi-cyph@ausradar.net. Ausradar.net is NOT the chosen domain name for the site, it's just another domain I happen to have, heh. Or you can private message me :)

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by power_ed

hi obi :-)

glad you taught me that 2 jump thing there :D

very cool indeed

good fights today

:duel:

ed <aka> Wasp -SC-

Yeah, I liked how you'd killed me at one point, and you were taunting over a body, so I ran over and started taunting, then I realised it was MY body. Taunting your own dead body isn't fun :)

and yeah, that 2 jump across the massassi temple is fun :)

Well i read your code and to be frank i have a few large problems with trying to force players to your way. If you want to create your own -SC- servers and enforce such rules that is all well and good, but you dont have the right to make ppl on standard public servers play your way or no way. As long as they arnt using cheats or officialy recognized exploits they have the right to play how ever they wish (team killing and the like are notable exceptions) as long as the server itself isnt set up with certain rules. Threats of kicking or hunting a player down because they wont use your code and dont have -sc- in their name is childish.

Myself i follow my own rules, i fight with honor and follow the practice you often find on no force no saber duel servers (walking up bowing and starting the fight once my oponent is done bowing). Its cool if ppl follow that code and i will respond in kind, those that dont i find out quickly and am ready for, i am always ready for someone to break that code and if they do break it they usualy gain nothing. For me if they dont want to follow that code its perfectly fine. Perhaps the best advice i can give is tolerance and to be ready for someone to break your code at all times.

In the end tags are nice and all but it wont have an effect on how i treat the person as i always give my opponent the chance to act honorably and base my choices on how they respond. I also wont wear a tag as my actions speak louder then any tag ever could.

Guest Krayt Tion

The best way to enforce such honor codes is to have your own server where you and other admins can legitimately enforce them with the power of kick/ban.

Outside of that, I have seen something similar to what's being discussed in DoD (Day of Defeat) and I would say it has been mildly successful at promoting solid team play. In that game it is called OwP; ideally, to wear this tag is to further designate yourself a team player who puts the team goals ahead of individual glory.

Those who wish to add the tag to the end of their name do so, those that don't, don't. There isn't a lot of infighting between those with the tag and those without- infact, I would say I've never seen any while playing DoD. The tag has helped in the sense that it's given me comfort upon entering a server and seeing people with the tag, knowing that there were likely players in the game that cared enough about teamplay to go the extra step to promote it in their name. I could usually look forward to a solid team play experience based around myself and these people.

At the very least, when enough people have the tag, people in JO will start asking: "Damn what is that clan they must be huge I see them everywhere." It is then that the honor code can be promoted as it is explained to them what the tag really is. The tag will help proliferation of the honor code, if you start it off correctly.

Your ideology is too complicated to explain to people in-game how to follow. Also, there are too many rules on that list for my taste. I don't want to feel like I've Entered An All-Girls Catholic School Run by Nuns with Hard-Swinging Rulers every time I sport the tag. If you are serious about this catching on you should tone it down and get more public suggestions for it.

You cant stop people from cheating and this is supposed to do what? Soon you'll have people using cheats and hacks with this tag cause whos too stop them? Then the saberist code will be dead...you gona make them change it?

Look... You say that "THIS SPECIFIC CODE WILL DIE".

I agree. But what do you prefer:

1. People running wildly, backstabbing you while your trying to duel someone, attacking people that are in DUEL mode, not hurting them but really distracting them

2. People that won't back stab you or kill you when you're away or "here to help others".

You say that I want to force my ideas on others by hunting or kicking others. This is not what I said. The idea is that if someone acts badly, usually, most of the people want him out, regardless of these codes.

Also, I never said to HUNT anyone down, but if people are organized and someone (1 person vs 7 who want to play nicely) comes just to ruin the game, they kill him, that's what he wanted after all, isn't it? He is the one who came to kill... so why shouldn't others team up against him?

You cant stop people from cheating and this is supposed to do what? Soon you'll have people using cheats and hacks with this tag cause whos too stop them? Then the saberist code will be dead...you gona make them change it?

I never said ANYTHING about cheating. This is about laming.

Hi, I'm the guy who started the "code of honor" thread, and I have some serious issues with your idea.

First, I agree with Mr Tim and NeonSamurai, that attempting to enforce a set of rules on others, on a server that you do not control, is a very questionable practice.

Second, rule #1 opens the door for abuse. What if I decide to turn off my saber mid-fight, because I'm low on health. You hit me, and I start crying fowl. The rest of the server didn't see what happened, so now they're assuming that you backstabbed me when I was disarmed, and they're hunting you down.

It's one thing to have a personal set of rules, but to have a public set of rules, that are not enforced in the game, and to try to enforce them on others in a public setting is asking for trouble. Furthermore, things like this stand a huge chance of becoming cliquish, exclusive, and will often end up tied down in beurocracy, as different "members" develop their own ideas of what should, and should not be enforced.

If you want to have a group code of honor, that's fine, but it must be passive. If someone chooses not to follow it on a public server, you'll simply have to except it. You can kill them if they attack you, but don't go calling a kickvote, or a group witch hunt, just because they're not playing the game the way YOU think they should.

The way I figure it should be, is that if two players see the -SC- in their names, they'll realize that they are both using the same code of honor, and will observe it as far as eachother goes. However, they'll also realize that anyone without the -SC- in their name, may not afford the same coutasy, and they simply won't let their guard down around those people, concerning issues not "acceptable" in the SC.

As it is now, I will not inclued -SC- in my name. However, if it is revized, taking the issues I brought up into consideration, I'll take it into reconsideration.

You have to keep in mind that those other, non-SC, players also (hopefully) paid their $50 for the game, the same as the rest of you (hopefully) did.

If you want so many @#(* silly rules why don't you make your own game? If the JKII team wanted this, maybe they'd have implemented some of them in some way.

When someone was low on health they could turn their saber off lol...

EDIT: I know something you need to try, a DUELING server. People cannot interfere there.

Another idea for me and all who thought this is stupid, and that was a good %. Put the -SC- tag in your name, then proceed to break every rule in the code as often as possible. Maybe I'll go do that now...

interesting idea, but as a practictioner of iai, i often like to turn my sabre off and kill "from the draw"

JK II isnt quite as detailed in this reguard as one would like but it still brings me a smile to dice someone from the crouch as they rush in on my closed sabre.

so.. a nice idea, but limited in its understanding of alternative honorable fighting styles

Originally posted by Armchair Athlet

If you want so many @#(* silly rules why don't you make your own game? If the JKII team wanted this, maybe they'd have implemented some of them in some way.

EDIT: I know something you need to try, a DUELING server. People cannot interfere there.

Another idea for me and all who thought this is stupid, and that was a good %. Put the -SC- tag in your name, then proceed to break every rule in the code as often as possible. Maybe I'll go do that now...

why on earth would you do that? i mean.. lets be resonable here.. if you dont like the -sc- tag and the ideas that are behind.. fine.. why would you ruin it for others on purpose unless you were a bad person?

Nice idea, I'll certainly use it. Basically like most of you guys (odd this...) I'm an Aussie gamer and usually play on the no weapons no force ausgamers server. Everyone there seems to do this despite not having their little tag thingy. Still what I'd like to see more of is people teaching other people moves and things......

Originally posted by Phayyde

Fantasizing your own set of rules for Internet deathmatches is a recipe for dissappointment. Even if it works, you will merely succeed in creating an elitist clique. These rules have been created for Quake, Quake2, Hexen2, Drakan, Unreal, UT and Heretic2, just to name a few. It has always divided the community, never united it.

If you want to create game rules, that's great. Make a mod. Otherwise it's an utter waste of time.

I beg to differ on that Phayyde. As Soul-Burn mentioned above, there was a group called -TPF- in Team Fortress Classic, which showed they think Team Play First. There was also a group called TPG (Team Players Guild) for Tribes and I believe they are around in Tribes 2 as well.

All the tags really mean is that you'd like to play differently, think differently, etc. It's the same principle with -SC- and [JDG] if you really think about it. All the tags do is show that you like to play by these sets of rules, and if someone else wants to play by em, thats fine. If someone doesnt want to play by em, thats fine as well (in my opinion), as long as they respect other peoples views on how they want to play the game (which some people in this thread aren't really doing).

I don't really believe you'd create an elitist clique, I believe you'd create a group of players who like to play by these rules, who find it more enjoyable.

Onto the next post..

Originally posted by Armchair Athlet

In terms of making our own game, well, hah, I haven't heard a statement like that in a while.

1) We've already got the game, we (the people who'd like to) would just like to follow some rules of our own to make it more enjoyable to us. Nobody is forcing someone else to follow those rules, unless they join a server where those rules are ENFORCED. I'll point you to the [LiCk] server for a demonstration of that.

2) Its what some of us, in the community want. I played for the first time last night on the [LiCk] server, and had an absolute ball, it was brilliant to be able to sit there, and watch some guys go at it on some high ledge or similar, and just watch an awesome fight take place, where noone else interfered, or attacked you while watching.

And if you wanted to fight someone else who was spectating, you run up to them, bow, and if they bow back, you run off somewhere which isn't that crowded, and fight it out, and NO ONE WOULD INTERFERE. It made it very very damn enjoyable.

In regards to putting the -SC- tag in your name, and going round breaking the rules on purpose, thats pretty sad. All you'd really do is prove that you have the mentality of a 13 year old counter-strike player yelling out "CHEAT" every time he dies. Not that I'm saying you have the mentality of a 13 year old counter-strike player.

And thats your post dealt with, next up...

Originally posted by Kyth'emos

I agree with this post entirly, but I will not add a tag to my name. why ? well first I am in a clan and having two tags would be rather confusing, and second I dont need the help of someone else to decide what is honorable.

My thoughts on this thread is that no one is trying to decide for you what is honourable. All Soul-Burn did was post some ideas for a Code, not trying to decide for you what is honourable or not.

Having two tags isn't really that confusing, depending on how you do your name :)

If your clan has your clan tag before your name, it's rather simple really, and its not really a hassle if you've got the clan tag after your name either.

Clan tag before name: [clan tag]-name-[tag which shows you'd like to play by that code]

Clan tag after name: name-[clan tag]-[tag which shows you'd like to play by that code]

It's not really that confusing. *shrugs*

Doesn't work.

People who follow this method get hosed, and if you do follow this code, you will get very frustrated.

Good Idea, but you have to remember this is online. A place where people are willing to get kicked all night long just to Team Kill and such. How this is enjoyabel I don't know, but alot of great games have been ruined for me due to all the punks who get chubbed over ruining other peoples good time.:boushh:

Originally posted by CheshireKat

Doesn't work.

People who follow this method get hosed, and if you do follow this code, you will get very frustrated.

Good Idea, but you have to remember this is online. A place where people are willing to get kicked all night long just to Team Kill and such. How this is enjoyabel I don't know, but alot of great games have been ruined for me due to all the punks who get chubbed over ruining other peoples good time.:boushh:

Were you playing with anyone else who played by the code? If not, the fact that you were getting hosed would make sense.

Obviously it'll only work if you're playing with people who would follow the code as well.

Archived