Home

Skins...What's the point??

Evan Nash

Now, I LOVE skins, and I really dig all the work people are doing making new skins. It's really great.

But, is all this work going to be all for nothing since 99% of servers are PURE servers?

How can we enjoy all these new skins when we won't even be able to view them?

When Raven comes out with a patch, they need to make it so we can still wear/see skins that others have, yet still prevent all the other hacks/cheats that a PURE server was made for.

Maps are different because if a map is really good, the server will use it. But with soon-to-be hundreds of skins, there's no chance the servers will have every single one of them or even 5 of them on their server.

The only way you can see all the skins is if you play on a friends server or start your own server, but that's not really fun. I like to play with other people.

The SDK will end up being used only for maps, not skins.

Sure, maybe one day someone will make a "Big Fluffy Pack" for all to use, but who is that person to decide what skins he/she thinks should be the "best of the best"?

Am I alone on this?

You definately aren't alone on this...But I do think that BFP will be the solution...I remember for Jedi Knight that the BFP wasn't really someone who decided what skins or the best or what not, it was just a collection of all the skins available minus the skins that were made for someone...(I.E. If I were to make a skin of myself....) I think that will more than solve our problems....

Now, if we can make a single player Duel of the Fates level...Imagine that, fighting a super hard Darth Maul with a double saber and an A.I. Qui Gonn...I wonder how plausible that would be...

Yes, perhaps, but what about all the different versions of the Maul skins we have?

We have like nearly 5 or 6 now, and once the SDK is out, even more.

Who will decide which one is the best?

I just want Raven to do something about this. We shouldn't have to rely on a skin pack to get what we want...

Actually heres the deal.

Servers running sv_pure 1 CAN use 3rd party skins.

Pure server settings do not in any way disallow the server or the client to have 3rd party skins installed. sv_pure only checks the game data pk3 files assets0.pk3 and assets1.pk3 to ensure that none of the original game data has been altered. If your skins are installed, as all skins are, in their own seperate pk3 files, then there is no issue.

I run a pure server with several skins I've downloaded and if you've got the same skins, you will have them as a skin selection menu choice if you play on a server that has them.

I understand your confusion, but sv_pure does not disable 3rd party additions to the game, if it did, mods wouldn't even be possible. And since theres no end to the amount of mods availible for Q3A, I think you see my point.

If you have these in the server, those options become pure if you get my meaning. Its just that alot of the server either dont run these new things because they dont know about them, they dont like them, or they dont want to have alow downloads set to bring lag. A pure server means anything that the server has, not just default game options.

It's the same story in every FPS. A ton of maps will come out and so will skins but server admins don't want to download all that crap and players don't either. Look at Q3A. As much skins and maps that are out there few servers run them. It is to much bother. Now luck at UT where Epic would release a bonus pack with skins. Since it was done by Epic many felt it would be safe and popular so alot of servers ran it. Raven should do a BFP to keep the game fresh.

Archived