Home

Greetings!

Guest Garry_M_Gaber

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:fett:Hey, Mr. Gaber, I heard that the Trandoshans will only be available in the scenario editor and as the computer-played enemy in the Wookie campaign. I hope I speak for all future GB players when I say that that is just torture to have a civ in the game that isn't availabe in the standard skirmish games and campaigns. I would love to see the Trandoshans and any other non-players civs maybe added when (and if) you guys release the expansion for GB. :fett:

I noticed on the Wookie screens that some of the naval units were quite small compared to the Wookies themselves. Am I mistaken or has that been fixed?

Also I'd like to add how cool I think it is that you do this. You have no idea how long I waited to ask you some of these questions.

Speaking of questions, I almost forgot one that's really been bugging me: Will mechs, air and naval units come with pilots in them or will the player need to put one in? If we have to put them in, it seems like that would waist some of you population limit space, unless vehicles don't count toward that.

Oh! and I heard something really wierd: that with the Trade Federation you can have up to 800 battle droids! Is that true? If it is are the battle droids weaker than other units and therefore that makes up for the insane numbers or what?

:fett:

Guest Admiral Odin

Thank you for listening to all the questions, I think your the first person to actually listen and talk to a gaming community waiting for a game.

1.The wookies being a brand new civ, what kind of air units will they have?

2.What kind of chance is there for an expansion to GB?

3.If time, and other limitations were not placed on you, how many civs would you love to see in GB and what are they?

what will happen to units in the at-ats when they are destroyed?(providing you can place units in them) can you put in sea units to be transported over land? what will happen to units in air transports (provided they have them) when they are destroyed over land?

what civ would you play? will you play some of us when the game comes out? are you looking for games testers.:D

Guest Rogue15

Hey, back off people. He's a busy man, and your questions are pointless as he's not listening. He just came and provided an update on the game, he did not tell you all to ask questions. He said there'd be a few surprises, if he answered all your questions, they wouldn't be surprises.

Originally posted by god

what will happen to units in the at-ats when they are destroyed?(providing you can place units in them) can you put in sea units to be transported over land? what will happen to units in air transports (provided they have them) when they are destroyed over land?

what civ would you play? will you play some of us when the game comes out? are you looking for games testers.:D

it would make sense if those units died as well. if you think about it, units it aok either used swords, arrows, and rocks (mangonels, etc.), there was no explosive devices used so units would logically survive. however, with lasers, bombs, etc. that is enough firepower to cause explosions of such that units transported should be terminated as well.

i don't think they'll be looking for testers. if they are, they already have an idea of who they want for their team.

Guest Garry_M_Gaber

Just a quick post to answer some of the questions you guys are asking:

PART 1:

In answer to Darth Rommel (8/21) I will post as much as I can while building the game. It almost certainly won't be on a regular interval, but I am always reading the posts you guys are putting up, so at least know I'm listening, if not posting.

We have a group of beta testers, Wraith 5 (8/21), but that doesn't preclude enlarging the beta test team in the future.

The date for the demo has not been decided yet, thrawn12786 (8/21), but as soon as I know, I'll pass it along. Marketing tells me that we'll be adding an option to the http://www.swgalacticbattlegrounds.com web site, which customers can use to sign up for a special Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds specific mailing list. This will be created so that they can receive emails about notable game-specific information -- such as the release date for the demo, gone gold, in store date, etc. This should be available on the site very shortly (probably even within the next few days.)

Jedi will not be able to deflect lasers, but they are rather strong in defense and offense against vehicles that fire them. No TIE Defenders, B-wings, E-wings or K-wings are currently planned for the game. But we do have A-wings, X-wings and Y-wings, amongst others. X-wings opening and closing S-foils is an item we are currently looking into - we're not sure how to do it and maintain delineation between units, but we're investigating. No promises here. AT-AT's and MTT's are in the Assault Mech class, and can hold 10 troopers or Scouts (translation:Speeder Bikes) each. The Steadfast is the Assault Mech on the Naboo side. It is a very cool, newly designed vehicle culled from unused concept drawings for Episode 1. There will be independant Sith and Jedi units, two sides of the same coin, but specific art, voice and sound differences. Thrawn, the Chiss, and Nohgri are not currently included in the game. Special weapons and actions, where they exist in the game, do not have to be specially researched. There are unit formations, and because of some of the added units in our game, the formations will have more of an effect on gameplay. The Star Wars universe is vast - there would always be content for an X-pack. If you convert a worker unit, you would only be able to build your own buildings. And in answer to your later question - we're always updating the screenshots.

In answer to Rdog22 (8/21), the characters will have special tweaks that make them cooler than the other units (i.e. more hit points, regeneration, faster fighter rate, etc.) Yes, there will be bonuses for every civ. The Rebels are really good with Air units, and have a slight farming bonus. The Empire is extraordinarily well set up with Mechs. The Gungans are great in the sea. Gungan Bongos (submarines) can traverse water. The regular troopers do not swim. Lots of neutral forces and buildings are on the map during a campaign. Some of these include Theedian buildings, Bespin buildings, Kaadu, Wampas, Rontos. The Wookiees and Naboo have a specific set of art, voice and sounds. The Wookiee aircraft/spacecraft and Naboo mechs are particularly cool. Shield Modifications are a specific upgrade for aircraft/spacecraft that grants shields. Wookiee Jetpacks increase the speed of Berserkers.

Yes, Kvan (8/21), there will be other alien units showing up on the various civilizations.

Yes, observer_20000 (8/21), the units that you would logically think would talk in English (i.e. stormtroopers), do, and you can understand what they're saying.

There are no mines or underground defenses currently planned, Lord JayVizIon (8/21). Dagobah, Naboo, Tatooine and Hoth are also planned, in addition to many others. I think I've answered your other questions earlier, so I'll say see above. :)

Formations are extremely close to the implementation in AOK, darthfergie (8/21). The Trade Federation can have 800 droids at your control in single-player campaign mode. In standard and multiplayer modes, 200 is the limit for all civs. I hope I cleared that up. We wouldn't have put Navies in the game if we didn't think they were compelling and important to gameplay. Play against the Gungans, and tell me what you think. . . :) Art is going through a lot of changes on a regular basis. That was an early screenshot of water units. The scale has changed significantly, and the plan is currently in place to have them partially submerged in the water.

We have improved the code of AOK whereever it was possible, Sherack Nhar (8/21). I would have no time to work on any other projects than Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds. It's more than a full time job. As for after the game goes gold, I might work on another project called "Rest and Relaxation" ;) Sorry, I can't really comment on future projects, but if something were to start up, I would tell you guys as soon as I could. Chris Williams (the much praised lead artist), and others are always consulted for these posts whenever necessary. I'll try and get Chris to post for you guys, but he is a very busy man.

There is a class called Mounted Units in the game. They are created in the Troop Center along with the other troopers. We haven't posted all of the units, Darth Maul (8/21), because we have to leave some things for you to discover. . .

The Rebel Transport is not a trade vessel - it is an Air Transport, Paragon_Leon (8/21). The Cargo Hovercraft is the trade vessel in the game. You will be able to place and control the Millenium Falcon in the scenario editor as well as in single player missions. It is a little too specialized to be a producable unit in any of the tech trees.

Hi, god (8/21)! That list is rather large, and I don't want to spoil all of the surprises. Other heroes in the game are Mara Jade, Anakin, and a Attitchitcuk, Chewbacca's father, amongst many others. The R2 models in the Hoth shot are worker droids. Naboo is pretty wrapped up in terms of art - we'll try to get some screenshots out there soon. And you're guess for the release date in November is accurate.

The Jedi will be able to use stealth in the game, hedning85 (8/21).

Ensemble still gets builds once a week, and sends up there feedback, Young David (8/21). We came up with the idea of the flashing villager independently from Ensemble.

It's just a case of great minds thinking alike :) We have made some changes to the different maps in the game modes, and it isn't exactly a one to one comparison. We have a lot of specific art on the maps, for instance, if you choose Tatooine in Star Wars Locales, you're going to see vaporators and Mos Eisley/Espa - style architecture dotted around the landscape. Regicide becomes Terminate the Commander. We mostly look at the forums to make sure we are addressing the pulse of the fans - are we going after things that you guys would like. If I could pick any engine, and AOK wasn't available, I might consider the Starcraft or C&C Red Alert 2 engine.

At the risk of ruining aircraft, brashin99451 (8/22) (hey - nice Force Commander name!), aircraft do hover while firing. The reason for this is controllability for the player. If an aircraft moves too much, it is very hard to fire at, or to select to do some other command. We went in a direction with aircraft that is more similar to Starcraft than C&C/Red Alert.

Terrain will have effects. Units are slower going uphill than down. Units will have different footsteps and trails depending on which terrain they are on, Master Yoda (8/22). Fighters can fire on other aircraft. Air Transports and Bombers cannot.

The campaign we are showing after the Return of the Jedi timeframe is the liberation of Kashyyyk, Baron Fel (8/22), the Wookiee homeworld. You face some familiar and not-so familiar foes there.

Fortress units can be upgraded to a better unit, Destroyer Droid (8/22). Destroyer Droids get a shield as part of that upgrade. The AT-AT (Assault Mech) costs 200 Food and 250 Nova as of this writing, but all costs are subject to change without notice. :)

Projectiles are still evolving, Paragon_Leon (8/22), and the frame-rate / animation is as detailed as the Trebuchet in AOK where the AT-AT is concerned. AT-AT's topple over and rot away when they are destroyed. Had to do a custom death for this one!

Thanks for the feedback, Captain Fett (8/23). There is a limitation as to how much you can cram on the disk, or produce art-wise/balance-wise, and we hope we've given enough stuff between the included civs and the scenario editor to keep your Star Wars civilization hunger satisfied. In answer to your next post, you almost certainly were looking at early screenshots of Wookiee naval units. We've been recently addressing scale across the game - most things have gotten bigger. As for pilots, you do not need to provide pilots for any units in the game. They all count as 1 toward the pop limit of 200.

Please see PART 2 for the rest of the reply. . .

Garry M. Gaber

Director

Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds

Guest Garry_M_Gaber

PART 2:

The Wookiees have the Blade (Bomber class), Agr (Fighter class), and Kettrifee Air Mover (Air Transport). They are all new designs. How many civs, Admiral Olin (8/23)? Like any other fan, I would want ALL the civs from the movies, books and comics. :)

The scenario editor, Generalchang (8/23) (hey wait - wrong franchise!), has a couple improvements under the hood, and available to the user as well - categories for the different tech classes, as well as more triggers for in-game scripting. Kaplaa!

god (8/23) - here's what happens: Land Transport units after the land transport is destroyed have a chance of surviving. Air and Sea Transported units die when the transport is destroyed. I would play all six civs, since they all have different benefits. My favorite right now is the Empire because of the AT-AT's and Stormtroopers.

I am pretty busy, Rogue15 (8/23), but I consider keeping up with you guys to be just as important as building the game. After all, the game is for all of you. As long as you don't mind my not setting a specific interval for showing up, and not answering EVERY question, I'll be able to keep doing so. And don't worry, this is a really deep game - lots of units, techs, buildings, campaigns, random maps, game modes, etc. I am only scratching the surface of information with my answers to your questions.

There is no explore command, god (8/23), but the scouts (speeder bikes) in Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds, are significantly faster than their counterparts in AOK, so you can explore the map a lot faster. Waypoints, as Darth_Rommel (8/23) suggests, are your best bet.

Again, thanks for your support, and I'll reconnect with you all later.

Garry M. Gaber

Director

Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds

Guest Tie Guy

Wow, thanks a lot.

just one more question if you don't mind....

AOK obviously has a huge impacts on the game, but are there any noticable features/aspects from other rts games like Red Alert 2 or Star Craft? Is that even legal? :D

Guest Sherack Nhar

Thank you Mr. Gaber, for taking the enormous time to post that much info. Thank you a lot.

I think it's a first in Lucasarts's history that the devs are really taking feedback from the fans to enhance their game. Way to go!

Oh, and I'll be waiting for some posts from Mr. Chris Williams!

Mr. Gaber,

I am dying to know: are there plans for an expansion after Episode II or III release? Hopefully you could add some of the new civs and maybe Trandoshans! I don't know too much about the Kaminoans and Geonosians in Episode II but from what I've heard, they'll make a great addition to the game!

It was soo great to see that you replied to my previous posts! Thanks so much! It's awesome to see you active with the customers. Not many other people do that.

thank you very much mr. gaber for taking the time to answer the significant questions. we understand that your time is limited, but thank you for providing us die hard star war fans with more knowledge on the game's progress as well as helping us leave our tongues hang out in awe as we wait for this game's arrival.:cool:

Guest Darth Maul Jr.

Is Gaber on right now? If so could i get an answer to my questions? and can you tell us why there are no new updates/screenshots?

mr gaber i would first like to just say thanks for showing up, i have looked at other boards like this on (not LA games) where the team making the game never even said anything.

I think it is great that you are even here reading what people are saying!!!

Now i have just one more question...

will we be able to play against you online when the game comes out??? :D

Archived