Home

MP runs GREAT, SP lags bad! Any help?

TheFitz

Ok, when I start in multiplayer mode I can set my graphics to 1024x768x32, everything turned up max and things work great. However, in single player mode, I have it down to 800x600x16, everything turned down to minimum with all "extras" turned off. It lags extremely badly, even the little space flight video clips are laggy (so bad even the sound is choppy). Does anyone have any ideas on what might be causing this?

System specs:

Athalon 1.1Ghz

Asus KT7A-RAID motherboard (uses Via chipset)

512 MB PC133 SDRAM

SBLive X-Gamer

2x30GB Western Digital Ultra ATA100 HDs in a RAID

Windows XP Pro

Linksys 10BaseT Ethernet Card

Latest drivers (including Via drivers) as of the posting of this message.

First of all, it's impossible for the game to lag in single player seeing as there is no transmission taking place. It simply can't happen.

Keep in mind that single player levels are far more complex than multiplayer levels, even with a dozen other people there. Granted, your problem seems a bit too drastic for this alone to be the cause, but it always contributes to single-player slowness.

Karl1982: While appreciate you being exacting, lag was a term I chose to try and reach a broad range of users understanding. It would be better said that it is choppy. Low FPS while playing, and video's are even choppy. Even the menu screen when I first load the game is choppy. And the Lucas Arts and Activision video's are choppy.

I got a response back from Lucas Arts tech support, and after a long back and forth conversation nothing was found to help the problem.

I also play Unreal Tournament, Anarchy Online, Dark Age of Camelot, Everquest, Quake 3 and Dungeon Seige. All of the above work flawlessly.

I have tweaked with every setting humanly possible and I can't increase performance.

CPU usage is pegged at 100% while running the game in single player, even when just at the menu screen after initially loading. This game doesn't like some aspect of my system and it's NOT the Quake3 engine not liking it (or multiplayer and Quake 3 itself wouldn't like it). It's something within Outcast itself.

I have just emerged from the second dark cave section (with those nasty buggers that crawl after you), and I am just now experiencing choppy, completely unplayable performance. It's quite unsettling to hit the fire button and not see the blast until 2 seconds later!

I tried lowering all the video settings to their lowest settings but nothing is helping.

I went back to saved earlier sections, and they all play fine. There doesn't seem to be anything outwardly complex about the textures or details of this level, so I can't understand why it's behaving this way.

I have an ATI All-in-Wonder 128 Pro 32, on a 256MB RAM, 700MHz, 40GB HD machine.

Archived