Home

This team based mod thing

CHIVs

This mod sounds very promising. I personally would love to see a huge networked battle (how many players does JKII support... 64?), and play as a stormtrooper blasting the hell out of Rebel scum on the Hoth offensive. Maybe even play as an AT-ST pilot, if this would be possible to incorporate (it was done in SP, so I doubt it's impossible). The Imperials would try to storm the base and prevent the transports from leaving, or whatever.

getting excited here...

As far as the Jedi issue is concerned, I think having an option to turn them on or off would be the best bet. I realize that the idea is to leave Jedi out of this for the most part, but I'm getting a mental picture of a lone Jedi tossing aside soldiers and swinging his way into battles as he tries to take down the next AT-ST. A fully-powered Jedi in this scenario would be someone to fear , not just the next assclown you hose with repeater alt-fire.

Without Jedi, this mod already looks like it would kick arse, but I think leaving the option in would greatly increase the scope of gameplay available in the mod.:fett:

Originally posted by TheJackal

Who would want to be a poor stormtrooper with a rifle and a few grenades when you can be a jedi with full force powers and a lightsaber?

That's the problem. If you incorperate Jedis. Make them have a server limit or something.

Jedis could be an 'elite' player class in that they're only available after a player gets x amount of kills or accomplishes y amount of objectives.

Secondly, once you're a jedi you start out with the least amount of force points AND you're only able to use the lightsabre and any of your force powers. At this stage you only get the 'neutral' force powers like the lightsabre skills and force jump, etc.

and if you are a jedi on the rebel team you should only get access to light powers and if you are a sith on the imperial side you only get access to dark powers.

thats a good idea marwynn... if there are jedi at all that is. i still like the idea of no jedi.

you know this sounds like it would be alot better on the half-life engine then the Q3 made for JO.

if you don't have the froce powers in the game whats the point? maybe you should just give every one a few powers? make it so each person can only have 1 power?

and they can only pick from 3 or 4 that come with the game, ex: jump lvl 2 or 3(1 is to week), heal lvl 1(2and 3 would be to powerful), mind trick(but it could make the aim poor for fowes or better or allies), and maybe speed lvl 1 or 2(nfl-tail backs that were drafted to the armed forces). i think something on these lines would be better then taking out the froce powers. t

hey wouldn't be "JEDI" but they could have powers that nobody else does, you could give them names for what they do and have skins for that job.

but hey thats just my 2cents..............................................................................................

If I don't kill you who will?

Okay. First, let me say that I dearly enjoy the lightsaber combat in JKO. I am thankful for Raven and Lucas Arts for that lovely piece of greatness. The saber combat is something that has made this game worth a great deal to me. Love doing it. HOWEVER, when I first read about the Rebel Strike mod, I said, "Hell YEAH, this will be great...Hoth...Endor...". Okay. So, my opinion is that this mod should not feature Jedis. We can't have EVERYONE be happy at once. On the flip side, we can. This will just be a mod without Jedi, but will still be fun. Hell, I'm actually hoping for a run through the Endor moon a speeder bike...that would be completely BADASS! You don't need Jedi for that! You also don't need Jedi to have a large assault of troops running at each other on Hoth. You just go for it, and strategize. The Jedi were "All but extinct" during the period when this mod is taking place, and I don't think, because it is a TEAM PLAY mod, that any Jedi should be allowed. Nor do I think that Luke should be on Hoth or Endor. I think that Han Solo's pistol would be cool, also. ;)

Well, to be honest, the idea behind this mod has interested me since I first heard about it. Again, a "quake 3 star wars mod", eh, not really. I mean, ok, yeah, the majority of the changes to the game had to be for the lightsaber and force powers, etc., but I honestly think letting everyone run around as a jedi is kind of cheap. It can be fun, yes, but getting gripped and flung off a ledge loses its appeal after the 20,000th time.

Sooo, first off, to those of you miffed by the lack of jedi: it's not the end of the world. There will be other mods (and even more that will not interest you). After all, this is the mod team's decision more than anyone else's. Besides, who's to say that, at a later date, they WON'T add jedi in some way, shape, or form?

To the Rebel Strike team: loving the idea, also hoping for the SDK soon, because I want to get knee deep in mapping again, dammit! Anyways, keep it up, you have exactly 2 months from the release of the SDK to release this mod, dangit! (j/k, of course ;)) Oh, and a suggestion: If, at some point, you decide to slap some jedi in on the fights, you might consider using the system Day of Defeat has concerning snipers and machinegunners. It's a server-specific option that allows a set number of those two classes (or, if the admin feels like it, EVERY class) on one team at the same time. Example: Two snipers per team, one MG per team, and the rest of the players (let's say, the 13 players left on the team) must choose from one of the other classes (light inf, sargeant, inf support).

If that was applied to jedi, the server admin could customize the mod to his/her liking, AND it would give a nice dynamic to the gameplay, because, honestly, nothing would make a stormie run for a quick change of pants more than a jedi hacking apart his comrades. Also, this method basically prevents everyone from simply being a jedi and forgetting about the other classes. (unless the server admin allows a massive amount of jedi, that is, or, conversely, outlaws them completely) Still, I love the idea even without jedi, but a lot of people seem miffed by it.

Just as I'm about to say good luck with the mod and all that stuff, I come up with another idea of limiting jedi...damn my mind. Now, I know that jedi are, effectively, the supersoldiers of their day, even though they're really not soldiers, but for the purpose of promoting firefights and such.. perhaps limiting a jedi to their lightsaber and possibly a blaster pistol would level out their theoretical invincibility? Doing this would effectively make them all but worthless in a firefight UNLESS they're organized enough to have the jedi move out in front, blocking blaster shots like a madman, while his team manuevers into better positions, or something like that. Effectively this would limit the jedi to more of a team player, due to his limited attack range. He'd be more of an asset for the whole team rather than a rambo-type god player who can mow everyone and everything down at the touch of a button. The pistol, well, the pistol is more of a token thing than an actual weapon. I mean, most of the well-traveled people in the SW movies were armed anyway.

Again, good luck with the mod, and I can see the point of not having jedi (you know, the whole Luke being the last of the jedi thing). I'm looking forward to this mod like no other currently announced JO mod, so keep us updated, or I unleash my lukewarm rage upon thine heads!

I wish I actually knew something about mapping or modeling, or else I'd ask to help with the mod. :/ But, as of now, I'm barely learning Gmax (I just finished the first lesson yesterday). But I still think the mod is a great idea, even without the Jedi. I agree, nothing like seeing different color laser criss cross across a battlefield. ;) Um...in a game, of course. Real life, it'd probably suck because you'd like...get like...hit and stuff...and like...you'd die...and that would suck... ;)

I think this mod shouldn't have Jedi's. It doesn't really fit to Starwars world, that some regular footsoldiers could take out a Jedi or a Sith lord.

It would be really cool to play as a stormtrooper against the Rebel scum in a TF like mod, without Jedi's and any of the force powers.

Also, I hope that you are going to model some new guns, especially a replasement for the disruptor rifle.

Guest HertogJan

First of all, it's nice to see the first MODs coming for JK2 :D

About the jedi thing: I think it should be a seperate class, you'd have classes like:

1. Normal Stormtrooper / Rebel

2. Heavy stormtrooper / Rebel (flechette, rocket)

3. Officer

4. Jedi Padawan (can carry a lightsaber + a gun)

5. Jedi Knight (can carry only a lightsaber)

Something like that, tell me what you think!

I've read almost everyone of these posts here on this thread, there are so many of them. I would like to thank all of you guys who've had ideas about the mod, the ones about jedi inclusion too of course :).

As I said,, I've read almost everyone here, and all ideas that you've posted has been read and noted (in my brain) and some will be directly trashed while some may come in use.

Maybe we should close this thread already, since it doesn't give us more on the subject really and since there wont be any Jedi inclusion. Maybe though, and just MAYBE, we will include Jedi at one of our VIP missions. With VIP I mean missions where a specific character plays a leading role. But that's all for now though.

Oh, and no famous characters from the movie, like Han Solo, Chewbacca, Luke Skywalker or,,, wamprats will be playable in the game.

/sincerely. Jim

NO JEDI. the guys with the concept for this mod are so right in this. NO JEDI k. You guys keep citing all these exceptions to the rules. But think about it... you are talking about a group of people in battle that dont make up 1% of the people ont he battle field. And what about battles going on outside of the scope of the story line to the OT. THERE WERE NO OTHER JEDI. So therefore in the majority of these battles going on in the 'galaxy far far away' there are no jedi. And even if you do have a jedi class, everyone will have to pick it since most likely their advantages would be obvious. If you weaken them to the point that they're even with everyone else, then it doesnt stay in line with the star wars world. And if you make it so that only one team has 1 of them or some thing, then you have guys talking trash to each other about who gets to be it.

One guy mentioned having prerequisites for jedi, ie kill count and objectives reached before becoming a jedi. Well, if you just wanna hop on a server for a couple rounds or something, you prolly cant accomplish that or wont be able to enjoy it. Second the number of people acquiring jedi status and staying on the server for a couple hours, (cuz damn I know I've started playing and had no clue I've been online for like 3 hours) you end up with tons of people being jedi and the soldier to jedi ratio is unbalanced.

Another guy mentions that it should be set so the players decide whether force powers and sabers are used. Um... thats more or less called jk2 without any mods.

Its best if they're left out from almost every standpoint.

Alright, one more time. IF Jedis were included they SHOULD be able to turn them ON/OFF like you currently can. You know, like you can right now in the MP game? IF that route weren't taken then what COULD be done is that it COULD be a class available only after a lot of kills and/or accomplishment of certain objectives. The Jedis shouldn't be available at every map, but on some maps that have a huge turning point in the war, there should be some.

I understand what Roger wants to do with this project, I really do: a war between Imperial and Rebel forces without the interference of the Force. What I want to say that this mod will eventually be compared - it already has been - with Counterstrike and Team Fortress 2 simply because it's that type of game with the JO modified Q3 engine.

What exactly can you change from the TF/CS formula? Guns are gonna be there, so are items, and classes have to be there as well. So instead of Terrorists you get Storm Troopers, instead of contemporary settings you get alien planets. It's the same modification to a game. Essentially, it's a translation of CS and TF for JKII. Without the added bit of the Jedi, that's what it'll be; a copy of someone else's good ideas.

Sure, you're gonna have originality in some respects; map making, class variance, etc. But the gameplay is the same as if it were on the HL engine and I was playing CS. Think about it, if JKII was never made, could this game be done on another engine? Yep, the Half-Life engine, the Unreal engine, the Q3 engine are some examples.

What the minority of us, the 'jedi-lovers', are saying is that this mod, as it currently stands, brings nothing new to the mod world. If someone were so inclined, a few models imported into RTCW and some tweaking would yield a team-based game set in the SW universe without the Jedis.

I agree that it does get tedious to see everyone with lightsabres whacking at each other silly, regardless of whether or not they are 'Light' or 'Dark'. A team based mod which can include jedis would be an extension of CS and TF, not a mere translation.

I'll shut up for now, and I'll wait till the new team can agree on a few details.

Hey :)

Since Rebel Strike and our team has merged, Roger, Magnus and I share the same responsibility for this mod. Now Roger is away until beginning of next week, but I'll still be here for answering you're questions.

So anyways. Well, ever since CS was released about 2 years ago, or more, I dunno really. Well ever since then, every game that has come out has been compared to CS. I can't blame you, 'cause I'm one of those drawing parallels between CS and Rebel Strike. Maybe I shouldn't, but at least I admit that this game, gameplay wise, is something like Counter-Strike.

Well what should I say? Congratulations Gooseman, you were first. Though theoretically not. The gameplay that Counter-Strike introduced wasn't that new in mind. Though it was one of the first being developed. As long as I've remembered, I've had this idea about a Star Wars mod too.

Well, look. We're not trying to copy anything, and we're not trying to revolutionize gameplay in any way. We're creating the game we wanna play.

I mean, adding the Jedi to Rebel Strike, would primarily destroy the balance (and the fun with this kinda mod) and it would only add one new feature to Counter-Strike, as you want to see it. So what does it matter when almost all the basic rules are the same; Two teams, goals, intense gameplay etc etc...

But if we, just for a little moment forget about CS,, say it never even existed. And then we just concentrate on Rebel Strike for a moment. Then when we do, what's wrong with it? It's got all he ingredients of a fun teambased multiplayer game. I just can't seem to understand why we always have to compare games to each other instead of taking them as they are.

Ok, I can admit that if these kinds of games were the only ones playable on the net, you would fall to sleep pretty soon. But when you come to think about it, are there really that many mods out there that deserves to get an A, that you would play more than just for a little while?

Well to the point already! lol. I'm just writing and writing...

What I want to say is that maybe the basic rules are the same. But, we will include things that will make it original. I mean, it is our spare time right, and we wouldn't want to waste it on a mod that wouldn't be fun to play. I can promise you that we will do everything we can to make this mod a great one.

/Best regards. Jim- Modleader at Rebel Strike crew.

That's the thing man, Rebel Strike doesn't exist in a mod-vacuum.

I for one didn't think that you weren't going to add something original to it. It's just that with all these mods today, they essentially are the same thing translated, recycled, painted over. Is that a bad thing. Nope. Am I going to download this when it's done. Hell, I'll probably start a server.

Looking back, I guess my words have misconstrued my intent: I wanted to encourage Roger and the team to do something more original. My intent was not to argue for the inclusion of Jedi solely, it was to broaden the scope of this newly-restarted mod.

At its core what is this mod going to be? Two teams gunning each other down while trying to accomplish objectives or keep the other guys from accomplishing theirs. Even if you add in force powers and jedis it's still the same deal.

What I wanted to do was for everyone, team member or not, to discuss what could take place in a mod like this. The sad thing is, this is what we all can come up with. So, I'll contribute some campaign ideas and such.

- Imperial Destroyer caught in an asteroid field and badly damaged. A small rebel incursion team is sent to take control of the vessel and any info within. They find information that suggests the invasion of Hoth, but the Rebels themselves are unable to communicate with the rest of the Alliance.

So, the rebels try to steer the destroyer towards the nearest friendly port and tell them what's going on. In the first 'round', the Imperials are defending the ship, while the rebels are invading. They stay in this mode until the rebels win, different map if the imperials win but the rebels will have to screw up the Imperial repair efforts. Etc.

- Slave traders protected by the Empire are ambushed by the Rebel Alliance in a small dusty outpost of a planet.

- Since Kyle Katarn was responsible for stealing the blueprints of the Death Star perhaps a campaign based around that?

In short, I encourage anyone reading this thread that has a unique idea for a Star Wars mod to contribute. If not, then feel free to add bits of originality to this mod and increase its coolness factor some more.

Marwynn,

Good words there. As you said, people has tried to come up with ideas that would make this mod better. And anyone shouldn't think that we're not grateful. To actually have these many people caring to write about it feels great.

I mean Rebelstrike may be like Counter-Strike in some aspects but what will make this mod in my opinion cooler, is that, first off it's Star Wars. Second, we will make maps with a little storyline and perhaps campaign modes for them so you will feel part of something bigger.

Anyways, I thank you for you're ideas and that campaign sounds cool. It's written down by now.

/Best Regards. Jim- Modleader at Rebel Strike crew

Thanx for your ideas.

But as stated, there will be no jedi in the mod. And for the classes, we haven't decided if it's gonna be hardcore class based or just losely.

But for that Team killing, we will most probably make a good solution for that...

/Best Regards. Jim- Modleader at Rebel Strike crew

I reckon more maps with HUGE drops and walkways etc, in keeping with the cooler jkii maps. It's really something charateristic of the starwars universe that makes it all so cool. And how about missions where tams have to 'match up the symbols' like in some of the single player levels, with squads going off in different directions to get different parts of the code etc...

Oh and lots of doors that go 'whoosh!' or go r e a l l y s l o w l y

And they open by switches (not nescesarily next to the door), some people seem to think this is star trek, jeez!

Yeah, those are the sort of campaign ideas.You could have a combination of wide open battles(Hoth) or more closed situations like the Tantive IV assault(which would make a great level).In terms of objective based coding, have a gander at Allied Assault, it uses the same basic engine, imagine what Omaha Beach would be like Star Wars style, with Imperial Landing Craft instead of Barges, and swarms of Stormtroopers charging up a Thicket of Laser fire as they try to breach the defences.

Or how about going through all the classic Star Wars games to look for inspiring events of Stormtroopers Vs Rebels, for instance the Last Stand of the Imperial Garrison on Abridon as the Abridon Rebels assaulted the Imperial Base, or the Attack on the Rebel Base on Yavin (from Battlegrounds or Force Commander).

Its all a case of looking for a few really good level ideas, and then working towards making them work.

Archived